AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with something I like for Be'lakor and settled around this:

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Cabalists

Leaders
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- General
- Command Trait: Mighty Ritualist
- Artefact: Scroll of Dark Unravelling
- Spell: Spite-tongue Curse
- Artefact: Black Athame
- Spell: Mask of Darkness
Be'Lakor (240)
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos

Battleline
15 x Chaos Warriors (270)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
40 x Chaos Marauders (320)
- Axes & Shields

Units
5 x Chaos Chosen (140)

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Plaguetouched Warband (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Eightfold Doom-sigil (40)

Total: 1850 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

I've always wanted to make cabalists work and I think this stands some chance at least. It could port over to ravagers with very little effort if cabalists is a dud, and I could drop the doom sigil to change the chosen to a different unit. Not like it's going to be competitive or anything, but could be fun to try out. At the very least it's got some resilience against shooting with mark of nurgle and a couple fun tricks to mess with the opponent. 

Edited by Grimrock

2 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with something I like for Be'lakor and settled around this:

- Damned Legion: Cabalists

Leaders
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
- General
- Command Trait: Mighty Ritualist
- Artefact: Scroll of Dark Unravelling
- Spell: Spite-tongue Curse
- Artefact: Black Athame
- Spell: Mask of Darkness
Be'Lakor (240)
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos

Battleline
15 x Chaos Warriors (270)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
40 x Chaos Marauders (320)
- Axes & Shields

Units
5 x Chaos Chosen (140)

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Plaguetouched Warband (180)

Eightfold Doom-sigil (40)

Total: 1850 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

I've always wanted to make cabalists work and I think this stands some chance at least. It could port over to ravagers with very little effort if cabalists is a dud, and I could drop the doom sigil to change the chosen to a different unit. Not like it's going to be super competitive, but could be fun to try out. 

We tried the Doomsigil with Be'lakor but it's not worth the hassle, from what we found.

Trying to make a cabalist lists with Belakor not sure everything is worth what do you think of it ? Especially I think i Need anvil but dont know how  xD

Cabalists and all

Leaders
Belakor (380) spell to reroll against monsters and heroes
- Allies
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
- Allies
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110) undivided 
Spell mask of darkness
General : +1 to the ritual
Artifacts doing auto the ritual

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (320)
- Axes & Shields
- Mark of Chaos: Undivided
- Axes & Shields
5 x chaos knights (160) 

-ensorcelled weapons 

-Mark of chaos : Undivides 

10 x splintered fangs (70)

Umbral Spellportal (70)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 138

On 4/18/2021 at 3:42 AM, Graywater said:

Curious to see what people come up with regarding lists with new be'lakor. I'm thinking you're going to have to pick between him and plaguetouched now. He's too expensive to afford him and all of the units for plaguetouched without going full min units. 

My initial thought was to drop him to try to squeeze more damage into my list. But I'm not really putting out tons of damage anyways, so now I'm thinking maybe going full control route may be the way to go for us. 

List 1. Despoilers,  Belakor + Godsworn + sorc (for artifact and reroll on Belakor) + random undivided units. 2 drop count, Belakor fights in hero phase.

List 2. Cabalists, Plaguetouched 4 sorcs + 4 units (or Pleasurebound 4 sorcs + 3 units), Belakor. 2 drop, you have lots of casts with bonuses.

List 3. Idolators, Chariot general + shrine + sorc (reroll) + Belakor + sea of undivided cultists (should be able to have 4 full units). Big drop count but you have lots of fearless bodies for scoring. Chariot heals Belakor.

Edited by Smooth criminal

24 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

List 1. Despoilers,  Belakor + Godsworn + sorc (for artifact and reroll on Belakor) + random undivided units. 2 drop count, Belakor fights in hero phase.

I'm afraid Be'lakor doesn't count, he's not a StoD Daemon Prince in name, only in keywords. The battalion isn't keyworded.

26 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

List 2. Cabalists, Plaguetouched 4 sorcs + 4 units (or Pleasurebound 4 sorcs + 3 units), Belakor. 2 drop, you have lots of casts with bonuses.

