AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

22 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

You cast the spell and end it's movement within 6", it can be removed and set up again within 6" of the other mirror. 

So the way I've always read it was the movement ends on the one side of the portal and then after that the spell gets set up on the other side. That would mean that nothing on the other side of the portal actually takes any damage because the endless spells hurt things they move over or end their movement near. Movement ended on the one side already, it doesn't continue until the spell is set up again on the other side. Could be wrong though. 

3 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Hey guys, I have a small question related to the new Start Collecting set for StD: it does have female heads, right? How many of these heads are included there, if so?

Nope.  No female heads.  1 helmeted head for the Lord, 1 bare male head for the Lord.  6 helmeted heads for the Knights.  10 helmeted heads for the Warriors, 10 bare male heads for the Warriors.

2 heads claim to be female but it is subtle and I don't think an opponent would notice.

But to answer the question: 2.

SLIGHT UPDATE ABOVE TO BE MORE ACCURATE.  And to admit I'm sorta kinda wrong lol.

Edited by begleysm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, begleysm said:

Nope.  No female heads.  16 helmeted heads.  16 male bare heads.  For 16 models.

Wrong. It includes two female heads for the Chaos Warriors.

on a different Note I‘ll be trying to rock this semi-competetive List at the end of the month (when my Sphiranx arrives) it‘ll include almost all the Models I want to play:

63D1148E-F365-4606-8FD3-D8F518D27D28.jpeg.1d16d3898171d914ae61077b2fdf7bbb.jpeg

Edited by JackStreicher
Spelling

58 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

Really? The official description mentions female heads, as do some reviews..?

6 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Wrong. It includes two female heads for the Chaos Warriors.

I went back and looked.  IMO you'd have to be pretty drunk to call those heads female.  To me they just look like males with long hair (and actually only 1 has long hair, the other is cropped pretty short).  But, whatever squeaks your duck.

I'd say the only reason the reviews say female heads is because the official description says female heads.  But I don't think any "normal person" across from you on the table would look at your 2 bare headed "female" models and assume they were female.

PS: I was a bit wrong in my count though, I went back and updated my original reply. (1 helmeted head for the Lord, 1 bare male head for the Lord.  6 helmeted heads for the Knights.  10 helmeted heads for the Warriors, 10 bare male heads for the Warriors. )  I guess if you are really desperate you could call 2 of the bare heads female, but I wouldn't.

Edited by begleysm

6 minutes ago, begleysm said:

I went back and looked.  IMO you'd have to be pretty drunk to call those heads female.  To me they just look like males with long hair.  But, whatever squeaks your duck.

Aha. 
01EA89FF-FA16-4C4E-BB36-BF020583C3A0.jpeg.ba8d6a8bb2a3aaca489b5073faee3f38.jpeg

the Dark skinned Warrior is pretty obviously female.

Edited by JackStreicher

Just now, JackStreicher said:

Aha. 
01EA89FF-FA16-4C4E-BB36-BF020583C3A0.jpeg.ba8d6a8bb2a3aaca489b5073faee3f38.jpeg

In my opinion the dark skinned face you highlighted is one of the "female" heads (but again, I don't think a competitor would instantly recognized that as female).  The other head you highlighted isn't "the other female head" IMO.  That "hair" is fur and is part of the helmeted head too (as shown just to the right).  The "other female head" (maybe) is probably this one

20200216_085847.jpg

16 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

You are right. But the heck!? I am rather certain my box did not contain that head o.O

Can't help you there.  It was on the sprue that I got.

@JackStreicher@PiotrW if you want to trade I'll send you a "female bare head" for a helmeted head from the Slaves to Darkness Start Collecting Box (except the one with the single central horn: warrior 16.  I already have 2 of those AND the one with the single top-knot and no horns: knight 6.  I already have 2 of those too).

51 minutes ago, begleysm said:

Can't help you there.  It was on the sprue that I got.

@JackStreicher@PiotrW if you want to trade I'll send you a "female bare head" for a helmeted head from the Slaves to Darkness Start Collecting Box (except the one with the single central horn: warrior 16.  I already have 2 of those AND the one with the single top-knot and no horns: knight 6.  I already have 2 of those too).

Interesting. Where do you live, exactly? I'm in Poland...

Hey, I have a general question about S2D. Does this army have any access to shooting? I usually prefer shooty armies but this one does not seem to have good shooting units, unless you consider alliance with Tzeentch, correct?

Edited by Rev

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

Hey, I have a general question about S2D. Does this army have any access to shooting? I usually prefer shooty armies but this one does not seem to have good shooting units, unless you consider alliance with Tzeentch, correct?

Soulgrinder, Javelins on Marauder Horsemen, maybe something else. Its more a melee oriented army.

• Like 1

Well and the new Rock throwing guy as well as a hero or two. 

