AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

36 minutes ago, PainfullyMediocre said:

I've got the same, they scale well next to Chaos Warriors and Knights. They'll get replaced with a heavily converted mix of Bloodreavers, Kairic Acolytes and Witch Aelves eventually.

What does everyone think of the Fist of the Everchosen army? I know its not technically not a Slaves army, but it has the same base pool of units to draw from.

The reroll charge command trait as well as the 6" pile in artefact look very strong, is just the tradeoff to get them is massive.  You lose allies, the Marks, spells, battleline options and Archaon.

Is this confirmed? In Warscroll builder the Knights of the Empty throne are pickable as a Legion.

1 hour ago, Snakeb1te said:

Can you clarify what you're referring to here?

Also I've just realised the Doom Sigil is almost completely pointless. Here's an example

• You summon it in your hero phase. 
  • At the end of your turn, you allocate attacks to your units.
  • You roll priority and elect to double-turn.
  • "Lasts until that player's next hero phase" means all the attacks you got in the previous turn are instantly removed.

What the heck? That seems pretty damn pointless - and I REALLY wanted this spell to work as there are a number of units which could benefit from +1 attack.

Yeah this seems incredibly stupid. Surely this is another oversight

20 minutes ago, Snakeb1te said:

Is this confirmed? In Warscroll builder the Knights of the Empty throne are pickable as a Legion.

The book says;

"When you are choosing a Slaves to Darkness army, you can decide if it is a Knights of the Empty Throne army and has the Knights of the Empty Throne allegiance instead of another allegiance.."

Slaves is an Alleigance, so by me reading you'd lose them. I hope the FAQ clears it up.

I am still hoping GW will introduce a subfaction that allows S2D to include other mortal Chaos units into our allegiance abilities (blightkings, Ssyl’esske, drones, bloodwarriors etc.). I‘d really love a „mortal Grand Alliance Chaos“ vibe ^^ (I really dig those models but I am not fond at all of starting those armies)

2 hours ago, Snakeb1te said:

Can you clarify what you're referring to here?

Also I've just realised the Doom Sigil is almost completely pointless. Here's an example

• You summon it in your hero phase. 
  • At the end of your turn, you allocate attacks to your units.
  • You roll priority and elect to double-turn.
  • "Lasts until that player's next hero phase" means all the attacks you got in the previous turn are instantly removed.

What the heck? That seems pretty damn pointless - and I REALLY wanted this spell to work as there are a number of units which could benefit from +1 attack.

So first of all you need to refresh on the difference between a turn and a round.  Then maybe you can wrap your head around the spell a little easier. I'd love to see the email you wrote to the faq crew about how pointless this spell is lol.

Screenshot_20200219-082400_WH AoS.jpg

1 hour ago, Stroke said:

So first of all you need to refresh on the difference between a turn and a round.  Then maybe you can wrap your head around the spell a little easier. I'd love to see the email you wrote to the faq crew about how pointless this spell is lol.

I don't feel as if I need a refresher..? The sigil buff is applied at the end of the turn and undone at the start of that player's hero phase. If that player has a double turn (me as the S2D player or my opponent) I will have gone through the effort of counting casualties, allocating attacks, picking units to get the buff... for nothing. That's just a bad gameplay experience, and pretty silly to cast an endless spell and not get anything for it for potentially two turns (I cast it at start of my turn 2, allocate attacks at end of turn 2. But I go first in battle round 3, lose all the attacks, and have to apply them all again at the end of my turn 3).

The other question will be to clarify whether the god battalions need a hero in addition to the x units, or whether the hero requirement can be fulfilled within the x units.

Any other reasonable points that people want me to bring up? I'm not going to mention points decreases or anything like that - this is rules interpretation only. 

I'll post back here if I get a response.

Edited by Snakeb1te
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Snakeb1te said:

I don't feel as if I need a refresher..? 

I guess you're right, as a refresher would imply that you ever understood the difference between a turn and a round. I even posted the rules reference to help you.... here I'll spell it out.

1. You roll for priority and win and take the first TURN in that ROUND... your opponent has the second TURN

2. You cast doom sigil

3. Finish your TURN... count up casualties roll and apply buff it lasts until your next hero phase

4. Your opponent takes there TURN... buff still active count up casualties THEY apply buff it lasts until their next hero phase

5. Roll for priority for the next ROUND... whoever gets the first TURN of that ROUND loses the buff on the targets they chose

6. Rinse and repeat as long as the spell is on the battlefield

Each buff lasts 2 combat phases unless you get a double turn

Edited by Stroke

5 minutes ago, Stroke said:

I guess you're right, as a refresher would imply that you ever understood the difference between a turn and a round

No need to be like that..

