AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

35 minutes ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Oh yeah brain ******, forgot you were playing Nurgle. Bloated Blessings and Ensorcelled weapons are definitely the way to go.

That list is very unforgiving and it’s taken me a few games to figure it out and it will be sometime before I nail it down for how I like to play.

Your targets for Bloated Blessing are paramount and while you might fool someone once they catch on pretty quick in the next game. 

Having to take 7 units for the battalion is my biggest issue and I am not convinced it’s worth the restriction and 180 points. However, very few of the other battalions feel that great to me so far. 

What's you guys opinion on the Manticore? I got a hold of last years battleforce (godsworn warband), and looking at the warscrolls I'm kind of not impressed by it's prowess or survivability. 🤔

The sorceror version has a really mean spell though. So I'm leaning towards that one. Or doing my first magnetisation if it's easy to do.

36 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

What's you guys opinion on the Manticore? I got a hold of last years battleforce (godsworn warband), and looking at the warscrolls I'm kind of not impressed by it's prowess or survivability. 🤔

The sorceror version has a really mean spell though. So I'm leaning towards that one. Or doing my first magnetisation if it's easy to do.

Just built the manticore - if you don't glue down the rider, it is really easy to either leave him off or swap between the Sorcerer and the Lord - no magnetization needed.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

How is everyone approaching the modelling with their new SC boxes? It seems like the preferred options for warriors is a pair of hand weapons and the preferred weapons for knights is ensorcelled weapons. Obviously neither of these are available in the monopose kits. 

Are people just dealing with it and building armies with lances and shields or are there any good conversions going on?

3 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

It’s the easiest model I’ve ever done

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JoltUK said:

How is everyone approaching the modelling with their new SC boxes? It seems like the preferred options for warriors is a pair of hand weapons and the preferred weapons for knights is ensorcelled weapons. Obviously neither of these are available in the monopose kits. 

Are people just dealing with it and building armies with lances and shields or are there any good conversions going on?

I wouldn’t do pair of hand weapons just because there is so many sources of that buff.

Lances are better than Ensorcelled if you target something you can delete or if you have a teleport spell.

RAW; you can mix any of the battleline units’ weapon options.

17 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Alright.... I am working hard on getting this army up and running - I might start a blog soon 

24 to go!

Hide contents

001F46F3-162C-4213-8761-D748AFC22520.jpeg.b6f23a1af23f9a0c1b31a5fa2b01ead2.jpeg
F766D742-4A1E-45E9-82FE-66459DBC090C.jpeg.30bda33d935eadc757dbf2a7e42574ce.jpeg

Are you using them as Marauders or Bloodreavers? I’m struggling with the decision  as to what army to run and which to ally in, and I’m thinking about using Bloodreavers as Marauders since I’m gonna use the Mark of Khorne. 

Whats your thoughts on different base sizes on the aforementioned units? It would be great to not have to rebase in any direction in case I would change my mind...

45 minutes ago, Slaktor said:

Are you using them as Marauders or Bloodreavers? I’m struggling with the decision  as to what army to run and which to ally in, and I’m thinking about using Bloodreavers as Marauders since I’m gonna use the Mark of Khorne. 

Whats your thoughts on different base sizes on the aforementioned units? It would be great to not have to rebase in any direction in case I would change my mind...

I use Bloodreavers and I upgraded them with shields.

I had to rebase them though which wasn‘t an issue (25mm) it‘s also easy to go back up on 32mm bases (if you feel lazy you can just glue the 25mm atop the 32mm bases)

Edited by JackStreicher
Spelling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Looks like Split is no longer tied to fate points, and Pinks are probably going to remain wizards, making them likely the best option for Gaunt Summoner.

If their new Locus of Change ability is tied to the Warscroll enemies will also be at a -1 to hit them if they stay near the Summoner.

Locus is like alliegence, but yes a tree 50 wound unit even if it has no save is a good unit to have.

