AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

Varanguard batallion lets you have each unit be from a different circle than other units if you wish if you have the Archaon "clan", or lets you choose one if you are in a different one, like Cabalists. 

Still, have to say which circle at list building, not in the deployment.

25 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Big haha to the guy who called me an idiot when I said they’d change Chaos warriors to one weapon option in the FAQ 😅

I know right?  People were adamant and saying there's no way it could be translated any other way.  Common sense dictated it was no mixed weapons.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Haldawe said:

Varanguard batallion lets you have each unit be from a different circle than other units if you wish if you have the Archaon "clan", or lets you choose one if you are in a different one, like Cabalists. 

Still, have to say which circle at list building, not in the deployment.

Doesn't it require host of the everchosen Varanguard to even buy the battalion though?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

So what's the best chaos warrior load out now? I'm probably going for shields since the new models are the nicest.

Seems so.

Great weapons are worse chosen and double weapons are useless with sorc/shrine reroll.

Come to think of it, they didn't clarify if shrine giving any buff regardless of mark was correct.

59 minutes ago, skeen77 said:

I know right?  People were adamant and saying there's no way it could be translated any other way.  Common sense dictated it was no mixed weapons.

It was that you could definitely mix weapons as per previous FAQs. That's why they had to do an errata and reword it. Otherwise they would have made it a question and given that answer that all models had the same weapon. It was worded in a way that you could mix weapons.

People who said you could mix weapons were completely correct they changed that.

16 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

So what's the best chaos warrior load out now? I'm probably going for shields since the new models are the nicest.

Shield if you have outside buffs from a word Lord or warscrhine for your rerolls arguments can be made for the 2" weapon in big units.

40 minutes ago, Spears said:

I think it could legitimately be 0 points without breaking anything.

It's be a 0 pt artifact and cp and reduced drop count.  Many if not most battalions a e taken for thier impact on drop, artifacts, and cp and less so on the ability they provide.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

It's be a 0 pt artifact and cp and reduced drop count.  Many if not most battalions a e taken for thier impact on drop, artifacts, and cp and less so on the ability they provide.

Its a minimal drop reduction and you can only actually use the second artefact if realm artefacts are in play and you are running two characters other than Archaon.  So realistically that probably looks like:

Archaon 800

Varanguard * 3 900

sorcerer lord 110

lord 110

Total 1920

leaving a whopping 80 points to spend elsewhere and still being 4 drops. Like I say its certainly not likely to break anything. 

Edited by Spears

4 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Disappointed they went the laziest route possible in 'fixing' the Nurgle Daemon Prince. It should have been changed to 1 MW per 6 to hit. But now it's just a useless ability that no one in their right mind would ever use.

Not much different from the tzeentch one to be honest. I get the feeling they never really intended for the daemon prince to be particularly effective, but then the khorne command ability is still there... So I'm not really sure. Maybe it's meant to compensate for not being able to take a khorne marked wizard?  

3 hours ago, Karnich said:

Man this FAQ makes me sad. Why touch Archaon? He was just fine. And they didnt even clarify if he has all the marks or not.

Overlords battallion nerfed to utter uselessness. Also now you cant even give them a circle outside of Archaons subfaction ?

Nurgle DP nerfed to the ground.

I am confused here.

The units have always been played like the FAq's. Technically they are not nerfed.

Everything else was bending the rules anyways. The DP should always have been played against melee wounds since puss is not spraying 24".

The real problem is that the book itself is incredible weak and lazy written. 

All of our High point values are connected to available buffs, which are all to roll for randomly.

Alone the Warshrine battaillon makes me want to strangle someone.

The roll a D6 for every unit 24" on a 6 is a mortal wound must be a joke. A WAY better battalion would be: 

"All Warshrines in this battalion get their abilities off on a 2 + instead a 3+" This would create a useful battalion without overpowering something.

But yeah, why put effort into a faction that starved for 6 years, when we can create new Stormcast content.

