AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

1 minute ago, Orodhen said:

Warriors going up in points kinda stings. Minimum squad size being upped to 10 is... interesting.

Yeah not a huge fan of the size increase on them. Running them in units of 15 was my goto if I used them, so being forced into 10 or 20 is pretty rough. The changes to marauders were interesting. It's nice that they can be used as cheap battleline now, but they got a decent hike in points and you're limited to a max of 30 is a big hit to their performance. It's also annoying because i built them for 20 man units (ie. for my 40 models I built two banners, two leaders, two musicians) so they don't work very well in units of 10. Not the end of the world I guess. I'm also surprised to see that the rumor was wrong and Archaon is only 830. He's going to be an absolute beast with the new buffs so I'm definitely going to need to try him out. 

Warriors with easy access to 3+ rerollable saves with a 5+ MW ward when we're seeing a general toning down of lethality due to coherency and general points increases is no joke.

I know they can't kill anything but they don't need to when they won't budge.

Edited by Dankboss
  • Like 1

Overall it's kind of a wash, whatever extra I spend on 20 instead of 15 Warriors almost gets negated by the fact that Marauders are only up to 30 now. And with not having warscroll battalions to spend on it frees things up somewhat. Plus certain things like Varanguard/Daemon Princes being untouched, and pretty much just 5-10 point bumps across the board except for  Archaon I think StD came out pretty alright. Pretty deep discounts on Chariots as well, although I still don't think they're worth the cost really. Still a cheaper Idolator Lord isn't anything to sniff at. And with all the extra utility Priests have now, I'm trying to think up an Idolator army.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

Overall it's kind of a wash, whatever extra I spend on 20 instead of 15 Warriors almost gets negated by the fact that Marauders are only up to 30 now. And with not having warscroll battalions to spend on it frees things up somewhat. Plus certain things like Varanguard/Daemon Princes being untouched, and pretty much just 5-10 point bumps across the board except for  Archaon I think StD came out pretty alright. Pretty deep discounts on Chariots as well, although I still don't think they're worth the cost really. Still a cheaper Idolator Lord isn't anything to sniff at. And with all the extra utility Priests have now, I'm trying to think up an Idolator army.   

My regular opponent always runs at least one chariot as a pinning piece; it's pretty decent at that.

If one's army only stayed the same then they're buffed by proxy, as most other armies have gone up.

4 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

My regular opponent always runs at least one chariot as a pinning piece; it's pretty decent at that.

If one's army only stayed the same then they're buffed by proxy, as most other armies have gone up.

Yeah, 105 for a pretty damn quick roadblock/pinning piece isn't bad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, novembermike said:

Do halberds get better on warriors? A squad of 20 with halberds actually seems pretty hard to shift and good at swinging back, but that's also a lot of points...

They will at least get to fight in 2 ranks, maybe even 3. Seeing as they wound on 4s and have easy access to +1 to hit, I think running them as Nurgle and supported by a Nurgle hero for damage 2 on 6's to wound is a good shout. Throw the warshrine's nurgle prayer on them for a 3+ save and reroll wounds and they start to look really solid. If that supporting hero is a chaos lord then they can fight twice. Not much we can do about nil rend but they will be hard to shift thats for sure. 

OK so this is what I've got so far for an Idolators list;

Slaves to Darkness - Idolators (5 drops)    

Warlord Notes Role       Points
Sorcerer Lord on Manticore Mark of Nurgle, Spite Tongue Curse Leader 270

Idolator Lord

General, Mark of Nurgle, Great Weapon
Fiery Orator, Amulet of Destiny, Heal
Leader 105
Sorcerer Lord Mark of Nurgle, Mask of Darkness Leader 115

Iron Golems

Mark of Nurgle Battleline 75

Battle Regiment Notes Role  
Warshrine Mark of Nurgle, Curse Leader, Behemoth 185
Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount Mark of Nurgle Leader 155
Chaos Lord Mark of Nurgle, Flail, Arcane Tome Leader 120
Chaos Knights Mark of Nurgle, Ensorcelled Weapons Battleline 170
Chaos Knights Mark of Nurgle, Glaives Battleline 170
20 x Chaos Warriors Mark of Nurgle, Halberds & Shields Battleline 400
Chaos Chariot Mark of Nurgle, Great Blade Battleline 105

TOTAL = 1975
  • Using Warlord and Battle Regiment Core Battalions its 5 drops. Extra Enhancement slot used for an extra artifact.
  • Idolator Lord is a real utility/buff piece; big nurgle general aura for -1 to hit shooting and extra damage on 6's to wound, can cast 2 prayers (with fiery orator command trait) at +1 making him a very strong priest, took 5+ ward artifact which meant Heal generic prayer made the most sense to make him super survivable (Guidance prayer for extra CP every turn was tempting though). Was tempted to give him +2 wounds instead of the extra prayer so will prob try out both. 
  • 20 x warriors with halberds supported by chaos lord and warshrine make for a superb anvil with decent killing power provided enemy doesnt have a 2+ armour save. Lord has the wizard artifact so can throw mystic shield on the warriors combined with the warshrine prayer, they will be 3+ rerolling saves, ignoring rend -1. Use All Out Defense as needed to counter rend -2. Can the Lord take a spell from the Slaves Lore as well now that the artifact makes him a wizard?
  • Manticore and Lord on Mount with 2 x knights are a fast moving hammer, supported by the 2 x chariots.
  • Extra 25 points for a cheaky endless spell once we know the new rules/points (and/or a triumph). Would also be happy to drop a chariot and spend up to 130 points on something else but dont know what as I'm capped out on Leaders. Khagra's Ravagers maybe as an extra wizard wouldnt hurt, although I dont understand how they work as a separate unit? Is it essentially a wizard with 8 wounds or is Khagra a single unit with 2 wounds?