What do you guys think of Archaon? Or more specifically, Archaon in Host of the Everchosen. People have told me he isnt competitive, but I think in a correctly built list his control over the turn order could completely break games in your favor. (along with making Marauders even better cause they dont take BS)

3 hours ago, Bloodmoon said:

What do you guys think of Archaon? Or more specifically, Archaon in Host of the Everchosen. People have told me he isnt competitive, but I think in a correctly built list his control over the turn order could completely break games in your favor. (along with making Marauders even better cause they dont take BS)

He should be fine if you run him as Nurgle and bring a Chaos Lord to let him attack twice.

Tip: Slayer of Kings works if your second 6 comes after his second attack.

Hi all,

I spoiled myself by buying Mierce’s Mammoth with Wartower this December. Furthermore, I got the SC box for Christmas, and already got 15 proxies which can serve as Marauders and a sorcerer lord. I also already have the Warqueen. My next big purchase will probably be one of Mierce’s Demon Prince models. 

I’d like my army to have the classic Undivided chaos and barbarian look, and do not really like the God-themed (demon) armies. This could result in the following army list. Any pointers?

Legion: Ravagers

Extra Command Point Purchased (50pts)

Chaos Lord on Karkarak 250 pts
General
Artefact: Cloak of the Relentless Conqueror Command Trait: Eternal Vendetta
Mark of Chaos: Undivided
Aura of Chaos: Aura of Chaos Undivided

Chaos Sorcerer Lord 110 pts
Command Trait: Bolstered by Hate

Darkoath Chieftain 90 pts
Command Trait: Flames of Spite

Darkoath Warqueen 90 pts 
Command Trait: Favoured of the Pantheon

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince 210 pts
Mark of Chaos: Khorne
Aura of Chaos: Aura of Khorne

Chaos Knights 180 pts
Quantity: 5
Upgrade: Doom Knight Upgrade: Hornblower Upgrade: Standard Bearer Weapon: Cursed Flail Weapon: Cursed Lance Mark of Chaos: Undivided

Chaos Knights 180 pts
Upgrade: Doom Knight Upgrade: Hornblower Upgrade: Standard Bearer Weapon: Cursed Flail Weapon: Cursed Lance Mark of Chaos: Undivided

Chaos Marauders 150 pts
Quantity: 20
Upgrade: Barbarian Drummer Upgrade: Icon Bearer Upgrade: Marauder Chieftain Mark of Chaos: Undivided

Chaos Warriors 100 pts
Upgrade: Aspiring Champion Upgrade: Hornblower
Upgrade: Standard Bearer Weapon: Chaos Hand Weapon(s) Mark of Chaos: Undivided

Chaos Warriors 100 pts

Chaos War Mammoth 320 pts

Chaos Warshrine 170 pts
Quantity: 1

Total 2000pts

Thanks in advance!

On 1/1/2020 at 3:24 AM, JoltUK said:

1h or Halberd and Shield seems the best honestly, Sorcerer Lords are a solid choice and give rerolls, the mortal wounds saves are also more value than they appear.

I havent personally used Halberds as im waiting on the new CW box (Which i assume will be released in the near future) but i would assume if you are running 15+ blobs then they would be better, although given the size of CW bases im not sure how much extra can be achieved by the extra 1". In theory the extra attacks especially when combines with a sorcerer lords rerolls should help with their weaker hit rolls.

On 12/25/2019 at 12:47 AM, Smooth criminal said:

They have A LOT of buffs you can stack.

+1 hit from Archaon, +1 wound from Khorne makes them 2+/2+.

Then you reroll 1s from Khorne for hit and reroll 1s for wound from Archaon.

So basically everything they put out goes through. At this point it becomes the issue of taking the biggest stick they can have and gettin off a charge with it.

With lances that's 25 wounds on the charge with rend -2. That's a dead any unit other than buffed death star ones and if anything is left standing they can repeat for free, they are durable enough to survive retalation. Circle gives you another 9 wounds or you make take the fly to get around screens.

Archaon can give them death frenzy to circumvent fight first enemies.

They are not unbeatable, but list of Archaon+Varanguard is surely playable on some level. Maybe even the list with circle battalion instead of Archaon. That's honestly all the people who bought bunch of varanguard dreamed of, hence the hype.

Hallo. How do you get it to +2/+2? i only get it to +1/+2

+1 hit from Varangaurds own ability (Favoured of the everchosen)

+1 wound from Khorne Auro (if general is wholly 18') and re-roll 1 on hits

+1 wound +1 rend from Varangaurd charge (Impaling Charge)

how do you get the re-roll wound and +1 hits from Archaon?