List 3. Idolators, Chariot general + shrine + sorc (reroll) + Belakor + sea of undivided cultists (should be able to have 4 full units). Big drop count but you have lots of fearless bodies for scoring. Chariot heals Belakor.

List 1 doesn't work because be'lakor doesn't qualify for the Battalion. Its locked to generic daemon princes.

List 2 sounds fun with lots of casts, but not really much TO cast. 

I do like list 3. I'm thinking drops matter less with be'lakor because he helps mitigate that double turn threat, so throwing points at a battalion to get lower drops isn't mandatory like with other builds. 

6 hours ago, DaCapo said:

Trying to make a cabalist lists with Belakor not sure everything is worth what do you think of it ? Especially I think i Need anvil but dont know how  xD

Cabalists and all

Leaders
Belakor (380) spell to reroll against monsters and heroes
- Allies
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
- Allies
Spell mask of darkness
General : +1 to the ritual
Artifacts doing auto the ritual

Battleline
- Axes & Shields
- Axes & Shields
5 x chaos knights (160) 

-ensorcelled weapons 

-Mark of chaos : Undivides 

10 x splintered fangs (70)

Umbral Spellportal (70)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 138

If you're looking for an anvil, you could drop one unit of marauders down to 20 and bump the Knights up to 10. 10 Knights are adequately tanky and 20 marauders are nice for a teleport threat that isn't as much of an investment, so its not a big deal if they get killed off. 

Quick question, for games with friends (not tournament orientated), does the current Start Collecting Box work well, together with Kagras Reavers (from Underworlds) and a Box of Gresh' Idolators?

Assuming that I own every Chaos Warband from Warcry which can be used as marauders.

The question would be, if I should buy the Box with 3 chariots, or invest in other models.

Greetings, Doomhowler

17 hours ago, Dankboss said:

We tried the Doomsigil with Be'lakor but it's not worth the hassle, from what we found.

After trying it out I'd tend to agree. Only got one turn with a significant number of deaths near the sigil but it went to a double and all the bonus attacks were lost immediately. On the Be'Lakor front it unfortunately turned out how I worried it would, his offensive capabilities are still pretty mediocre and his resilience is only so so. Basically the only thing he did was cripple a deathstar unit for one turn and encourage the opponent to skip a double turn to get the debuff off faster. Incredibly potent to be sure, but I'm not sure if it's worth 380 points. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

After trying it out I'd tend to agree. Only got one turn with a significant number of deaths near the sigil but it went to a double and all the bonus attacks were lost immediately. On the Be'Lakor front it unfortunately turned out how I worried it would, his offensive capabilities are still pretty mediocre and his resilience is only so so. Basically the only thing he did was cripple a deathstar unit for one turn and encourage the opponent to skip a double turn to get the debuff off faster. Incredibly potent to be sure, but I'm not sure if it's worth 380 points. 

I think Be'lakor is decent and capable, but no longer the auto include he was. Personally I think that's for the better. Those who like him can still build around him and get results, I'm sure. He's certainly no stab in the foot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doomhowler said:

Quick question, for games with friends (not tournament orientated), does the current Start Collecting Box work well, together with Kagras Reavers (from Underworlds) and a Box of Gresh' Idolators?

Assuming that I own every Chaos Warband from Warcry which can be used as marauders.

The question would be, if I should buy the Box with 3 chariots, or invest in other models.

Greetings, Doomhowler

The start collecting box is excellent. All great models and the karkadrak and Knights are fun to use. Khagra's ravagers are another source for spells, so that is useful since we have a couple Lore spells that are good. Id skip the chariot Box though unless you're super keen on running them. The chariots are pretty disappointing to use, so the money/points would probably be better spent elsewhere. If you're looking for games with friends, focus on the models you like best. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Perturbato said:

Hey question about idolators

The priests gain the Leader battlefield rôle. Do they get to spread Aura of chaos around ? If not it is completely useless and it is a waste of writing isn't it ?

