AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

Fellow followers of the Dark Gods. I have a question, currently painting my start collecting which is 

- 10 warriors 200pts

- 5 knights 180pts

- lord on karka 250pts

Aiming for 1000points army - thinking of getting a foot sorcerer & Slaughterbrute or Sorcerer Lord on Chimera - what you think ?

Or maybe something else - has to be cool to play (and pref non-horde), don't have to be OP.

Sorcerers are always good, we have some nice spells. 

I just built the chimera. You can build both the lord and sorcerer and just switch them. But I haven't tried any of them yet. Might be a bit pricey for how squishy it is with the sorceror maybe? 

Can't speak for the slaughterbrute or vortex beast except they look cool. And if you want lots of Monsters you might want to consider playing as Despoilers for that 4+ heal on all your big boys. Which means you'll want a daemon prince too.

Daemon princes are great with their new warscroll (I liked them in Blades of Khorne before the change, and I love them now!).  And they get lots of love in a Despoiler army.

Edited by Mikeymajq

11 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Hey everyone, 

I am new to the community and I have a question that seems fairly obviousyet, I am finding it difficult to find a specific answer. If I use a Gaunt Summoner in a Ravagers list are they able to use the Rally the Tribes command ability?  I assume they can't because they have the Everchosen Keyword but I have seen some people stating some conflicting opinions on the subject. 

I apologize, if this is a silly question or if it has been asked already.

I don't see why not. They are a StD hero. So on the turn they are the general they should be able to use the ability.  (And, yes, it seems to me that means that Gaunt Summoners are summoning a whooping 60 wounds of stuff for free! (summoning 10 pink horrors with their new war scroll ultimately turn into 50 wounds + 10 wounds of marauders).  

Query: Is a 4x Gaunt Summoner list game-breaking?

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

I don't see why not. They are a StD hero. So on the turn they are the general they should be able to use the ability.  (And, yes, it seems to me that means that Gaunt Summoners are summoning a whooping 60 wounds of stuff for free! (summoning 10 pink horrors with their new war scroll ultimately turn into 50 wounds + 10 wounds of marauders).  

Query: Is a 4x Gaunt Summoner list game-breaking?

So you bring 4 Gaunt Summoners, each of whom has 2 casts each.  Do you reaaaally want to run them in ravagers so you can... pass around which is general and spreads the Tzeench aura, just for a few extra wounds?  Or would you rather run them in Cabalists so you can sacrifice some marauders/cultists and get a d3 bonus to cast?

As for being game breaking, I mean, yeah, you can throw 200 extra wounds on the board.  However, you are going to struggle to put them into a battalion, which means that you are going to struggle to go first.  And until you manage to go and drop those pinks, you are very vulnerable to someone going first and sniping one of them.  They are a 6 wound model with only a 6+ save.  And you don't really want to stick them on the very back of your board, because then those pinks that you summon won't be doing anything useful until turn 3-4, but you still somehow have to screen them from shooting and mortal wounds.  I have Stormcast, Cities of Sigmar, and Khadron Overlords as my other armies, and all 3 of them have ways that they can easily take out 1-2 summoners on the first turn.  Sure, good screening can prevent some other armies from getting to them, but enough armies can that I would bet that games would end up being very lopsided, and mostly decided before the game begin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, readercolin said:

So you bring 4 Gaunt Summoners, each of whom has 2 casts each.  Do you reaaaally want to run them in ravagers so you can... pass around which is general and spreads the Tzeench aura, just for a few extra wounds?  Or would you rather run them in Cabalists so you can sacrifice some marauders/cultists and get a d3 bonus to cast?

As for being game breaking, I mean, yeah, you can throw 200 extra wounds on the board.  However, you are going to struggle to put them into a battalion, which means that you are going to struggle to go first.  And until you manage to go and drop those pinks, you are very vulnerable to someone going first and sniping one of them.  They are a 6 wound model with only a 6+ save.  And you don't really want to stick them on the very back of your board, because then those pinks that you summon won't be doing anything useful until turn 3-4, but you still somehow have to screen them from shooting and mortal wounds.  I have Stormcast, Cities of Sigmar, and Khadron Overlords as my other armies, and all 3 of them have ways that they can easily take out 1-2 summoners on the first turn.  Sure, good screening can prevent some other armies from getting to them, but enough armies can that I would bet that games would end up being very lopsided, and mostly decided before the game begin.