7 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

OK so this is what I've got so far for an Idolators list;

Slaves to Darkness - Idolators (5 drops)    

Warlord Notes Role       Points
Sorcerer Lord on Manticore Mark of Nurgle, Spite Tongue Curse Leader 270

Idolator Lord

General, Mark of Nurgle, Great Weapon
Fiery Orator, Amulet of Destiny, Heal
Leader 105
Sorcerer Lord Mark of Nurgle, Mask of Darkness Leader 115

Iron Golems

Mark of Nurgle Battleline 75

Battle Regiment Notes Role  
Warshrine Mark of Nurgle, Curse Leader, Behemoth 185
Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount Mark of Nurgle Leader 155
Chaos Lord Mark of Nurgle, Flail, Arcane Tome Leader 120
Chaos Knights Mark of Nurgle, Ensorcelled Weapons Battleline 170
Chaos Knights Mark of Nurgle, Glaives Battleline 170
20 x Chaos Warriors Mark of Nurgle, Halberds & Shields Battleline 400

TOTAL = 1975
  • Using Warlord and Battle Regiment Core Battalions its 5 drops. Extra Enhancement slot used for an extra artifact.
  • Idolator Lord is a real utility/buff piece; big nurgle general aura for -1 to hit shooting and extra damage on 6's to wound, can cast 2 prayers (with fiery orator command trait) at +1 making him a very strong priest, took 5+ ward artifact which meant Heal generic prayer made the most sense to make him super survivable (Guidance prayer for extra CP every turn was tempting though). Was tempted to give him +2 wounds instead of the extra prayer so will prob try out both. 
  • 20 x warriors with halberds supported by chaos lord and warshrine make for a superb anvil with decent killing power provided enemy doesnt have a 2+ armour save. Lord has the wizard artifact so can throw mystic shield on the warriors combined with the warshrine prayer, they will be 3+ rerolling saves, ignoring rend -1. Use All Out Defense as needed to counter rend -2. Can the Lord take a spell from the Slaves Lore as well now that the artifact makes him a wizard?
  • Manticore and Lord on Mount with 2 x knights are a fast moving hammer, supported by the 2 x chariots.
  • Extra 25 points for a cheaky endless spell once we know the new rules/points (and/or a triumph). Would also be happy to drop a chariot and spend up to 130 points on something else but dont know what as I'm capped out on Leaders. Khagra's Ravagers maybe as an extra wizard wouldnt hurt, although I dont understand how they work as a separate unit? Is it essentially a wizard with 8 wounds or is Khagra a single unit with 2 wounds?

From what we can tell, at the very least gaining a spell from an Enhancement means you choose from either Battletome or Universal spell lores. So presumably all your Wizards (including the Arcane Tome Lord) can pick and choose which ones they want. So Flaming Weapons or Whispers of Chaos looks like a good bet for the MantiSorc. 

Stacking up Idolator Lord survivability is a good shout, although it's more likely to be in the action and so Curse might be a better pick for him and have Heal on the Warshrine. With the 25 points you have left you could bump it up to a Gorebeast Chariot for an extra wound, but maybe you want the speed of a normal chariot? Plus with the new endless spell costs it's doubtful there will be one at the 25 point range.  

11 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

They will at least get to fight in 2 ranks, maybe even 3. Seeing as they wound on 4s and have easy access to +1 to hit, I think running them as Nurgle and supported by a Nurgle hero for damage 2 on 6's to wound is a good shout. Throw the warshrine's nurgle prayer on them for a 3+ save and reroll wounds and they start to look really solid. If that supporting hero is a chaos lord then they can fight twice. Not much we can do about nil rend but they will be hard to shift thats for sure. 

Rule question here, can we mix weapons in a chaos warriors unit ? "any number of models, each armed with one of the following weapon"

Not that I think it's particularly amazing, but with the changes to Horrorghast and Geminids, Bravery Bomb is at least possible. You've got Chaos Knights, The Unmade, Mindstealer Sphiranx and Helm of the Oppressor that lower Bravery (don't know if there's any allies/coalition that would add to this) plus Be'Lakor heals when enemies flee. Again probably not that viable but it's something.   

