AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

Correct, but, taking that aside, as a unit that's cheap and effective and quick, they seem very solid for a hunter seeker unit while you buff other aspects of your army. I'm just saying, you'll rarely get all the marauders in to contact, buffs or not,  while six chickens seems pretty reasonable, if nothing other than to charge things tied down by anvil units. 

• Like 1

Played my first games today with the new book (local RTT 3 games), and it had its ups and downs...ended up 8th out of 13th, buuuut should have won my game 2 and didn’t due to time.  All in all, the book is AWESOME FUN!! 

I ran HoE: 6th circle, Archy (Nurgle) 1 Unit Nurgle Varanguard, Sorc on Manticore, Chaos Lord of Slaanesh, 2x5 Warriors, Eightfold Sigil, Extra Command point, Iron Golems, Warshrine

game 1 Three Places of Power vs Nurgle: oddly enough, got paired against my brother in law >.<  he ran new marauders, glottkin, plaguebearers, 2x3 drones, harbingers, tallyband.  His list was mostly fluffy...and I got up to the objectives turn 1 with Archaon and Manticore, held them for 3 turns and kept his heroes away.  He made a TON of FNP saves...so the game lasted longer than it should have :) he conceded at end of turn 3 due to not having scored any objective points.

round 2 vs Skaven - Shifting Objectives:

opponent had 200 clan rats, Bell, one of the big vermin lords, and 2 types or something of grey seers, geminids, palisades, suffocating graveside.  I gave him first turn, he moved up all his rats and scored all 3 objectives.  I rolled a 3 on Prophecy :( but still managed to roll over almost 70 clanrats.  He went first turn 2 and got off the bells -1 hit, gemenids, and another spell that gave his unit -1 to hit. He got the 2 side objectives, but one was the primary so he went up in points.  My turn 2, the minuses to hit really hurt, but I kept hitting 6s to wound and Archy attacked twice from Chaos Lord...again, almost 70ish rats died.  

Worst part of this game, turn 3 I get priority, but we only have 10 mins left for time (got slow played) :( I wipe his last unit of rats and am holding all 3 objectives.  He finally moves his verminlord up to middle objective and wipes the 5 man warriors, but Archaon is close enough to keep the objective.  He has just verminlord, Bell, and both smaller heroes...and I have Warshrine, Archaon, Varanguard, 5 Warriors left, all at full HP and turn priority from Prophecy.  Had we had 10 more mins to play turns 4 & 5, I would have won. But such is life! Sooooooo much offensive power against the rats! 

Game 3 vs Fyreslayers...can’t remember mission, but the 8 objectives, burn on turn 2, and short board length.  Never played against Fyreslayers, had no clue that Hearthguard could jump priority and attack TWICE before you get a go...needless to say, I charged Archaon, Varanguard and Chaos Lord into 20 zerkers and after 3 turns of 5 combats, 7 zerkers and his giant axe leader stood over the above and then proceeded to eat the Warshrine and Iron Golems...he rolled sooooo many FNP rolls, but apparently that’s what they do :) fun match with a great opponent.  

Had a great day with the new book, and feel that I had the opportunity to go 3-0 if not for round 2.  Such is life, but i won best painted!!!  So had a great day!  Now to finalize the paint jobs on Warshrine and Varanguard before LVO :)

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, frostfire said:

But the warscrolls have the higher priority than the core rules right?

If I can't get 1+ to wound and what's the point of having it on the warscrolls?

It means that even if someone comes around (ex. Frostheart Phoenix) with a -1 to wound effect, you are still wounding on a 2+

• Like 3

My spikey lads are ready for painting. Happily surprised by how many heads there are on the sprue too, for some reason I thought there were only 17, but now with 10 spare heads (and the heads fitting with the old models and keeping them in pretty much the same scale apparently) I don't feel so bad about getting one of the Warrior boxes. One more SC! box and I can have two units of 20 Warriors, all with different heads. 

IMG_20191222_162656.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:

My spikey lads are ready for painting. Happily surprised by how many heads there are on the sprue too, for some reason I thought there were only 17, but now with 10 spare heads (and the heads fitting with the old models and keeping them in pretty much the same scale apparently) I don't feel so bad about getting one of the Warrior boxes. One more SC! box and I can have two units of 20 Warriors, all with different heads. 

IMG_20191222_162656.jpg

You were brave to fully assemble all models. Just for painting  ease I didn’t assemble knights cloaks and shields, Chaos lord I didn’t mount to Karkadrak and 4 warriors shield i didn’t put on.

4 minutes ago, JangutzKhan said:

You were brave to fully assemble all models. Just for painting  ease I didn’t assemble knights cloaks and shields, Chaos lord I didn’t mount to Karkadrak and 4 warriors shield i didn’t put on.

Brave, or foolish? 😅 I can at least say that Mr. Lord is not properly attached to his angry lizard. 

I'm thinking Gorebeast Chariots might have a good role within the Ruinbringer Warband.  I like that we can fit all our battlelines in there (if we have enough Knights and regular chariots), but also I think that would make the Gorebeasts roll 2D3 mortals for each unit within 1" after charging.  That's pretty good damage before combat begins I'd say.  

Seems like single chariots are always the way to go isn't it?  To max out that charging damage?  I guess they won't do much by themselves in actual melee, but let's say you have 3 or 4 separate ones vs one unit, maybe they smash into a horde unit, do their mortals, then the big horde has to either focus on one or two, maybe killing one or two, but then after the others get to strike anyways.  A big monster would probably spoil such a use but given my lack of wanting to paint tons of more minis, seems reasonably viable?  Never used chariots before of any sort, unless the Skullcrackers of Azgorh count.  Those are way better than like any other chariot, EVER

The other benefit to Singleton units of chariots is now every chariot is a unit champion and gets slightly better stats.

I can't see much cause to ever run chariots as more the 1 in a unit, especially in ruinbringers. I guess if you want a 1 drop army and have some spare points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ccconner777 said:

Hey anyone considered the forgeworld demon brutes for demon princes? They look awesome and 3 for $115 is actually ok value if you were using them as demon princes. Of course they are missing wings and are on 50mm bases, so they might be a little smaller than youd want?

To be fair Belakor and older daemon princes are on the smaller side as well.

I think as long as the base is suitably decorated (so it looks more than a daemon ogor) it should be fine.

5 hours ago, ccconner777 said:

Hey anyone considered the forgeworld demon brutes for demon princes? They look awesome and 3 for $115 is actually ok value if you were using them as demon princes. Of course they are missing wings and are on 50mm bases, so they might be a little smaller than youd want?

99560102300_HHRuinstormDaemonBrutes01.webp 83.19 kB · 12 downloads

I'm thinking putting them on a scenic base to raise their height and giving them crypt horror wings may just do the job

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

I was kidding 😉 . I'm looking forward to seeing your bases... What are you thinking about to push the height?

I've gone for a fairly retro meadow thing, trying to make it look like the army is on a day out rather than chilling at home in the chaos wastes. Not sure it quite works yet though.