AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

1 minute ago, Eldarain said:

The Dwarf being the most accurate comparison as the Warrior is on a bit of masonry.

Taking into account the Warrior's base they look to be about the same height as the Warriors.  Really a perfect fit!

They look better in your pics than on the Mantic site!  I'm guessing it's mostly a higher res pic of them spread out on 25mm bases instead of packed together in a low res photo.

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 4:35 AM, Agent of Chaos said:

Looking for comments on my new Cabalist List.

If I have a good magic phase then I think this list has the potential to do quite well. Might get a sprinkling of mortal wounds from the Warshrine battalion as well.

All comments are welcome but mostly I'm interested in recommendations for my 2 artifacts as I really don't know what to take. This list doesn't have much use for CP or melee weapons; are there any artifacts out there that boost spell casting or generally help a magic oriented army? I could go the Cabalist items for a once-per-battle auto unbind and auto succeed on a ritual but wondering if there are better options out there?

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Cabalists

Leaders
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- General
- Command Trait: Mighty Ritualist
- Artefact: ??????
- Mark of Chaos: Undivided
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- Artefact: ???????
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
- Spell: Binding Damnation
Be'Lakor (240)
- Spell: Mask of Darkness
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (240)
- Allies

Battleline
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields
15 x Chaos Warriors (300)
- Halberd & Shield
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Godswrath Warband (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Darkfire Daemonrift (50)
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
The Burning Head (30)
Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (30)
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 112

The Manticore Sorcerer greatly benefits from the Ethereal amulet. As to the second one, I feel that the Godswrarh isn’t really worth it in Cabalists. A second Gaunt (trimming needed to fit), the Blue scribes, Khorne DP or another unit of marauders provide much more than the lower drop and additional artifact. 

I would also look to remove a marauder horse unit to replace it with a sacrificial unit for the rituals. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, NJohansson said:

The Manticore Sorcerer greatly benefits from the Ethereal amulet. As to the second one, I feel that the Godswrarh isn’t really worth it in Cabalists. A second Gaunt (trimming needed to fit), the Blue scribes, Khorne DP or another unit of marauders provide much more than the lower drop and additional artifact. 

I would also look to remove a marauder horse unit to replace it with a sacrificial unit for the rituals. 

Cheers! All good suggestions. Right now I don't have a 2nd Gaunt or Blue Scribes to field. Khorne DP is an option.

TBH the marauders in this list are the sacrifice unit. I think a warcry unit would be ideal but I don't have one.

Any other artefact suggestions?

On 4/30/2020 at 1:29 PM, Roark said:

I hope this isn't bad manners to mention in the StD thread, but I believe I play Slaves units in Khorne allegiance in the way you describe. Slaves units get the opportunity to shine offensively in Khorne. But you need Khorne units too...

PS: Were you a Khorne-marked Chaos Warriors with Halberds kind of guy? Those were the days. 🙂

I am aware of the relationship with a similar list in Khorne. In particular, I saw the Blades of Khorne army that won SAGT around a month ago - which seemed similar in many regards. 

As an option, I'd certainly keep it open. In recent years, I haven't been a fan of moving khorne towards priest and prayer mechanics. As this seems to remain dominant in the book, I aim to circumvent it atm. Nevertheless, I will paint my chaos army to work with any mark or book, as I've suffered to many times investing in Age of Sigmar and then having unit options or books swept out beneath me.

Regarding offensive ability. I'm quite happy to pin people back and play the objectives game, while using surgical magic or teleporting units to remove key pieces. 

Regarding 8th, actually khorne halberd warriors were not my game - surprisingly! If tournament comp allowed, I ran Slaanesh chariots as core with crusher support, tanky tzeentch characters and chaff. Trolls sometimes as well. 

If comp forced me towards warriors, as at the ETC, I gravitated towards tzeentch sword and board. Always felt khorne foot warriors were too slow to apply their damage where needed, while that same lack of speed and their overall cost made them vulnerable to frenzy overrun.