It really only affects scoring in some scenarios, which can be nice giving additonal scoring utility for Warshrines (that already score more in Focal Points). For Aura of Chaos they would need Hero keyword which is not the case.

Just now, Eldarain said:

Given GW's recent trend of having the art closely mimic the miniatures and the frequent use of Bloodreavers when they depict light Chaos infantry is this a sign of new Marauders?

aSULgSdyxFxQdC7C.jpg

Unfortunately, I'd say these do look like the current old kit so I wouldn't bet on new ones from this; however, fingers crossed as it would be nice.

Edited by Archion89

hey, what about the despoilers with belakor !

The two Daemon princes can heal up to D3 if lucky each turn and have the pitch black ability ! The second daemon prince give a 5+ FNP in 18" mark of chaos ! And i used khorne daemon prince as the command trait is the best imo to be sure my chaos knights are the one who charge ! I could put one chaos sorcerer out to add 5 horsemen marauder for better use of the battalion ..

- Damned Legion: Despoilers

LEADERS
Be'lakor (380)
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Command Trait: Paragon of Ruin 
- Axe
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle 
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (230)
- Artefact: Armour of Tortured Souls 
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Spell: Mask of Darkness
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Spell: Ruinous Vigour

UNITS
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons

BEHEMOTHS
Chaos Warshrine (170)

BATTALIONS
Ruinbringer Warband (140)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 113

I think the Be'lakor is actually way better now in despoilers. I know he gets his own subfaction but keeping that many troops in 18 seems more thematic than mechanically strong along with the rest of the buffs.

He may not pass off wounds but in despoilers he gets a 5+ ward save and extra heals. Both of these are a lot better on a model with additional wounds.

Slaves also generally lack a unit with good rend and damage which is exactly what he now brings to the table.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 3:12 PM, Graywater said:

List 1 doesn't work because be'lakor doesn't qualify for the Battalion. Its locked to generic daemon princes.

List 2 sounds fun with lots of casts, but not really much TO cast. 

I do like list 3. I'm thinking drops matter less with be'lakor because he helps mitigate that double turn threat, so throwing points at a battalion to get lower drops isn't mandatory like with other builds. 

I have a question: why is list 1 battalion

locked to generic DP? Where did you read this?

And what about the Ravager Battalion?

All cultists units don't have the word cultist as generic word in the headline

but also only keyworded cultists or am i wrong at this? I hope i could express my opinion to you? Because i am not a native english speaker. greetz Homer 72

Just now, Homer72 said:

I have a question: why is list 1 battalion

locked to generic DP? Where did you read this?

And what about the Ravager Battalion?

All cultists units don't have the word cultist as generic word in the headline

but also only keyworded cultists or am i wrong at this? I hope i could express my opinion to you? Because i am not a native english speaker. greetz Homer 72

The godsworn battalion allows for a daemon prince to be included as the hero. However, the daemon prince typeface is normal, which means that it is referencing the specific name of the unit. In this case, it means that it can include a generic daemon prince specifically. If the battalion said DAEMON PRINCE (in bold typeface), then it would be referencing the keyword, and so be'lakor could be included. 

I dont know which battalion you are referring to when you say ravager battalion. Ravagers is a subfaction and there aren't any battalions limited to just them. Happy to look at it if you give me some more info.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Graywater said:

The godsworn battalion allows for a daemon prince to be included as the hero. However, the daemon prince typeface is normal, which means that it is referencing the specific name of the unit. In this case, it means that it can include a generic daemon prince specifically. If the battalion said DAEMON PRINCE (in bold typeface), then it would be referencing the keyword, and so be'lakor could be included. 

I dont know which battalion you are referring to when you say ravager battalion. Ravagers is a subfaction and there aren't any battalions limited to just them. Happy to look at it if you give me some more info.

You are right! I was completly wrong.

I had overead the "godsworn". And thougt it to be the ravager subfaction

(not battalion-second fault). Thank you for your quick answer and my " enlightment" ;)