AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

20 hours ago, Revan123 said:

I found one of a few ways to play Slaves to Darkness competatively, not putting them in Nurgle. Thanks to Poland. I won against 100 morteks with this and could win against Nagash, if I do everything right.

blob.png.f2b282d1db823b03598461ee68226d61.png

Interesting list and close to what I have been running lately (I play with -1 sorcerer lord, and Kairos and have 1-2 Gaunts and the Blue Scribe instead). 

What does Kairos bring to the list? Is it the better dispel or any other synergy? 

@NJohansson Kairos has 3 Spells/Dispells for only 20 pts more. The Bolt of Change can also tie a unit down if a spawn happens. Also, the ability to adjust a single roll in the game is of certain worth. Like, when you do the D6 Damage to an opponents model who is at 5 life, and you can ensure the 6 damage to get rid of it

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

@NJohansson Kairos has 3 Spells/Dispells for only 20 pts more. The Bolt of Change can also tie a unit down if a spawn happens. Also, the ability to adjust a single roll in the game is of certain worth. Like, when you do the D6 Damage to an opponents model who is at 5 life, and you can ensure the 6 damage to get rid of it

I get all that and I regularly use Kairos in DoT lists. Just I have never seen any synergy with him in a Cabal list. For example, a GS (who gets plus from being a cabalists) and the Blue scribes cost less, provides a crucial buff and a free horror unit as well as the same casting power (a bit weaker dispel though). 

To be clear - not criticizing just trying to figure out if I am missing anything else.

51 minutes ago, NJohansson said:

I get all that and I regularly use Kairos in DoT lists. Just I have never seen any synergy with him in a Cabal list. For example, a GS (who gets plus from being a cabalists) and the Blue scribes cost less, provides a crucial buff and a free horror unit as well as the same casting power (a bit weaker dispel though). 

To be clear - not criticizing just trying to figure out if I am missing anything else.

Kairos will have a High chance of Casting most of the endless spells (with a 10+) due to his abilities, then you follow that up with the daemon rift and wreck the enemy lines.

On 3/10/2020 at 2:10 PM, annarborhawk said:

Anyway, the 6" pile-in artifact (grasping plate), together with the once per game attack twice is REALLY effective. When that unit gets Oracular Vision'd and Demonic Powered - holy hell. The 6" pile in gives your general a 22" threat range. (And it was REALLY handy at avoiding the insane overwatch fire from CoS handgunners). That second pile in I was often able to use to get to some juicy prize behind a screen.

Does the grasping plate give you 22" threat range?  You need to be within 3" to get the second pile in.

15 hours ago, Midjithero said:

So are you playing in competitive tourneys or just a local meta?  If you fight anything with a wizard or dispel inthe army you will be F’ed :) 

Yes, the balewind gives you an additional spell Apologies for not catching that part, but that’s still not enough for all of the spells you have available in all honesty.  You should drop it down to 3 max endless and bring in more wizards.  Cabalists want to cast spells :) 

I hope I’m wrong, but even only having 2 endless spells with Be’lakor, Manticore and Sorc Lord, I have trouble prioritizing between the base spell/endless spell/book spells...we have an amazing spell lore and warscroll spells 

Local meta for me, against friends actually. They will have one or two wizards though. Why do you say my army will be f'ed though? Against one or two rival wizards I'm still going to outcast them with the cabalist ritual buff in most instances.

Will consider dropping 3 endless spells though.. hard to choose. 

But it isn't hard to choose between base spells and endless spells - and this is because not everything is a horde (which accounts for two of the base spells I have) and the last one is a daemonic power buff to the Marauders, who on turn 1 will not need it as they will simply be screening and advancing carefully.

19 hours ago, Snakeb1te said:

I really like this list - I have a similar one but without the beatsticks you have, do you mind critiquing it?

Too much endless spells only for 4 casters. That is the main problem of the list. You are not a Cities of Sigmar and will never reach the same effect with such amount of them

18 hours ago, Charleston said:

@Snakeb1te: I may not be him but I see some differences:

His list is build with a lot more of controll in mind. Belakor is great at denying your opponent stuff, the Sorcerer on Manticore can either shred big blobs or halt them while providing -1 to hit so shooty lists can´t get rid of your chaff. In same manner the DP of Khorne can actively keep the enemy from charging you. I´ve already had several games in which my opponent didn´t get a single charge despite beeing in 4". There is also a lot of +1 to cast effects, thats why I see the LoC there, which leads to more consistency for the casting rolls and allows a supermacy in the magic phase. All this elements make his list viable for competetive play.

