AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

I am actually planing to enter my first tournament with StD and now I become more and more nervous if it was a good idea, especially as I want to go for Despoilers. Any input from experienced players what could work for StD on a little bit more competetive basis?

What do you guys think about making Be'Lakor the general in a Despoiler list?

I know I would loose out on the 5 inch move command trait, and while that hurts there is not much concern about turn 1 ranged nukes in my gaming circle. Still a very tactically valuable option to have, of course.

But I feel like he could do more heavy lifting with the 5+ Aftersave and i actually do not hate to have undivided as the general's mark.

Or am I too concerned with him dying easily? I have not had the opportunity to play much, and the 14 wounds on a 4+ seem kinda good, abut also not really tanky if the opponent wants to really go at him.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:23 AM, angry_peon said:

What do you guys think about making Be'Lakor the general in a Despoiler list?

I know I would loose out on the 5 inch move command trait, and while that hurts there is not much concern about turn 1 ranged nukes in my gaming circle. Still a very tactically valuable option to have, of course.

But I feel like he could do more heavy lifting with the 5+ Aftersave and i actually do not hate to have undivided as the general's mark.

Or am I too concerned with him dying easily? I have not had the opportunity to play much, and the 14 wounds on a 4+ seem kinda good, abut also not really tanky if the opponent wants to really go at him.

I think it's decent, especially as a large aura of undivided for the general is super useful. Not to mention the undivided Warshrine buff is ace too for general damage output, which slaves suffer with a little.

Definitely worth exploring!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Izotzuhure said:

Could you give KotET Varanguard the Arcane Tome so they can cast Fire Weapons on themselves? Also, do they need to follow coherence rules as they count as a hero? 

I don't think so, since the rules states:
"A KNIGHTS OF THE EMPTY THRONE VARANGUARD unit with the HERO keyword can only have the command traits or artefacts of power listed below."

IMO it means they don't have acces to universal artifacts and spells.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys is possible give "flaming weapon " +1 damage general spell to a mount attack or I have to select a weapon of the rider? Thx a lot!

27.3.1 [...]In addition, artefacts of power and command traits that affect attacks made by friendly models do not affect attacks made by their mounts, unless noted otherwise.

They don't seem to mention for spells!

22.3.1 Sometimes the description on a warscroll will say whether the models in the unit have mounts, companions or a crew. When a model attacks, its mount, companions and crew attack too, and when the model is removed from play, its mount, companions and crew are removed too. For rules purposes, companions and crew are treated in the same manner
as mounts.

To me it is unclear, but I don't see explicit separation of caster and mount. To me it is still one model, you can't slain one without the other, shared wounds, etc. So I think you should be able to use the mount's attack as melee attacks of the model (therefor of the caster). But I could very well be wrong.

• Like 1

I noticed that 3.0 and current meta seem to make "classic" (or better sair: WHFB like) StD lists more viable again. I talk about a more infantery heavy list with maybe even different gods and Chaos Lord + Chaos Sorcerer Lord as support. 

• Chosen have a solid output due to their mortals, now that there are several things in the game that can get bonkers in defense.
  • Curse provides Chaos Warriors with some sort of Armor penetration due to possible MW trigger
  • Tzeentch Aura is the only reliable way of getting a reroll for the save (only for ones but still good). Especially nice on Karkadrak-Lord with his 3+ which can be upped to 2+. Sadly Archaon is not affected by Aura of Chaos.
  • Nurgle General Aura and Despoilers Pitch Black rule both provide us some protection from shooting (Pitch Black actually also protects from special rules or magic as it blocks LoS)

In addition, Slaughterpriests seem like a solid Ally choice: 110 pts for a D6 MW prayer or another priest to cast Curse beside our Warshrine. In addition he provides an unbind and can try to get rid of endless spells if needed. Unlike the Bloodsecrator they work fine with our army without interrupting our sorcerers work. 

On 7/18/2021 at 4:31 PM, Charlo said:

I think it's decent, especially as a large aura of undivided for the general is super useful. Not to mention the undivided Warshrine buff is ace too for general damage output, which slaves suffer with a little.

Definitely worth exploring!

Thanks for the input. I will definitely give it a shot.

For now I tried the him in a more traditional list with a Khorne DP as general, and it worked out just fine in terms of survivability. All those heals added up nicely. Hell, even my new sphiranx seemed way harder to kill than it should have.

On 7/5/2021 at 5:26 PM, drcrater said:

Yep, that's exactly what I did in my last game, and the damage output of the endless spells is pretty nasty. If you add some movement-affecting spells, like Whispers of Chaos, Realmscourge Rupture and the spell from the cabalists, you can set up a cool BBQ 

Moving the Darkfire Daemonrift three times in one round is sweet.

I think endless spell move only 2 time, you cant move then when you casted but just at the end of hero phase:(

2 hours ago, Howdyhedberg said:

I have a question. Could belakor use the following spell on himself? - ruinous vigour.

I see no point why you can't pick yourself, but I've been wrong before when it says pick 1 within  xx distance.

