AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

I have a general question:

assuming it’s the opponent’s turn to pick a units to fight but there‘s none left. Then it‘s my turn to pick a unit  and I decide to pile in with a unit that has  a 6“ pile in into an enemy unit that hasn‘t fought yet: is the enemy allowed to hit me back after I have attacked?

I would say yes because there is not a "pass turn" mechanism as such. 

However you need to make sure that the 6" pile in allows you to pile in a unit that isn't at 3" or less of you.

(I know it sounds confusing but except if the rules have changed I believe this is the case). 

6 hours ago, Ninelives said:

I would say yes because there is not a "pass turn" mechanism as such. 

However you need to make sure that the 6" pile in allows you to pile in a unit that isn't at 3" or less of you.

(I know it sounds confusing but except if the rules have changed I believe this is the case). 

So, for anyone that’s confused, the Pleasurebound battallion lets you pile in 6”, but you have to already be within 3” to initiate this pile in move.  (Pending a model from your battalion died to activate this ability FYI)

other abilities, such as the Varanguard Knights of the Empty Throne ability Grasping Plate allow you to be eligible to pile in from a 6” distance instead of 3”, and allow you to pile in an extra 3” (6” total pile in).

• Like 1

Hey, just musing...has anyone tried putting Archaon into a Despoilers group? I mean, him being immune to anything needing LOS by having any part of him obscured by any amount of terrain...rotten? Honestly, gonna try it. I know he has to chill w/DPs to work. But still a very rotten thought process. 

4 hours ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Hey, just musing...has anyone tried putting Archaon into a Despoilers group? I mean, him being immune to anything needing LOS by having any part of him obscured by any amount of terrain...rotten? Honestly, gonna try it. I know he has to chill w/DPs to work. But still a very rotten thought process. 

Sounds intriguing. Giving up quite a few buffs to the main man and his army in Host but I could definitely see a Despoilers list with him and Belakor being very powerful.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:43 AM, Midjithero said:

So, for anyone that’s confused, the Pleasurebound battallion lets you pile in 6”, but you have to already be within 3” to initiate this pile in move.  (Pending a model from your battalion died to activate this ability FYI)

other abilities, such as the Varanguard Knights of the Empty Throne ability Grasping Plate allow you to be eligible to pile in from a 6” distance instead of 3”, and allow you to pile in an extra 3” (6” total pile in).

^ This

Most people play it wrong. You can have pile in of 392 inches and it doesn't matter if you are not already within 3"

To pile in you need to check one of those 2 conditions.

- Successfully charged (end the movement within 1/2 inch)

- Being within 3"

2 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

To pile in you need to check one of those 2 conditions.

- Successfully charged (end the movement within 1/2 inch)

- Being within 3"

Also, one thing that I wasn’t really aware of...say you charge 2 squads of Knights into lets just say Skinks.  The first squad of knights is selected to fight and wipes out the skinks.  On your next activation, you can still pile in those 3”, possibly getting to hit another of your enemies unit!!

this was crazy once I figured this out, so many wasted opportunities! Sorry just a fun little tactics snippet :) 

5 hours ago, Midjithero said:

Also, one thing that I wasn’t really aware of...say you charge 2 squads of Knights into lets just say Skinks.  The first squad of knights is selected to fight and wipes out the skinks.  On your next activation, you can still pile in those 3”, possibly getting to hit another of your enemies unit!!

this was crazy once I figured this out, so many wasted opportunities! Sorry just a fun little tactics snippet :) 

You got it buddy, as long as we had a successful charge, we can pile to our hearts desire. 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 5/21/2020 at 8:42 PM, Roark said:

Hoping to get clarification on some rules interactions:

It's the combat phase in my turn. I have two CPs. I have a unit of Chosen and Marauders in contact with an enemy unit, which has been Dominated by my Sphiranx. The 3 are the only units in melee contact on the whole board. Both of my units are wholly within range of a Chaos Lord's command ("Spurred by the Gods").

Can I basically activate, pile-in and fight 4 times (2 x Chosen, 2 x Marauders) before the enemy gets to activate and attack at the end of the combat phase?

ie: I activate. Enemy has to pass. (x4) and then it's the end of the combat phase and the enemy can attack?

Is that how it works, or have I missed something? Thanks.

You sure can.

Only condition is that an enemy is within 3"

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 11:53 PM, Midjithero said:

That why 6" pile in range or 3" melee range really matters vs armies that screen. Great tricks to be done with that :D 

Hey hey!

