AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

personally as a Blades of Khorne Player, I think you would be better off running a Khorne army with STD addded in, than the STD army as khorne.   Unless you find yourself mixxing marks and taking a wizard, going pure khorne will get you more benefits from blades.  You can get extra attacks, more options, and better antimagic through a BoK list, plus you could toss in a blood thirster if you wanted.   The aura's are so so compared to what the buffs you get from BoK.  The aura is 12 inches, and only gives you a reroll to hit of 1s, unless its your general which means just one guy, and all that guy adds is the 1 to wound rolls.  its not bad but limited due to the size of the aura.  

If you go BoK, the secrator gives you the +1 attack to all khorne units so it works on your STD marked khorne units, and you can't take the battalions but they aren't worthwhile anyways most of the time, and you could easily field one from BoK.   Plus the artifacts from BoK are a bit more khorne like anyways.  

@Rizara

I would agree on this. The general pattern for StD is actually that playing them in their own Alligience allied units are either standalone units or units that provide a buff to a marked unit. Sadly, the wording of most S2D buffs diallows us to buff the most allied units as they lack the S2D Keyword.

Meanwhile, when included within a godspecific alligience, S2D Units can easily benefit from buffs and alligience abilities. In case of khorne even the mortal Slaughterhosts do them a good favor. In the end, when not playing a list that uses mixed god units in an S2D army, it really is worth taking a look at the other alligiences. Especially as with Deamon Princes we can access also the Daemonic Traits and Artifacts.

So... just for goofiness sake I made a Fatesworn Warband list;

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore

2 Chaos Sorcerer Lords

3 Gaunt Summoners on Discs

2x20 Marauders 

2x5 Chaos Warriors 1h/Shields

Darkfire Daemonrift 

100 pts of Endless Spells

Maybe sub one of the Gaunts or the Manticore with Warriors or Marauders and more endless spells, since there would be a bottleneck.

I think I could actually make this work in a DoT list since you can get splits on the Pinks and leverage a crapload of Fate Points for summoning. Not competitive by a longshot but not as impossible as I thought from my initial read.

21 hours ago, Rizara said:

personally as a Blades of Khorne Player, I think you would be better off running a Khorne army with STD addded in, than the STD army as khorne.   Unless you find yourself mixxing marks and taking a wizard, going pure khorne will get you more benefits from blades.  You can get extra attacks, more options, and better antimagic through a BoK list, plus you could toss in a blood thirster if you wanted.   The aura's are so so compared to what the buffs you get from BoK.  The aura is 12 inches, and only gives you a reroll to hit of 1s, unless its your general which means just one guy, and all that guy adds is the 1 to wound rolls.  its not bad but limited due to the size of the aura.  

If you go BoK, the secrator gives you the +1 attack to all khorne units so it works on your STD marked khorne units, and you can't take the battalions but they aren't worthwhile anyways most of the time, and you could easily field one from BoK.   Plus the artifacts from BoK are a bit more khorne like anyways.  

Maybe you’re right! Any ideas on fun BoK lists with “as much as possible” added in from STD? :) I got ****** loads of BoK stuff, but a bit tired of the models and just bought quite a lot of STD stuff!

Are the god-specific terrain features  (Skull Alter, the Fane...) usable by S2D or can they only be taken in their own god allegiances?

Like, the depravity refund is irrelevant for the Fane, but it's free and if I can burn an artefact to get re-roll all hits on my Karadrak for the rest of the game, well... I'll push the Diabolic Mantle button and then throw it on the pyre.

Edited by tamthethird

11 hours ago, tamthethird said:

Are the god-specific terrain features  (Skull Alter, the Fane...) usable by S2D or can they only be taken in their own god allegiances?

Like, the depravity refund is irrelevant for the Fane, but it's free and if I can burn an artefact to get re-roll all hits on my Karadrak for the rest of the game, well... I'll push the Diabolic Mantle button and then throw it on the pyre.

Only their allegiance. Terrain is essentially an extension of their allegiance abilities.

• Thanks 1

So what allies make the biggest difference to a Slaves army?  If I mark my guys for one of the chaos gods, and then bring in an ally for that chaos god, what stand out the most?

For reference, I have ~2500 points of slaves, and would like to get a unit or two from the various gods that can go with them to vary how they play out.  So what makes the biggest difference for a slaves force?

22 minutes ago, readercolin said:

So what allies make the biggest difference to a Slaves army?  If I mark my guys for one of the chaos gods, and then bring in an ally for that chaos god, what stand out the most?

For reference, I have ~2500 points of slaves, and would like to get a unit or two from the various gods that can go with them to vary how they play out.  So what makes the biggest difference for a slaves force?