Be'lakor is a friendly Slaves to Darkness monster wholly within 12 of himself, so unless there is a rule I don't know about which indicates that units are not visible to themselves, you can use it on himself.

As a side note, might be better with the current GHB 2021 to use Feral Roar instead of using a spell slot for this effect, as it is much more reliable to use a CP/can't be unbound. Only for combat phase thought, instead of until your next hero phase. 

• Like 1

Somebody stop me from running this lol

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Host of the Everchosen (Sixth Circle)

All Tzeentch marked

Leaders
Be'Lakor, the Dark Master (360)
Archaon the Everchosen (830)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (115)
- General

Battleline
3 x Varanguard (280)
10 x Chaos Marauders (90)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Chaos Marauders (90)
- Axes & Shields

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (185)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, Skarband said:

Hey I would like to start with Slaves to darkness but I don't know this army at all, can this army be won without an archaon? what's the most powerful now? I dream of an army in the style of Norsca will you help?

What can win is pretty much dependent of your local meta, but overall and without using archaon, knights of the empty throne lists (focus on varanguards and support hero/units to buff them, like chaos lord, chaos sorcerer, chaos warshrine, etc.) tend to perform the best at higher levels. But honestly all subfactions can deploy list that are somewhat competitive. 

You just need to keep in mind that S2D are tanky, but they tend to lack damage output, so you need to make sure you try to have some tools that can actually kill stuff. I heard Chosen are not bad in the new edition. Warshrine+curse prayer+warriors can also be an option. A cabalist list with sacrifice fodders + endless spells also. 

Norsca/barbarian horde might be harder to pull with the new edition because of reinforcement and coherency limitations. But a block of 20 or 30 marauders is still good in pretty much any list.

6 hours ago, Skarband said:

Hey I would like to start with Slaves to darkness but I don't know this army at all, can this army be won without an archaon? what's the most powerful now? I dream of an army in the style of Norsca will you help?

Slaves to darkness is an army that specializes in being tanky and hard to move.  However, in doing so, it tends to lack in damage output.  You can certainly win games without archaeon, but you probably aren't going to win a tournament without him.  This may not be a big deal though if you just want to play casually, and against other people wanting to play casually.

If you want a "Norsca" style army, then I recommend looking into running marauders/marauder horsemen.  This can give you 2 30 blocks of marauders at 2k, which can be combined with a Chaos Sorcerer Lord and one of the StD Allegience spells to be able to teleport them into place and nearly guarantee a charge.  Then, you can back this up with some 5 man blocks of marauder horsemen to manuever around and try to take objectives.  For the rest of your army, you can try running some chariots, or just stack up on some hero's to see what happens.  For bonus points, you can run Ravagers and use a command point each turn to summon in a set of Marauders/Horsemen on the board edges to keep the pressure up all game.

Here is an example list:

Ravagers:
Chaos Sorcerer Lord
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore
Chaos Lord
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak
Chaos Lord on Manticore
Ogroid Myrmidon
2x 30 Marauders
3x 5 Marauder Horsemen

This list would work well as a "Norsca" style army under the Ravagers allegience.  It also is running 6 hero's, and can actually run 2 of the battalions to give you an extra enhancement.  This is in addition to the Ravagers allegience allowing every hero to have their own command trait, meaning you can be running around with 6 command traits and 3 artefacts.

Is it a good list?  Probably not.  It is not a tournament winning list.  However, I would bet that this list could play nicely with some of the various B tier armies out there.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm thinking about putting Archaon in his own Host subfaction and bringing Be'lakor too.
Two of their rules seem to interact really nicely: Archaon knows who has next turn and Be'lakor can shut down a model until your next hero phase. The mindgames + added reliability of combining these two rules seems very powerful. KNOWING you're going to shut down a Negash or some other big threat for two whole turns let's you move both of them around very aggressively.. of buff and watch the opponent mess their own turn up.

• Like 1

Howdy!! I wanted to ask about knight of the empty throne as I'm slowly convincing myself i might jump back into to playing. For knights of the empty throne they varangaurd can only use relics and command abilities from thier own pool?? or can they use the universal artifacts and command traits as well?

Edited by mmimzie

1 hour ago, mmimzie said:

For knights of the empty throne they varangaurd can only use relics and command abilities from thier own pool?? or can they use the universal artifacts and command traits as well?

It´s not clear. Rules as written say they can only use their own pool, but that rule is a 2.0 rule which GW didn´t address in a recent FAQ.

On the other hand there is some really good stuff there:

- forbid retreats

- auto unbind (!!!)

- 6" pile in moves from 6" away

• Like 1

Here is a Despoilers list I would like to try, I need to buy a Chaos Sorcerer lord on Manticore, I have been having issue trying to find some good list for AOS 3, I lost a lot of games with my STD army in AOS3. I'm thinking of going back to Storm Cast but I like STD, I'm thinking STD is not as strong as it was in AOS 2, but I could be wrong, any feed back would help.  

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Despoilers
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Axe
- Command Trait: Radiance of Dark Glory
- Mark of Chaos: Undivided
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (270) in Linebreaker