AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

5 minutes ago, velocitydog said:

Thanks Sesom.  Why in the world did I think a regular sorcerer could do this?  I have written down in some old notes "casting value 6, summon 10 bloodletters within 16" of caster, 9" away from enemy, summon 20 on a roll of 11+".   I am seriously confused as to where this came from.

The game hasn't had summoning through spellcasting in quite some time. That would have been from several years ago, well before aos2.

Edited by Graywater

Khorne lord on Karkadrak is probably the best bet. In Ravagers the Eternal Vendetta Trait goes well. Unfortunately none of the artifacts do much in melee; maybe the realm of fire artifact on the axe for exploding 6's? Ally in a bloodsecrator and/or wrathmongers for an extra attack. Whatever you do he will never be a mawcrusher or terrorgheist. 

1 hour ago, Eldarain said:

Anyone have some thoughts on making any of our characters into decent beatsticks? Seems outside of the big man they're all support pieces.

I don't think that is really the point of most of the StD heroes, they are all kind of middle of the road fighters with some nice synergies to make our units the real hammer. You can always try allying in a fightier hero or monster from beasts or one of the gods?

20 hours ago, Sesom said:

I don't think that is really the point of most of the StD heroes, they are all kind of middle of the road fighters with some nice synergies to make our units the real hammer. You can always try allying in a fightier hero or monster from beasts or one of the gods?

This is exactly why people scratch their heads.

According to lore, the best of the best fighters are moved to the next stage in developement.

Marauders -> Chaos Warriors -> Knights ->Heroes 

So a Chaos Hero should be insanely skilled at fighting and killing

• Like 2

People, I have two questions regarding the Chaos Warcry warbands. I know that they can be used in Slaves to Darkness but they are, to put it polite, not very good in their rules and abilities.  There was a recent FAQ but that did not change anything on a grand scale.

1. Is there any hope for these units, who truly look amazing, to finally get some proper rules so people can run them in Slaves to Darkness?

2. I am mostly interested in Splintered Fang, Unmade, Untamed Beasts and Scions of the Flame? Are there any viable ways to run them?

Splintered fang have the highest damage output. You can mark them khorne and ally in buffers from Blades of Khorne to pump them up. I have not actually played them in game yet though, I just ran the numbers.
Unmade feel like they should be good due to the good weapon on the champion, but they statistically do not have the output of splintered fang.
I want to try and make Unmade work due to their no retreat rule, but I have made no progress on figuring it out.

They made an Idolators host for those units, slap a mark, a full reroll on them from the shrine and you're done. You don't really need anything else, full reroll prayer is the best force multiplier per point.

Splintered fangs dump 10+ mws in combat phase. Untamed beasts can charge turn 1 across the table without teleport and kill the screens. Scions shoot. Unmades are for tagging stuff in small units.

Went to a 5 game event a couple weekends ago with empty throne. The list is quite powerful tbh
3w 2L
Should of been 4-5 wins (obviously would of changed match ups),but I havent played in 18+ months and made some really silly mistakes

Beat maw krusha/pig ork list, new DoK  and Ogres.

Lost to  gargants on the 6 objective 2nd player removes one mission. I messed up my positioning at the end lost by 1-2 points and just didnt have the bodies to take a 30 wound objectve off the big guy and the gargant unit had 1 wound left. Silly silly mistake but live and learn.

Loss vs teclis netlist (teclis, big guy, archers, stone hammers etc you've all seen it before). Got a first turn teleport charge into archers then pile in 6 into teclis with the 6 varanguard, got him to 2 wounds and completely forgot I had warshrine re-rollls. Probably would of won with a turn 1 dead teclis but just got whittled away by mortals afterwards

was good fun though and this list definately can compete with some of the stronger stuff

On 3/22/2021 at 1:25 AM, kore5022 said:

Went to a 5 game event a couple weekends ago with empty throne. The list is quite powerful tbh
3w 2L

was good fun though and this list definitely can compete with some of the stronger stuff

Did you do the full list with Belakor and the untamed beasts? Because that would be pretty tempting if there wasn't a roided out belakor around the corner. 

1 hour ago, grimgold said:

Did you do the full list with Belakor and the untamed beasts? Because that would be pretty tempting if there wasn't a roided out belakor around the corner. 

So it was only a 1 day, 3 game event, but I won an event with the Dave kerr Knights of the empty throne list the other weekend. Wanted to use a tried and true list for my first event with the subfaction. Its a great list, but I think it's days are numbered with new be'lakor coming. I've been playing around with lists that don't run him so I'm prepared if they change change him/take him away. Taking him out really messes with the feel of it. My favorite is a 1 drop army with the 6 varanguard and 2x10 chaos knights. 

