AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

I wondered if that might the case, giving you two rounds of combat before the opponent gets one can get rid of pesky problem characters/units.  One question about your example, how would two demon princes and the unit all get to attack first?  Only one prince can have the artifact, right?

1 minute ago, velocitydog said:

I wondered if that might the case, giving you two rounds of combat before the opponent gets one can get rid of pesky problem characters/units.  One question about your example, how would two demon princes and the unit all get to attack first?  Only one prince can have the artifact, right?

Daemon Prince has the ability built in. "Immortal Champion"

1 hour ago, velocitydog said:

Ah, if it was dedicated to Slannesh.

Sounds like someone is still using the old warscroll ;) Check the new one from either the aos app or the shop page of the DP. When using the Warscroll Builder, there were for a longer time two profiles around, the old for 160pts and the new for 210

1 hour ago, ccconner777 said:

Give them a nurgle warshrine buff and oracular visions from a sorceror and youve got marauders on a 4+ rerollable save with a 6+ aftersave. Not exactly dying to a stiff breeze. Since chaos warriors get reroll saves baseline they don't need the buff, and chaos sorc is one of the cheapest heroes that emit an aura and are good spellcasters aside, so its not unlikely that you'll have an oracular visions available to give those marauders, and the ability is just within, not wholly within, so it's easy to use. And every list ive made has a warshrine, so its not like that's a tax to make my marauders better either.

@ccconner777 that definitely helps marauders to survive although relies on the prayer going off.  They still only have 1 wound and any rend will make the save rerolls less effective.  Also Oracular Visions is wholly within 12". I wouldnt consider Chaos Sorcerers "good spellcasters". Outside cablists or Tzeentch Daemon Princes they dont get any bonuses to cast and our spells require a 7 with a 12" range. Your Sorcerer needs to be dangerously close to the enemy to be effective, apart from Mask of Darkness which is great but not reliable on a 7. And again, if you want a strong spell casting army, play them as Tzeentch. You can still take marauders/warriors etc, get bonuses/rerolls to cast and have way better allegiance abilities. 

• Like 1

One interesting thought for S2D wizards. If they're tzeentch marked then you can ally in the blue scribes to give them a very reliable reroll for their casting. The scribes can also learn their lore spells and cast them later, using the 2+ ability to almost guarantee they go off and can't be dispelled. Not bad for 120 points. I've been thinking about a Cabalists army with 3 wizards marked for tzeentch, the blue scribes, and a bunch of khorne or nurgle stuff to fill out the rest of the list. Seems like it has potential at least.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grimrock said:

One interesting thought for S2D wizards. If they're tzeentch marked then you can ally in the blue scribes to give them a very reliable reroll for their casting. The scribes can also learn their lore spells and cast them later, using the 2+ ability to almost guarantee they go off and can't be dispelled. Not bad for 120 points. I've been thinking about a Cabalists army with 3 wizards marked for tzeentch, the blue scribes, and a bunch of khorne or nurgle stuff to fill out the rest of the list. Seems like it has potential at least.

I'm not sure the scribes can learn the S2D lore spells, since they can only learn spells that are possible for them to cast. Needs an FAQ, because the clarification might just be for endless spells. The clarification probably shouldn't be there, or should be worded to specify what it actually means, because if a spell is impossible to cast it wouldn't matter if the model knows it or not (what the rule means by "possible to cast" is unclear).

7 minutes ago, Asamu said:

I'm not sure the scribes can learn the S2D lore spells, since they can only learn spells that are possible for them to cast. Needs an FAQ, because the clarification might just be for endless spells. The clarification probably shouldn't be there, or should be worded to specify what it actually means, because if a spell is impossible to cast it wouldn't matter if the model knows it or not (what the rule means by "possible to cast" is unclear).

I think it's just there to pre-empt the inevitable questions about endless spells or other weird interactions, but I agree. Either faq or designer commentary would be nice to clear that up.

Grimrock, that's disgusting. Adding Nurgle units to your fine Tzeentch-marked list. How can you stoop so low without feeling tremendous amounts of guilt?

UNLESS they're expendable pawns, destined to be slaughtered. Then i shall congratulate you for your perfidious plan! 

• Haha 4

Charleston, you are correct good sir!  Thanks for getting me properly oriented.  I do have a question about sorcerers.  It's a  bit of an existential dilemma being a Khorne player but some of their spells are pretty good and having a way to unbind spells never hurts.  According to what I saw in an older post, they although sorcerers can't have the Khorne keyword but can be included in the list with another mark (say undivided), correct?  However, IIRC all units in an army have to have the same faction in order to benefit from faction abilities.  

