AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

Does anyone have clarification on the despoilers [Twisted Dominion] and it's interaction with the command trait, [Paragon of Ruin]?

Twisted Dominion says "after a daemon prince finishes a move" and paragon of ruin says "before the first battle round, move d3 units up to 5"". Does paragon of ruin trigger the Twisted Dominion ability and let me put up smokescreens before the game starts?

4 hours ago, Climb said:

Does anyone have clarification on the despoilers [Twisted Dominion] and it's interaction with the command trait, [Paragon of Ruin]?

Twisted Dominion says "after a daemon prince finishes a move" and paragon of ruin says "before the first battle round, move d3 units up to 5"". Does paragon of ruin trigger the Twisted Dominion ability and let me put up smokescreens before the game starts?

Since it says "a move" it could be any move of any kind.

I would say those 2 work together

38 minutes ago, Holy_Diver said:

The WD treatment, while I'm ecstatic about PtG changes, this also means we are not getting a new battletome (and by extension multiparts) anytime soon. 

Nah they would have quickfixed it in the FAQ instead, along the other changes. Also, if they forgot to do so, they would have just update the FAQ this week. They didn't, I assume because Mark of Tzeentch is in a sweet spot right now that is a good buff without beeing too gamebreaking compared to other factions (althrough internal balance got shifted a bit, from Khorne/Nurgle/Unmarked towards Tzeentch, althrough Undivided may come back with the return of Ward-stacking.)

Keep in mind that WD Articles have also some redactory time required so I assume this were written likely 3-4 months ago already. 

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

Nah they would have quickfixed it in the FAQ instead, along the other changes. Also, if they forgot to do so, they would have just update the FAQ this week. They didn't, I assume because Mark of Tzeentch is in a sweet spot right now that is a good buff without beeing too gamebreaking compared to other factions (althrough internal balance got shifted a bit, from Khorne/Nurgle/Unmarked towards Tzeentch, althrough Undivided may come back with the return of Ward-stacking.)

Keep in mind that WD Articles have also some redactory time required so I assume this were written likely 3-4 months ago already. 

Yeah, I'm re-marking to Undivided from Tzeentch for an upcoming game vs. LRL.

It's going to be more about mortal wound defense than buffing normal saves, I think.  Warrior blob can be 5+/6+/6+ vs. mortals with general's aura near shrine. Kark Lord general with amulet of destiny near shrine can be 5+/5+/6+/6+ vs mortals.

15 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

Yeah, I'm re-marking to Undivided from Tzeentch for an upcoming game vs. LRL.

It's going to be more about mortal wound defense than buffing normal saves, I think.  Warrior blob can be 5+/6+/6+ vs. mortals with general's aura near shrine. Kark Lord general with amulet of destiny near shrine can be 5+/5+/6+/6+ vs mortals.

No way is that ward save stacking sticking around, there's no point playing games using it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Big question.

Will GW make the updates to the battletome free from another source without needing to buy a chonky mag for 6 pages of rules?

I don't even mind paying tbh, but I resent carrying around another book to find all my rules for 1 faction.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Xs_0013 said:

Big question.

Will GW make the updates to the battletome free from another source without needing to buy a chonky mag for 6 pages of rules?

I don't even mind paying tbh, but I resent carrying around another book to find all my rules for 1 faction.

You can cut the 3 pages you want .

Or Warhammer Vault looks like it has a 6 months delay with white dwarf. 

This WD update for S2D alongside our countless expansions made me wonder what will be carried forward. For those who play 40k were the updated rules throughout 8th edition such as characters, rules and subfactions from Psychic Awakening included in the 9th edition codices? 

In other words can we expect the rules from Broken Realms and Wrath of the Everchosen to carry forward into our eventual tome?

3 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

This WD update for S2D alongside our countless expansions made me wonder what will be carried forward. For those who play 40k were the updated rules throughout 8th edition such as characters, rules and subfactions from Psychic Awakening included in the 9th edition codices? 

In other words can we expect the rules from Broken Realms and Wrath of the Everchosen to carry forward into our eventual tome?

Some elements were retained and others jettisoned. A recent campaign book reprinted the entirety of the Chaos Space Marine PA stuff alongside adding the Be'Lakor mixed mortal/daemon subfaction but both those factions are waiting for their 9th book.

