AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

I would rather expect that we receive 1-2 new sub-alligiences.

New Marauders would be great, thats something I am expecting for a longer time concidering that the sculpts are so dated gw should have removed them with the tomes release. 

But what I really hope for is a cool Story-Ark. BR:Moriathi has shacken up the mortal realms with Morathis Ritual, Slaanesh's child and Har Kuron/ Anvilgaard. BR: Teclis meanwhile seems quite boring, especially compared to Wrath of the Everchosen which had a similar plot. Therefore I hope that Belakor has some real impact on the world. Let him kill Archaon, I would be fine with it. Reveal that during all the time in the shadows he gained controll over Malerion an absorbed/killed him in order to gain power for his own plans. Whatever, but make it impact the world more than "yeah, a battle" 

12 hours ago, kozokus said:

I wonder what happen when you roll 9-10 or 11-12 on the EOTG table with a warqueen.

(Spoiler : no summonning and a markless Daemon Prince...DERP)

I’d rule that you’d get Furies for 9-10. They could use the Undivided keyword too.

11-12 result is when the hero finally makes up their mind which god they follow. So chose your mark.

It would be nice to get an offical faq for this.

Saturday i have a tts friendly tourny. Thats what i wanna bring.

Ravagers

Chaos lord kardarak 

-Trait 6, artif 1

Chaos lord 

-trait 5

Chaos sorcerer lord 

-trait 3 , spell 4

Sorcerer lord on manticore 

- trait 1 , artif 6 , spell 1

20 marauders nurgle

10 knights  nurgle 

5 marauder horseman nurgle

5 knights nurgle

Chaos warshrine nurgle 

Chaos warshrine nurgle

Plaguetouch battalion ( everythimg exept 20 maraud)

What do you think about that?

3 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Saturday i have a tts friendly tourny. Thats what i wanna bring.

Ravagers

Chaos lord kardarak 

-Trait 6, artif 1

Chaos lord 

-trait 5

Chaos sorcerer lord 

-trait 3 , spell 4

Sorcerer lord on manticore 

- trait 1 , artif 6 , spell 1

20 marauders nurgle

10 knights  nurgle 

5 marauder horseman nurgle

5 knights nurgle

Chaos warshrine nurgle 

Chaos warshrine nurgle

Plaguetouch battalion ( everythimg exept 20 maraud)

What do you think about that?

The Karkadrak Lord should have ETERNAL Vendetta as He is your strongest Combat Hero. The Artefact is rather meh, but He already has a 5+ against Mortals, he might get the Mark of the High Favored, as his place  is in the middle of the battle. 

The other Traits should be Bolstered by Hate and Master of Deception, which should be put on  the Manticor and the Chaos Lord. Your Sorcerer Lord on foot should get the Mask of Darkness so that you can teleport Marauders around, whereas the Manticor Sorcerer should get the Binding Damnation and the Blasphemous Cuirass as Artefact. 

Regarding your Bataillon: I would rather put the Marauders into the Bataillon, because they are more likely to End up in close Combat, where the Bataillon Ability works. 

I do Not think that you need two Warshrines. Ok, you can give a unit +1 save and re-roll everything and they are quite decent by themselves. However, perhaps it is only my flavor, I would replace one Shrine with 20 more Marauders, either add them or get another unit. Moreover, I do Not like Marauder Horsemen, because they are too expensive for what they do. Perhaps you can get something different for the Points.

I just tried to calculate something: Axing Horsemen and Shrine would get you 300 points which is enough for one unit of Marauders and a small Chosen unit. Or perhaps just include Belakor.

That would be my play style, it does Not need to be Yours. I like to have many small threats to divert fire. 

• Like 2

Game 5 of our 1250 point League yesterday, with my Idolators against Cabalists in Blades Edge. Pretty relevant given the recent chat on here regarding Cabalists.

It was a solid win for the Idolators. Score was 15-11 however I tabled him by bottom of Round 4. Score was close as he double turned me twice so was able to retreat onto some objectives before I could wipe him.

His list included Thedra and her mob for sacrificing, sorcerer on foot and on manticore, Chaos Lord, 10 x knights, 5x warriors, 10x hounds & 6x Raptoryx.

The fully buffed knights got into me with the double turn from 1 into 2 but I had my screen far forward enough that the double pile in only cost me 5 warriors and a sorcerer. The marauders and Idolator Lord went in and did work and then he rolled a 6 for battleshock so no more knights. After that it was a matter of clearing the hounds/raptoryx and when I double turned from 2 into 3 it was well and truly game over. He double turned from 3 into 4 which enabled him to retreat onto 2 objectives but I then tabled him bottom of 4. All up I only lost 5 warriors, a sorcerer and about 12 or so Marauders.