I was playing about with some Cabalists lists and was wondering what your thoughts were on the following:

If I give a non-wizard the Spell Eater pendant (i think that's its name) it says they gain the WIZARD keyword.  Can they also cast the spell that all Cabalists know, as well as Endless Spells?  The rules for Endless Spells say: If you have an endless spell model and its warscroll, all WIZARDS in your army know that spell in addition to any other spells they know. Well, the Khorne Daemon Prince be in your army and he also be a WIZARD now ... (and a CABALIST WIZARd too, so likewise, he could also do a binding ritual I guess and benefit from any +s to cast).

Secondly, if I move the light Gemind for example over a unit between battle rounds, and then again in my hero phase via a binding ritual, the unit it passes over is now -2 to hit?  It says a unit can't be affected by the light and dark in the same battle round, but says nothing about being affected twice by the same one.

On 6/3/2020 at 12:37 PM, TheVenerableBede said:

Secondly, if I move the light Gemind for example over a unit between battle rounds, and then again in my hero phase via a binding ritual, the unit it passes over is now -2 to hit?  It says a unit can't be affected by the light and dark in the same battle round, but says nothing about being affected twice by the same one.

Nope you can't stack effects from the same source. If you find something else, causing  -1 to hit you can stack.

Beer & pretzels game tomorrow; 2 v 2  with 1500 points each

Decided to find a way to have fun with my otherwise unused chariots and turn a unit of 3 into an alpha strike missile;

Lord on Steeds Command Ability: +1 to hit and reroll charge

Bloodstoker: reroll wounds and +3" to run & charge (combines nicely with their once per game ability to run and charge- min threat range is 21" if I roll all 1's to run and charge but I get a charge reroll and can spend a CP to make the run a 6 so not likely- max threat range = 36"!!!)

Bloodsecrator: +1 Attack to melee weapons which means +9 attacks across the unit (although might be tricky to keep them in range on the first turn but I will try)

Aura of Khorne from Daemon Prince General: reroll 1's to hit and +1 to wound

Warshrine: with them rerolling everything already I'm actually thinking tzeentch prayer for reroll saves is the way to go as all the buffs last until my next hero phase and keeping them alive longer will make them super annoying.

With all the Buffs in place the great blades would be 9A / 2+ rr1's / 2+ rr all / -1 / 2 with another 24 attacks from whips/steeds- surely that will do some damage and thats without the mortal wounds on the charge.

The final trick is Paragon of Ruin: pregame 5" move to increase the threat range even further (although I'm in two minds about this as it could move them out of range of the bloodstoker so might be better off with a different command trait)

The full list is below- any comments welcome 🙂

Note*** I realise splitting them up would mean more mortal wounds on the charge however then the above buffs could only go on one chariot so I'm committed to trying it this way.

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Despoilers

Leaders
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Axe
- Command Trait: Paragon of Ruin
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (170)
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Allies
Bloodstoker (80)
- Allies

Battleline
3 x Chaos Chariots (360)
- Greatblades
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Cursed Lance
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1490 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 200 / 200

15 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Looks like a lot of fun for a beer & pretzel game! Just two suggestions from me. First, as a thought I'd actually consider the Khorne prayer from the shrine. I know reroll hits might be a bit redundant, but getting reroll charges might just save your bacon (especially if they get too far away from a general with their run). Plus it synergizes well with the stoker and you won't need to overextend your general to keep them under the khorne buff. Second, I'd agree with you and skip paragon of ruin. Your chariots can already threaten most of the board, the extra move just doesn't seem worth it. I think I'd probably go with Radiance or Bolstered if I were you. I'd love to hear how the game goes!

Edited by Grimrock

Hello

I have a question about archaon's command ability : all seeing dominion. 

When my oppenent use a command point. I can direct  use all seeing dominion. Should I use a command point or not before I roll dice for the 2+ to activate "by my will for free ?  

How does it works? 

Thank u 

We dotn knoe very well bcause the covid.

But i try on tts varius lists against experienced players. 

I have 3 possible and competitive lists

I have 2 variables of the first option:

HOST OF EVERCHOSEN 1

- Damned Legion: Host of the Everchosen (Sixth Circle)
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Archaon the Everchosen (800)
- Aura of Chaos: Khorne

- Spell: Binding Damnation
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
Gaunt Summoner on Disc of Tzeentch (260)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Spell: Mask of Darkness

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shield
3 x Varanguard (300)
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield

Units
8 x Iron Golems (70)

Eightfold Doom-sigil (40)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

HOST OF THEEVERCHOSEN 2

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders

-Spell: Mask of Darkness
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh
- Spell: Call to glory

Battleline
- Axes & Shield
3 x Varanguard (300)

-3xFellspears

- Javelin & Shield

Units
8 x Iron Golems (70)

Prismatic Palisade (30)

Wounds: 110

You can put whatever spell you want, to the sorcerer lord.

