AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

I can confirm both that Karkadrak with a dimensional blade is absolutely horrifying, as well as that Ravagers summoning is really nice. Knights are pricey enough that you can't really build an army around them, though--need some Marauder Horsemen to fill out the battalion. Further, in my experience (which is admittedly limited and not highly competitive) blocks of five knights do a lot worse than a block of ten. You're definitely on the right track with the ensorcelled weapons over the lances, though.

Its crazy the difference in Warriors using them as 15 instead of small road bumps 5 men squads. With some hot rolling they refused to die and trying the Karkadrak Lord earlier with the Runeblade on his axe definitely made him alot more brutal. 

I used my Golems as Marauders too for the first time for the Ravagers command ability and being able to seriously threaten any heroes or units lingering near board edges is a seriously good ability!

So I’ve been thinking a lot recently about how to run a cabalist list in a Seraphon/OBR meta once I can get back into tourneys and such...but my great debate is whether to run a block of 15 warriors or 40 marauders.  

Now I know, offensively, Marauders are better.  But defensively, and in the list I want to run, warriors look to be a more solid choice because of a few factors (increases save, reroll save, 5+ FNP, lower model count for 12” Tzeentch general aura).  Just looking for confirmation :) 

My basic strategy would be to play the midfield game.  Sucks for me that I’m 8 drop, so I’ll have to deploy envisioning I’m going second, so a bit farther away from opponent, or if selected to go first, liter the field with the endless spells and try to prevent opponent from moving.

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Cabalists

Leaders
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
- Allies
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (240)
Be'Lakor (240)
- Spell: Mask of Darkness
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- General
- Command Trait: Mighty Ritualist  
- Artefact: Infernal Puppet  
- Spell: Binding Damnation

Battleline
15 x Chaos Warriors (300)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield
- Javelin & Shield

Units
10 x Splintered Fang (70)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Darkfire Daemonrift (50)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 104

11 hours ago, Midjithero said:

So I’ve been thinking a lot recently about how to run a cabalist list in a Seraphon/OBR meta once I can get back into tourneys and such...but my great debate is whether to run a block of 15 warriors or 40 marauders.  

Now I know, offensively, Marauders are better.  But defensively, and in the list I want to run, warriors look to be a more solid choice because of a few factors (increases save, reroll save, 5+ FNP, lower model count for 12” Tzeentch general aura).  Just looking for confirmation :) 

My basic strategy would be to play the midfield game.  Sucks for me that I’m 8 drop, so I’ll have to deploy envisioning I’m going second, so a bit farther away from opponent, or if selected to go first, liter the field with the endless spells and try to prevent opponent from moving.

- Damned Legion: Cabalists

Leaders
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
- Allies
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (240)
Be'Lakor (240)
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos
- General
- Command Trait: Mighty Ritualist  
- Artefact: Infernal Puppet  

Battleline
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Javelin & Shield
- Javelin & Shield

Units
10 x Splintered Fang (70)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Darkfire Daemonrift (50)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 104

At this point you are better with playing the Tzeench Book

That is sadly true far too often when deciding between S2D and God book.

They really needed to make the allegiance abilities dynamic and strong to make it an interesting choice.

On a separate note what percent of non Wargamers would correctly predict the outcome of this duel?

IMG_20200516_175024.jpg

Hello, can knights of the empty throne take a circle? I have heard conflicting comments on it and haven't seen anything official? Don't have the books but my understanding is no, while all the lists I see as examples of running it include the sixth circle. I am hopeful I am wrong and they can take a circle.

44 minutes ago, GunslingerOy said:

Hello, can knights of the empty throne take a circle? I have heard conflicting comments on it and haven't seen anything official? Don't have the books but my understanding is no, while all the lists I see as examples of running it include the sixth circle. I am hopeful I am wrong and they can take a circle.

All those little factions in that book count as an allegiance of  their own. So we can only choose from the list they provide us.

The whole army gets the Knights of the empty Throne allegiance and the books states you can have only 1 allegiance. Same thing why you can't play Ravagers and Cabalists.  IMO opinion the new books is as useless as it comes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

All those little factions in that book count as an allegiance of  their own. So we can only choose from the list they provide us.

The whole army gets the Knights of the empty Throne allegiance and the books states you can have only 1 allegiance. Same thing why you can't play Ravagers and Cabalists.  IMO opinion the new books is as useless as it comes.

Thank you

A Stormcast player here dipping a toe into the dark side and asking for advice. I am planning to build a 1k Despoilers list with the Mark of Khorne.. I have settled on the following 890 points, but am not certain what to do with the remaining 110.