Idolator Lord put in work, killing the chaos lord and finishing off the manticore for 2 eye of the gods rolls! first roll gave me +1 save which came in handy when fighting the Manticore later. 2nd roll was the ignore spell on 4+ but game was over then anyway. My poor opponent only had 2 chances to perform the ritual for bonuses to cast and failed both. However in fairness and I failed my 2+ prayers from the shrine and lord 5 times throughout the game. 

Failing the ritual mattered little as the inherent problems with Cablaists were there to see; investing heavily in sorcerers leaves you weak in combat and slaves do not have enough damage dealing spells with decent range to magically dominate a game. 

I'm now 3-2 with my Idolators in this league which definitely exceeded my expectations. If it goes ahead the last game will be against Ogres including a unit of 12 x Gluttons. Think I will have to throw everything at that unit as if it goes down I'm in with a chance.

Thx a lot @Salyx. I found your artifact and trait suggestion very useful. My plan with the list is warshrine buff on kardarak and 10 knights , and reroll saves from  sorcer on foot amd manticore on same units.  They are super tanky with all buffs stacked and battalion helps a lot for Mw output. I agree about marouder part of battalion . Maybe insted of 1 shrine. About idea of 40 marouder i found hard to teleport them because they are simply too mutch. They are amazing once they fight but with ravager i dont need so many bodyes because i can summon Easy marauder to charge and block enemy threat . My usage for 20 marauder is screen my important units. At the begin i planned to play pretty mutch same list without manticore and with belakor. He is just amazing. With ravager i wanna test manticore because i can have another turn of free summon and i think his reroll save ability can fit better with the list. Thank you for your opinions,  feel of free to comment! :)

@Wraith

It is a bit smaller than the original chaos mammoth, closer in scale to the Mumakil from Middle Earth, but bulkier.

If you put it on the right base it will do the part.

Got one of these years ago with an alternate armored head, but it is still unassembled in my great grey pile of shame, otherwise i would share some pics for scale. Might sell it or trade it eventually as i am running out of storage with all my huge beasties and still can't get around to painting any of them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Game 5 of our 1250 point League yesterday, with my Idolators against Cabalists in Blades Edge. Pretty relevant given the recent chat on here regarding Cabalists.

It was a solid win for the Idolators. Score was 15-11 however I tabled him by bottom of Round 4. Score was close as he double turned me twice so was able to retreat onto some objectives before I could wipe him.

His list included Thedra and her mob for sacrificing, sorcerer on foot and on manticore, Chaos Lord, 10 x knights, 5x warriors, 10x hounds & 6x Raptoryx.

The fully buffed knights got into me with the double turn from 1 into 2 but I had my screen far forward enough that the double pile in only cost me 5 warriors and a sorcerer. The marauders and Idolator Lord went in and did work and then he rolled a 6 for battleshock so no more knights. After that it was a matter of clearing the hounds/raptoryx and when I double turned from 2 into 3 it was well and truly game over. He double turned from 3 into 4 which enabled him to retreat onto 2 objectives but I then tabled him bottom of 4. All up I only lost 5 warriors, a sorcerer and about 12 or so Marauders.

Idolator Lord put in work, killing the chaos lord and finishing off the manticore for 2 eye of the gods rolls! first roll gave me +1 save which came in handy when fighting the Manticore later. 2nd roll was the ignore spell on 4+ but game was over then anyway. My poor opponent only had 2 chances to perform the ritual for bonuses to cast and failed both. However in fairness and I failed my 2+ prayers from the shrine and lord 5 times throughout the game. 

Failing the ritual mattered little as the inherent problems with Cablaists were there to see; investing heavily in sorcerers leaves you weak in combat and slaves do not have enough damage dealing spells with decent range to magically dominate a game. 

I'm now 3-2 with my Idolators in this league which definitely exceeded my expectations. If it goes ahead the last game will be against Ogres including a unit of 12 x Gluttons. Think I will have to throw everything at that unit as if it goes down I'm in with a chance.

How unfortunate to hear that.  Maybe I'll focus on my Hedonites or Disciples if Cabalists really are such a let down

On 3/2/2021 at 12:39 AM, Salyx said:

If you want to play Cabalists, in my opinion the best way to Do this is to play a lot of 20 man Marauders that you can throw around with Mask of Darkness and Charge. 

As Endless Spells I would use the Demonrift and Spell Portal so that you have a greater range and an Endless spell already nearby. 

The Pendulum is never a bad choice. 

What might be a good Pick as well is an allied Kairos Fateweaver who can pull off nasty magic on his own. He can re-roll one roll and auto-dispel an endless spell to cast it again. That will put some Real pressure on your enemie's unbinding choices.

I agree that having undivided will not save your Sorcerers, you should rather go Nurgle for that - 1 to Hit, which is - 2 near a friendly unit. 

For Cabalists, it is better to not to invest much more into Sorcerers than you would usually do. 900 points of Magic is an investment that must pay for itself on the Board. That is already an Archaon, who should be your benchmark for points effectiveness if you want to See how good your magic does. 