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asamu said:

It’s pretty safe to assume(as in go ahead and run it if you have the model but don’t buy it until there is a clarification) that warscroll spells are kosher because warscrolls only say the wizards “know x, y, z spells” and don’t state anything about them being possible to cast.

@Grimrock I think thats a pretty cool idea with the scribes. Would help wizards get important spells off even outside a cabalist legion. I see no reason why they couldnt learn lore spells once they are successfully cast within 18". I think the "is possible for this model to cast" wording refers to certain spells that have criteria that might prevent them from casting it, such as the Maniak Weirdnob's spell which is cast on a friendly bonesplitterz unit. No Bonesplitters unit will be friendly to the blue scribes (outside of a narrative game/mixed army shenanigans) and so technically the spell is not possible for them to cast. 

• Like 1

Hey all, delving into Slaves and looking for some feedback/thoughts on a list i've built. I'm a big fan of running some chariots (love their models), keen on a darkoath kinda theme but I am also looking to make this a bit competitive as well, so any input from that perspective is greatly appreciated.

List is:

Legion: Ravagers (Non Daemon Hero Heros can take those Command traits)

Command ability: Summon end of movement phase

Chaos Lord on Demonic mount (dude from the new Start Collecting Box) (250 pts)
    - General
    - Cmd trait: External Vendetta
    - Mark/Aura of Korn

Chaos Lord (Normal) (110 pts)
    - Cmd trait: Favoured of the Pantheon
    - Mark of Korn (for now)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110 pts)
    - Cmd trait: Master of Deception
    - Spell: Whispers of Chaos
    - Mark of Tzeentch

Darkoath Warqueen (90 pts)
    - Cmd trait: Unquestioned resolve

Darkoath Chieftain (90 pts)
    - Cmd Trait: Bolstered by Hate

x1 unit of 10 Chaos Knights (360pts)
    - Mark of Korn

Chaos Chariot (120 pts)
    - Havent chosen Mark yet

Chaos Chariot (120 pts)
    - Havent chosen Mark yet

x 1 unit of 20 Chaos Marauders (150 pts)
    - Mark of Tzeentch (to be followed by sorcerer)

x 1 unit of 20 Chaos Marauders (150 pts)
    - Mark of Korn

Gorebeast Chariot (150 pts)
    - Mark of Korn

Mindstealer Sphiranx (100 pts)

Battallion: Ruinbringer Warband (140pts)

Endless Spell - Darkfire Daemonrift
    - Not 100% sold and taking this, is mostly to fill the list out

Mostly my thoughts are that the darkoath cheif/queen follow the marauders to buff them, and the sorcerer follows a single unit of maruaders to buff them unless i took both marauder units w the mark of tzeentch which makes a bit more sense typing it out however also thought of taking undivided for them to save on battleshock really?

Lord on daemonic mount follows the knights buffing them and the chariots dart across the board to use his command ability, spesh with the extra one w the battalion, kinda situational I guess. Can also pop his other command ability to summon extra peeps (which is very very handy).

Chaos Lord of foot to buff a marauder squad to fight again if need be w command ability.

There's a whole other bunch of synergies and cool stuff I found but I cant remember it all atm without the book in front of me.

apologies if this kind of list has already been posted, havent had a chance to look through older posts but any and all feedback is welcome!

Detective on the case: This was posted in the DoK thread. Not sure if it was the same Event but there is a 4-1 dok Player who lost in last round. So i guess the winning list played nurgle dp abuse.

Just came 3rd in a 30 man event this weekend. Lost on table 1 round 5 to a slaves to darkness army that focused on disallowing me to do things using kairos, be'lakor, and a spell that prevents you from moving. Then he just stacked the nurgle daemon prince command ability a few times per turn on one of his 3 units of marauders (who thought that ability should stack?), teleported to whatever unit of mine he wanted to die, nearly autocharged (the only way to fail a 9 inch charge is to roll snake eyes. Again makes me ask who thought of this) and made my unit slap itself to death. Still, game was maybe the closest game I've ever had and I was a single chaos warrior away from winning the event. Other armies I played were a trogg based gloomspite force, beastclaw, berserker swarm and gotrek fyreslayers, and summoning seraphon. But fair warning to everyone out there- until that command ability is faq'd watch out for it! It's absolutely brutal. hallelujah, its been fixed!

Also, please dont take this as whining. I had a great time and he was a good opponent. Just wanted to share this (unfortunate) discovery I've made. 

edit: jubilation for a slightly too late FAQ

Edited Monday at 04:36 PM by Graywate

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Reisyo said:

Detective on the case: This was posted in the DoK thread. Not sure if it was the same Event but there is a 4-1 dok Player who lost in last round. So i guess the winning list played nurgle dp abuse.