As it happens, I've slightly updated my list: let me know any further thoughts

Screenshot_20200501-133140_Drive.jpg

Edited by WeeDaveSoutar

On 5/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

Cheers! All good suggestions. Right now I don't have a 2nd Gaunt or Blue Scribes to field. Khorne DP is an option.

TBH the marauders in this list are the sacrifice unit. I think a warcry unit would be ideal but I don't have one.

Any other artefact suggestions?

I guess it is down to play style and your idea behind the army. With Cabalist I personally use 1-2 marauders units as ballistic missiles (teleport them up to 9” away and charge - preferably something holding a back line objective or a mage) so in such case they don’t really work as fodder. The horrors are excellent (especially if you have the emerald swarm) or the snake people (since they get models back). I also always try to include the spell portal (since I really need to be able to get my spells where needed) and then I really like the Khorne DP (or Kairos) since they both can buy me an extra turn out of CC if necessary. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:14 AM, Ninelives said:

Hey guys,

I don't often post but I felt like sharing this project I've worked on ! :D hope you guys like it.

DSC01334.JPG.5ede591a747b921a50eb56924e8a1cfe.JPG

I've put more pictures on the blog https://lachroniquedestrois.blogspot.com/ .

It's not often updated, but hopefully that'll change in the future :)

That's awesome! Nice conversion, I like how much Nurgle you packed on it. 

I am planning to put my warshrine on a thundertusk.  I haven't done a conversion before, wish me luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJJazzyFred said:

That's awesome! Nice conversion, I like how much Nurgle you packed on it. 

I am planning to put my warshrine on a thundertusk.  I haven't done a conversion before, wish me luck.

Hey ! Thanks , I am glad you like it :D

Good luck on your conversion! Any god in particular? 

The things that helped me were to make lots of trial before gluing it all together to make sure I liked the look of it and then paint it in separate chunks. Hope you have fun!

1 hour ago, Falkman said:

Hey guys! Probably been asked before, but do we have any news/info on if/when the new Chaos warriors and knights in the start collecting-box will be available separately?

I don't think so.  However you can find them parted out on eBay pretty frequently.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2020 at 1:35 PM, Ninelives said:

Hey ! Thanks , I am glad you like it :D

Good luck on your conversion! Any god in particular? 

The things that helped me were to make lots of trial before gluing it all together to make sure I liked the look of it and then paint it in separate chunks. Hope you have fun!

I'm doing a chaos undivided scheme, I have liked that aesthetic forever and have just got into AoS in the last year or so.

I'm getting an S2D army assembled so I can play with my friend and then I'll start painting.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DJJazzyFred said:

I'm doing a chaos undivided scheme, I have liked that aesthetic forever and have just got into AoS in the last year or so.

I'm getting an S2D army assembled so I can play with my friend and then I'll start painting.

Take @Ninelives advice and get a bunch of poster tack. Best tool when starting a new conversion. In the Netherlands we have this:

image.jpg.86ce8dd4bbf60048604abae27bdb588b.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, Third said:

I have been dancing around the new Slaves to Darkness starter box for a little while now.. But I am a little bummed by the fact that there are no full command crew for the Warriors and Knights :( 

Does anyone have good ideas on how to mod the new models to have commands?

They look sooo cool 😍 So might get them even without it being possible to fix.

If nobody has already responded and told you this, the new sculpt chaos warrior holding the head in one hand has his weapon hand basically in the perfect position and height to cut it at the wrist and replace with an old chaos warrior banner hand.

Hello,

I have a question, sorry if its a bit obvious but it's hurting my brain.

I want to give the Ulgu Blade of Folded Shadows to a Mounted Chaos Lord. The blade gives +1 to hit. His weapon inflicts 2MW's on an unmodified hit roll of 6. Does that mean that, with the blade, hit rolls of 5 and 6 will inflict the 2MWs?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Guys, what do you think GW is going to do with the StD points on the next general handbook?