Thanks, you are right. Yet against Nagash or Destruction with 4+ to casting or Cities of Sigmar we have a lot of problems. But I was able to hold and take more objectives from 100 morteks.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spears said:

Does the grasping plate give you 22" threat range?  You need to be within 3" to get the second pile in.

You are incorrect about the 3" pile-in. There are some abilities (like the Slaves to Darkness, Slaaneshi Pleasurebound Warband) which simply increase your pile-in range. 

However some abilities (like grasping plate) specify that you are eligible to fight within 6" and can pile in 6". Sisters of Slaughter from the Daughters of Khaine also have this. 

The threat range I assume refers to moving the Varanguard unit 10", then piling in 6" - perhaps killing the unit, using the Varanguard ability to fight twice, then piling in another 6" into another unit - effectively allowing you to attack something 22" away even if it is behind a unit (provided you can kill the screening unit). 

Hope that makes sense. 

Edited by Snakeb1te

5 hours ago, NJohansson said:

Interesting list and close to what I have been running lately (I play with -1 sorcerer lord, and Kairos and have 1-2 Gaunts and the Blue Scribe instead). 

What does Kairos bring to the list? Is it the better dispel or any other synergy? 

2 hours ago, NJohansson said:

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Kairos will have a High chance of Casting most of the endless spells (with a 10+) due to his abilities, then you follow that up with the daemon rift and wreck the enemy lines.

The main reason for Kairos - he know all spells from warscrolls of any caster wholly withing 18. So Manticore can stop unit from moving and Kairos can cast mortal wound spam from his warscroll. He also can cast reroll to hit to wound and -1 to wound, knowing spells of other casters. It allows move flexability around the board. Also his own spell will set a chaos spawn right into the unit not allow him to charge next turn if he will survive. 

I am thinking about dropping a command point and take  Rupture to get another wall enemy will not be able to pass. But many times I was needed a command point for charge or 6's advance, so I am still thinking 

21 minutes ago, Snakeb1te said:

You are incorrect about the 3" pile-in. There are some abilities (like the Slaves to Darkness, Slaaneshi Pleasurebound Warband) which simply increase your pile-in range. 

However some abilities (like grasping plate) specify that you are eligible to fight within 6" and can pile in 6". Sisters of Slaughter from the Daughters of Khaine also have this. 

The threat range I assume refers to moving the Varanguard unit 10", then piling in 6" - perhaps killing the unit, using the Varanguard ability to fight twice, then piling in another 6" into another unit - effectively allowing you to attack something 22" away even if it is behind a unit (provided you can kill the screening unit). 

Hope that makes sense. 

Thats weird I would swear the Varanguard wording was the same as the chaos lord in that you have to be within 3" to use the ability regardless of pile in range.

Edit: No I think i'm right, you have to be within 3 to use relentless killers on the current warscroll.

Edited by Spears

8 minutes ago, Spears said:

Thats weird I would swear the Varanguard wording was the same as the chaos lord in that you have to be within 3" to use the ability regardless of pile in range.

It is, you are right. No matter how far you can pile in or be selected to fight from, in order to select the unit to fight for the second time (using the Varanguard ability or Chaos Lord Command Trait) you need to be within 3" of an enemy before piling in (for the second time), so often quite easy for a decent opponent to take causalities to deny the second attack. Both abilities are crystal clear that they need to be within 3" to be selected for a second time and there aren't any abilities, traits or artefacts that effect those specific rules.

Grasping plate does let you run/retreat to a position over 3" away then pile in and attack (for the first time) without charging, which is great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

It is, you are right. No matter how far you can pile in or be selected to fight from, in order to select the unit to fight for the second time (using the Varanguard ability or Chaos Lord Command Trait) you need to be within 3" of an enemy before piling in (for the second time), so often quite easy for a decent opponent to take causalities to deny the second attack. Both abilities are crystal clear that they need to be within 3" to be selected for a second time and there aren't any abilities, traits or artefacts that effect those specific rules.

Grasping plate does let you run/retreat to a position over 3" away then pile in and attack (for the first time) without charging, which is great.

Apologies to both - I must be misunderstanding something. If it says "it is eligible to fight if it is within 6" of an enemy unit" why would that require it to be within 3" to pile in?