The Chaos Lord in Manticor is quite ok. However, he is better in any other God specific army than in Slaves to Darkness. Your Layout sounds quite good and could be your go to if you want to play him. Nevertheless, he is still better in other armies. 

On 3/2/2021 at 1:31 AM, Agent of Chaos said:

@Salyx those all sound like really good tips for making Cabalists viable. Comparing 900 points of sorcerers to Archaon is a great way to put it into context.

I would also suggest a Balewind as another option for extending spell range.

On 3/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, BaronBanana said:

Magic hopefully

Unless you have access to direct damage spells on mass you can't really deliver damage to the opponent's army. If you think about the factions that do damage at range they have like 2-3 ranged MW spells doing at least D3, and shooting. 

Cultist is an alternative substructure to run a combat army, it is a more control build rather than a buff and fight styled force which is why say Archaon isn't ideal because his spell selection is pretty meh in S2D. Here is what I've kind of sketched out for a Cabalists build.

Chaos Lord
General - Mighty Ritualist
Artefact - Spelleater Pendant
Undivided

Theddra Skull-scryer
Mask of Darkness

Chaos Sorcerer Lord
Whispers of Darkness
Mark of Slaanesh

Be'lakor
Binding Damnation

10 Chaos Knights
Ensorcelled Weapons
Mark of Slaanesh

5 Chaos Knights
Lances
Slaanesh

5 Chaos Knights
Ensorcelled Weapons
Undivided

3x20 Chaos Marauders
Barbarian Axes
Undivided

18 Untamed Beasts

Godsworn Hunt

Its basically a combat army designed to turn off enemy units so you can hold them up with anything and push through where you need to with power pairs.

8 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

Unless you have access to direct damage spells on mass you can't really deliver damage to the opponent's army. If you think about the factions that do damage at range they have like 2-3 ranged MW spells doing at least D3, and shooting. 

Cultist is an alternative substructure to run a combat army, it is a more control build rather than a buff and fight styled force which is why say Archaon isn't ideal because his spell selection is pretty meh in S2D. Here is what I've kind of sketched out for a Cabalists build.

Chaos Lord
General - Mighty Ritualist
Artefact - Spelleater Pendant
Undivided

Theddra Skull-scryer
Mask of Darkness

Chaos Sorcerer Lord
Whispers of Darkness
Mark of Slaanesh

Be'lakor
Binding Damnation

10 Chaos Knights
Ensorcelled Weapons
Mark of Slaanesh

5 Chaos Knights
Lances
Slaanesh

5 Chaos Knights
Ensorcelled Weapons
Undivided

3x20 Chaos Marauders
Barbarian Axes
Undivided

18 Untamed Beasts

Godsworn Hunt

Its basically a combat army designed to turn off enemy units so you can hold them up with anything and push through where you need to with power pairs.

Any reason for Untamed beasts over Splintered Fang which come with more models per points?

38 minutes ago, BaronBanana said:

Any reason for Untamed beasts over Splintered Fang which come with more models per points?

They are to zone out the deployment zone and protect against alpha strikes, not sacrificing for bonuses to cast, marauders can be used as batteries and since they are undivided won't suffer from battleshock, you can also sacrifice the Godsworn hunt to start.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

They are to zone out the deployment zone and protect against alpha strikes, not sacrificing for bonuses to cast, marauders can be used as batteries and since they are undivided won't suffer from battleshock, you can also sacrifice the Godsworn hunt to start.

Nice, I didn't think about that, but I'm also super casual lol.  I'll look into the list you posted, I'm only like 10 models from building it anyways

So I did the thing I told myself I wouldn’t do like I did with 40k. I intended only to make a 1000 point list to start with but ended up with a Rokar Gresh Box and a Box of Varanguard as gifts plus some other things I ended up getting. 

Anyway, I’m thinking of putting all what I have in a useable 2000 point list but wanted to get opinions on best way to make use of what I have such as battalion and legion, etc. Here’s what I came up with (sorry did this format as I’m on phone doing this)

Ruinbringer Battalion (all Khorne)

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (Varanguard model with hammer)

5 Chaos Knights with ensorcelled

5 Chaos Knights with ensorcelled

Chaos Chariot with Greatblade

Outside Battalion (all Khorne except sorcerer)

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak 

Chaos Lord 

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (Tzeentch)

Bloodsecrator (Allies)*

15 Warriors with shields

20 Marauders with axes and shields

1990 points total and 135 wounds

*I could replace the bloodsecrator with another chaos sorcerer lord.

I opted to put the daemonic Mount in battalion as Karkadrak has built in MW already.

I guess the best would be ravagers since there’s 4 heroes to give the decent traits. Mark of the high favored on Karkadrak and maybe blasphemous cuirass on the foot lord.

Any thoughts on making the best out of this list? I don’t plan on purchasing anything else to control the pile so I know it could use a Warshrine  but that’ll be later. 

Thanks for any input.

Edited by Archion89