AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

Request for input from the hive mind. I normally play blades of Khorne mortals but have a lot of Khorne marked slaves as a result. Earlier this week I played an intro game at 1500 points vs nighthaunt using Khorne slaves in an idolators list, brand new allegiance and sub faction. 

It felt like a huge uphill battle, not helped by the scenario - tectonic shift and going second. I just didn’t feel I could shift him off objectives. Now it was a new list and allegiance abilities so definately lessons there, but I did like bits of eg the big hero priest. So want to try it some more.

But how should I build this to 2k. What should be removed or added.

mall Khorne marked where applicable

idolator lord on gorebeast chariot

daemon prince of khorne

warshrine of khorne

chaos lord on manticore

chaos warriors 10 - sword and shield

Chaos knights ensorc weapons 2x5

khargas ravagers (I know)

8 fold doom sigil

any help appreciated. I have a lot of mortal Khorne I can fold in if needed.

Hey folks,

I am contemplating using a demonic engine from 40k as a stand in for a Soulgrinder. I feel that the Soulgrinder looks more like a 40k model anyway, so I thought why not lean into it and choose a slightly cooler (imo) model. I am not particularly partial to the Defilier, Hellbrute or Lord of Skulls and would choose a Soulgrinder over them any day.

Between the Forge/Maulerfiend, Heldrake and Venomcrawler which do you think would best fit the aesthetic of a Soulgrinder and Slaves to Darkness with the least conversion work? I am also open to suggestions from other ranges as well.

I'm thinking about starting a StD army and trying to understand how bringing in units outside the battletome works in 3.0. Would non-StD chaos units be allies or coalition? Is there a points limit on how many you can bring in or is it just a 1/4 ratio?

2 hours ago, Orsino said:

I'm thinking about starting a StD army and trying to understand how bringing in units outside the battletome works in 3.0. Would non-StD chaos units be allies or coalition? Is there a points limit on how many you can bring in or is it just a 1/4 ratio?

Non-StD chaos units are allies with a point limit of 400 for a 2k list. This applies to all non-std chaos factions other than Skavens, which can't be allies with StD

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Eldarain said:

I think the Venomcrawler works best of those mentioned.

My mind always wanders to Norsca so I'd be tempted to bash a Stonehorn and Ironblaster together with Chaos banners etc to season

This is a great idea and I play Beast Claw Raiders. As such I will probably still strive for a demon engine just to give some hobby variety but I might proxy a Stonehorn for the meantime to see if I want to run a Soulgrinder 😁

I am working ona list for a tournament end of the month right now. As I have no Archaon/Varanguard around, but a shitton of Deamon Princes, I will go for a despoilers list. It is not final yet, things like Battalion f.e. are still wip, but I like the first look of it:

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Despoilers
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen
- Triumphs:
Be'Lakor, the Dark Master (360)
- Spell: Call to Glory
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (270)
- Artefact: Helm of Many Eyes
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (115)
- Spell: Mask of Darkness
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Sword
- Command Trait: Paragon of Ruin
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- Axe
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
10 x Chaos Warriors (200)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (170)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (170)
- Cursed Lance
Soul Grinder (235)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113
Drops: 9

So the list shall have several subunits. Belakor, the Tzeentch DP and the CSLoM shall be a hammer, DP of Khorne, Soul Grinder and Warriors with Lances the second, while Warriors, the Sorcerer Lord and the Knights with Tzeentch mark shall remain in the back and take care of objectives. 

There is quite a load of healing in the list: Despoilers Perk, Emerald Lifeswarm for some burst healing, Radiance of Dark Glory. I didn't go for monstrous vigor as all wizzards know a similar spell from the battlepack already. I wanted to go for geminids in the first draft to keep a tool against Unleash Hell ready, but due to points I would have to rearrange more stuff then I'd like to to fit them in.

I hope that I will find enough terrain to disable shooting with the Despoilers Terrain Perk while coming closer to my opponents. DP's + charging manticore can hopefully deal already a good load of damage before my opponents first activation, while Khorne DP CA, Belakor and Whispers of Chaos provide some controll over the opponent that hopefully help to keep God-Models at bay.

