AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

13 hours ago, Gistradagis said:

What? What artefact.

Exuse me, i ment that command trait. 

The command trait i was talking about was cirulent contagion : improve the rend characteristic by 1 for attacks made your general in the combat phase

Rustfang is for rotbringer heroes. So not for slaves mortals.

However you can use the The carrion dirge artefact to subtract 2 from the bravery of enemies in 12'' bubble. Together with knights/Mindstealer sphinx this can be devestating vs armies that are sensitive for battleshocks.  You could even take Hideous visage: subtract 2 from the bravery characteristic of enemy units while they ware whitin 3'' of your general.

@Gistradagis I play both slaves and nurgle and i can tell you that Slaves in a nurgle army (especialy with the new point reduction of our knights/chaos lord on karkadrak) is actualy realy powerfull with the right list and has way more damage output then the slaves book with the right list. To not even forget the summoning you get to obtain objectives end game instead of having to send units to it.

A bit nurgle related but since we are talking about it anyway,

Let me give you a example for buffing a slaves army: Rotigus/sorcerer-plague squall/Rampant Disease spray tons of mortal wounds over the entire battlefield (no range limits) Have epidemius in your army well protected (when you killed 14 enemy models) you will have reroll hit/wound rolls of 1 on your entire army.

Make a big units of knights (or multiple) together with the chaos lord on karkadrak as mentiont above, buff your knights with his CA,  fecund vigour gives you 1 to wound roll if you have it on your cycle of corroption. 

You can even put in a plaguetouched warband if you feel like it.

Khorn might give you more oopmf but nurgle has some realy good magic and some other tricks up it sleeve. Just try it out ;)

A bit disappointed in the changes. No real boost with the exception of knights - if enough to make them viable time will tell. On the other hand marauders will still be the staple unit and Daemonrift still a must have. Gaunt probably not worth it any longer. Thus most builds will gain little but will now cost around 100 points more in a 2000 points game. Didn’t really feel like the army needed toning down overall. No sky falling but they should just have boosted knights and warriors and we would have been in a much better place without being OP.

16 hours ago, Midjithero said:

marauder horsemen (my favorite unit mind you) will now very rarely see game play...

I really love these models. Such a great kit with all the little add-ons like strapped javelins, chains, skulls etc.

It was so unnecessary and bizarre to hike them like they did. It's not like Ruinbringer chaff spam was sweeping the podiums, nor even featuring in that many lists. SMH.

• Like 1

I know everyone talking about how to use S2D in Nurgle (or other god books) is Just attempting to show the viability of the units, and I completely agree, the units are 100% better suited for use in those books...

I just wish they made S2D book better, argh it’s so frustrating lol!  I wanted it to be it’s own stand alone book and not a supplement.  Oh well, guess we will have to wait until the next S2D book release. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Midjithero said:

I know everyone talking about how to use S2D in Nurgle (or other god books) is Just attempting to show the viability of the units, and I completely agree, the units are 100% better suited for use in those books...

I just wish they made S2D book better, argh it’s so frustrating lol!  I wanted it to be it’s own stand alone book and not a supplement.  Oh well, guess we will have to wait until the next S2D book release. 

I dont think our book is bad, i think you should keep your options open/be openminded what you can do with STD units. They can be used in many armies (lucky us). 

Edited by Jonko

21 hours ago, Grimrock said:

Rustfang. Not quite -1 rend, it reduces the saves of one unit within 3" for the rest of the game at the start of every combat phase. Can't do it to the same unit more than once, but you can use it on different units in later turns. It's good on him for sure, but the problem is that you're still relying on his base stats for hitting/wounding which are only so so. Certainly an option but not great, I still think Khorne is the only way to use him now.

Yes, but you don't need Karkadrak for that.

If you play an exalted and a Lord for roughly the same price, you get a way better damage output.

Also Festus will do "-1 rend" for the remainder of the battle. So -2 rend is easily archivable.

Which brings us back to square one.

StD are garbage if not played in other armies.

1 hour ago, Jonko said:

I dont think our book is bad, i think you should keep your options open/be openminded what you can do with STD units. They can be used in many armies (lucky us). 

So you are saying our book is not bad but we should play our units using other books.

May i ask when a book becomes bad then?

I am playing a non-competitive Warrior/Knight heavy army and with the current points changes I have an additional 100 points to spend and I am looking for recommendations:

I am thinking of going with one of these 3 options:
Adding two spawn to my army to grab objectives and sponge some attacks.
Adding an additional hero and warcry warband for rally the tribes.
A Mindstealer Sphiranx which pairs well with my knights for some bravery shenanigans.

Which of these options would be the most fun to build, paint, or play? Or is there something else I should spend the points on instead?

24 minutes ago, Salyx said:

@Neverchosen How does the Rest of your army Look like? Rushing with Knights? Hammer and Anvil with Warriors and Knights? How much Magic? What kind of army do you want to play? 

I do hammer and anvil style play between my knights and warriors. I essentially built an army around the Slaves to Darkness Battleforce and the Warcry starter set. I added an additional regiment of warriors, a Demon Prince and kit-bashed an Exalted Hero. 

I am essentially looking for whatever choice adds the most fun in terms of play style. 

