AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

2 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Thats the beauty of Belakor though; drop it on their best unit at the bottom of a turn and it carries over into the double turn, hence Im not worried about drops or who goes first. 

Be’lakor is our MVP indeed, too bad he doesn’t love Daddy Nurgle

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2020 at 5:11 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

Does anyone know if Pitch Black terrain and/or the Prismatic Palisade blocks line of sight to flying units?

It certainly does.

The wording is draw a line (from center base to center base of the enemy) or (closest part to closest part). If it crosses that terrain, no visibility and attack.

Doesn't matter how high in the air you are, since the keyword is "crossing"

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

It certainly does.

The wording is draw a line (from center base to center base of the enemy) or (closest part to closest part). If it crosses that terrain, no visibility and attack.

Doesn't matter how high in the air you are, since the keyword is "crossing"

Cheers! How does that differ from overgrown terrain? I went looking in the core rules but couldnt find where it talks about flying units not being subject to line of sight blocking terrain. 

Any advice against OBR using slaves? I have a rematch coming up. First game was a disaster ran plague touched  battalion which I thought would give me significant mortals, 

I feel like I can't do any damage, if anything goes through then the harvesters bring them back or 6 wounds are healed next turn. Daemon Prince flying over isn't killing a harvester even teaming up with belakor so I have to go head on with units and try to out damage it. No access to ranged plus magic is not happening against a +2 wizard.

Ran a pretty standard despoilers list with belakor, dp, sorc on manticore, cl, marauders, chosen warriors & shrine.

Sorc on manticore has been useless every game I guess that can go.

I thought about deploying a sorc with 40 marauders outside unbind range and trying to catch opponent with teleport in to kill a harvester if they can even kill a 10w model with 3+ save 6++

In the 6 objective games I think I have a small chance due to bodies but head to head I get crushed.

29 minutes ago, Svalack said:

I feel like I can't do any damage

Welcome to the Slaves to Weakness xD

„Oh no, my opponent showed up for the battle, how did he know that he could counter my army with this? “ 😅😂

just kidding, kind of...

srsly: Against OBR you cannplay the denial game, or you ally in a Lord of Change in order to spell-nuke their Harvesters first.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Svalack said:

Any advice against OBR using slaves? I have a rematch coming up. First game was a disaster ran plague touched  battalion which I thought would give me significant mortals, 

I feel like I can't do any damage, if anything goes through then the harvesters bring them back or 6 wounds are healed next turn. Daemon Prince flying over isn't killing a harvester even teaming up with belakor so I have to go head on with units and try to out damage it. No access to ranged plus magic is not happening against a +2 wizard.

Ran a pretty standard despoilers list with belakor, dp, sorc on manticore, cl, marauders, chosen warriors & shrine.

Sorc on manticore has been useless every game I guess that can go.

I thought about deploying a sorc with 40 marauders outside unbind range and trying to catch opponent with teleport in to kill a harvester if they can even kill a 10w model with 3+ save 6++

In the 6 objective games I think I have a small chance due to bodies but head to head I get crushed.

I guess you do not know that OBR got FAQ-ed. They do not get their +1 to save from Petrifex anymore. Petrifex only gets them a reroll 1s to save. (see https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/) , which gives you some relief. 

Marauders should be able to take on Mortek Guard, if they get buffed. Which mark do you play? Slaanesh and Khorne buff the damage proficiency very much, whereas Nurgle, Tzeentch and Unmarked buff the defense. If you play  Nurgle, the bataillon is really good, otherwise you do not need bataillons. 

My experiences with the Sorc Lord on Maticore are pretty good. Even if he does not get his spell off, it is still a Manticore with an average combat hero on top, who can buff other units with reroll saves. 

However, your plan of teleporting Marauders from outside of 30 inches sounds good. Nevertheless, if you want to do this on turn 1, you should do that with a unit of 20, as they still get their full buffs and the unit will certainly get obliterated. Try to clear or weaken a flank with that teleport and as you are more mobile, you should be able to play the objective game against them. A Demon Prince should also be able to kill a Harvester now if he does not whiff completely. Nevertheless, there are better targets like Crawlers or heroes. 