I need some input, feel free to correct me if I get something wrong.
My Model range of S2T is currently rather limited and I usually play them as mono Slaanesh (10 Chaos Warriors, 5 Knights, 3 Varanguard, Chaso War Mammoth, Warshrine, Choas Lord on Kraka & on Foot, Chaos Mage, 6 Harpies, Iron Golems, Untamed Beasts, Daemon Prince) 
My Arch-Frenemy is the Big Waagh! which is a hard nut to crack with S2D.
In terms of efficiency (esp. VS the Waagh but also in general) I am currenlty at a loss concerning how to use some units without relying on multiple buffs.
The mentioned units:
Chaos Warriors - They can tank damage IF you use 10+ of them which is just too expensive to be parked on an objective. They really need more damage somehow.
Chaos Knights - Lances are plainly rubbish, you lose out on too much compared to swords, swords are okayish but only a 4+ save for 180 pts? These need a 20 pts points drop, or more damage/tankiness.
Chaos Sorcerers - They're okay, though I couldn't find a way to make one cast twice or grant them a bonus to cast (while not being part of the Kabalist Subfaction)
Daemon Princes - Well...they're okay as a General in a Despoiler Subfaction but let's be real: 210 points? If they were Sorcerers as well that might be justified. More damage or a way to make one a sorcerer would be what's needed.

It feels to me like I am missing something important since most units just seem to be rather bad (compared to Orruks, I haven't had a lot of issues against any other faction really). It feels like no matter what I do the orrk player always has more bodies, more damage, more tankiness, better magic, more speed and I feel really handicapped when facing them (it's like playing against an enemy while fileding 500 points less in a 2000 point game).

Clear question: Do you have ideas and input on how to use the named units more effectively without having to invest a lot amount of Command Points and Auras to make them being worth their points?

9 hours ago, MessiahJohnson said:

Hi all,

I spoiled myself by buying Mierce’s Mammoth with Wartower this December. Furthermore, I got the SC box for Christmas, and already got 15 proxies which can serve as Marauders and a sorcerer lord. I also already have the Warqueen. My next big purchase will probably be one of Mierce’s Demon Prince models. 

I’d like my army to have the classic Undivided chaos and barbarian look, and do not really like the God-themed (demon) armies. This could result in the following army list. Any pointers?

Legion: Ravagers

Extra Command Point Purchased (50pts)

Chaos Lord on Karkarak 250 pts
General
Artefact: Cloak of the Relentless Conqueror Command Trait: Eternal Vendetta

Chaos Sorcerer Lord 110 pts
Command Trait: Bolstered by Hate

Darkoath Chieftain 90 pts
Command Trait: Flames of Spite

Darkoath Warqueen 90 pts 
Command Trait: Favoured of the Pantheon

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince 210 pts
Aura of Chaos: Aura of Khorne

Chaos Knights 180 pts

Chaos Knights 180 pts

Chaos Marauders 150 pts
Quantity: 20
Upgrade: Barbarian Drummer Upgrade: Icon Bearer Upgrade: Marauder Chieftain Mark of Chaos: Undivided

Chaos Warriors 100 pts

Chaos Warriors 100 pts

Chaos War Mammoth 320 pts

Chaos Warshrine 170 pts
Quantity: 1

Total 2000pts

Thanks in advance!

Unrelated to your list, check out creature caster for demon prince proxies. They are the best on the market in my opinion.

50 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Chaos Knights - Lances are plainly rubbish, you lose out on too much compared to swords, swords are okayish but only a 4+ save for 180 pts? These need a 20 pts points drop, or more damage/tankiness.

Lances are better than swords in Slaanesh if you buff them with the undivided buff or CSL buff(which I’m assuming you’re doing with your swords anyway), use them in units of 10 and stick to units you can delete or teleport them out with a spell.

3 hours ago, RareDesire said:

Hallo. How do you get it to +2/+2? i only get it to +1/+2

+1 hit from Varangaurds own ability (Favoured of the everchosen)

+1 wound from Khorne Auro (if general is wholly 18') and re-roll 1 on hits

+1 wound +1 rend from Varangaurd charge (Impaling Charge)

how do you get the re-roll wound and +1 hits from Archaon?