The list now:

- Damned Legion: Despoilers

LEADERS

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)

- General

- Command Trait : Paragon of Ruin

- Artefact : Diabolic Mantle

- Mark of Chaos : Khorne

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)

- Mark of Chaos : Tzeentch

- Spell : Whispers of Chaos or Mask of Darkness

UNITS

15x Chaos Warriors (300)

- Hand Weapon & Shield

5 x Chaos Knights (180)

- Ensorcelled Weapons or Cursed Lances

5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)

- Axes & Shield or Javelins & Shield

TOTAL: 890/1000 

The idea is that the Chaos Warriors push forward with the help of Paragon of Ruin, forming a big and tough screen that engages the enemies, while the cavalry then countercharges.

Options that I have considered for the last 110 points:
Chaos Lord 110 points. Pros: awesome Command Ability. Cons: a slow unit that may end up dragging behind.
5 more Chaos Warriors 100 points. Pros: A 20 Warrior unit is more resilient and gives better coverage than a 15 Warrior unit.  Cons: may get unwieldy. 20 Warriors may be overkill.
Bloodstoker ally 80 points.  Pros: Whipped to Fury is good. Cons: Another pretty slow unit that may end up dragging behind. Due to the timing of Whipped to Fury, it cannot really be combined with Mask of Darkness.

Views? 

4 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@feadair I would say Chaos Lord. He might be slow but he can keep up with the chaos warriors and getting them to attack twice will help the offensive output immensely.

That is my current thinking.  The issue is that Warriors will pretty much always want to move forward 5” with Paragon of Ruin. I would ideally keep both the Sorcerer and the Lord close to them for Look Out Sir and to ensure that their buffing powers work even if the Warriors end up charging. This may be tricky since Paragon only affects D3 units. I guess Mask of Darkness can help by flinging the Lord forward if he starts to lag too far behind.

I´m toying around with what I want to try on the first games after the break soon. I finally want to utilise some Kavallery List. Played a similar one, but centered around Nurgle, via TTS and it was a desaster as it was a Nurgle vs Coalescend Seraphon with Dread Saurian Matchup (it´s hard to win when you play scissors and your opponent plays rock).

Nevertheless, this is the list I came up with recently, althrough the Bloodcrushers are really in a weak spot and I concider to cut them.

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (170)
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
- General
- Sword
- Command Trait: Radiance of Dark Glory
- Artefact: Crown of Hellish Adoration
Bloodstoker (80)
- Allies
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Allies
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Axes & Shield
1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
- Greatblades
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (160)
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Allies
Soul Grinder (210)
Chaos Warshrine (170)
Slaughterbrute (170)
Ruinbringer Warband (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 128

The general Idea is to have a high mobility army that can bite out chunks of the enemy force out, especially on the charge. Heal, Marauder as Chaff, distraction Carnifexes shall ensure that it is still able to compete in the objective game. Meanwhile Mark of Khorne stabilises the damage Output of out Knights

17 hours ago, Charleston said:

I´m toying around with what I want to try on the first games after the break soon. I finally want to utilise some Kavallery List. Played a similar one, but centered around Nurgle, via TTS and it was a desaster as it was a Nurgle vs Coalescend Seraphon with Dread Saurian Matchup (it´s hard to win when you play scissors and your opponent plays rock).

Nevertheless, this is the list I came up with recently, althrough the Bloodcrushers are really in a weak spot and I concider to cut them.

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (170)
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
- General
- Sword
- Command Trait: Radiance of Dark Glory
- Artefact: Crown of Hellish Adoration
Bloodstoker (80)
- Allies
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Allies
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Axes & Shield
1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
- Greatblades
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (160)
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Allies
Soul Grinder (210)
Chaos Warshrine (170)
Slaughterbrute (170)
Ruinbringer Warband (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 128

The general Idea is to have a high mobility army that can bite out chunks of the enemy force out, especially on the charge. Heal, Marauder as Chaff, distraction Carnifexes shall ensure that it is still able to compete in the objective game. Meanwhile Mark of Khorne stabilises the damage Output of out Knights

Honestly, I think a -3 rend Karkadrak is a STAR when you put him in Ruinbringer.  It gives him 2d3 impact hits on top of his already jolly self...it’s amazing.  

Soul grinder is mostly meh outside of the soul grinder battallion, but understandable if you want to use it for flavor.  Same thing can be said of the slaughterbrute.  

you could drop the 2 big guys for the Karkadrak and another unit of Mighty Skullcrushers for the extra punch.

also, I would probably swap to Ravagers (even though despoilers is my favorite) because you only have 1 deamon prince to utilize the Twisted Domion rule.  Yes, the SB and SG are monsters and heal, but think you can get more from summoning marauders to tie up units than from the big guys.

just my opinion :) I wish more cavalry units fit into the Ruinbringer Warband, like the god specific units (Hellstriders, mighty skullcrushers, etc) and Varanguard...itd be mucho more useful imo 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Midjithero said:

Soul grinder is mostly meh outside of the soul grinder battallion, but understandable if you want to use it for flavor.  Same thing can be said of the slaughterbrute.  