Maybe this is going to be more like a wish list. But I want to know your opinions :).
1- Chaos warriors are too expensive, maybie 90 points per 5, max unit of 20 and discount of 340 the 20 guys can be an awespme change.

2- Gaunt sumoner rise of 20 points..... 

3- Warcry bands at 60 points, this guys like the bloodreavers are only fresh meat...

4- 20 point drop of the chaos chariots, 120 points are too expensive for only a few MWs.

5- Varanguard need a point drop to previus 270 or 280, 300 points are too much for his power.

6- 160-170 points for 20 marauders and cost reduction to 320-300 for max 40. They are the best unit in the book by far, i think they need a bit nerf for 20 bcause you teleport this going to suicide but killing first, like the ironjawz gameplay... his charge is insane.

And thats all, i think the book is very well balanced in all aspects, and this changes arent soo much, but i want se chaos warriors on competitive games again, ant they cant be competitive at 100 points, other guys like the ardboyz are much much better. I want go with 2 units of 20 chaos warriors as a core of my army, put they are too expensive right now...

What do you think? Some unit need raise or go down in points in your opinion?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Hello,

I have a question, sorry if its a bit obvious but it's hurting my brain.

I want to give the Ulgu Blade of Folded Shadows to a Mounted Chaos Lord. The blade gives +1 to hit. His weapon inflicts 2MW's on an unmodified hit roll of 6. Does that mean that, with the blade, hit rolls of 5 and 6 will inflict the 2MWs?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

No, if it says unmodifies is unmodified, if you are giving to the dice roll +1 that is modify the roll. 

You need a NATURAL 6 on the dice, witouth modifiers :).

some rules, generally old, says about for example 6+. This "+" means it can trigger but in this case with the modifiers ^^

2 hours ago, ccconner777 said:

If nobody has already responded and told you this, the new sculpt chaos warrior holding the head in one hand has his weapon hand basically in the perfect position and height to cut it at the wrist and replace with an old chaos warrior banner hand.

I have had some good advise already, the problem is that it would be me starting STD from scratch, so will have to find the banner and the horn from somewhere else :) Might just wait for boxes to release.. They must come at some point! Thanks for the advise though^^

15 minutes ago, Third said:

I have had some good advise already, the problem is that it would be me starting STD from scratch, so will have to find the banner and the horn from somewhere else :) Might just wait for boxes to release.. They must come at some point! Thanks for the advise though^^

I have a box full of old S2D bits i got for a steal on ebay. Im sure i have an extra banner i could send you if you want.

A little bit of a thought exercise for you guys... 

What are some good combos of:

Hero + Unit + Mark

For example, it could be something as simple as:

Chaos Lord + Marauders + Khorne = combat buffs and fight twice!

Essentially I'm going Multi-God based around little pockets of combos like that so looking for inspiration :D

11 hours ago, Charlo said:

Hero + Unit + Mark

Essentially I'm going Multi-God based around little pockets of combos like that so looking for inspiration :D

Bloodstoker + Chariot + Mark of Khorne

20 hours ago, Charlo said:

Hero + Unit + Mark

A few that I've tested that work decent.

Daemon Prince + Knights (I like blocks of 10) + bloodsecreator + khorne, specifically with the Daemon Prince being the general.  This gives you a block of knights that (assuming you are running ensorcelled blades) is hitting on 3's re-rolling 1's and then wounding on 2's (with the mount doing 4+rr1/3+), and you get extra attacks as well.  However, the Daemon Prince general with Despoilers is kind of needed for the 18" aura, because otherwise it gets a bit too easy for the knights to outrun the buff piece.  Alternatively, a Lord on Karkadrak with the helm giving him an 18" aura (in ravagers) is an alternative, though I find the Daemon Prince's command ability quite good for helping the knights get their charge off.

Chaos Warriors + Harbinger of Decay + warshrine (warshrine doesn't need the same mark, but its useful) + nurgle gives you a block of warriors with a 4+ rr save, a 5+ ignore mortal wounds with shields, a 5+ward save from the harbinger, a 6+ ward save from the warshrine, and can also get +1 to their saves from the warshrine's prayer.  That being said, while tanky, if you want them to actually kill something you kind of need them in the plaguetouched warband so that they can reflect mortal wounds.