I don't know if I shall go for low drops with the Battalions or try to get some additional Enchantments in (the Blade-Artifact that allows me full rerolls to hit/wound against one target seems like a solid way of increasing damage against certain targets).

The Tzeentch-DP as Warlord should be a solid brick. It can go easily to 2+ (reroll ones) with the Despoilers Ward, a 5+-ignore-spell-roll, healing options, hiding from LOS when fully within terrain and also a CA that buffs Belakors Magic a bit.

• Like 3

@W1tchhunter dont know if my list is semi competitive yet as Australia is in lockdown right now but my Tzeentch Idolators list should be super resilient with really good armour and rerolling 1's to save everywhere. Between the 2 sorcerers, mystic shield, all out defence and the 2 Tzeentch prayers there are 6 sources of +1 save. It also has great resistance to mortal wounds and spells while its damage output will come from spells and the chaos knights. At only 4 drops I should have choice of turn order more often than not. I dont see it winning any tournaments but it should play the objectives quite well and therefore I believe its at least semi competitive. 

Slaves to Darkness - Idolators Grand Strategy: Hold the Line 4 Drops  

Command Entourage Notes Role Points
Sorcerer Lord on Manticore Mark of Tzeentch, Spell: Binding Damnation Leader 270
Sorcerer Lord Mark of Tzeentch Artefact: Arcane Tome
Spell: Mask of Darkness
Leader 115
Idolator Lord on Chariot General, Mark of Tzeentch, Great Weapon
Trait: Fiery Orator, Aftefact: Amulet of Destiny, Prayer: Guidance
Leader 105

Battle Regiment Notes Role Points
Warshrine Mark of Tzeentch, Curse Leader, Behemoth 185
Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount Mark of Tzeentch Leader 155
Chaos Lord Mark of Tzeentch, Flail Leader 120
5 x Chaos Knights Mark of Tzeentch, Ensorcelled Weapons Battleline 170
5 x Chaos Knights Mark of Tzeentch, Glaives Battleline 170
20 x Chaos Warriors Mark of Tzeentch, Halberds & Shields Battleline 400
8 x Iron Golems Mark of Tzeentch Battleline 75
Khagra's Ravagers Mark of Undivided, Spell: Whispers of Chaos   125

Endless Spells     Points
Chronomatic Cogs     45
Soulsnare Shackles     65

TOTAL = 2000

@Enwolved I don't have the list but I played it at the event. (We actually drew our game but I recorded the score wrong as we mathed out last couple BRs.) It was two blocks of thirty warriors, a couple iron golems, and then warshrines, sorcerer/s and chaos lord to buff them. With mark of Tzeentch that many warriors are unkillable - apparently the most that died in any game was 15. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chaosoule said:

@Enwolved I don't have the list but I played it at the event. (We actually drew our game but I recorded the score wrong as we mathed out last couple BRs.) It was two blocks of thirty warriors, a couple iron golems, and then warshrines, sorcerer/s and chaos lord to buff them. With mark of Tzeentch that many warriors are unkillable - apparently the most that died in any game was 15. 

Thanks mate, thats something as least. I already knew about the two blocks of Warriors, just dont know the rest yet and I am still curious :D

On 8/12/2021 at 3:50 AM, Agent of Chaos said:

@W1tchhunter dont know if my list is semi competitive yet as Australia is in lockdown right now but my Tzeentch Idolators list should be super resilient with really good armour and rerolling 1's to save everywhere. Between the 2 sorcerers, mystic shield, all out defence and the 2 Tzeentch prayers there are 6 sources of +1 save. It also has great resistance to mortal wounds and spells while its damage output will come from spells and the chaos knights. At only 4 drops I should have choice of turn order more often than not. I dont see it winning any tournaments but it should play the objectives quite well and therefore I believe its at least semi competitive. 

