AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

With my tax return coming in, I want to build the StD list I've always wanted, an Everchosen list.  So at a minimum, Archaon and at least 9 Varanguard.  I know that's probably literally trash, but I'm not the most competitive, but I do still like winning.  Would adding 40 marauders or some Iron Golems to objective hold/grab be a smart idea?

9 minutes ago, BaronBanana said:

With my tax return coming in, I want to build the StD list I've always wanted, an Everchosen list.  So at a minimum, Archaon and at least 9 Varanguard.  I know that's probably literally trash, but I'm not the most competitive, but I do still like winning.  Would adding 40 marauders or some Iron Golems to objective hold/grab be a smart idea?

Marauders are great, and particularly great with Archaon in a host of the everchosen, but I think a chaos sorcerer is pretty much mandatory with Archaon so it's worth trying to fit one in. Reroll saves on the big guy is massive to help keep him alive and rerolls to hit/wound are extremely important to make sure your 800 point investment doesn't randomly roll a bunch of 1s at the critical moment. Maybe 20 marauders, one unit of iron golems, and a sorcerer? 

23 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Marauders are great, and particularly great with Archaon in a host of the everchosen, but I think a chaos sorcerer is pretty much mandatory with Archaon so it's worth trying to fit one in. Reroll saves on the big guy is massive to help keep him alive and rerolls to hit/wound are extremely important to make sure your 800 point investment doesn't randomly roll a bunch of 1s at the critical moment. Maybe 20 marauders, one unit of iron golems, and a sorcerer? 

That's a pretty great idea.  All added in at a solid 1980 points, ayy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Whats the best way to play StD ? Idolators? 

I don't play competitively but from what I've read Idolators aren't a good Dread Legion (though the last errata certainly helped them). For the best list I think Marauders are pretty popular, and your choice of Legion determines what else you field.

• Like 1

I'm looking for some help on our Whispers of chaos spell. The wording says that, if any models are slain, that unit may not move until your next hero phase. The issue has arisen regarding what is intended with the term move. Im confident that this phrasing means that the other unit cannot move, charge, or pile in, but I played in a tournament this weekend in which this was challenged. My opponent believed it only referred to moves in the movement phase, and the TO wasn't willing to declare definitively either way. Has anyone found a good way to explain this, or is it spelled out somewhere (we couldn't find anything in the FAQ)? Looking to avoid this issue for the future because it's such a useful spell. 

11 hours ago, Graywater said:

I'm looking for some help on our Whispers of chaos spell. The wording says that, if any models are slain, that unit may not move until your next hero phase. The issue has arisen regarding what is intended with the term move. Im confident that this phrasing means that the other unit cannot move, charge, or pile in, but I played in a tournament this weekend in which this was challenged. My opponent believed it only referred to moves in the movement phase, and the TO wasn't willing to declare definitively either way. Has anyone found a good way to explain this, or is it spelled out somewhere (we couldn't find anything in the FAQ)? Looking to avoid this issue for the future because it's such a useful spell. 

Move is move, Normal movement, charge, pile in, anything.

Your TO got it wrong. This spell is banannas when it connects the good unit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kozokus said:

Move is move, Normal movement, charge, pile in, anything.

Your TO got it wrong. This spell is banannas when it connects the good unit.

This is the argument I made. My opponent made the assertion that when move is referenced in other areas, it is referring to a normal move (incorrect, but the TO went with this line of logic). Because of this, he wanted me to show where it says charges and pile ins are moves. Basically, we argued to a standstill and had to roll off on it.

P.S. it was put on a unit of hearthguard berzerkers in lords of the lodge, so it was a big deal. 

2 hours ago, Boar said:

It's in core rules. Also there is excerpt that names normal moves as those which are not charge or pile-ins, which shows that pile-ins and charges are moves just special kind of those.

Both of those are absolutely clear.

obraz.png.bbd0800f01f1974b5314e70e7c483b1b.pngobraz.png.6e08c10e1be5f8db5ea3c00be710cdd9.png

Ah perfect. This is 100% the kind of reference I needed- something in their writing that lists what a move is. Much appreciated.

Edited by Graywater
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys a questiom about chaos warshrine. If i play 2 of them. Can i cast same nurgle prayer 2 times in a single turn? Thx :)

There's no rule of 1 limitation on prayers currently, so yes you can cast the nurgle prayer twice. The only limitation is that the same unit cannot benefit from the same prayer more than once per turn.

• Like 1

Thought I'd give an update on my Idolators in our 1250 point leauge.