You have the mobility advantage. Use it to strike exactly where you need, avoid/screen what you cannot kill and concentrate on taking objectives instead of killing the enemy army. OBR used to be top tier, but they got nerfed really hard. 

10 minutes ago, Salyx said:

I guess you do not know that OBR got FAQ-ed. They do not get their +1 to save from Petrifex anymore. Petrifex only gets them a reroll 1s to save. (see https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/) , which gives you some relief. 

He's playing katakros, i don't know the faction name but he gives the whole army +1 save plus the mortek still reroll 1's with their ability and have the 6++ deathleaa. Im not even going to attempt to kill katakros.

Unless I get lucky with 6's and he gets unlucky with saves I don't think a demon prince is doing 10w in a turn, if it's not a double turn he will just heal back to full again aswell.

4 hours ago, Svalack said:

He's playing katakros, i don't know the faction name but he gives the whole army +1 save plus the mortek still reroll 1's with their ability and have the 6++ deathleaa. Im not even going to attempt to kill katakros.

Unless I get lucky with 6's and he gets unlucky with saves I don't think a demon prince is doing 10w in a turn, if it's not a double turn he will just heal back to full again aswell.

Ah, ok, so a recap of his list would be something like Katakros, Arkhan, Harvester and 3 units of Mortek Guard, which by itself is already almost 1500 points. In order to make this work, the Mortek need to be bigger, so the Rest of the Points will go into the Mortek Guard. Against Cities or Tzeentch or KO, they will melt, but against Std, this is strong.

So, what are the Options? First, you could try to outfight him. This is pretty hard, but with a sufficient amount of Support, IT is doable (Marauders of Khorne buffed with +2 attacks via allied Secrator and Wrathmonger, Shrine blessing, Pile in twice from the Chaos Lord, pile in on death from the Darkoath Chieftain). They would be your best shot to get rid of buffed Mortek Guard with Harvester with Slaves. You might as well try to isolate and destroy Single units, which can be done with not so buffed up Marauders. The Harvester only has 3" range, he cannoz be everywhere. 

The other way to deal with this Kind of army is to play the Objective game. Take the Objective as fast as possible and screen his army with units like Chaos Warhounds, so that he will not be able to get to the Objective in time to score. His units have such a large foot print and can Not fly and IT seems that He does Not have shooting, so two units of hounds can Block his army completely for 2 turns, especially, if you deploy them in layers. Ans After He has advanced, a unit of furies just flied on his back field Objective =). You might as well play Ravagers to summon chaff in his back so that He has to always keep a unit in the back or move forward and backward or lose important points. 

And by the way, you might try to Block his army by stopping his Harvester with Belakor. Either He gives up one turn to keep his protection or He has to keep 

If you want to try and defeat him, Cabalists and magic is a good way to go, especially if you include Kairos Fateweaver. Kairos innate spell, a Pendulum and another D3 damage spell should be sufficient to Kill or severly hamper the Harvester. And by the way:neither Katakros nor Arkhan have a Mortal wound protection other than the Deathless Minions save.

The Mortek Guard can be melted with the Sorcerer Lord's Wind of Chaos and for a save reroll buff, just use Demonic Power. You can cast These spells with Kairos, because He knows all Warscroll spells from friendly wizard in 18". 

With These strategies or a combination of All of them, you might be able to even the odds a little more. 

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Salyx said:

Ah, ok, so a recap of his list would be something like Katakros, Arkhan, Harvester and 3 units of Mortek Guard, which by itself is already almost 1500 points. In order to make this work, the Mortek need to be bigger, so the rest of the points will go into the Mortek Guard. Against Cities or Tzeentch or KO, they will melt, but against Std, this is strong.

So, what are the options? First, you could try to outfight him. This is pretty hard, but with a sufficient amount of Support, it is doable (Marauders of Khorne buffed with +2 attacks via allied Secrator and Wrathmonger, Shrine blessing, pile in twice from the Chaos Lord, pile in on death from the Darkoath Chieftain). That would be your best shot to get rid of Harvester-buffed Mortek Guard with Slaves. You might as well try to isolate and destroy single units, which can be done with not so buffed up Marauders. The Harvester only has 3" range, he cannot be everywhere. 