Think he is referring to taking the second turn of the first round, casting it, counting up, apply to unit.

But then getting the first turn in the second round, the buff will go away before being able to use it.

• Thanks 2

+++ MOD HAT +++

Just a nudge to please be tolerant when getting into the nitty gritty of explaining rule nuances.  We use quite a few words interchangeably within AoS (e.g. turn, round) so it's easy to misunderstand each other.  That isn't any reason to talk down to other members.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stroke said:

I guess you're right, as a refresher would imply that you ever understood the difference between a turn and a round. I even posted the rules reference to help you.... here I'll spell it out.

1. You roll for priority and win and take the first TURN in that ROUND... your opponent has the second TURN

2. You cast doom sigil

3. Finish your TURN... count up casualties roll and apply buff it lasts until your next hero phase

4. Your opponent takes there TURN... buff still active count up casualties THEY apply buff it lasts until their next hero phase

5. Roll for priority for the next ROUND... whoever gets the first TURN of that ROUND loses the buff on the targets they chose

6. Rinse and repeat as long as the spell is on the battlefield

Each buff lasts 2 combat phases unless you get a double turn

You're not wrong but as a member posted after you - I was referring to a double-turn situation. Sounds to me like you misunderstood so I'm not particularly offended, but I'm just going to point out that if you felt I was about to make a fool out of myself for emailing the errata team, you could've said so and explained why, rather than being sarcastic and posting the rules. I don't think I was coming across entitled so it was a little uncalled for.

45 minutes ago, Stroke said:

Ok so something is " completely pointless" because it is weighted to be better when someone double turns you? I'm sorry it just sounded like some nonsense.

If I interpret this somewhat charitably, you do have a point if what you're suggesting is that by electing to take the double-turn you're already getting enough of a benefit, and so it is by design that the sigil would have no effect.

But I'd argue that this would be a very disappointing 40 point endless spell then. The point remains however, that there can be situations where you go through the work of tallying it all up, only for the buff to disappear without it being used until your opponent's combat phase - that sounds a little awkward to be intended by the rules writers..

It should instead say "until the end of that player's next turn". This would allow the buff to be applied in my turn, and then rerolled/reapplied at the end of that turn going into the following one.

If anyone has additional points of query for the rules team do let me know.

Edited by Snakeb1te
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I'm not going to lie, my introduction to the Warhammer Fantasy universe was through Blood Bowl, as well as Warhammer Total War I and 2, so to me I've always loved the classic Chaos army. 

In Blood Bowl the classic chaos team is a bunch of Gors and Chaos Warriors with an optional Minotaur, which I love. In Total War Warhammer I loved using Chosen/Warriors and Knights with the old anvil and hammer just throw lines of Warriors/Chosen up to hold the line then smash into them with knights over and over (I also liked the Dragons tbh, but I don't think those exist in AOS) so a classic just knights and warriors/chosen army would be awesome for me, run as Khorne because Khorne is the best. 

I'm sad to see that Warriors aren't good (still). How are Chosen? How are the Lords on Manticore faring? The Ogroid Myrmidon seems awesome, and I just love the aesthetic of the classic Norscans with fur and trim and just being savage vikings, and chaos warriors. Total War: Warhammer II really sells that aesthetic and fantasy. Is such an army viable in AOS? 

Darkoath Chieftan, Darkoath Warqueen, Godsworn Hunt, Daemon Princes, etc.. I just love classic Chaos and I guess Chaos Undivided/Khorne :P 

Hi,

some questions to you:

1) What about Chariots? They seem to fit all your requirements. And I think they aren´t the worst selection out there.

2) What about Marauders. Though being old sculpts, they definetely look like "old chaos".

3) Marauder Horsemen are newer sculpts and should fit your theme. Why no mention here?

That being asked, I have to say that your theme will suffer from being a theme. Themed armies always lack the highest possible rate of synergies due to restricting the model selection. IMO if you like to run a theme, you can always get a workable army but seldom the most competetive one.

Therefore: go for it!

Chosen buff other Slaves to Darkness units, don´t overlook this. They offer a special kind of synergy you have to use to get the most out of them. IMO they are  strong, though slightly overcosted if compared to elite units from different armies.

As written by other members here, StD offer some wierd synergies. For example, why does Chaos Lord on Manticore buff warriors but no chosen?