Got a test game in yesterday with the following list

Archaon

3 Varanguard - Fellspears

3 Varanguard - Enscorccled weapons

10 Warriors

20 Marauders

18 Untamed beasts

Sorcerer lord

Took mark of Nurgle on everything and got merrily smashed by Ogors. Takeaways from the game though: 

Fesllpear Varanguard do some work, that said they really want to have some sort of buff, the archaon reroll meant they annihilated a stonetusk thing but they then piled into a second unit without the re-rolls and were considerably less impressive. Pushing through damage 4 hits with the nurgle mark is tasty.  They really dont like mortal wounds though, its a shame the shields aren't a mw shrug.

So much of the power of Varanguard is locked into them charging that a decent screen really felt mandatory,  the untamed beasts are an auto take in my opinion. I might split them into two units in future as I think they would be better at screening/scoring but going up to 8 drops is a downside.

The sorcerer lord flubbed his rolls and snake eyed every casting roll, whispers of chaos from Archaon then failed to give any 6s.  Which as annoying as it was did highlight how good the no risk oracular vision buff is. I couldn't decide between the sorcer or a chaos lord but I think keeping any of the hammer units in range of the lord's command ability will hamper the list.

I got over excited about the prospect of putting an ethereal stone horn into the slayer of kings, that didn't end well for Archaon. When attacking something without his re-roll he still wasn't as consistent as I would have liked. 

The warriors are the units most likely to change in future. The warriors hit like a wet flannel and whilst they are tough a brick of Iron golems would have save rerolls for longer whilst working out a whopping 60 points cheaper for an equivalent number of wounds.  I'm loathe to drop them as I like the aesthetic mix, Knights might be an alternative though, fewer wounds but with a clearer purpose as objective grabbers.

I'm not 100 percent convinced by the marauders, as a screen iron golems would probably be better again, that said the threat of a 20 man unit who is almost guaranteed a charge after being teleported  exerts some real board presence and gives your opponent something to keep in mind. 

Overall i'm happy with the list but am still torn on the mark to use, Khorne would give some consistency that felt a bit lacking whereas the Nurgle mark is likely to feel a bit subpar until you run into a shooting heavy army. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@Predien

Cheers mate. You can take a sorcerer Lord as one of the 4 units in the battalion so pretty sure it's legit.

I probably didn't gain much from the battalion other than the CP and extra artifact but I really wanted both of those. Having said that another combat hero would have been nice, especially in that battleplan.

I took Despoilers to a doubles tournament a couple of weeks ago.  The DP and Belakor were the MVP's but I think StD is a hard army at the lower point levels.  Faced a lot of shooty lists and people that rolled REAL hot when they shot at my marauders and chaos warriors.

I don't have the book in front of me so I don't have the exact wording but the Godsworn batallion is the one building around.  I'm running  it with the mounted chaos lord on lizard + a chaos lord on foot so that he can potentially attack 3 times.  I copied this from the batallion description from 1d4, "1 hero selected from Chaos Lord (any kind), Sorcerer Lord (either kind), Exalted Hero of Chaos, Ogroid Myrmidon, Daemon Prince, Darkoath Warqueen, and Darkoath Chieftain; 4-8 units selected from Chosen, Knights, Warriors, Marauders, and Marauder Horsemen."  When you play at 1500 you could easily get that batallion by getting another unit of marauders or warriors.

41 minutes ago, Neon Mentor said:

The Goonhammer gang have just released a thoroughly beefy review/analysis of the new Battletome, not a single unit was spared the Eyes of the Gods Goons.
https://www.goonhammer.com/slaves-to-darkness-battletome-analysis/

Why do alot of people asume that Archaon's "All-seeing Dominion" is free? It is a command ability, thus costs a command point.

12 minutes ago, Drib said:

Why do alot of people asume that Archaon's "All-seeing Dominion" is free? It is a command ability, thus costs a command point.