Marauders + bloodstoker + khorne (bonus - +teleport).  Marauders can already basically auto-get an 8" charge.  Add a bloodstoker and you get an auto 11" charge.

I like a lord on mount/karkadrak + Knights with Glaives (10 is great but 5 is good) + Bloodstoker + Khorne. Biggest weakness with glaives is hitting on 4+ so Lord's CA helps with that. The +3" from the stoker, +1" from the musician and reroll charge means they will get where they need to and rerolling wounds ensures those crucial glaive attacks get through. If you can ally in a Bloodsecrator and/or the Doom Sigil for extra attacks its brutal. Bonus points for Ruinbringer warband for extra mortal wounds on the charge. 

Word of warning on the marauder + stoker + teleport combo; its super hard to pull off because the stoker's ability weirdly goes off at the start of the movement phase at which point the marauders have already been teleported. 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Having failed hard at getting excited about Lumineth I am considering a ton of kit-bashing to turn the old Dark Elf range into a Slaanesh STD army. I have a lot of ideas for conversions but in terms of being competitive, what are your experiences of the following units:

Ruinbringer warband with MSU Knights - I'm think ensorcelled weapons plus exploding 6's might be fun.

Mammoth - I have an insane idea for a proxy but is this thing still even playable or just a relic warscroll?

Chosen - Love the fluff but not convinced by the stats... Anyone had any success with them in blocks of 10?

Karkadrakk Lord - Is he worth giving the Sword of Judgement to?

Ravagers - do the reinforcements help at all or are they usesless?

Thanks in advance, appreciate any advice

Edited by NorthernNurgling

2 hours ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Hi guys,

Having failed hard at getting excited about Lumineth I am considering a ton of kit-bashing to turn the old Dark Elf range into a Slaanesh STD army. I have a lot of ideas for conversions but in terms of being competitive, what are your experiences of the following units:

Ruinbringer warband with MSU Knights - I'm think ensorcelled weapons plus exploding 6's might be fun.

Mammoth - I have an insane idea for a proxy but is this thing still even playable or just a relic warscroll?

Chosen - Love the fluff but not convinced by the stats... Anyone had any success with them in blocks of 10?

Karkadrakk Lord - Is he worth giving the Sword of Judgement to?

Ravagers - do the reinforcements help at all or are they usesless?

Thanks in advance, appreciate any advice

I can offer a few notes:

1. Ruinbringer is solid, although I haven't played with a ton of knights to really put it through its paces. Knights are pretty expensive and don't do a ton of damage, but ruinbringer helps that and they're pretty resilient. I'm happy with a unit or two but more than that might be difficult to build with.

2. Mammoth is definitely playable and by all accounts rock solid for its points. Never tried it though. 

3. Haven't tried chosen yet. I just can't seem to make a list that I like for them and I think marauders will do far better for their points. 

4. Karkadrak can take the sword of judgement, but I think the dimensional blade (-3 rend) is better. Makes him an absolute blender.

5. I've found the ravagers summoning very helpful in games. Threatening back lines skews how your opponent plays, and the flexibility in options is huge. For example, you can put a durable iron golems unit on an objective, bring on a marauder unit to almost guarantee the charge on a squishy support hero, or summon a quick unit like marauder horsemen to toss some javelins and threaten objectives in a wide section of the board. You certainly don't want to use it every turn, but it can be really good in the right circumstances. 

Finally, if you're looking at playing slaanesh you could also consider playing with the slaanesh allegiance instead of slaves. The exploding 6's there don't need hero's nearby, and while you lose out on ravagers and a few battalions you do gain a much more aggressive summoning mechanic. Plus you get easier access to heavy hitting daemons like the keeper and contorted epitome, and of course the locus of diversion. Definitely worth considering. 

Edited by Grimrock