Edited by Eldarain
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Leafs said:

The WD treatment, while I'm ecstatic about PtG changes, this also means we are not getting a new battletome (and by extension multiparts) anytime soon. 

Yeah, that's can easly be the other face of the coin.

But before the leaks of the new rules, I wanna read some of your (mean anybody of course) wishes about Slaves 3.0.

Mine:
- KoTET untouched. They are so, so good now. If I can exagerate I'll say: choose a Circle for the General.
- Everchosen must say that you can deploy every CHAOS MORTAL unit from other tomes and give them SLAVE TO DARKNESS keyword.
- Despoilers maybe a new Command ability: at the end of the movement phase, players can't set up new units whitin 12" from this model. Until your next movement phase.
- Ravagers are nice, but if I can choose something new, I'll say: the ability to activate "Rally" in close combat and "run and charge" for Marauders.
- Idolators can grant the Warshrine Hero, so can be your general.
- Cabalists are the only ones imho that need an heavy rework. Cabalist must have flat bonuses for cast/dispel (other than the ritual), new command traits and artifacts, plus wizards can cast 2 Endless at round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holy_Diver said:

Yeah, that's can easly be the other face of the coin.

But before the leaks of the new rules, I wanna read some of your (mean anybody of course) wishes about Slaves 3.0.

Mine:
- KotET untouched. They are so, so good now. If I can exagerate I'll say: choose a Circle for the General.
- Everchosen must say that you can deploy every CHAOS MORTAL unit from other tomes and give them SLAVE TO DARKNESS keyword.
- Despoilers maybe a new Command ability: at the end of the movement phase, players can't set up new units whitin 12" from this model. Until your next movement phase.
- Ravagers are nice, but if I can choose something new, I'll say: the ability to activate "Rally" in close combat and "run and charge" for Marauders.
- Idolators can grant the Warshrine Hero, so can be your general.
- Cabalists are the only ones imho that need an heavy rework. Cabalist must have flat bonuses for cast/dispel (other than the ritual), new command traits and artifacts, plus wizards can cast 2 Endless at round.

Those are some great ones!

How about Varanguard can be given a Circle no matter what damned legion they are in. Make them worth 280 points outside Archaon/KoTET lists.

Mostly, I'm hoping for a sea-change to the Aura/Mark of Chaos system. I'd like to see marked units just get some inherent buff. I would like for them to make it more worthwhile/doable to run an army that uses  multiple marks. Get us further away from being better off using one of the 4 other books.

Edited by annarborhawk
  • Like 4

I'd expect rather some completly new Suballigiences rather than updates.

We have one for Marauders/Cabalists/Mortal Heroes, one for DP's, one for Sorcerer and one for the Everchosen. Varanguard and Belakor have their own cherry on their cake in campaign books. The Priest-Mechanic as well as cultists are also added in Idolators in a campaign book. 

We lack a Legion centered around Knights, Warriors and Chosen. So I hope we get exactly this: A Legion that rewards Warriors, Knights and Chosen. While Warriors are okay as Anvils they lack Damage. Meanwhile Knights lack something (enscrolled weapons are too weak to matter due to save stacking now and lances are way too risky to use. I could imagine this to be paired with some mechanic centered around Aura of Chaos or the Eye of the Gods table. Maybe allow unit Champs to roll for Eye of the Gods. Or provide Chaos Heroes unique CA's dependend on their mark. Having one that allows your units to charge in the opponents charge phase would be awesome and provide lances a solid boost.

• Like 1

Maybe a few warscrolls will get rewrites? I played against a blood knight heavy soulblight army recently and they were pretty much everything I could ever want in heavy cavalry. Give the knights the statline for ensorcelled and +1 damage/-1 rend on the charge, a 3+ save, and if I'm being really greedy the mortal wound ability from ruinbringers. Then make them the same cost as blood knights and I think we'd be rolling. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Maybe a few warscrolls will get rewrites? I played against a blood knight heavy soulblight army recently and they were pretty much everything I could ever want in heavy cavalry. Give the knights the statline for ensorcelled and +1 damage/-1 rend on the charge, a 3+ save, and if I'm being really greedy the mortal wound ability from ruinbringers. Then make them the same cost as blood knights and I think we'd be rolling. 

If knights where like this I would be SOOO happy. 

• Like 4