Wait, what Soul Grinder Battalion?! Please tell me more!

Hey all so been playing away at 1k points and finally took the dive and have the rest of my forces coming in the mail now, itching to paint them once I get them.

- Damned Legion: Ravagers
Mortal Realm: Chamon
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (250)
- General
- Artefact: Rune Blade
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
- Ravagers Command Trait: Eternal Vendetta
- Artefact: Blasphemous Cuirass
- Mark of Chaos: Undivided
- Ravagers Command Trait: Bolstered by Hate
- Mark of Chaos: Undivided
- Ravagers Command Trait: Master of Deception
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
- Ravagers Command Trait: Flames of Spite
1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
- Greatblades
1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
- Greatblades
- Javelin & Shield
- Javelin & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Cursed Lance
- Hand Weapon & Shield
Chaos Warshrine (170)
Ruinbringer Warband (140)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

Still sticking to the Ravagers because I've grown to seriously like the small crack squads of suicide Marauders coming in from edges or if needs be an annoying Iron Golem warband to clog up an objective. Final list ended up remaining focused on the Ruinbringer Battalion too for the looks as well as cool rules. (I think mounted chaos looks great). I also went with 15 Warriors instead of the 40 man Marauder blob again for aesthetic more than anything and will try and keep pace with the Warshrine and maybe pack a bit more punch with the two support heroes as well. (Lances on Knights are just due to how they are modeled too) 

With being so focused on Khorne its tough knowing what mark to go with for the filthy Sorcerers. And maybe I should just mix it up and look to a different God to get the entire army under the one unified mark.  I also decided not to go Daemon Prince too just with how Ravagers lore is and grabbed two foot slogggers as well. A lot of this came off good advice in here and have to say thanks! 

• Like 2

@Vitch_EGS I built a similar list but used a maxed out Iron Golems unit as the anvil.

The Ravagers trait "Unquestioned Resolve" that hands out free generic CAs is really good with them. Allowing you to move them up 11" turn one and keeping them morale immune when needed too.

I also put the Argent armor and Deception on my Slaanesh Sorceror on Manticore. Surprisingly good melee ability.

Edited by Eldarain
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 10:03 PM, ccconner777 said:

I have a box full of old S2D bits i got for a steal on ebay. Im sure i have an extra banner i could send you if you want.

Thank you for the kind gesture.. Things happened and I got a crazy deal on some Hedonites of Slaanesh, so I fleshed my army of those out and pushed back my StD dreams with no ETA in sight :) On a more positive note I still have Archaon in the mail coming at some point.. Really looking forward to painting such an awesome model!

Hoping to get clarification on some rules interactions:

It's the combat phase in my turn. I have two CPs. I have a unit of Chosen and Marauders in contact with an enemy unit, which has been Dominated by my Sphiranx. The 3 are the only units in melee contact on the whole board. Both of my units are wholly within range of a Chaos Lord's command ("Spurred by the Gods").

Can I basically activate, pile-in and fight 4 times (2 x Chosen, 2 x Marauders) before the enemy gets to activate and attack at the end of the combat phase?

ie: I activate. Enemy has to pass. (x4) and then it's the end of the combat phase and the enemy can attack?

Is that how it works, or have I missed something? Thanks.

On 5/21/2020 at 6:23 AM, Vitch_EGS said:

With being so focused on Khorne its tough knowing what mark to go with for the filthy Sorcerers.

Fluffwise, Nurgle has traditionally been the closest thing to an ally that Khorne has among his brothers.

7 minutes ago, Roark said:

Hoping to get clarification on some rules interactions:

It's the combat phase in my turn. I have two CPs. I have a unit of Chosen and Marauders in contact with an enemy unit, which has been Dominated by my Sphiranx. The 3 are the only units in melee contact on the whole board. Both of my units are wholly within range of a Chaos Lord's command ("Spurred by the Gods").

Can I basically activate, pile-in and fight 4 times (2 x Chosen, 2 x Marauders) before the enemy gets to activate and attack at the end of the combat phase?

ie: I activate. Enemy has to pass. (x4) and then it's the end of the combat phase and the enemy can attack?

Is that how it works, or have I missed something? Thanks.

Looks correct to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a general question:

assuming it’s the opponent’s turn to pick a units to fight but there‘s none left. Then it‘s my turn to pick a unit  and I decide to pile in with a unit that has  a 6“ pile in into an enemy unit that hasn‘t fought yet: is the enemy allowed to hit me back after I have attacked?

Edited by JackStreicher