A great addition for this force would be a Chaos Sorcerer Lord, who has a Teleport spell, can give a unit re-roll saves and has an unbind, which your army misses. However, he is at 110 points, so I do not know if you can squeeze him in.  If not, then perhaps some more Warriors? Some Furies? Or some Iron Golems for holding Objectives? These are all quite viable as well, however, I think, a Sorcerer is the best choice, if you ask me. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Salyx said:

A great addition for this force would be a Chaos Sorcerer Lord, who has a Teleport spell, can give a unit re-roll saves and has an unbind, which your army misses. However, he is at 110 points, so I do not know if you can squeeze him in.  If not, then perhaps some more Warriors? Some Furies? Or some Iron Golems for holding Objectives? These are all quite viable as well, however, I think, a Sorcerer is the best choice, if you ask me. 

Thanks for the tips :)

I am currently sitting at exactly 100 free available points, although maybe I can shore up some more points by dropping my kit-bashed Champion or demoting him to a unit champion... 

Some additional information my group plays Legions of Nagash, Cities of Sigmar (Dispossessed) and Disciples of Tzeentch. I am also collecting Idoneth Deepkin and play against it in friendly matches from time to time.

Edited by Neverchosen

4 hours ago, NJohansson said:

But this is your problem and unfortunately you are to stubborn to realize it. My main army is Tzeentch. In a competitive build I use Horrors, Flamers, LoC, blue scribe and Kairos. That is less than 40 percent of the actual book - but no one argues that it is not a powerful one. I get that you want to use warriors - yes they are fluffy and yes they are cool, but warriors of chaos have not been competitive for the majority of the game. They were not competitive  in 6th ed WFB and they are still not competitive, learn to deal with it - if not change game or army. If you play the game for 10+ years you will realize that fluff is just fluff - game mechanics are something entirely different. AoS is much more balanced than any other GW game has ever been (maybe Blood Bowl is more balanced)  when looking at army to army. If you want unit on unit balance, sorry - this game is not for you.

To be fair though; those Tzeentch units are all Iconic.

57 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

I love Age of Sigmar, but i respectfully disagree with this. I don't think that Age of Sigmar, Warhammer Fantasy or 40K could come close to  Middle Earth SBG. One of the best and most balanced rule systems and it also manages to combine lore/fluff with gameplay.

To be honest - forgot about Middle Earth - somehow newer felt that it was a GW game (probably because of the vastly different setting - Tolking vs actual GW). My main point was that GW games have never been fully balanced. More than that - for a long time (10+ years) they didn’t even try to balance things (the whole “we are a company that make models and not games” era). Now at least they try.

2 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

To be fair though; those Tzeentch units are all Iconic.

To some people yes. For me Tzeentch has always been about scheming cultists, powerful  mages and scholars who sold their soul for knowledge and power. My favorite models back in WFB (lore not point vise) were Daemon princes, the powerful chaos lords (especially the dragon riding ones - Egrimm Von Horstman is probably one of my favorite character of all time) and the spawn (the constant danger of to much gifts). 

But that is fluff and taste and fluff is subjective - saying that a model does not play in accordance with fluff is like saying “I don’t like carrots” - we could argue if a carrot is good for you or not, but if you like it or not is really only up to you.

For what it’s worth - the majority of all fluff (regarding chaos) from WFB was about huge armies of marauders invading from the north led by mighty chaos champions. Fluff vise the army has always been a Horde (or a secret sect if within the boarders of the empire) and not a small elite force. Going over to AoS - a chaos warrior is really not that special any longer. In WFB they used to be elite troops - now they are killed by Stormcasts without breaking a sweat.  

+++ MOD HAT +++

And that's enough of that.  I've just removed a number of posts where a few members were taking swipes at each other.  This is not what we expect from our members.  Always read what you're about to post before posting it - if it comes across as personal or rude then don't post it - this includes "learn to play" or suggesting a member should "leave the hobby".

• Like 1

To be fair, when someone asks, what he should do with a couple of spare points left and the answers are: how about furies? Or a Sphiranx? Or some Iron Golems? Or maybe a Mage? Or what about a Crusher?

Than, the book seems rather healthy and offers a lot of viable choices. Tzeentch, Seraphon and other crazy books shall not be the standard in my opinion.

I understand that many are unhappy and that there are some weird rules writings, but it could be much worse.

Call me crazy: I really like the book!

But maybe we should end this topic:)

Edited by rosa
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

53 minutes ago, rosa said:

To be fair, when someone asks, what he should do with a couple of spare points left and the answers are: how about furies? Or a Sphiranx? Or some Iron Golems? Or maybe a Mage? Or what about a Crusher?

Than, the book seems rather healthy and offers a lot of viable choices. Tzeentch, Seraphon and other crazy books shall not be the standard in my opinion.

I understand that many are unhappy and that there are some weird rules writings, but it could be much worse.

Call me crazy: I really like the book!

But maybe we should end this topic:)

I've lost a game to Furies, as they just wait around until the last few turns then hop skip and jump over an objective. Their lack of save doesn't matter, as even if they had a 5+ they'd still be falling over to a stiff breeze.

Sphiranx is probably considered the best 100 point option overall, but that's primarily combat focused as opposed to objective play.

Fomoroid I think is not bad, especially on tables with lots of terrain; and much like how I use Dankholds, they have some decent pinning potential for other units that you want to protect from pile ins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonko said:

Does anyone know when the app for the phone will be updated? i'm waiting for the right points to make a list

sadly no. There's been no mention of a date
@rosa mhm I disagree slightly. The point is: We have cheap units : true.
Are they all good: nope. But you have to fill those left over points somehow :D

And yes: furies are good.
The Sphiranx and the Crusher are at an odd spot (imo) but they can have their uses. :)

All I can tell people to use is the magnificent Mammoth of awesomeness: 
It might do nothing, OR stomp 30 'Ard Boys a turn :D

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1