3 minutes ago, Spears said:

Its the wording of the abilities on the warscroll. "This unit can be picked to fight for a second time if it is within 3" of an enemy unit" 

Oh I see - fine but the threat range mentioned previously would still be 19", which is fairly good.

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

Is this you color scheme for the whole army?

Outstanding! Totally stoked by it.

Yep, but only have 8 models painted. The Demon prince will have a little more color, and things like the knights will look like the warriors, but their horses will be colored, etc.

Follow the true chaos god!

87098220_1680297125443511_5468526298852753408_o.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spears said:

10" move + 6"advance +6" pile-in with grasping plate = 22" threat range.  You don't need to charge to activate for combat w/grasping plate rule, so you can run to within 6".

Regarding the second pile-in, the wording of grasping plate modifies when you can be chosen in combat phase for activation to w/in 6".   I suppose that's not crystal clear w/how it combines with "Relentless Killers"  In my games I only every needed the 3" for the second pile-in anyway (or even more typically I had to use the second attack to keep fighting the first target). Doubt we'd get a FAQ on that.

3 hours ago, Snakeb1te said:

Hope that makes sense. 

10" move + 6" advance (for a cp if needed) + 6" pile in.  so 22" for first attack.

23 hours ago, Snakeb1te said:

With the balewind doesn't the number of casts go to 4?

The x20 is there to act as a screen basically, both for the wizards and the x40 group. This is a turtle list, so I want to bunker up and just spam the spells around the board, compounded further by the pink horror summon the Gaunt.S will have.

The reason I'm fine with low casts is because we can comfortably put those endless spells out with the casting ritual, but the opponent should in theory have trouble dispelling them (none of my opponents are magic heavy). The idea then is to summon them and have them running around the board, with the opponent struggling to extinguish them. I feel like I have enough horde clearing between the Manticore Sorcerer and the Summoner, and I also have plenty of screening (prismatic palisade too). Question is whether I can kill elites and heroes with the spells available.

The question is whether people feel I have enough ability to take objectives and deal damage. I'm also wondering whether the spells I've chosen will be sufficient/efficient. The Emerald Lifeswarm for instance, doesn't seem worth 50 points, but the idea is to regenerate whatever bodies the ritual claims from the marauders, or even heal the Manticore/Horrors in a pinch

A wizard can only cast 1 endless spell a turn, I wouldn't recommend taking more than 2 to 3.

Hey guys, just wondering, but is it still possible to get the Chaos Marauders to hit and wound on a 2+?  Or is that the old rules?

It was mentioned to me by a GW staffer at my local warhammer store, and so I've searched high and low, and with what I found, the lowest I can get it, is hitting on 2's thanks to horde rule and a Slaanesh daemon prince's Command Ability (though not ideal as you have to lose models first and that isn't helpful when marauders die so easily), and wounding on 4's :/ 

So I'm just wondering if I'm missing something? The most consistent I can make them is hitting on 3's, rerolling ones (due to khorne) and wounding on 3's. With possibly rerolling all hits and wounds due to Daemonic Power from a Sorcerer Lord.

Edited by TaurielBlack

8 hours ago, TaurielBlack said:

Hey guys, just wondering, but is it still possible to get the Chaos Marauders to hit and wound on a 2+?  Or is that the old rules?

It was mentioned to me by a GW staffer at my local warhammer store, and so I've searched high and low, and with what I found, the lowest I can get it, is hitting on 2's thanks to horde rule and a Slaanesh daemon prince's Command Ability (though not ideal as you have to lose models first and that isn't helpful when marauders die so easily), and wounding on 4's :/ 

So I'm just wondering if I'm missing something? The most consistent I can make them is hitting on 3's, rerolling ones (due to khorne) and wounding on 3's. With possibly rerolling all hits and wounds due to Daemonic Power from a Sorcerer Lord.

Only thing I can think to add is if the unit the Marauders are targeting have had savage bolt cast on them by Grashrak (WHU Beastmen shamen) which grants +1 to hit.

I realise a question like this has been asked before, but when it comes to modelling Bloodreavers as marauders how easy is it to remove khorne iconography?

From a thematic point of view i would rather play a 100% slaanesh army (Im not a tournement player), and while i dont hate the old marauder models, Bloodreavers are way better. I realise if i went undivided or khorne marauders then i wouldnt need to realistically change the models aside from adding a shield.