All Seeing Dominion is a little weirdly worded, so some confusion is to be expected. We've amended the article now, thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 3:16 AM, Predien said:

I copied this from the batallion description from 1d4, "1 hero selected from Chaos Lord (any kind), Sorcerer Lord (either kind), Exalted Hero of Chaos, Ogroid Myrmidon, Daemon Prince, Darkoath Warqueen, and Darkoath Chieftain; 4-8 units selected from Chosen, Knights, Warriors, Marauders, and Marauder Horsemen."  When you play at 1500 you could easily get that batallion by getting another unit of marauders or warriors.

Warscroll on the App confirms sorcerer lord can be one of the 4-8 units but in the book it's not.... my App is updated so not sure what's happening there.

Agrees it's a struggle at low points. Most of our units feel overcosted.

Edited by Agent of Chaos

On 1/10/2020 at 11:04 AM, whiskeytango said:

guys, i'm having a hell of a time coming up with a 1000pt list for StD. Can you help me out here? 

Assume i have access to anything, and am open to any composition.

Ya, I thought I had a bit of a list around the SC Box but the following list is 1010 points...

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak

Chaos Sorcerer Lord

5 Chaos Knights

15 Chaos Warriors

Chaos Warshrine

New to the forum and am mainly a Tzeentch player, but finally got a 2k point game in with the Slaves I picked up on release. Just wanted to try it out since it sounded fun. 

Despoilers
Daemon Prince
-Armour of Tormented Souls
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak 
-Helm of Many Eyes
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak
Chaos Sorcerer Lord 
-Whispers of Chaos

Chaos Warriors x 15
Chaos Warriors x5
Chaos Knights x5
Chaos Knights x5

Chaos Warshrine
Eightfold Doom-Sigil 

Godsworn Champions of Ruin battalion

Think that was the whole thing. Played into Slaanesh with 90 daemonettes, Syll'Esske, The Masque, an Enrapturess, a bunch of Seekers, I think a Viceleader, and some Fiends. Was fun running kind of a lower model count, elite army into such a swarm, got to pick up lots of models. Was curious how tanky an army like this would be; I'm running Tzeentch marked, which I think is the weakest mark for the most part but... I'm a Tzeentch follower through and through, and the rerolling 1s on saves in the places I didn't get full rerolls was nice. The chance to ignore spells actually came up a lot but I failed the roll every single time which was a little unfortunate. The Chaos Lords on Karkadrak are so beastly; they didn't always have amazing turns output wise, although whenever the Sorcerer Lord was able to give one rerolls on hit and wound it was pretty vicious, but man do they just survive and get work done. The one with the Helm that was also leading the battalion killed The Masque and a Contorted Epitome that he summoned, so I got to roll on Eye of the Gods twice which was really fun. He got +1 to attack to his sword and summoned a unit of pink horrors.... wish he'd done that today now that Horrors are actually really effective even outside disciples 😜

Doom-Sigil was alright, it consistently gave basically every unit I had the additional attacks and the buffer during my opponents turn was nice but didn't feel amazing exactly. Kept kind of wishing it was something else, but this was just my random thoughts after one game. Ended up losing due to a very small positioning error that kind of set all my movements back 1 turn, and the Gifts from the Heavens or whatever it's called scenario was not kind to me with its objective locations. 

I really like the Daemon Prince but his effectiveness when I've used him seems to swing really wildly from game to game. I've had him just rip apart everything that comes near him in some games ,or do basically nothing. In this one he charged into Syll'Esske, did like 5 wounds really quickly, then spent like two more full rounds just wildly flailing and doing absolutely nothing haha. 

Just my random thoughts from the game I played, I'm really hyped on both my factions right now and don't have many people to talk to. Huzzah for the internet. I had a super good time with it, I love my Disciples but it was kind of nice to just play a really resilient, hard hitting melee army rather than my usual wacky spell-based shenanigans. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Atelus said:

New to the forum and am mainly a Tzeentch player, but finally got a 2k point game in with the Slaves I picked up on release. Just wanted to try it out since it sounded fun. 