Just came 3rd in a 30 man event this weekend. Lost on table 1 round 5 to a slaves to darkness army that focused on disallowing me to do things using kairos, be'lakor, and a spell that prevents you from moving. Then he just stacked the nurgle daemon prince command ability a few times per turn on one of his 3 units of marauders (who thought that ability should stack?), teleported to whatever unit of mine he wanted to die, nearly autocharged (the only way to fail a 9 inch charge is to roll snake eyes. Again makes me ask who thought of this) and made my unit slap itself to death. Still, game was maybe the closest game I've ever had and I was a single chaos warrior away from winning the event. Other armies I played were a trogg based gloomspite force, beastclaw, berserker swarm and gotrek fyreslayers, and summoning seraphon. But fair warning to everyone out there- until that command ability is faq'd watch out for it! It's absolutely brutal. hallelujah, its been fixed!

Also, please dont take this as whining. I had a great time and he was a good opponent. Just wanted to share this (unfortunate) discovery I've made. 

edit: jubilation for a slightly too late FAQ

Edited Monday at 04:36 PM by Graywate

woah thanks!, 

well thats a shame,

that list is already useless

13 hours ago, velocitydog said:

Charleston, you are correct good sir!  Thanks for getting me properly oriented.  I do have a question about sorcerers.  It's a  bit of an existential dilemma being a Khorne player but some of their spells are pretty good and having a way to unbind spells never hurts.  According to what I saw in an older post, they although sorcerers can't have the Khorne keyword but can be included in the list with another mark (say undivided), correct?  However, IIRC all units in an army have to have the same faction in order to benefit from faction abilities.  

Thanks in advance for the help!

We are here to help each other ;)

Regarding Sorcerers and Khorne:
In general, althrough the Lore says that Khorne has little left for Sorcerers, there is not much that says you can´t utilise them. The Rules depict this in two ways: Khorne Alligience doesn´t have any Sorcerers and Wizzards on their own, which makes sense, as the Khorne Alligience can be also described as Khorne hardliners. Also, Khorne himself would never grant a Sorcerer his blessing, thus, as you noted, Sorcerer Lords cannot obtain the Khorne Keyword and therefore can´t be affected by the Aura of Khorne.

There are currently two options how to use Wizzards nontheless with Khorne Units:

• Slaves to Darkness Alligience:
    • Using Wizzards in a mostly Khorne Marked StD Army is fine and not even really something unfluffy. Wizzards are usefull and even a Lord of Chaos who praises and draws power from Khorne will use the service of a Wizzard if it serves his purpose. Meanwhile a Wizzard won´t deny his powers to a Lord that praises Khorne. Maybe it is a chance to show them the Glory of another godly patron in an attempt to convert them. Maybe he draw power on his own from this, or the Wizzard may play the long term game.
    • Rulewise there is nothing to be mentioned beside the fact from above that Wizzards cannot take a mark of khorne. As StD can be built in any mixup of marks that you want, feel free to run all khorne marked units and f.e. two sorcerer lords. All you need for the Alligience is the "Slaves to Darkness" Keyword ;)
  • Khorne:
    • Well, as already said, Khorne Alligience is Khorne Hardliners in their filterbubble. They hate Wizzards and in general everyone who isn´t one of them. Yet, even here, it may be that a Wizzard is enslaved and forced to fight for the Blades of Khorne before becoming a Sacrifice on the Battlefield. Or a cruel Khorne Lord may send the Sorcerer without his Staff into battle, beeing forced to fight for his survival Khorne Style. The Sorcerer would use magic nevertheless.
    • Rulewise, you can Ally any Slaves to Darkness that are not Marked Slaaneshi. This includes Sorcerers as well. Keep in mind that Hexgorger Skulls, Bloodsecrators and the Skull Altar Terrain affect all Wizzards, so you will harm your own Sorcerers.
  • Like 1

That makes a lot of sense, both rule wise and from what I understood about the two Khorne factions.  I agree that a S2D Khorne army could and would have sorcerers, but ones whose altar is a pile of skulls on the battlefield (probably while the battle is still raging...nothing like fresh skulls to keep the magic going!).  There is a great description of a Khorne war priest in the novel Blood for the Blood God by C. L. Werner.  Pretty good read, too.

So no matter if you play Khorne or Nurgle or Tzeentch, help me understand why you wouldn't jam 80 marauders in any list you make with a chaos sorcerer lord? I don't think any of the battleline from the other factions are nearly as good as just marauders.

Someone tell me why you wouldn't do this?