30 minutes ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

Not that I think it's particularly amazing, but with the changes to Horrorghast and Geminids, Bravery Bomb is at least possible. You've got Chaos Knights, The Unmade, Mindstealer Sphiranx and Helm of the Oppressor that lower Bravery (don't know if there's any allies/coalition that would add to this) plus Be'Lakor heals when enemies flee. Again probably not that viable but it's something.   

Can bravery penalties stack with the new limit on changes to dice rolls?

20 minutes ago, Halkbat said:

Can bravery penalties stack with the new limit on changes to dice rolls?

From what I can see in the rules, all die roll modifiers are uncapped aside from to hit/wound and saves.

19 minutes ago, cplhicks said:

If I take the Ravagers Damned Legion can I mix and match command traits from the Battletome and the core book for all my heroes?  

It doesn't seem to specify Ravager command traits only, so I think so? 

8 hours ago, Rors said:

Where are people finding the new points cost?

Facehammer did a review of the new GHB and showed all the point costs. You can find it on youtube pretty easily, but people have also taken screen shots and they're floating around the web like on the age of sigmar subreddit. 

Edited by Grimrock

I'm thinking something along these lines. The lack of screening is an issue, although the Knights can still conga-line and are pretty resilient to boot.

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Knights of the Empty Throne
Battle Regiment
Leaders
Knights of the Empty Throne Varanguard x 3 (280)
- General
- Command Trait: Annihilating Charge
- Artefact: Grasping Plate
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (170)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (170)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
30 x Chaos Marauders (270)
- Axes & Shields
20 x Chaos Warriors (400)
- Halberd & Shield

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (185)

-Prayer: Heal

Command Entourage

Knights of the Empty Throne Varanguard x 3 (280)
Chaos Lord (120)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel

-Artefact: Arcane Tome

-Spell: Whispers of Chaos
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (115)
- Spell: Mask of Darkness

Well hello. A year ago corona made me pick up my brush again, and now I’m fully invested in aos (something I swore I would never do when it was announced and I quit the hobby). I guess gw always wins in the end.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to collect and play again. I know the rules only a little bit, but I like the idea of a Despoiler list, with multiple Princes and a big cat, maybe led or joined by Be’Lakor. 

I started at the bottom by converting a big ol’ unit of marauders, I just about finished the 40th only to read they are limited to 30 now! I guess painting 30 is faster than 40… 

Question 1: Do I even bother painting this unit?

Question 2: list building:

I have 40 marauders, 6 furies, a big cat, Corvus Cabal, and 2 ogroids that are about to ascend into daemon hood. 
I’d like to purchase the start collecting box and Be’Lakor. What would you suggest to add or remove for a somewhat viable (but not hyper competitive) list? 

cheers,

max

34 minutes ago, Latetotheparty said:

Well hello. A year ago corona made me pick up my brush again, and now I’m fully invested in aos (something I swore I would never do when it was announced and I quit the hobby). I guess gw always wins in the end.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to collect and play again. I know the rules only a little bit, but I like the idea of a Despoiler list, with multiple Princes and a big cat, maybe led or joined by Be’Lakor. 

I started at the bottom by converting a big ol’ unit of marauders, I just about finished the 40th only to read they are limited to 30 now! I guess painting 30 is faster than 40… 

Question 1: Do I even bother painting this unit?

Question 2: list building:

I have 40 marauders, 6 furies, a big cat, Corvus Cabal, and 2 ogroids that are about to ascend into daemon hood. 
I’d like to purchase the start collecting box and Be’Lakor. What would you suggest to add or remove for a somewhat viable (but not hyper competitive) list? 

cheers,

max

People are in full doom-saying mode at the moment. And while in some cases it's kind of justified (Slaanesh), overall StD have come out of the points changes pretty well. 

30 Marauders for 270 is plenty good. Not as resilient as it used to be, although that's offset by having +1 armour save on tap for a command point (pretty sure the shields will be FAQ'ed to allow this). Big Cat can do work as it's a Monster so gets access to the Monstrous Rampages for pretty cheap, and a good chance of making a unit fight last is nice as well. Both Furies and Corvus Cabal can be annoying, fast screens/objective grabbers. Ogroids are a bit lacklustre really, StD isn't hurting for good support heroes, and it doesn't have amazing hitting power. 

Despoilers is one of the favourite sub-allegiances as it has good allegiance abilities, command traits and artefacts available. Do bear in mind that only the Daemon Prince that is your General gets the 5+ shrug save and 18" Mark of Chaos range, so Be'Lakor might not be the best choice as you'd miss out on a command trait and be locked into Undivided for the aura. 

As for the Start Collecting. Knights are solid, tanky, do decent damage and absorb buffs well. Warriors much the same although they are more tanky than damaging ,and the Karkadrak Lord while a touch expensive is a real tank, can do decent damage, and has a very nice command ability for Knights/Chariots. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I’m using the ogroids as a base for a Daemonprince conversion. Probably should have been more clear haha. I somehow figured out a regular dp should be the general. 

Good to hear all is not lost. 30 Marauders lined up still look pretty impressive, and it gives me the opportunity to remove my least-favorite conversions. 

thanks for the reply, and I’ll probably be back soon for more questions/answers!