Despoilers
Daemon Prince
-Armour of Tormented Souls
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak 
-Helm of Many Eyes
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak
Chaos Sorcerer Lord 
-Whispers of Chaos

Chaos Warriors x 15
Chaos Warriors x5
Chaos Knights x5
Chaos Knights x5

Chaos Warshrine
Eightfold Doom-Sigil 

Godsworn Champions of Ruin battalion

Think that was the whole thing. Played into Slaanesh with 90 daemonettes, Syll'Esske, The Masque, an Enrapturess, a bunch of Seekers, I think a Viceleader, and some Fiends. Was fun running kind of a lower model count, elite army into such a swarm, got to pick up lots of models. Was curious how tanky an army like this would be; I'm running Tzeentch marked, which I think is the weakest mark for the most part but... I'm a Tzeentch follower through and through, and the rerolling 1s on saves in the places I didn't get full rerolls was nice. The chance to ignore spells actually came up a lot but I failed the roll every single time which was a little unfortunate. The Chaos Lords on Karkadrak are so beastly; they didn't always have amazing turns output wise, although whenever the Sorcerer Lord was able to give one rerolls on hit and wound it was pretty vicious, but man do they just survive and get work done. The one with the Helm that was also leading the battalion killed The Masque and a Contorted Epitome that he summoned, so I got to roll on Eye of the Gods twice which was really fun. He got +1 to attack to his sword and summoned a unit of pink horrors.... wish he'd done that today now that Horrors are actually really effective even outside disciples 😜

Doom-Sigil was alright, it consistently gave basically every unit I had the additional attacks and the buffer during my opponents turn was nice but didn't feel amazing exactly. Kept kind of wishing it was something else, but this was just my random thoughts after one game. Ended up losing due to a very small positioning error that kind of set all my movements back 1 turn, and the Gifts from the Heavens or whatever it's called scenario was not kind to me with its objective locations. 

I really like the Daemon Prince but his effectiveness when I've used him seems to swing really wildly from game to game. I've had him just rip apart everything that comes near him in some games ,or do basically nothing. In this one he charged into Syll'Esske, did like 5 wounds really quickly, then spent like two more full rounds just wildly flailing and doing absolutely nothing haha. 

Just my random thoughts from the game I played, I'm really hyped on both my factions right now and don't have many people to talk to. Huzzah for the internet. I had a super good time with it, I love my Disciples but it was kind of nice to just play a really resilient, hard hitting melee army rather than my usual wacky spell-based shenanigans. 

Cool thanks for the write-up.  There is a lot of negative chatter about the Warriors going around.  Can you comment on their effectiveness (and on the Knights as well).  I'm basically got the SC Box and am getting started.  Happy to hear the Lord on Karkadrak is working out.

2 minutes ago, begleysm said:

Cool thanks for the write-up.  There is a lot of negative chatter about the Warriors going around.  Can you comment on their effectiveness (and on the Knights as well).  I'm basically got the SC Box and am getting started.  Happy to hear the Lord on Karkadrak is working out.

It might be my coming from Tzeentch but a 2 wound unit with a 4+ save that rerolls all their saves (admittedly with the 10+ model condition) sounds like an absolute godsend to me haha. They're basically here to stand in the way and be annoying to kill, and they did that job really admirably; even the random unit of 5, whose only purpose is to fulfill my requirements for the battalion, lived through far more than I thought they should. The Aspiring Champion from the unit was kind of randomly rolling around with 1 wound left poking wounds into things even in the last round haha. 