The other way to deal with this kind of army is to play the Objective game. Take the Objectives as fast as possible and screen his army with units like Chaos Warhounds, so that he will not be able to get to the Objective in time to score. His units have such a large foot print and cannot fly and if he does not have shooting, two units of hounds can block his army completely for 2 turns, especially, if you deploy them in layers. After he has advanced, a unit of furies just fly on his back field Objective =). You might as well play Ravagers to summon chaff in his back so that he always has to keep a unit in the back or move forward and backward or lose important points. 

And by the way, you might try to block his army by stopping his Harvester with Belakor. Either he gives up one turn of protection or one turn of movement. 

If you want to try and defeat him, Cabalists and magic is a good way to go, especially if you include Kairos Fateweaver. Kairos innate spell, a Pendulum and another D3 damage spell should be sufficient to kill or severly hamper the Harvester. And by the way:Neither Katakros nor Arkhan have a Mortal wound protection other than the Deathless Minions save.

The Mortek Guard can be melted with the Sorcerer Lord's Wind of Chaos and for a save reroll buff, just use Demonic Power. You can cast these spells with Kairos, because he knows all Warscroll spells from friendly wizards in 18". 

With these strategies or a combination of all of them, you might be able to even the odds a little more. 

Good luck. 

15 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Cheers! How does that differ from overgrown terrain? I went looking in the core rules but couldnt find where it talks about flying units not being subject to line of sight blocking terrain. 

It's on the "Overgrown Wilderness" rule for the Sylvaneth awaken forest. The core rule "Overgrown"doesn't have this exception.

image.png.46d0a40123e5c8afe9afecfb420275d5.png

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Thanks 1

Could also try MSU ruin bringer battalion.  His army feels really weak to mortal wounds, so 4-5 units of 1 chariot doing 4ish mortal wounds each on the charge will soon add up.

The main things is to focus fire and make sure a unit is completely wiped out before moving on to the next.  He's invested hundreds of points in healing and has very few wounds if you carefully take them down.  Also make sure to force him to stretch out his lines so the Crawler isn't covering too many Mortek when you engage them.    

Game vs OBR went a similar way to the first. I still don't see it as winnable without major luck.

Was ahead on objectives for first 2 rounds due to numbers/mobility then everything  just dies.

Almost killed a harvester with marauders then it hits back healing to full by killing lots of models with ease (bizarrely they seem tougher and more killy than a demon prince in combat despite being an amazing support piece and costing less)

Got 2 mortek guard units down to under 5 models a few times but 6 come back a turn, couldn't quite finish them off. 20 mortek roll over 60 dice and get exploding 6's (5's when buffed) have the rend too, way higher output than what i have. Plaguetouched warband was my primary source of damage with 13 mortals being hit back on one of the rounds against a guard unit, it was really the only thing keeping me in the game.

I got two casts off all game during first turn but then arkhan just unbinds everything again once in range - need massive luck to do anything. Considering taking a soul grinder the extra ranged hit might be able to finish something off and is more reliable than a spell but its a very expensive pick. Sometimes a few points of damage felt like it could have swung the game.

I might give khorne another go but low rend/output in the army against those saves... with my -1 rend units im still against their 4+ rerolling 6++ unit most of the time, extra attacks aren't helping much compared to mortal wounds. Ive used archaon against other armies as well but not sure how he fares here, i could easily charge into a harvester and wipe them out. I don't own a lord of change... perhaps my next purchase, if i can land a few spells it would have made all the difference.

Edited by Svalack

Hello!

I'm just starting to dip my toes into Age of Sigmar after being into 40K for quite a few years now.  I've decided to roll with the Slaves to Darkness, apparently to my own detriment, after reading a lot up on them.  I've gotten the start collecting box and plan to get bits to fill in the missing banners/horns that the units should be using.

My first 1000 points will be Ravagers (see picture).

