AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

8 minutes ago, Andrethegreat said:

I'm new to STD and this why I'm asking this, to do a Idoiator's  list do I have to have a Idoiators lord in the list? 

You don't HAVE to, but you lose out on the ability to have your cultists units have marks, use the desecrate command ability, and don't get the special prayers in the subfaction if you don't have an Idolator Lord.

1 hour ago, annarborhawk said:

Azyr app has Sigvald generating an Aura of Slaanesh- that has to be wrong, no?  He’s not a Slaves to Darkness Hero.   

It’s a cool model I wouldn’t mind throwing in to a fun StD list.  

You're correct. He doesn't give off an aura because he isn't slaves to darkness. I would trust the list building part of azyr. It seems to always have some sort of mistake showing up. 

10 hours ago, Graywater said:

You're correct. He doesn't give off an aura because he isn't slaves to darkness. I would trust the list building part of azyr. It seems to always have some sort of mistake showing up. 

Oh well.  For fun, he might make a decent teleport hero assassin using mask of darkness with his +3 charge, smaller footprint, and ability to deal wounds w/o negation - a change of pace from teleporting marauders, anyway.

1 minute ago, annarborhawk said:

Oh well.  For fun, he might make a decent teleport hero assassin using mask of darkness with his +3 charge, smaller footprint, and ability to deal wounds w/o negation - a change of pace from teleporting marauders, anyway.

It would... except Mask of Darkness requires the slaves to darkness keyword.

• Sad 1

Hey all, I'm starting a StD army and Ravagers appeals to me.

I'm not too keen on Marauders because the sculpts look a little dated to my eye, so I'm starting with SC and Cultists. I've picked up some Untamed Beasts since they sound decent.

I'm partly a rule-of-cool player, so I don't need a relentlessly optimized army, but I am interested in opinions about other Cultists.

1 hour ago, Pyrk said:

Hey all, I'm starting a StD army and Ravagers appeals to me.

I'm not too keen on Marauders because the sculpts look a little dated to my eye, so I'm starting with SC and Cultists. I've picked up some Untamed Beasts since they sound decent.

I'm partly a rule-of-cool player, so I don't need a relentlessly optimized army, but I am interested in opinions about other Cultists.

Untamed Beasts make for great forward ranging screens and Iron Golems do well as tanky objective sitters. The rest are unfortunately a bit lacklustre as Cultists can't take Marks of Chaos outside of the Idolators legion.   

1 hour ago, Pyrk said:

Alrighty, thanks. I'll probably work on Beasts for now and look at Iron Golems later. Hopefully the Cultists will get buffed when Slaves gets its time in 3.0.

Have you looked into idolators? Cultists units aren't great, but getting marked, battleline status, and the marauder charge rule goes a long way to make cultists usable. Some units like the splintered fang become more enticing in this subfaction if you're refusing to use marauders.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:08 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

I'm now 3-2 with my Idolators in this league which definitely exceeded my expectations. If it goes ahead the last game will be against Ogres including a unit of 12 x Gluttons. Think I will have to throw everything at that unit as if it goes down I'm in with a chance.

@Agent of Chaos Get to have the game against the Ogres?

12 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I did not. League ended there. Still keen to try a 2K Idolator list but havnt had the chance yet 😞

Ah okay, I enjoyed reading those.

I was just thinking of doing a plague touched warband with idolators.  I ended up picking up a warshrine so changed my list from what I shared prior.  I think the chaos lord and sorcerer lord would be left out of the battalion.  I have 90 point left but unsure how to change up the list to close that gap.  I have an additional sorcerer lord and 3 varanguard to work with.  Looking at it more, I should probably swap from Ulgu to Chamon for plate of perfect protection due to Nurgle prayer rerolling wounds.

PT2k.pdf

Edited by Archion89
  • Thanks 1

I really wish they’d made Archaon less points (can have been less powerful too). But I find it insanely hard to make a satisfying list with him leading a horde of chaos warriors and knights when he’s 800Pts :/ 

It always ends up being about buffing him up with other heroes, which seems a bit boring and 1 note, and also a bit boring for the opponent.

Anyway, that’s my whinge lol. Just not sure what to do with this amazing model. 

Edited by Tiberius501

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

I really wish they’d made Archaon less points (can have been less powerful too). But I find it insanely hard to make a satisfying list with him leading a horde of chaos warriors and knights when he’s 800Pts :/ 

It always ends up being about buffing him up with other heroes, which seems a bit boring and 1 note, and also a bit boring for the opponent.