I don't have the models anyway to try it. But 200 free wounds! I mean, it feels like it at least deserves some field testing. 

You still have 1000 more points after the Gaunts. Maybe something fast and somewhat tanky. FWIW I'd hide the Gaunts behind terrain at deployment. Obviously, one would have the teleport spell. 

I don't know. Someone else can fill-out the details. Not my play style anyway.  

Edited by annarborhawk

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

What would people say is the best weapon choice for varanguard? I'd be tempted to go with daemonbound weapons, but I want to hear what others think.

Ensorcelled weapons in Sixth circle. They're the best choice unless you really really hate Mortek and nothing else in the game, in which case take Fellspears.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

What would people say is the best weapon choice for varanguard? I'd be tempted to go with daemonbound weapons, but I want to hear what others think.

If you just use the unit without any extra things to consider (like circles), then daemonbound is the right choice IMO. If you play them with circles, I think ensorcelled weapons would trump that option.

• Thanks 1

I really like a strong core of

1x Daemon Prince

1x Belakor

whispers

1x Sorcerer lord

20x marauders

20x marauders

20x marauders

15x warriors

Godsworn champions of ruin battalion

this feels like a strong core no matter what i want to run i’m curious what you all think. Go despoilers and the demon prince slaps. Solid chaff and a crunchy warrior anvil with some disruption by belakor

want tzeench? Pick up kairos or a  gaunt summoner and a cursling plus some endless spells

want khorne? Bloodthirster secrator swap the sorcerer with a lord. And add some warriors or more marauders. Alternatively drop the bloodthirster grab a darkoath queen and more marauders

nurgle? Harbinger of decay, lord of blights and a warshrine. Now your anvil is tough as hell. 

Slaanesh a few epitomes and you got a potent spell casting army again. You  could also run hell striders and a keeper and itd be similar to khorne. But the fast. 

Im curious to what you all think about something like this and if anyone has run this

Edited by Bozly

3 hours ago, Enoby said:

I have tried both Ensorcelled Weapons and Daemonforged Weapons (I modeled my Varanguard with the Ensorcelled since I think they look better).  Both games they charged into a unit of Vulkite Berserkers buffed by a couple of Heroes.  The Ensorcelled Weapons did much better.  However, I think that was due to hitting something with a 2+ Save, and I may have forgot the Daemonbound ability once (don't know if I rolled a 6 or not when I did).

I think I will probably stick with WYSIWYG since I like the control of forcing my opponent to make lots of Saves.  Which for targets that have good Saves I think Ensorcelled Weapons work better via weight of attacks.  Which is fine my me, I have plenty of ways to cause Wounds, but few ways to punch through good Saves as easy.  I also think Ensorcelled Weapons are going to give a much more reliable amount of damage (if lower overall) that I can count on compared to the other weapon options.

I think Daemonforged Blades are probably going to deliver the most damage, most the time.  However, they are also very likely to be prone to both huge swings of damage spikes and wiffs by their very nature.  With half the attacks of Ensorcelled Weapons and randomly determined damage, it is entirely possible for them to only deliver 1/3 the pain even with Daemonbound since 6s may or may not happen.  At the same time, if everything is going right, these weapons can deliver a devastating amount of damage.  I think I am less likely to 'count as' Daemonforged Weapons since I want my Varagaurd picking out the biggest baddest threat on the table to fight which usually means good damage mitigation.  Probably not as needed with Archaon since he can do that better than Varanguard, but my army is built around Warriors and Knights so I don't have good concentrated damage that works well vs. high save/FNP type units.

I skipped the Fellspears as I already don't really care much for Cursed Lance Knights (even though I fielded the every game so far).  Again, they can be good but take effort and outside of a Charge have some downsides and kinda useless advantages (2" range) for a 3 man unit compared to the other options.  I think if Varangaurd didn't cost all the moneys, I could see me getting a unit of 6 together which would probably punch a hole in just about any opponent's line.  That's a lot of points though into a single unit that is going to have a bullseye painted on its back.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bloodmoon said:

Ensorcelled weapons in Sixth circle. They're the best choice unless you really really hate Mortek and nothing else in the game, in which case take Fellspears.