ARMY 2 DESPOILERS

Leaders
- General
- Axe
- Command Trait: Radiance of Dark Glory
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Be'Lakor (240)
- Spell: Call to Glory
- Mark of Chaos: Undivided
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
Theddra Skull-Scryer (70)

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Axes & Shields

Units
5 x Godsworn Hunt (60)

Behemoths
Chaos War Mammoth (320)
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

Wounds: 141

Amd my 3erd is a cabalist list with endless, i dont remember it rihght now, but i melted a tzeentch and ossiarc list with it xD.

15 hours ago, Xasz said:

How did the book/lists develop in the past ~6 months?

I was initially disappointed and shelved the idea but did someone figure something interesting out (from a competitive standpoint)?

I don't know very well bcause the covid.

But i try on tts varius lists against experienced players, and i can tell you what worked better for me.

I have 3 possible and competitive lists

I have 2 variables of the first option:

HOST OF EVERCHOSEN 1

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders

- Spell: Binding Damnation
Gaunt Summoner on Disc of Tzeentch (260)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch

Battleline
- Axes & Shield
3 x Varanguard (300)
- Javelin & Shield

Units
8 x Iron Golems (70)

Prismatic Palisade (30)

Wounds: 103

HOST OF THEEVERCHOSEN 2

Leaders

-Spell: Mask of Darkness
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
- Spell: Call to glory

Battleline
- Axes & Shield
3 x Varanguard (300)

-3xFellspears

- Javelin & Shield

Units
8 x Iron Golems (70)

Prismatic Palisade (30)

Wounds: 110

You can put whatever spell you want, to the sorcerer lord.

ARMY 2 DESPOILERS

Leaders
- General
- Axe
- Command Trait: Radiance of Dark Glory
Be'Lakor (240)
- Spell: Call to Glory
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
Theddra Skull-Scryer (70)

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Axes & Shields

Units
5 x Godsworn Hunt (60)

Behemoths
Chaos War Mammoth (320)
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

Wounds: 141

Amd my 3erd is a cabalist list with endless, i dont remember it rihght now, but i melted a tzeentch and ossiarc list with it xD.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2020 at 1:53 AM, Grimrock said:

Looks like a lot of fun for a beer & pretzel game! Just two suggestions from me. First, as a thought I'd actually consider the Khorne prayer from the shrine. I know reroll hits might be a bit redundant, but getting reroll charges might just save your bacon (especially if they get too far away from a general with their run). Plus it synergizes well with the stoker and you won't need to overextend your general to keep them under the khorne buff. Second, I'd agree with you and skip paragon of ruin. Your chariots can already threaten most of the board, the extra move just doesn't seem worth it. I think I'd probably go with Radiance or Bolstered if I were you. I'd love to hear how the game goes!

Thanks for the suggestions but the chariots already get a reroll charge from the lord on mount's command ability in addition to +1 to hit so the khorne prayer really is a bit redundant for them. I know what you mean about overextending the general however running the daemon prince general up and into some terrain which I turned pitch black was great for getting his aura into position and his command ability meant no one could charge him so I was comfortable throwing him forward. 

I ended up sticking with paragon of ruin just to try it out and to be honest it was actually useful. Mostly because the only bit of open ground where I could fit all 3 chariots was on a hill that was entangling so the extra movement just helped me mitigate the -2" to movement. It also meant I could get a first turn charge off with my knights although it didnt turn out well for them because... well, knights.

As for the game, my partner also brought a Despoilers Slaves list with a Daemon Prince, Sorcerer on Manticore, Lord on karkadrak and Lord on foot, plus the mindstealer cat, rock throwing Ogroid and some warriors and knights. Our opponents turned up with Kharadron (Frigate, 2 x gun haulers, 6 x balloon boys, 2 x 10 Arkonaughts + Engineer & Admiral), and Thunder Lizards Seraphon with a Bastiladon, Carnosaur and Stegadon plus 3 x Salamanders, 3 x Kroxigor , 10 x Cold One knights, Skink Priest and Skink Starseer. If you know anything about Seraphon you might have guessed how the game ended up.

