AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

2 hours ago, W1tchhunter said:

but my best friend is a stormcast player who keeps sending me pictures of the ballista crew and saying how sharp there sextants are 😜

Well I guess they channel lightning or something. At least it appears their rules and lore aligned, well depending on who you ask ofc.

16 minutes ago, W1tchhunter said:

Yeah tbf your not wrong with the last bit :/ Wont tzeentch marked Iron golems pretty much always be a better choice than warriors now? Between coherency and just generally having bad weapon profiles they don't do any damage so survivability is there only thing. Iron golems will keep the plus 1 to save under 10 units and are much cheaper.

Depends what you want to do. They are not as resilient to MW, and memes aside Chaos Warriors fight better. They can easier be used to grind and blunt attack by resisiting and lowering numbers of enemy attackers.

Tough maybe with conjunction with Curse in Idolators as that gives +1 to praying?

Edited by Boar

1 hour ago, W1tchhunter said:

Yeah tbf your not wrong with the last bit :/ Wont tzeentch marked Iron golems pretty much always be a better choice than warriors now? Between coherency and just generally having bad weapon profiles they don't do any damage so survivability is there only thing. Iron golems will keep the plus 1 to save under 10 units and are much cheaper.

Edit: Well I guess warriors have 2 wounds each but your definitely paying for it.

Well if we ignore offensive capability completely warriors are 10 points per wound and, assuming shields because why wouldn't you, a 5+ shrug vs mortals. Iron golems are 7.5 points per wound with no shrug but can get a 6+ from the warshrine. I think the two are a lot closer now but warriors do still have a place. They don't need the warshrine to babysit them, and they're going to be easier to fit in the mark of tzeentch bubble (should be a slightly smaller foot print for a comparable amount of wounds). I think the benefit of the golems is the ability to take them in smaller sizes than the warriors and being more flexible on the board.

Edited by Grimrock

Just to derail, and as I'm probably getting a reputation at this point for asking stupid questions...

Can ravagers pick from the universal traits as well when picking for each hero? The writing says If your general is not a DAEMON PRINCE, you can pick 1 command trait for up to 5 different friendly RAVAGERS HEROES (excluding DAEMON PRINCES) in addition to the command trait your general can have. 

This doesn't state pick one ravagers Command Trait.

1 hour ago, W1tchhunter said:

Just to derail, and as I'm probably getting a reputation at this point for asking stupid questions...

Can ravagers pick from the universal traits as well when picking for each hero? The writing says If your general is not a DAEMON PRINCE, you can pick 1 command trait for up to 5 different friendly RAVAGERS HEROES (excluding DAEMON PRINCES) in addition to the command trait your general can have. 

there are no stupid questions and yes you can pick from the universal traits for your ravager heroes as long as no heroes share the same trait ;) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, W1tchhunter said:

Yes, which is awesome. I put master of magic on a sorcerer lord (so I can be surer to teleport my marauders); and skilled leader on something else (because we are a command-point hungry army). 

Cheap, flexible battleline is pretty nice!

Both untamed beasts and golems are obviously standout, with splintered fang obviously worth a look in certain situations too.

The Grand Strategy is to have units in each table quarter. I wonder if there is some play with Ravagers and summoning Marauder's offensively of Golems defensively each turn to achieve this? 

I still think chaos needs a bit of punch on its "traditional" units (warriors, knights etc) but the barbarian horde is getting a little better each update.

Dunno I feel like marauders are better than all cultists combined. Iron golems are decent for tanking and untamed beasts are good for quick objective capture. But you don't need marks on untamed beasts to do that and reinforcing them is pointless as they do 0 damage and won't live a round of combat. 

I think this white dwarf update was needed. But at the end of the day, cultists and Co should have had this stuff from day one, at worst the first faq. The fact that this is what we have got after the books been out what, a year now? Is a bit ****** :P Also why didn't the fomoroid and Sphiranx not get marks? Mind-boggling.

Edited by W1tchhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, W1tchhunter said:

Also why didn't the fomoroid and Sphiranx not get marks? Mind-boggling.

It's our friggin main Allegiance Ability - EVERY unit in the book should have some kind of mark. It's not like it's going to make them brokenly good or anything. 

You'd like to think GW would run proposed rules by some ACTUAL PLAYERS, even confidentially, for some prospective feedback. The stuff that is an obvious oversight is just crazy.

Edited by annarborhawk
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Evening chaos chaps! .... Quick question if someone would be kind enough to advise me....

Start of combat phase

- Chaos lord uses spurred by the gods on varanguard
- Varanguard fight
- Varanguard use their own second fight
- Varanguard use spurred by the gods to fight a third time

Does this work?

Obviously im assuming they survive the fight backs

7 hours ago, CarkFish said:

Evening chaos chaps! .... Quick question if someone would be kind enough to advise me....

Start of combat phase

- Varanguard fight

Does this work?