If it's thematic you want, run him with 4 units of 6th Circle Varanguard - all marked Khorne with ensorcelled weapons. ( And you have room for an endless spell too. ) You probably won't win,  but it will be glorious.

Edited by annarborhawk

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

Thats the problem with all those god level characters- make them too cheap/weak and its tabletop power doesn't reflect Lore power, make them too expensive/strong and its pretty much all that's in your list. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 3:48 PM, Graywater said:

Have you looked into idolators? Cultists units aren't great, but getting marked, battleline status, and the marauder charge rule goes a long way to make cultists usable. Some units like the splintered fang become more enticing in this subfaction if you're refusing to use marauders.

I've been looking at it, but I've heard poor things about Chaos Chariots? It seems you have to upgrade one to get the Cultist benefits.

3 minutes ago, Pyrk said:

I've been looking at it, but I've heard poor things about Chaos Chariots? It seems you have to upgrade one to get the Cultist benefits.

Yes, you have to take one to upgrade it to a chaos lord on chariot and get some of the suballegiance benefits, which aren't insignificant. Improving prayer rolls, battleline cultists with a great charge bonus, and giving them marks is all pretty good. Honestly, slaves is not in the top half of books in regard to strength. And its going to be even tougher if you are looking to avoid one of our actually good warscrolls in marauders. Making the call of adding the lord on chariot is a small price to pay to try to get some mileage out of the cultist units.

So good news Be'lakor's warscroll (now on the GW website with the model up for pre order) keeps all the good stuff, STD keyword, just adds more attacks, rend, wounds etc and his dark master ability is clarified to apply to more types of action. Don't think I've missed anything major so all good for us! Just need to wait to find out how much of a points hike he gets now... 

1 hour ago, Chaosoule said:

So good news Be'lakor's warscroll (now on the GW website with the model up for pre order) keeps all the good stuff, STD keyword, just adds more attacks, rend, wounds etc and his dark master ability is clarified to apply to more types of action. Don't think I've missed anything major so all good for us! Just need to wait to find out how much of a points hike he gets now... 

He's 380 (saw a points leak) :)

I think there's some debate on whether he's worth it now as, despite being better than before, it's how much value those extra attacks and wounds bring compared to his previous primary purpose (e.g. a lot of people used him as a cheap disruption peace, whereas now he's an expensive disruption peace with good wounds and decent defence)

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

He's 380 (saw a points leak) :)

I think there's some debate on whether he's worth it now as, despite being better than before, it's how much value those extra attacks and wounds bring compared to his previous primary purpose (e.g. a lot of people used him as a cheap disruption peace, whereas now he's an expensive disruption peace with good wounds and decent defence)

I'm in the boat of not worth it, at least initially. The couple extra attacks don't change much since he was never meant to be a damage dealer anyways. 2 inches of extra move is nice, but now he degrades, so I call that a wash. Best bit is an extra 6 wounds. But as purely a disruption piece, 380 points is rough. also, the new wording on dark master rule is a double edge sword. Seems like we have a lot more flexibility now that we dont have to pick a unit at the start of the game, but also appears that now we cannot get the effect if he is killed before you use it. Ill likely try him but I'm not optimistic. Looking at my lists I had built with old belakor, I'm losing a lot to fit in the new boy. Too much in my opinion.

• Like 1

Aside from Archaon, he's the only real caster who can properly utilize those 12" StoD spells, since the manticore lord dies to a stuff breeze. So he can get up close without the risk of instant death. The extra durability lets him utilize things like Enfeeble Foe, which is very powerful. Before, Be'lakor was always cowering in the back and forgotten, only brought along for his gimmick. Now he's his own man and can actively participate in the fight.

He's also a source of -2 rend, which StoD severely lack in any consistent capacity.

He'll also be the one and only time Call to Glory gets cast for when he wants to throwdown with other heroes and monsters.

Before he was 240 points of one big ability and the occasional spell, for the price of a sorcerer lord on top you get someone who can actively participate in the game and fight when he needs to. In Despoilers he works well with lots of Marauders, since he'll get a 5+ ward and give a 6+ ward to them and prevent battleshock, which saves on CP. The rest of the army can be other marks.

Edited by Dankboss
  • Like 1

Exacly. I think new allegance is not very competitive. As i understood you have to play belakor as general and an army demon based. If I play plaguebearers i cant use MoN rules thats not great. 

In despoilers can be very good . Remeber the ability now its " until your next hero phase" . Potentially if I start the round, after my opponemt play and I use ability. We roll for priority and my oppo win ... if he take turn he still got belakor debuff so I can give me the turn for that  and I dont have to play against doble turn!!