I would say Nurgle.

The Harbinger and the Lord of Blight's are too good to give up

On 12/29/2019 at 8:03 PM, Sinfullyvannila said:

So... just for goofiness sake I made a Fatesworn Warband list;

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore

2 Chaos Sorcerer Lords

3 Gaunt Summoners on Discs

2x20 Marauders 

2x5 Chaos Warriors 1h/Shields

Darkfire Daemonrift 

100 pts of Endless Spells

Maybe sub one of the Gaunts or the Manticore with Warriors or Marauders and more endless spells, since there would be a bottleneck.

I think I could actually make this work in a DoT list since you can get splits on the Pinks and leverage a crapload of Fate Points for summoning. Not competitive by a longshot but not as impossible as I thought from my initial read.

One option to add a bit of flex to the list is to use spawn to fill out required units. 

Been enjoying this list in casual play against some friends. We call it exploding 6s as your opponent never wants to rolls sixes in combat! Reminds me of playing a Thorns Crusader in Diablo haha. 

Despoilers

Plaugetouched Battalion

Nurgle Daemon Prince

- Radiance of Dark Glory

- Diabloic Mantle

Nurgle Daemon Prince

- Etheral Amulet 

Chaos Lord

Sorcerer Lord

Sorcerer Lord

Exalted Hero

Chaos Knights x10

- Ensorcelled weapons

Chaos Warriors x20

- Shields x2

- Great Weapons x12

- Halberds x6

Marauder Horsemen x5

Marauder Horsemen x5

1960 pts

It’s quite challenging to fit 7 units in without taking blocks of Marauders. MVPs are the Daemon Princes and Chaos Knights. The knights in units of 5 constantly under performed but in a block of 10 they are surprisingly effective.

Tried running a Harbinger of Decay and Warshrine but the list becomes too defensive and lacks punch. The second Nurgle DP with the Etheral Amulet can cause units to destroy themselves and is better than the Harbinger. 2x D3 healing can be game changing on him also.

Being a little cheesy with the Warriors and only taking two Shield as they give the unit a 5+ for Mortal wounds. You don’t need extra hand weapons when 6’s are dealing damage so the -1 rend form Great Weapons is superior when fighting armies with more elite units that throw less dicez The Sorcerer giving +1 to hit and wound makes them even better.

The army can be very command point heavy. Considering dropping a sorcerer for another exalted hero and taking the extra command point. However, Diabolical Mantel so far has been good enough.

The weakness of this army are elite units that don’t throw  tones of dice or if there are lots of objectives. Against hordes I have yet to lose a game as even if you don’t deal much damage the exploding 6s just melt whole units. Through 5 Marauder horsemen into a big block with the DP command ability and watch the look on your opponents face, technically it can be stacked which is about the only broken thing the army has. Where there are multiple objectives being aggressive is key and teleports from Sorcerers become critical. 

Basics:

Warriors, Sorcerers and Lord hold a central objective.

Daemon Prince and Knights invade.

Marauder Horsemen are cruise Missiles that can be used as screens, objective grabbers, or if you are lucky rammed into an expensive horde exploding with help from the Nurgle Daemon Prince command ability/s

Sorcerers provide flexibility with either buffs or teleporting. 

Exalted Hero is to get 7 units and is actually pretty amazing for 90 points! Another good option late game to teleport  towards an objective in a pinch.

Daemon Princes spend most of the command points to reflect damage and there are plenty of units in the army to buff and throw into enemy units and watch the 6s explode. However, the threat from a second attack from the Chaos Lord cannot be underestimated. Without the Daemon Princes reflecting damage the list falls apart as none of the units are spectacular for their points alone. Even 10 Chaos Knights are not that amazing for 360  points...

Have tried playing Khorne but Blades if Khorne is just a better base to start with. Same with Slaanesh, Hedonites just has more powerful rules and can use Chaos Mortals. Nurgle, Despoilers  and the Everchosen are the only unique things in this book. 

Edited by Gibs
Spelling

Remember you get the Chaos Runeshields with the halberds so you don’t need to put the hand weapons ones in there.

I don’t think I’d use knights without a Manticore Sorcerer Lord to soften up the unit first and another caster for teleporting them out of combat to charge again.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

35 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@Gibs How can you equip the unit with different weapon types? You cant mix and match weapon types. 

Well so far RAW Chaos Warrior warscroll sounds like other "weapon mixing" units like Tzaangors or old Ard Boyz.

Now RAI is up in the air. I'm inclined to think it's suppose to be a No-Mix since GW is on a "Streamlining" spree but it is very odd to have different language used.