After clinching my first game against an Anvilguard Cities list in Knife to the Heart, I also took out game 2 against a predominantly Khorne Daemon list in Total Conquest. To be fair my opponent was relatively inexperienced and didnt play the objectives as well as he could have but was still a convincing win.

Games 3 and 4 were against Nurgle lists in Battle for the Pass (shrunk down to a 4' x 4' table) and Places of Arcane power. Both games were resounding losses for me as the Idolators could not go toe to toe with 20 Blight Kings in the Blight Cyst battalion or 40 Marauders with various Nurgle buffs on them. 

In both games I was super keen to use the desecrate command ability to turn off the gnarlmaw as that would have stopped their run and charge and given me a shot. Despite having first turn in game 3 I failed mask of darkness (because of course I did) while the wheel gave him +2" movement so he had models on the tree bottom on round 1 and the opportunity was lost. Still managed to kill 12 out of 20 blight kings but wasnt enough. 

In game 4 my opponent unexpected took first turn, buffed the 40 marauders with +1 attack from Glottkin, cast daemonic power and the spell that gives mortals on 6+ to hit in addition to normal damage (so mortals on 5+). Thanks to the tree they covered 23" and messed me up good. 7 of them were enough to kill my warshrine with mortal wounds alone and it felt very broken, and thats with me unbinding the spell that would have given them an extra wound each. The Glottkin held the centre all game so I did what I could to hold the outside objectives and was somehow still in it by round 4 but then the wheel of contagion allowed my opponent to choose a unit and do D3 mortal wounds, allowing them to finish off my sorcerer holding one objective which enabled them to focus their attention on the other one. With the tree still in play the marauders went from one corner of the field to the other to clear off my remaining objective at that was game.

Although I made some mistakes I really cant see what I could have done against either Nurgle list, other than be lucky enough to turn off the tree. My last 2 games will be against a Slaves Cabalist List which I have a chance against and an Ogre Bloodgullet list with a unit of 12 Gluttons which will not got well for me I think. If I can go 3-3 in this league with Idolators I will be happy but will let you all know either way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Thought I'd give an update on my Idolators in our 1250 point leauge.

After clinching my first game against an Anvilguard Cities list in Knife to the Heart, I also took out game 2 against a predominantly Khorne Daemon list in Total Conquest. To be fair my opponent was relatively inexperienced and didnt play the objectives as well as he could have but was still a convincing win.

Games 3 and 4 were against Nurgle lists in Battle for the Pass (shrunk down to a 4' x 4' table) and Places of Arcane power. Both games were resounding losses for me as the Idolators could not go toe to toe with 20 Blight Kings in the Blight Cyst battalion or 40 Marauders with various Nurgle buffs on them. 

In both games I was super keen to use the desecrate command ability to turn off the gnarlmaw as that would have stopped their run and charge and given me a shot. Despite having first turn in game 3 I failed mask of darkness (because of course I did) while the wheel gave him +2" movement so he had models on the tree bottom on round 1 and the opportunity was lost. Still managed to kill 12 out of 20 blight kings but wasnt enough. 

In game 4 my opponent unexpected took first turn, buffed the 40 marauders with +1 attack from Glottkin, cast daemonic power and the spell that gives mortals on 6+ to hit in addition to normal damage (so mortals on 5+). Thanks to the tree they covered 23" and messed me up good. 7 of them were enough to kill my warshrine with mortal wounds alone and it felt very broken, and thats with me unbinding the spell that would have given them an extra wound each. The Glottkin held the centre all game so I did what I could to hold the outside objectives and was somehow still in it by round 4 but then the wheel of contagion allowed my opponent to choose a unit and do D3 mortal wounds, allowing them to finish off my sorcerer holding one objective which enabled them to focus their attention on the other one. With the tree still in play the marauders went from one corner of the field to the other to clear off my remaining objective at that was game.

Although I made some mistakes I really cant see what I could have done against either Nurgle list, other than be lucky enough to turn off the tree. My last 2 games will be against a Slaves Cabalist List which I have a chance against and an Ogre Bloodgullet list with a unit of 12 Gluttons which will not got well for me I think. If I can go 3-3 in this league with Idolators I will be happy but will let you all know either way. 

Good Luck to you sir

• Thanks 1

I do Not have your list in mind, but your enemies really brought very hard lists to the table... 20 Blightkings on 1250...

However, against a build with few strong units there are some Tools to work with. First of all: screens. Put a cheap unit with many models up Front so that they can catch the First Charge and you can counter Charge. The Marauders die pretty fast when they are Attacked. The Sorcerer Lord on Manticore's spell can blast them into redundancy. The second Tool is Belakor, who can shut down one unit for a turn. Last but not least you need some tough heavy hitters. Karkadrak can work, Marauders, Chosen or properly buffed Lance Knights can do some work, especially with Support from the Chaos Lord on foot. 