I am pleased to say that my alpha striking chariots actually went pretty well. They gave us first turn and I buffed them up with everything except the shrine prayer (because it was my first time using it so of course I failed the prayer roll), and got them across the table easily. I wasn't able to keep them in range of the bloodsecrator or the warshrine but I made a big charge roll and a lucky 7 mortal wounds on the Carnosaur before taking him off with the attacks from 2 chariots in range while the 3rd took out some chaff.   Although the chariots didnt have reroll saves or 6+ FNP they still survived the return attacks and so kept our opponents pinned in their turn before being removed so overall I would call the experiment a success. 

After that however the firepower of the KO and Seraphon took us apart. Salamanders are absolutely brutal and the Bastiladon can be nasty, especially since he was spending a CP every turn for it to shoot twice. We also managed to kill all the Cold One knights and  Starseer (as well as the KO frigate and balloon boys). The Seraphon ability of reducing damage by 1 meant our heavy hitters were next to useless against their monsters and we didnt have enough sources of mortal wounds to bring them down.  The mindstealer cat was pretty much useless as you have to be in range in your hero phase to make someone fight last which is super hard to pull off. Unless that is changed to the end of movement/start of combat I wouldnt recommend using him. The rock throwing Ogroid was also useless. Our plan was to use his sorcerer to teleport my marauders but he failed to cast mask of darkness for the first 2 turns and by the time it was cast in turn 3 the game was pretty much over. They surrounded the Bastiladon on the objective and over 2 rounds of combat I threw 82 dice against it for 2 wounds... safe to say the Seraphon player had a good day out with his dice. 

The mission was starstrike and although we were technically in it on points, they tabled us top of turn 5 for a fairly dominant major win. Still a fun game and after all this time not playing I'll take what I can get!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldarain said:

So odd to me how the books seem to be made in isolation. The Seraphon book was not made by the Slaves team.

So true. I don't like to complain but its hard not to when you're on the end of a pasting and they seem to be able to do so much more than you. 

Seraphon can use a CP to shoot twice, at the end of the shooting phase, after seeing if its needed once everything else has shot. And they have multiple ways of generating extra CP.

FEC can spend a CP to fight twice immediately, if its needed (and has easy access to doing that once per turn without a CP).

Slaves can spend a CP to fight twice, but have to be wholly within 12" of a guy with movement 5", have to commit to spending the CP at the start of the combat phase and the opponent gets to activate before we can fight a second time, potentially killing you before your second swing (which happened to the Lord on karkadrak in our game). And Slaves have no way of generating extra CP, outside of a 700 point special character or a single artifact in a specific legion that generates 1-3 CP per game. 

Next time I might try my chariot bomb in a ravagers list with Ruinbringer Battalion. At least there should be more mortal wounds around. 

So how far would I get with this list?

Sixth Circle
Archaon
Be'Lakor
Varanguard
Varanguard
Varanguard
Command Point

Thinking of buying two more boxes of Varanguard. I don't really want to get 40 marauders because I don't have the space for that many more models.

• Like 1

You'll be at the mercy of any extremely fast melee threats and shooting.

I would be tempted to try adding a Palisade and Gravetide instead of the command point because you'll be relying heavily on control effects (binding Damnation, Belakor's signature spell and special ability, Archaon's clairvoyance) to make this work so more tools in your arsenal will help.

After playing a bit with this book, if I could only change one thing I'd change how the allegiance ability interacts with marks. After playing a bit of a narrative Slaanesh/Khorne list, I was dissapointed by how limited I felt by the marks only being triggered when a hero was near (usually meaning I had to pay a hero tax to get a benefit out of allegiance abilities). In the end, I found it better to build around one mark, which goes against the idea of Slaves to Darkness being a mix of chaos warriors coming together (as opposed to the monogod books). I would love it if they changed it so any marked unit got their mark's benefit, and a hero being nearby triggered the mark's general benefit. 

To me, that would feel much nicer as I could build a mixed list without constantly thinking about hero tax to use the allegiance ability. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2020 at 6:16 AM, BigBoss said:

Hello

I have a question about archaon's command ability : all seeing dominion. 

When my oppenent use a command point. I can direct  use all seeing dominion. Should I use a command point or not before I roll dice for the 2+ to activate "by my will for free ?  

How does it works? 

Thank u 

When your opponent uses a command point, you can then spend a command point as well.  If you did spend that command point, then roll a dice.  Regardless of the outcome on the dice, you are still required to spend that CP. 

additionally, if you succeed on the 2+ dice roll, that Command Point is already spent.  You do not get refunded for succeeding the roll (which would be awesome)

the wording is very confusing on the entire ability.