I do kind of feel like I only ever want them in groups of 15, since it makes it take some real effort to remove their rerolls on saves, and at 300 points that isn't a cheap package exactly, but I mean... one unit facetanked 30 daemonettes and only lost a couple models 3+/3+ profile on their weapons feels very reasonable. My only real direct comparison, though, is Tzaangors, but they fill a pretty different role I think, as Tzaangors tend to die much more quickly but especially with a Shaman around they just blend through everything they get close to. I guess in the end, with only one real game to kind of base my opinion on them from, is I brought them in a list to screen, be hard to kill, and do a bit of damage, and that's pretty much exactly what they did so... A+ so far? haha. I've already started putting them into Disciples lists with the new rules; Pink Horrors are obviously quite a tarpit now but I like the feel of Chaos Warriors just solid presence wherever they are. Only real complaint I've had so far, and this is with two games (I did a 1400 point one a couple weeks ago as well) is they are sloooow. I think I'm going to default to taking Mask of Darkness on whatever Wizard I have available when using them just so they can get into a relevant position early instead of having to trudge there awkwardly. That said, since I'm using the new kit I don't have a Hornblower in there and it's possible that would help a little, I may find some bits for one or sculpt one or something just to maintain WYSIWYG on the unit and get that slight speed benefit. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, begleysm said:

Sorry for double post but forgot to mention Knights. I really like Knights, but the positioning failure that basically cost me the game was putting one unit too close behind the other and letting them both get caught in melee at once; typically I have one unit out front that gets Oracular Visions from the Sorcerer Lord, and with that they've typically been able to survive quite a bit of punishment, and the idea is to have one that can hopefully get an early charge or at worst get charged first, have that unit retreat then have the unit in back charge in, and just sort of repeat that. When they DO get the charge, especially if you have the Chaos Lord put his command ability on them, man do they just make stuff disappear. When I eventually got 4 lances to charge into the Seekers, which had been really obnoxious for multiple turns, they basically deleted the unit instantly and I no longer had to worry about that again lol. 

• Like 1

I really like playing the StD as Tzeench lately.

My little super hero is the Exalted Hero with the sword of Judgement. His -1 to hit against heroes let's it go off on 5+.

Using the tzeench dice to give him 6 attacks reliable and charging let him attack twice which turns into 4x with a the Chaos Lord command ability plus he rerolls EVERY hit not just 1's with a wizard.

Dishing out 35 to 50 mortal wounds per fight against Heroes or Monsters is super fun......... at least for me.

The opponents didn't enjoy it much and they told me.

But what can you do, we are still chaos

Edited by Kurrilino
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

I really like playing the StD as Tzeench lately.

My little super hero is the Exalted Hero with the sword of Judgement. His -1 to hit against heroes let's it go off on 5+.

Using the tzeench dice to give him 6 attacks reliable and charging let him attack twice which turns into 4x with a the Chaos Lord command ability plus he rerolls EVERY hit not just 1's with a wizard.

Dishing out 35 to 50 mortal wounds per fight against Heroes or Monsters is super fun......... at least for me.

The opponents didn't enjoy it much and they told me.

But what can you do, we are still chaos

I got good results out of the Burning Icon in my regular(non-slaves) Tzeentch list today and the Tome of Eyes should probably be an autoinclude if a you can take it.

On 1/10/2020 at 5:36 PM, Neon Mentor said:

The Goonhammer gang have just released a thoroughly beefy review/analysis of the new Battletome, not a single unit was spared the Eyes of the Gods Goons.
https://www.goonhammer.com/slaves-to-darkness-battletome-analysis/

My only issue with the review is the lack of actual „closing thoughts“.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:59 PM, Rors said:

To me I just count the dude holding the head as a banner and the skull helmet as a horn. Any opponent who goes rules lawyering over free additional stuff a unit gets isn't going to be a fun oppent anyway so no loss. 

I remember once, a while back, some dude told me I didn't have a musician in my unit of marauders...... casual game mind you. I simply pointed out that one of my dudes had a harmonica in his pocket.😀

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Brassclaw said:

Regarding to the Rally the Tribes command ability for the Ravagers, What are the best units to summon? My gut says Marauder Horsemen for quick objective grabbing or Iron Golems for back field control. 