It should work, tough as you pointed out you have to survive enemy activations.
EDIT: probably no, explanation in below post

4 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys itron golems are battle line if I play despoilers?

If you give them same Mark of Chaos as your General

Edited by Boar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CarkFish said:

Start of combat phase

- Varanguard fight

Does this work?

Nope, you need to read the abilities. Both specify they only trigger after the unit has fought for the first time, and both say that it allows the unit to fight for a second time (not third). Since you can't trigger either after the unit has fought for the second time in a phase you'll only ever get to fight twice.

Edited by Grimrock

19 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Nope, you need to read the abilities. Both specify they only trigger after the unit has fought for the first time, and both say that it allows the unit to fight for a second time (not third). Since you can't trigger either after the unit has fought for the second time in a phase you'll only ever get to fight twice.

Yeah I suppose so, both indeed specify "to fight for a second time". Tough trigger would work fine if you fought 2 times it is definetly by definition after you fought one time.

Hey guys, doing a 1000 point game as a test for a cavalry/fast khorne/idolators army.  Any additional tips/suggestions?

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness - Damned Legion: Idolators -

Grand Strategy: Hold the Line -

Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Idolator Lord on Chaos Chariot (105)* - General - Command Trait: Fiery Orator - Artefact: Amulet of Destiny - Mark of Chaos: Khorne - Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (225)* - Mark of Chaos: Khorne

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)* - Axe - Artefact: Arcane Tome - Mark of Chaos: Khorne - Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon

UNITS 

5 x Chaos Knights (170)** - Ensorcelled Weapons - Mark of Chaos: Khorne

1 x Chaos Chariots (105)* - Greatblades - Mark of Chaos: Khorne

CORE BATTALIONS

*Warlord

**Hunters of the Heartlands

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS Artefact

TOTAL: 985/1000 WOUNDS: 61

WarscrollBuilderList.pdf

Edited by Archion89
text list added

6 hours ago, Archion89 said:

Hey guys, doing a 1000 point game as a test for a cavalry/fast khorne/idolators army.  Any additional tips/suggestions?

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness - Damned Legion: Idolators -

Grand Strategy: Hold the Line -

Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Idolator Lord on Chaos Chariot (105)* - General - Command Trait: Fiery Orator - Artefact: Amulet of Destiny - Mark of Chaos: Khorne - Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (225)* - Mark of Chaos: Khorne

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)* - Axe - Artefact: Arcane Tome - Mark of Chaos: Khorne - Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon

UNITS 

1 x Chaos Chariots (105)* - Greatblades - Mark of Chaos: Khorne

CORE BATTALIONS

*Warlord

**Hunters of the Heartlands

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS Artefact

TOTAL: 985/1000 WOUNDS: 61

WarscrollBuilderList.pdf 5.73 MB · 1 download

I suggest dropping the arcane tome from a lore point of view 😆 but it is still a good choice from a power level point of view! I like having a warshrine in an idolator list, but I guess switching a knight unit for a warshrine is against the goal of the army...

46 minutes ago, Bibob45 said:

I suggest dropping the arcane tome from a lore point of view 😆 but it is still a good choice from a power level point of view! I like having a warshrine in an idolator list, but I guess switching a knight unit for a warshrine is against the goal of the army...

Oh I agree on the lore viewpoint! I justify it as the outcome fits the Khorne imagery…. giant flaming axe and I can pretend it’s his hatred that gives him the ability to dispel. 

I would have to drop the Karkadrak to fit in the warshrine since it eats up a leader slot leaving the knights without the command ability. The warshrine will definitely be in the 2k list version.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:48 AM, Elephant_fresh said:

Hey guys, I'm interested in starting Slaves to Darkness but don't want to do an army with Archaon. What's a list that's been doing well with Knights of the empty throne? I like the idea of a chunky unit of varanguard forming the core of my army

AOS Coach on youtube did a video last week with Luke Morton from WargamerOnline, and they discussed a Varanguard heavy list in the second half of the video if you like this type of content.
Personnaly since the release of the latest WhiteDwarf update making cultists battleline, I've been experimenting with the following lists (I still don't know with which one I will end up using in the long run):

KotET_Lists.PNG

Hi guys,

On the barbarian horde side of things, I'm looking at this list for my Ravagers army:

All units are marked Undivided for sweet sweet battleshock immunity.

image.png.428e896801edbf6cbdfe5dcbfe000678.png

The idea is to throw the chariots out with a Khorne-marked DP to block/slow the enemy from Turn One. The 30-blob of marauders advances with a heap of buffs from the little characters and warshrine. The Warstomper holds up a flank on its own, screened by the Ungors. The cultists grab objectives, and I summon in marauder horsemen each turn for more objective grabbing.

I'm thinking of embracing the idea that S2D isn't very killy and just focus on board control and playing the objective game. The only thing I'm thinking is to remove the warshrine and chieftain and throw in another 30-blob for really oppressive numbers.

Edited by NorthernNurgling