Foe your next games: The Cabalists list can be rushed pretty well with a lot of Knights, they got the Mortal Wound save and get their numbers in quickly. However, pay attention to the teleport spell as the tactics might be to throw around Blobs of Marauders. 

The Bloodgullet list keeps saying Belakor in my ears. Other wise, if you can screen that big blob and crush the Rest of his army, that might be game over pretty quickly. Try to crush as much of his army as you can, then use Belakor to prevent a Counter Charge and mop up the Rest. The Gluttons can only get a hold of one Objective and IT is not really worth trying to  Kill them. Ravagers might be nice here as well so that you can resummon some folks of the Objectives. However, I think you want to Stick with Idolators. 

Edited by Salyx

So I played a tournament with slaves this past weekend. Just a 3 game 1 dayer. It was my first event with them, but I've decided that they will be my army for the year. Took the following list:

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Despoilers

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Axe
- Command Trait: Paragon of Ruin
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (230)
- Artefact: Armour of Tortured Souls
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Spell: Mask of Darkness
Be'Lakor (240)
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos

10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
20 x Chaos Marauders (160)
- Axes & Shields
- Axes & Shields
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (110)
- Javelin & Shield

Chaos Warshrine (170)

Plaguetouched Warband (180)

Game 1 was against a double stormkeep patrol stormcast list with 2x10 liberators, 10 judicators, and 9 longstrike raptors as the main units. Mission was shifting objectives but it honestly didn't matter. Be'lakor shut off his unit of 9 raptors turn 1 and they didn't get the phase or shooting phase shooting. I just crashed into his liberator and raptor blob in my turn 1 and killed everything. Round 2 he did a little shooting but I was able to table him in my turn. Between be'lakor shutting down his 1 main unit and an overall -1 or -2 thanks to the nurgle aura, he didn't have a chance.  

Game 2 was against a Hermdar Fyreslayers list with 2x20 hearthguard, and both lords of the lodge battalion and forge brethren. We played places of arcane power. He chose to go first, so I used be'lakor to stop his Lords of the Lodge berzerkers from moving to the left objective, though he ran his runefather onto it still with just 1 unit of aurics. The rest of his army ran into the middle and onto that center objective. On my turn, be'lakor and a teleported unit of marauders killed his units on the left objective and the karkadrak took the right. I tagged the middle hearthguard with my Knights to keep them from moving freely. I wasn't going to kill them since they were on a 2+ save with a 4+ DPR with -1 to wound them. He wins priority and goes for the left objective again, but rolls low with his LotL berzerkers. He still melts the marauders but only 2 dwarves are in range of be'lakor on the second swing, so he lives easily. From here, I spend 3 turns getting Whispers of chaos on his LotL berzerkers, so be'lakor can keep scoring that objective. The karkadrak stayed on the right objective all game. And I just fed his middle blob the rest of my army for the rest of the game. Im nearly tabled, but I win by double digits.

Game 3 was against a nurgle blightlord spam army in an affliction cyst with some extra heroes. Honestly this wasn't much of a game because he only had 14 models on the board, and we were playing blades edge. Again, I just fed him my Knights to tie up all of his blightlords, and then just outscored on objectives early. I only killed his sorceror lord on manticore, nurgle verminlord, and 4 blightlords, but I was up 14-4 after turn 3 when we called it.

So I won, with 3 max score games. Man be'lakor is so good. It was also neat playing something most people haven't played against. That unfamiliarity definitely went in my favor. Im interested in trying out the 6 varanguard list in Knights of the empty throne, but I also just picked up archaon... lots of options in this book.

• Like 2

Cheers for the tips @Salyx. You are right about my opponents bringing tough lists but I wanted to give Idolators a try. Cant bag em out until you've played em right?!

I didnt screen properly in game 4 as I expected to be given first turn... my bad. I could have set up even further back so the marauders couldnt reach me first turn in the hope they would let me go first but I needed at least the Idolator Lord on the front line so I could teleport a unit onto the tree and still be wholly within 12" of him to turn it off. Desecrate is such a hard command ability to pull off I dont know if I'll ever manage it. 

To be fair I did have the option of counter charging the marauders after their alpha strike and hitting them hard but as it was places of arcane power I decided to focus on the heroes. I gambled on sending my own marauders into the Glotkin instead of the nurgle marauders but they whiffed pretty bad. In hindsight I should have cleared the nurgle marauders first and then I might have had a chance.