Edited by Kurrilino
  • LOVE IT! 1

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but how, if at all, does the errata change to the aura of chaos allegiance ability affect Archaon? He doesn't have the Mark of Chaos keyword, which apparently you must have to choose an aura, but he also has all of the chaos god keywords which is the purpose of the Mark of Chaos rule. Same thing for the Gaunt Summoner...does this mean that he cannot project an aura at all, or is it like I was reading it before that the only aura he can project is a Tzeentch one?

1 minute ago, Petroos said:

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but how, if at all, does the errata change to the aura of chaos allegiance ability affect Archaon? He doesn't have the Mark of Chaos keyword, which apparently you must have to choose an aura, but he also has all of the chaos god keywords which is the purpose of the Mark of Chaos rule. Same thing for the Gaunt Summoner...does this mean that he cannot project an aura at all, or is it like I was reading it before that the only aura he can project is a Tzeentch one?

You have to chose a god at the beginning of the game for Archaeon. The Gaunt summoner is Tzeench only.

It's funny. All the posters that got on my back when I said the book was poor are gone. And, I'm still sitting here with a pile of warscroll cards and notes on allegiance abilities trying to figure it out. 

The tome is so disjointed, they even significantly nerfed the most unique subfaction in the game (Everchosen) into 3rd quartile mediocrity. 

I think we can safely call Slaves to Darkness a failure.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spears said:

Its a minimal drop reduction and you can only actually use the second artefact if realm artefacts are in play and you are running two characters other than Archaon.  So realistically that probably looks like:

Archaon 800

Varanguard * 3 900

sorcerer lord 110

lord 110

Total 1920

leaving a whopping 80 points to spend elsewhere and still being 4 drops. Like I say its certainly not likely to break anything. 

So this actually is a good drop amount. You'll out drop a number of top meta list so long as you stay under 5 drops.  Every pick over 6 sees your chances of out dropping a random tournament opponent considerably.

6 drops for instance will see you out dropped by all of my lists save for one of my skaven list, and some likey deepkin are brutal if you get out dropped.

Where as 4 drops put you under everything but my tzneetch list.

4-5 drops or less is the only time you should care about drop 6 and more I wouldn't even think about my drop count and focus more on just making the list as solid as possible.

Just got this guy and turned him into a Chaos Lord:

336752553_6bf1d601-2f5f-4fa6-a2dc-1bdc79

https://www.tradera.com/item/341006/381359278/chaos-hero-warhammer-fantasy-age-of-sigmar-9th-age-kings-of-war-mordheim-

FNnh3gu-gWv-rCLAkKXixgXIFAFGdnh9bs3ceLHm0AVOZnA4YLjBu4vn-GuQYNnah5MbeSj1H-66QIPo

Was considering using the original flails at first but the resin chains were not of proper length so would have required rebending and gluing 2 together for each weapon, so I used my spare parts to make the superior weapon option instead! Still some work to be done but I need to let the green stuff on the base harden first.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brucimus said:

Yeah, I don't understand the wording and reasoning for this change at all.

So you choose a keyword for your varanguard units, then the battalion allows you to override it before the battle starts?

Or am I missing something?

I think the point is rather than all Varanguard units having to come from the same Circle, you can make each unit of Varanguard come from a different Circle. But this happens at list building level.

I can't see how it's worth the points anymore, if it ever was.  Sixth Circle is still the clear choice. Would you pay a huge tax so one unit can fly instead of getting the extra damage? I can't imagine it. 

Edited by annarborhawk
  • Like 1

It would've been very useful to give the circle abilities outside of that single faction which already gets it. I thought initially that that was the intent, but yes, as is it's pretty lackluster.

Im still glad they nerfed the nurgle do ability though......coulda been on 6s to save or something to make it still somewhat useful but the previous was too strong by a mile. 

Marauders with that buff alone would mathatically beat every unit in the game on a point for point trade. It was horrifying. No army should have  1cp: you win target fight. It sucks now but will be better for balance down the road.