You're barking up the wrong tree looking for shooting units in Slaves to Darkness. If you give them the Tzeentch keyword you could build a list with some units from the new Disciples of Tzeentch book which is more on the shooting side of things.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rev said:

try  3 soulgrinders with Syll’Esske battalion "steel" something , +1 to hit and +1 SV , thats hedonites od slaanesh but almost all unit in S2D can be used there

How are Chaos Knights and Chaos Warriors now? 

Used to keep wanting to use them for Khorne and people kept saying they were bad for one reason or another, but have they gotten any better these days? 

They still work with my Blades of Khorne book right and can count as Khorne and be part of a Khorne army supported by Khorne heroes...right? Love me some classic chaos warriors and knights. Been wanting to run them... Been told they're worse than Blood Warriors, etc.. too :/

20 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

How are Chaos Knights and Chaos Warriors now? 

Used to keep wanting to use them for Khorne and people kept saying they were bad for one reason or another, but have they gotten any better these days? 

They still work with my Blades of Khorne book right and can count as Khorne and be part of a Khorne army supported by Khorne heroes...right? Love me some classic chaos warriors and knights. Been wanting to run them... Been told they're worse than Blood Warriors, etc.. too :/

They‘re okay but overcosted ^^ (and somewhat too weak for what you’d expect of them lore-wise)

31 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

They‘re okay but overcosted ^^ (and somewhat too weak for what you’d expect of them lore-wise)

The rough thing, I believe, is that you don't have that many more options. StD doesn't have many anvils or mobile "tanks". You could play more Marauders instead of Warriors, but this can quickly fall apart. And Marauder on Horsemen give you some mobility and a slight ranged threat, but will instantly disappear if caught.

It's the main reason I run them despite being overcosted. I need an anvil-like unit I can run to the middle of the map/important objective, or resist for a while as the Marauders flank. And Knights can at least somewhat reliably run to an objective and hold it for a while, even do some damage with smth such as Khorne mark or so.

1 hour ago, Gistradagis said:

The rough thing, I believe, is that you don't have that many more options. StD doesn't have many anvils or mobile "tanks". You could play more Marauders instead of Warriors, but this can quickly fall apart. And Marauder on Horsemen give you some mobility and a slight ranged threat, but will instantly disappear if caught.

It's the main reason I run them despite being overcosted. I need an anvil-like unit I can run to the middle of the map/important objective, or resist for a while as the Marauders flank. And Knights can at least somewhat reliably run to an objective and hold it for a while, even do some damage with smth such as Khorne mark or so.

Point for point - marauders are superior in almost every way. You can make warriors work but I use them more for fluff/aesthetics than for any real gaming reason.

6 minutes ago, NJohansson said:

Point for point - marauders are superior in almost every way. You can make warriors work but I use them more for fluff/aesthetics than for any real gaming reason.

Marauders are superior in every way except the one that matters for the purpose I'm speaking of: resilience. Either as an anvil or to hold an objective, Chaos Warriors are just more reliable. You can't expect them to do any damage whatsoever, but they should be able to hold against most units for quite a while.

38 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

Marauders are superior in every way except the one that matters for the purpose I'm speaking of: resilience. Either as an anvil or to hold an objective, Chaos Warriors are just more reliable. You can't expect them to do any damage whatsoever, but they should be able to hold against most units for quite a while.

On paper yes - I agree with that but unfortunately I get 40 marauders for the cost of 15 warriors. So even when it comes to holding objectives the marauders will most likely be a better choice most of the time. They loose out to spells damaging per model (sorcerer lord on Manticore, Gaunt etc) but otherwise they are a better screen, anvil and hammer than warriors. Saying that - you can definitely get warriors to work (and they are no terrible choice) but point per point you will most likely always want the marauders. Not to mention - if you need a real anvil then a gaunt summoner with his free horrors will give you 50 wounds for 200 points and 40-60 points extra for a great wizard (240-260 points for the summoner).

3 minutes ago, NJohansson said:

On paper yes - I agree with that but unfortunately I get 40 marauders for the cost of 15 warriors. So even when it comes to holding objectives the marauders will most likely be a better choice most of the time. They loose out to spells damaging per model (sorcerer lord on Manticore, Gaunt etc) but otherwise they are a better screen, anvil and hammer than warriors. Saying that - you can definitely get warriors to work (and they are no terrible choice) but point per point you will most likely always want the marauders. Not to mention - if you need a real anvil then a gaunt summoner with his free horrors will give you 50 wounds for 200 points and 40-60 points extra for a great wizard (240-260 points for the summoner).

Well, I've found them serviceable enough. While Marauders are more tempting, I fear the enemy getting to them first or using some damaging spell and destroying half the unit in a single turn, almost completely nullifying their use. At the end of the day, despite how much I hate that Chaos Warriors are a huge blob of blandness, I feel like unless I get really unlucky they'll do their job, while a unit of Marauders can be such a gamble.

To be fair, I do also play Marauders; they are the hammer. Regarding the Gaunt Summoner, while he can certainly "cheese" it, I already have some magic support with a Wizard on Foot who will use his great ability every turn, and Be'Lakor, so I prefer a unit that can take Khorne's mark and be positively resilient, despite not being good in any other way.