I've mentioned in previous posts about this league but 1000 points of our lists are fixed so I cant chop and change to tailor my opponents apart from 250 points. In my fixed 1K I have the Idolator Lord, a warshrine (which takes up another leader slot), and 2 sorcerers to round out my 4 leader slots as I wanted some magic and save rerolls, etc. Therefore no Karkadrak, Manticore, Belakor or switching to Ravagers unfortunately.  I dont own any warcry stuff so dont have any cheap screens available apart from 5 chaos warriors who dont cover much ground. I will definitely focus on the smaller supporting Ogre units and feed what chaff I have to the 12 Gluttons but will be an uphill battle no matter what. 

12 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Cheers for the tips @Salyx. You are right about my opponents bringing tough lists but I wanted to give Idolators a try. Cant bag em out until you've played em right?!

I didnt screen properly in game 4 as I expected to be given first turn... my bad. I could have set up even further back so the marauders couldnt reach me first turn in the hope they would let me go first but I needed at least the Idolator Lord on the front line so I could teleport a unit onto the tree and still be wholly within 12" of him to turn it off. Desecrate is such a hard command ability to pull off I dont know if I'll ever manage it. 

To be fair I did have the option of counter charging the marauders after their alpha strike and hitting them hard but as it was places of arcane power I decided to focus on the heroes. I gambled on sending my own marauders into the Glotkin instead of the nurgle marauders but they whiffed pretty bad. In hindsight I should have cleared the nurgle marauders first and then I might have had a chance.

I've mentioned in previous posts about this league but 1000 points of our lists are fixed so I cant chop and change to tailor my opponents apart from 250 points. In my fixed 1K I have the Idolator Lord, a warshrine (which takes up another leader slot), and 2 sorcerers to round out my 4 leader slots as I wanted some magic and save rerolls, etc. Therefore no Karkadrak, Manticore, Belakor or switching to Ravagers unfortunately.  I dont own any warcry stuff so dont have any cheap screens available apart from 5 chaos warriors who dont cover much ground. I will definitely focus on the smaller supporting Ogre units and feed what chaff I have to the 12 Gluttons but will be an uphill battle no matter what. 

I feel like its the same coming from 40k, smaller lists allow for hard counters and just not having a good answer sometimes.  Despite that, did you feel the list lacked in anyone particular way in any games that you won/loss in?  Like if you were to expand to 2k, what do you think you would add to close any perceived gaps, etc.?

Love the updates too by the way!  Hopefully you'll get that 3-3.

Edited by Archion89

13 hours ago, Graywater said:

So I played a tournament with slaves this past weekend. Just a 3 game 1 dayer. It was my first event with them, but I've decided that they will be my army for the year. Took the following list:

- Damned Legion: Despoilers

- General
- Axe
- Command Trait: Paragon of Ruin
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (230)
- Artefact: Armour of Tortured Souls
Be'Lakor (240)
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos

10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Axes & Shields
- Axes & Shields
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (110)
- Javelin & Shield

Chaos Warshrine (170)

Plaguetouched Warband (180)

*snip*

Very cool list and summary.  Seems you have an extra Nurgle unit for the Battalion, increasing your drop by one?  Do you think it would be a good idea to combine those marauders into one blob?  Extra bodies and lowers the drop from 3 to 2?  Doesn't seem like it was an issue so far but wanted to bring it up.  Thanks for sharing!

21 minutes ago, Archion89 said:

Very cool list and summary.  Seems you have an extra Nurgle unit for the Battalion, increasing your drop by one?  Do you think it would be a good idea to combine those marauders into one blob?  Extra bodies and lowers the drop from 3 to 2?  Doesn't seem like it was an issue so far but wanted to bring it up.  Thanks for sharing!

It's actually 4 drops. The daemon prince, be'lakor, the battalion, and 1 other unit.  I kept the marauder horsemen out of the battalion in this case. I dont mind being 4 instead of 3 because it's not really a typical amount of drops, so going down to 3 doesn't give me much advantage, but I lose out on flexibility. 

Actually I really like the marauder horsemen being out of the battalion. Both they and be'lakor are sort of independent actors in my army. This gives me two drops of not giving my opponent much info into my gameplan and start to see what my opponent may be thinking before I have to put down my main pieces.

As for combining the marauders, I don't think I want to do that. 2 units of 20 just provided a lot more flexibility for me. Losing the rend after losing 1 model wasn't the best, but they were dead the second any of my opponents actually decided to focus on them anyways. Having 2 units meant I didn't lose all of them in one go, and I had 2 waves of them to hit my opponent with. Also, 40 take up a lot of space. Great for screening, but not when trying to get them all into combat or teleporting into small openings your opponent left. 20 do that way better, and 2x20 screen even better than 1x40.