9 out 10 times the Sixth Circle is my preferred one. But sometimes flight (8 Circle) is really game changing... Getting blocked by Endless Spells/other models can really mess with your plans sometimes.

I'm assembling units for my Ravagers list which for now looks like the following:

X1 Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount, Slaanesh

X1 Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Foot, Undivided

X10 Chaos Warriors w/Hand Weapon and Shield, Undivided

X20 Chaos Marauders

X2 x5 Chaos Knights w/Halberds, Slaanesh

I am wondering what people build their Chaos Marauders with? I'm not necessarily looking to be super competitive but I would like some tips. I also have 10 unbuilt Chaos Marauder Horsemen that I'm also wondering about. I have a unit of 5 with Javelins already assembled.

On another question, so summoned units come with marks? So I can summon Chaos Marauder Horsemen marked by Slaanesh with the Ravager ability?

Word of Caution for players using Varangaurd and going up against Bonereapers! IF they are running the catapult never deploy your Varanguard in a straight line during setup.  The catapult has a shot that can target the center model, kill it and you lose coherency thus losing 200 points of Varanguard first turn.  It happened to me.   Be sure to stagger or set them up in a "zigzag" formation so that if one is shot neither of the others must be killed to coherency.

he must have got very lucky, needed an 8 on two dice to actually get that. To expand on your point OBR is actually why I wouldn't run Varanguard competitively - everything except for Mortek Guard Varanguard can mulch through in 1 turn(maaaaybe two) they bounce right off Mortek and make fools of themselves, and with OBR being such a dominant part of the meta, it makes Varanguard a hard pick, even when they are super good against everything else. 

7 hours ago, Bozly said:

I really like a strong core of

1x Daemon Prince

1x Belakor

whispers

1x Sorcerer lord

20x marauders

20x marauders

20x marauders

15x warriors

I like it but how many points is it?  The full 2K?  I love the idea of having a solid core of an army that you can then pad out to a full 2k force with a few tweaks and additions.  I think you need a chaos shrine in there as it is the kind of unit that fits into any army, especially with all those mortal units.

20 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

Sorcerers are always good, we have some nice spells. 

I just built the chimera. You can build both the lord and sorcerer and just switch them. But I haven't tried any of them yet. Might be a bit pricey for how squishy it is with the sorceror maybe? 

Can't speak for the slaughterbrute or vortex beast except they look cool. And if you want lots of Monsters you might want to consider playing as Despoilers for that 4+ heal on all your big boys. Which means you'll want a daemon prince too.

Daemon princes are great with their new warscroll (I liked them in Blades of Khorne before the change, and I love them now!).  And they get lots of love in a Despoiler army.

So which is the better option (for me both look cool :D ), or maybe someone can suggest what to buy to raise my start collecting army to 1k points.

dbce07e0.jpg

What do you think about the new guy in our army? (rule wise please, because miniature wise it is a superb addition to the StD range).

My 2cts: I think that we have already many good characters, that are expensive (in pts). So, it'll be difficult to add  this one especially compared to lords, wizzards and princes...(Even worse if you add a gaunt lol)

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

dbce07e0.jpg

What do you think about the new guy in our army? (rule wise please, because miniature wise it is a superb addition to the StD range).

My 2cts: I think that we have already many good characters, that are expensive (in pts). So, it'll be difficult to add  this one especially compared to lords, wizzards and princes...(Even worse if you add a gaunt lol)

Give him wings call it a Daemon Prince.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

17 hours ago, Death1942 said:

I like it but how many points is it?  The full 2K?  I love the idea of having a solid core of an army that you can then pad out to a full 2k force with a few tweaks and additions.  I think you need a chaos shrine in there as it is the kind of unit that fits into any army, especially with all those mortal units.

The core is 1490

a warshrine is good but gets pretty expensive. Like lets say we want to go endless spells with this. By time we put in kaiross and a few endless spells or we do the gaunt summoner and a cursling so we have excellent anti magic and 10 pink horrors (which fun fact: is a 50 wound tarpit unit for free)  we’re out of points the sorcerers buff gets us just barely by

i really love the warshrine in the nurgle or khorne iterations of the list even slaanesh if its more infantry focused. But its still the opportunity cost of that vs a keeper a bloodthirster and multiple epitomes 

that’s my favorite part about this book so many options are good its hard to decide whats the best. You arent really wrong with any decision