Anyone know of any other ideas?

I think your gut is right except that in many cases marauders will actually be better for objective grabbing than horsemen. If an objective is within 15 inches of the board edge and held by a small, weak backline unit you can summon in marauders with a 90+% chance of making the 9" charge and possibly capturing the objective that turn instead of having to wait til the next turn to move and snag an objective. Additionally they can be used just to summon in and harrass undefended backline units or lock up shooters so they cant target your good stuff. Finally its worth noting that the rule lets you summon ten models from a warcry warband, so iron golems are great cause of their higher wounds and defense, however you would need to buy two units worth of the models in order to actually bring 10 of them on since the box just has 8 models, or make a couple proxies.

Edited by ccconner777

1 hour ago, Hamartia said:

Im assuming most people havent experimented much with chaos warrior loadouts yet? Or is standard hand weapon and shield just superior even for units of 15+ warriors?

I would go with 10 dual weapons and the remaining models with halberd and shield so you get the 5+ mortal wound save and can get in most or all of the attacks even at full size units. In 5 or 10 man units all dual weapons except for 2 with hand weapon and shield (depending on your interpretation the rule requires 1 or 2 of your warriors to have shields to get the 5+ mortal wound save so id do 2 to be safe). If you plan on giving the unit a buff that would include rerolling hits like the sorc lord spell then switch out dual weapons for greatblades for the rend since the dual weapon rerolls would be redundant. But i suspect the faq might change the shield rule so that you only get the mortal wound save when allocating to a model with a shield which would change everything (you wouldnt be able to just put 2 shields in the unit and just keep them alive until the end to keep the save).

Hi guys,

Yesterday I managed to take third place in a 32 people tournament, with this list:

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness

Damned Legion: Despoilers

LEADERS
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Command Trait : Radiance of Dark Glory
- Sword
- Artefact : Doombringer Blade
- Mark of Chaos : Khorne

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- Axe

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos : Nurgle
- Spell : Mask of Darkness

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Spell : Call to Glory

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- Spell : Binding Damnation

UNITS

20 x Chaos Warriors (400)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

10 x Chaos Warriors (200)
- Greatblade

5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Cursed Lance

6 x Furies (100)

BEHEMOTHS

Chaos Warshrine (170)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

Eightfold Doom-Sigil (40)

So, not a perfect list, but you guys all underestimate the warriors of chaos. They where nearly impossible to kill due the rerolling saves and the ocasional +1 save from the warshrine.

The list have errors, I should have put the nurgle mark on my second Daemon Prince, or not take a second DP at all. The 10 warriors with great weapons underperformed too, and the Eightfold Doom-Sigil only was useful in the last match.

However, the khorne command ability of the DP is utterly broken. The MVP of the game by far. Also, it was a good call to include the 6 furies. Having a fastmoving and flying unit, with the possibility to retire from combat has been pretty useful (the last match was the relocation orb, and I won that because of my furies chasing the objective while the rest of both armies were fighting at the center.

I'm not a pro player, but I thing STD is an army where having your units in good position matters a lot. Also, if you go heavy warriors, you can resist a lot (they receive a full squig rider charge, manglers included, and not only survived, but managed to lose only three models)

I dunno, I like this guys

Also, I recommend taking three wizards really, the STD spells are almost all good (although I won't take the Call to Glory anymore). Mask of Darkness can win games.

Cheers!

Edited by drcrater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Tasman said:

I remember once, a while back, some dude told me I didn't have a musician in my unit of marauders...... casual game mind you. I simply pointed out that one of my dudes had a harmonica in his pocket.😀

You model equipment for wound allocation, it's very unlikely that the last 3 models in a unit will be command given things like coherency and snipe spells. 

Glue a horn on the back of your model.

• Like 1