7 hours ago, Archion89 said:

I feel like its the same coming from 40k, smaller lists allow for hard counters and just not having a good answer sometimes.  Despite that, did you feel the list lacked in anyone particular way in any games that you won/loss in?  Like if you were to expand to 2k, what do you think you would add to close any perceived gaps, etc.?

Love the updates too by the way!  Hopefully you'll get that 3-3.

Between chariots running and charging and teleporting marauders I do have some good reach and alpha strike potential which is nice. Rerolling saves and hits/wounds all over the place is nice too, although none of the attack profiles are heavy enough for it to really worry my opponents. The Khorne Idolator Lord and 5 x knights with lances make for a good power pair as they love his reroll hits prayer and +1 to wound aura and that is something I would look to expand on at 2K.

My list definitely lacked in several ways. Damage output and very little resilience was what I felt the most, especially in the two games against nurgle. I was able to put some hurt on them but they hit back just as hard and my units melted, especially with rend 1 or higher, whereas they still had plenty of bodies left and the option to summon if needed. I definitely missed some late game summoning Ravagers style. My first 2 games were more even but my opponents were not running OP lists by any stretch and lady luck was on my side at the right times. Being 9 drops meant I never had the choice of who went first which was definitely a disadvantage but the lack of command abilities and artifacts makes me feel that a battalion is wasted points in this legion. 

I feel like Idolators would be completely outclassed by most things at 2K. Apart from using a bunch of warcry units to fill out plague touched which is a very specific build, I just dont think they have enough tricks to match it with even mid-tier armies/lists. Reliable prayers are nice but hardly crucial. If the desecrate scenery rule was a bit more reasonable to pull off then they would have a better chance in some match ups where scenery is crucial (ahem, Nurgle) but in most games it wouldn't be a factor anyway. Warshrines gaining the Leader keyword is a tax in all but one or two battleplans where leaders score extra VP, otherwise it just steals a slot from a hero with an aura for no benefit.

That being said I've come up with a 2K list that expands on the power pair concept with a resilient core.

Big block of Nurgle warriors supported by Exalted Hero and Warshrine to hold the centre (3+ reroll saves, 6+ shrug, rerolling wounds and 6's doing 2 dmg), Flanking force consisting of Idolator Lord, Daemon Prince (to prevent counter charges), lance knights (all marked Khorne) with a Manticore Sorcerer for save rerolls and magic/melee support. Finally Belakor is there to slingshot the marauders when an opening presents itself and otherwise do Belakor things. Hoping to give this a try soon:

- Damned Legion: Idolators
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Idolator Lord on Chaos Chariot (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Smite the Unbeliever
- Artefact: Trickster's Foil
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
- Prayer: Blessings of Khorne
Be'Lakor (240)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- Spell: Spite-tongue Curse
- Sword
Exalted Hero of Chaos (90)

Battleline
30 x Chaos Warriors (540)
- Halberd & Shield
- Axes & Shields
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grimbok said:

Is it correct that a Darkoath Chieftain can’t have a mark of chaos? Seems odd, since he is buffing my marauders, that have a mark...any FAQ on it or just standard GW ******? 

Grimbok

I try to send an email to the GW faq address to remind them of the need to give the Darkoath characters the Undivided keyword.  Which reminds me, I haven't pestered them about it this month yet.

By lore, the Darkoath Queen and Chieftain can't really have a chaos mark as per usual on other StD characters, because they are not supposed to be committed to one god or another. I think an Undivided keyword would solve the problem, rather that the chaos mark option. The Ogroid Myrmidon should probably get a chaos mark option, though.

Maybe you could email GW and ask why the Darkoath characters don't have the Undivided keyword? And take the time to explain how you want to include them in your army but can't because the points are better used on characters with chaos marks. And finally, add the remark "what a shame to have such lovely models that aren't playable outside of narrative games". If they get enough people raising the matter, maybe we will get the desired change in a future faq.

AoSFAQ@gwplc.com

• Like 3

It makes no sense they can’t have marks, when the marauders they lead and buff can have a mark... so now my knights, chosen and marauders all have mark of khorne, but my Darkoath Chief leading and buffing the marauders can’t...well, it’s only a reroll 1 aura they lose...

The Slaves to Darkness book is a poorly designed mess...so many stupid imported warscrolls that makes no sense...and railroading into Despoilers, unless you go Archaon...

But great models...

Grimbok

• Like 1