Slaves to Darkness - Idolators Grand Strategy: Hold the Line 4 Drops  

Command Entourage Notes Role Points
Sorcerer Lord on Manticore Mark of Tzeentch, Spell: Binding Damnation Leader 270
Sorcerer Lord Mark of Tzeentch Artefact: Arcane Tome
Spell: Mask of Darkness
Leader 115
Idolator Lord on Chariot General, Mark of Tzeentch, Great Weapon
Trait: Fiery Orator, Aftefact: Amulet of Destiny, Prayer: Guidance
Leader 105

Battle Regiment Notes Role Points
Warshrine Mark of Tzeentch, Curse Leader, Behemoth 185
Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount Mark of Tzeentch Leader 155
Chaos Lord Mark of Tzeentch, Flail Leader 120
5 x Chaos Knights Mark of Tzeentch, Ensorcelled Weapons Battleline 170
5 x Chaos Knights Mark of Tzeentch, Glaives Battleline 170
20 x Chaos Warriors Mark of Tzeentch, Halberds & Shields Battleline 400
8 x Iron Golems Mark of Tzeentch Battleline 75
Khagra's Ravagers Mark of Undivided, Spell: Whispers of Chaos   125

Endless Spells     Points
Chronomatic Cogs     45
Soulsnare Shackles     65

TOTAL = 2000

Cheers that looks pretty solid, I have all that stuff also minus the endless spells. 

Okay, minor updates to the list I posted recently:
I went for another Battle Tactic as I realised Daemon Princes are no monsters, so priced sorcery seems like a better way to go. The Battalions allow the Blade as already planned, as well as reducing the Drops down to 5. I tought about deleting the Soul Grinder for more Chaos Warriors, but I don't have enough ones with shields around and also having 3 Monsters allows for scoring for the 3-monsters-do-a-marathon-tactic is often a neat way to score 3 easy VP, especially as this blobb is supposed to be together anyway.

After todays team tournament with Beastclaws I am confident about the emerald lifeswarm. While the Geminids would make my life certainly more easy against some shooty lineups, I really enjoyed it today as it moved 2 monsters about 5 wounds up back into some solid brackets. I will sleep over it and log in the list tomorrow

Spoiler

- Damned Legion: Despoilers
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Be'Lakor, the Dark Master (360)*
- Spell: Call to Glory
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)*
- Sword
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)*
- General
- Sword
- Command Trait: Radiance of Dark Glory
- Artefact: Doombringer Blade
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (270)**
- Artefact: Helm of Many Eyes
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (115)**

Battleline
10 x Chaos Warriors (200)**
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (170)*
- Cursed Lance
5 x Chaos Knights (170)**
- Ensorcelled Weapons

Behemoths
Soul Grinder (235)**

Endless Spells & Invocations
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Wounds: 113
Drops: 5

Hi i start with Knights of Empty Throne list can you help 

- Damned Legion: Knights of the Empty Throne
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Knights of the Empty Throne Varanguard x 6 (560)*
- General
- Command Trait: Wall of Cursed Iron
- Artefact: Grasping Plate
Chaos Lord (120)*
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (115)*

Battleline
30 x Chaos Warriors (600)*
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Reinforced x 2
5 x Chaos Knights (170)*
- Cursed Lance
5 x Chaos Knights (170)*
- Cursed Lance

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (185)*
- Prayer1: Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1920 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Wounds: 144
Drops: 1

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DJJazzyFred said:

No, varanguard don't have the eye of the gods keyword, which is required to roll on the table.

Yeah I figured that, I guess I just hoped that whatever voodoo gave them the hero keyword in Knights of the Empty Throne gave them that :P as far as I know every single mortal hero has the keyword right? 

22 hours ago, W1tchhunter said:

Yeah I figured that, I guess I just hoped that whatever voodoo gave them the hero keyword in Knights of the Empty Throne gave them that :P as far as I know every single mortal hero has the keyword right? 

That is generally correct.  There are a few mortal keyword heroes that don't have it, like Archaon and the Gaunt Summoner.

Well that is sad, another question kinda spit balling ideas around and noone else in my circle plays slaves.

If I was to take any khorne units, bloodthirster, khorne dawgs, blood warriors etc. Will they receive the aura of khorne buffs from a nearby khorne hero? And in a despoilers list would the bloodthirster gain the D3 healing, due to the monster keyword?