Varanguard naturally hit on 3+ so just a +1 to hit gives them a 2+.

I believe the Everchosen Subfaction has an ability that let's you reroll hits and wound rolls of 1 against any single unit on the battlefield.

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

I need some input, feel free to correct me if I get something wrong.
My Model range of S2T is currently rather limited and I usually play them as mono Slaanesh (10 Chaos Warriors, 5 Knights, 3 Varanguard, Chaso War Mammoth, Warshrine, Choas Lord on Kraka & on Foot, Chaos Mage, 6 Harpies, Iron Golems, Untamed Beasts, Daemon Prince) 
My Arch-Frenemy is the Big Waagh! which is a hard nut to crack with S2D.
In terms of efficiency (esp. VS the Waagh but also in general) I am currenlty at a loss concerning how to use some units without relying on multiple buffs.
The mentioned units:
Chaos Warriors - They can tank damage IF you use 10+ of them which is just too expensive to be parked on an objective. They really need more damage somehow.
Chaos Sorcerers - They're okay, though I couldn't find a way to make one cast twice or grant them a bonus to cast (while not being part of the Kabalist Subfaction)
Daemon Princes - Well...they're okay as a General in a Despoiler Subfaction but let's be real: 210 points? If they were Sorcerers as well that might be justified. More damage or a way to make one a sorcerer would be what's needed.

It feels to me like I am missing something important since most units just seem to be rather bad (compared to Orruks, I haven't had a lot of issues against any other faction really). It feels like no matter what I do the orrk player always has more bodies, more damage, more tankiness, better magic, more speed and I feel really handicapped when facing them (it's like playing against an enemy while fileding 500 points less in a 2000 point game).

Clear question: Do you have ideas and input on how to use the named units more effectively without having to invest a lot amount of Command Points and Auras to make them being worth their points?

I guess my advice to the very specific questions you are asking is to use more Sorcerer Lords and use the movement debuff spells(forgot what the lore one was but we also have the Rupture endless spell). I’d recommend looking into Gaunt Summoner since pinks should be able to split in Slaves once their new warscroll drops.

Since keeping the Slaanesh mark isn’t one of your conditions I’d say mark your DP as Khorne so you can use that command ability. Which will also seriously mess with their charges.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

I guess my advice to the very specific questions you are asking is to use more Sorcerer Lords and use the movement debuff spells(forgot what the lore one was but we also have the Rupture endless spell). I’d recommend looking into Gaunt Summoner since pinks should be able to split in Slaves once their new warscroll drops.

Since keeping the Slaanesh mark isn’t one of your conditions I’d say mark your DP as Khorne so you can use that command ability. Which will also seriously mess with their charges.

I don’t count on magic. Without exaggerating: in the last 5 AoS games I did manage to only get 3 spells off total while having an average of ~1,5 Sorcerers per list. By Sigmar I just can‘t manage to roll higher than 5 concerning magic.... (my Warshrine sucks as well he managed to not bless anything for 4 turns in a row...)

I‘ll try the Khorne-DP however =}

@Sinfullyvannila on paper that might seem right. My experience showed however that it is already REALLY hard to get more than 3 knights into attacking range, their base is just too huge and they block one-another, or are blocked by terrain etc. they also really do not like battleshock tests and they‘re not exactly very tanky

Edited by JackStreicher

4 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I don’t count on magic. Without exaggerating: in the last 5 AoS games I did manage to only get 3 spells off total while having an average of ~1,5 Sorcerers per list. By Sigmar I just can‘t manage to roll higher than 5 concerning magic.... (my Warshrine sucks as well he managed to not bless anything for 4 turns in a row...)

I‘ll try the Khorne-DP however =}

@Sinfullyvannila on paper that might seem right. My experience showed however that it is already REALLY hard to get more than 3 knights into attacking range, their base is just too huge and they block one-another, or are blocked by terrain etc.

Lances have 2” range. You can position a front rank with their side facing the opponent and then point the ones in back facing forward.

• Like 2