1 hour ago, Archion89 said:

Does seem odd that the book doesn't internally support beatstick heroes from the look of it.  In fact, half of the heroes don't seem to benefit from basic internal synergies due to the lack of marks, even that of undivided.

Yeah it's weird that the darkoath couple can't have marks. It feels like it was done to keep people from spamming them in ravagers lists, but since ravagers are kind of so-so it seems unnecessary.

48 minutes ago, Graywater said:

So it was only a 1 day, 3 game event, but I won an event with the Dave kerr Knights of the empty throne list the other weekend. Wanted to use a tried and true list for my first event with the subfaction. Its a great list, but I think it's days are numbered with new be'lakor coming. I've been playing around with lists that don't run him so I'm prepared if they change change him/take him away. Taking him out really messes with the feel of it. My favorite is a 1 drop army with the 6 varanguard and 2x10 chaos knights. 

I wonder what kind of lists Be'lakor will enable? The legion of chaos ascendant from WotEC would seem to hint that Be'lakor will be demon focused instead of mortal focused, which will require alot of rules to make it work.

2 minutes ago, grimgold said:

Yeah it's weird that the darkoath couple can't have marks. It feels like it was done to keep people from spamming them in ravagers lists, but since ravagers are kind of so-so it seems unnecessary.

I wonder what kind of lists Be'lakor will enable? The legion of chaos ascendant from WotEC would seem to hint that Be'lakor will be demon focused instead of mortal focused, which will require alot of rules to make it work.

I'm planning on losing be'lakor altogether. If not by him being removed from our book in favor of his own Legion of chaos ascendant, then by him being so many points that he just doesn't fit well into lists. So im prepping for that loss now, and if our little form somehow sticks around then it's only looking up. He and plaguetouched are the two crutches in our book at the moment.

3 hours ago, Graywater said:

Would you mind sharing your list with 20 Knights and the 6varanguard?  I really want to see a armored list do well as they are my favorite models. 

9 minutes ago, cplhicks said:

Would you mind sharing your list with 20 Knights and the 6varanguard?  I really want to see a armored list do well as they are my favorite models. 

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Knights of the Empty Throne
Mortal Realm: Chamon
Knights of the Empty Throne Varanguard x 6 (560)
- General
- Command Trait: Inescapable Doom
- Artefact: Grasping Plate
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos
- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection
- Spell: Mask of Darkness
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
20 x Chaos Marauders (160)
- Axes & Shields
1 x Slaves to Darkness Chaos Spawn (50)
Chaos Warshrine (170)
Plaguetouched Warband (180)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

I do wish I could fit a chaos lord in, but the redundant sorceror lords are too important, and the backup knight units help push damage through on a turn you don't want to use your once per game double activate on the varanguard. You could drop the marauders for a unit of 5 knights to go full cav, but theyre just too useful as a teleport and near guaranteed charge threat, which you need in order to keep your opponent honest since you don't have be'lakor to do it for you. 

Edited by Graywater
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grimgold said:

Nah mine was based around stuff I could paint in time/what I had. For some reason I own 12 varanguard at Australian prices 🤢🤢

6x varanguard (general) 6" pile in

3x varanguard

Sorc lord

Chaos Lord

15x warriors

20x marauders

5x. Knights

Warshrine

Plaugetouched

The 15 wars  are tanky but do nothing back. The marauders are nice for the points. I can definately see how untamed beasts significantly improve things.

I wanted one drop as it was the big thing when I used to play however I definitely didn't need it

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, grimgold said:

@kore5022 That's very similar to the list I was thinking of, because I also wanted a block of warriors to hold objectives, and because they look awesome. I also wanted to add a 10 man of knights, but they are hard to justify since marauder horsemen are much more efficient points wise.

Out of curiosity, what about marauder horsemen makes you look at them favorably over Chaos Knights? I have the opposite assessment when viewing the two units.

I was thinking of doing this list as a light and fun little list, Feed back will be welcome.

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Ravagers

Leaders
Darkoath Warqueen (90)
- General
- Command Trait: Bolstered by Hate
- Artefact: Blasphemous Cuirass
- Ravagers Command Trait: Bolstered by Hate
Darkoath Chieftain (90)
- Artefact: Hellfire Sword
- Ravagers Command Trait: Unquestioned Resolve