The second Chaos Sorcerer Lord will be using Daemonic Power.  With two CSLs, I figure one will be keeping Oracular Visions on the Warriors as needed since they're not at 15 yet.

Would it be better to dump a CSL/cp for more Marauders or another 5 knights?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1000 StD Start.jpg

Edited by Archion89

Question for the group. 

The new ETB warriors and knights from the start collecting look great, but obviously they lack the many normal options available to those units, such as swords for the knights, etc... 

So what are people using for these alternative options, considering that GW aren't bothering to offer them? 

(happy to use 3rd party or 3d printed stuff) 

@Archion89 I think its a solid 1K list for dipping your toe into slaves. Ravagers legion is a solid choice in 1K games because of the summoned units so I wouldn't drop any heroes. 10 x marauders are probably the best choice for summoning given the almost guaranteed charge. Marauder horsemen are useful too. 

You might consider swapping the 20 marauders for 5 x knights if you dont have spare marauders to summon; otherwise your unit choices are good. Although I would point out that the Marauders should take mark of Khorne as they get nothing from being Undivided in your list and the khorne hero has an 18" aura.

Another potential swap to consider is a sorcerer lord for a chaos lord on foot. Letting a strong unit fight twice in melee can be clutch in 1K games however beware that it costs CP  when Ravagers are already CP hungry.

If you keep him then your second sorcerer needs to choose a lore spell, although if you think he'll be spamming Daemonic Power every turn then I'd recommend Spite Tongue Curse. Against some armies with weak unbinds, having the option to do a near guaranteed 3 mortal wounds could be crucial. 

13 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

The new ETB warriors and knights from the start collecting look great, but obviously they lack the many normal options available to those units, such as swords for the knights, etc... 

There is acutally not really a problem, because if you want to play lances - they have lances. And if you want to play Ens Weapons, Lances can be ensorcelled, right? Nobody says they are ensorcelled swords/clubs/hammers or whatever. 
As long as you let your opponent know, I think its fine :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@Archion89 I think its a solid 1K list for dipping your toe into slaves. Ravagers legion is a solid choice in 1K games because of the summoned units so I wouldn't drop any heroes. 10 x marauders are probably the best choice for summoning given the almost guaranteed charge. Marauder horsemen are useful too. 

You might consider swapping the 20 marauders for 5 x knights if you dont have spare marauders to summon; otherwise your unit choices are good. Although I would point out that the Marauders should take mark of Khorne as they get nothing from being Undivided in your list and the khorne hero has an 18" aura.

Another potential swap to consider is a sorcerer lord for a chaos lord on foot. Letting a strong unit fight twice in melee can be clutch in 1K games however beware that it costs CP  when Ravagers are already CP hungry.

If you keep him then your second sorcerer needs to choose a lore spell, although if you think he'll be spamming Daemonic Power every turn then I'd recommend Spite Tongue Curse. Against some armies with weak unbinds, having the option to do a near guaranteed 3 mortal wounds could be crucial. 

Hey @Agent of Chaos

Thanks for the reply/advice.  I would only have the 20 marauders to start because I would be kitbashing old marauders with bloodreavers so want to keep initial cost down.  So maybe I'll keep the 20 as the summonable units and bring in 5 more knights!  You mention they're CP hungry, so would 3 heroes be too much?  I like the idea of a chaos lord on foot; however, those 160 points could be more boots on the ground in his place?  I understand Chaos leans on their heroes from what I read, but would that still be the case at 1k? Apologies for all the questions, I want to get into an okay position with StD to start!

The only reason for the marauders as undivided was the battleshock immunity but khorne would probably be better.   I feel like with all this Khorne marking, I could swing into Blades of Khorne or something.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, couldn't edit this into the other post I made.  Something like this?  @Agent of Chaos

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
 - Damned Legion: Ravagers

LEADERS
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (230)
- General
- Command Trait : Eternal Vendetta
- Artefact : Mark of the High-favoured
- Mark of Chaos : Khorne

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos : Nurgle
- Spell : Mask of Darkness
- Ravagers Command Trait : Master of Deception