Chaos Warriors:

A unit of Chaos Warriors has any number of models, each armed with one of the following weapon options: Chaos Hand Weapon and Chaos Runeshield; Chaos Halberd and Chaos Runeshield; Chaos Greatblade; or pair of Chaos Hand Weapons.

A typical example, Freeguild Guard:

A unit of Freeguild Guard has any number of models. The unit is armed with one of the following weapon options: Freeguild Halberd; Freeguild Spear; or Freeguild Sword and Shield.

Am I the only one who is actually surprised chaos warriors still even have weapon options? GW seems very adamant on "Build out of the Box" (even to the point of Stormfiends having to have particular weapon loadouts). Unless of course this is implying a future chaos warrior box will have halberd and great weapon options. But then that begs the question why we haven't seen such a kit, I mean we have pics of the Sphinx, Fomoroid, and Ogroid despite still having no info on when they're suppose to come out.

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

Am I the only one who is actually surprised chaos warriors still even have weapon options? GW seems very adamant on "Build out of the Box" (even to the point of Stormfiends having to have particular weapon loadouts). Unless of course this is implying a future chaos warrior box will have halberd and great weapon options. But then that begs the question why we haven't seen such a kit, I mean we have pics of the Sphinx, Fomoroid, and Ogroid despite still having no info on when they're suppose to come out.

I firmly belive there are new kits on the way. They already showed that they´ve done the sculping work in the SC!-Box. I belive that a multipart kit will follow in the next time, along a new Chaos Knight Set (althrough this one is weird as the old ones are not that old, thou) and a new Lord of Chaos (we have a new weapon for him and yet gw didn´t have a sculpt for him, which means often an upcoming model).

Along theese, chosen are still resin as well as the old lord on mount. Maraurauders are also dated. As everyone has expected them to be cut from the book, it may be that there are some chances on some updates here, too. Althrough we have no real hints from hw despite them beeing still in existance.

1 minute ago, Charleston said:

I firmly belive there are new kits on the way. They already showed that they´ve done the sculping work in the SC!-Box. I belive that a multipart kit will follow in the next time, along a new Chaos Knight Set (althrough this one is weird as the old ones are not that old, thou) and a new Lord of Chaos (we have a new weapon for him and yet gw didn´t have a sculpt for him, which means often an upcoming model).

Along theese, chosen are still resin as well as the old lord on mount. Maraurauders are also dated. As everyone has expected them to be cut from the book, it may be that there are some chances on some updates here, too. Althrough we have no real hints from hw despite them beeing still in existance.

Imo at this point GW doesn't have any rhyme or reason on who gets cut and who doesn't.Perfectly great 8th edition plastics like the War Altar of Sigmar or the Skycutter Chariot get cut, yet 6th edition Metal Centigors and Tuskgor Chariots are still around. And I would think that Beasts of Chaos are very low on the totem pole of getting new models, not counting tzaangors.

I'm not saying multipart new chaos warriors aren't coming, but there does appear to be a bit of a weird "backlog".  Especially since the book is already out, and GW likes to use books to highlight the new models (like all of the warcry models, some of which still aren't out yet).  Unless they're pulling off a Chaos Space Marines...but that took like a year.

As I mentioned, it's mainly their Build out of the Box mentality that I find very odd. I mean you can't have Chaos Marauders with Flails and Shields since you can't build flail+shield (well you can, but it's not intended).

Also the Chaos Lord does exist, it's this guy from the Chariot. The chariot kit was originally meant to also make Chaos Lords on Chariots, who now have been demoted to unit leaders.

Spoiler

99120201051_ChaosChariot03.jpg

38 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Also the Chaos Lord does exist, it's this guy from the Chariot. The chariot kit was originally meant to also make Chaos Lords on Chariots, who now have been demoted to unit leaders.

1. what is the best weapon for this lord?  I'm feeling it is the reaperblade...But visually, the flail is awesome.

2. what is the base size of the foot lord? (will magnetize him from a chariot)

5 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Remember you get the Chaos Runeshields with the halberds so you don’t need to put the hand weapons ones in there.

I don’t think I’d use knights without a Manticore Sorcerer Lord to soften up the unit first and another caster for teleporting them out of combat to charge again.

Really hard to fit everything you want into list haha. With Plaugetouched if you want to keep a unit alive just stack Bloated Blessings on it. There is no FAQ saying this cannot happen YET.

Knights on the charge with 2x Bloated blessings will probably kill most things in combat and your opponent isn’t going to want to counter charge the unit with anything valuable in their turn. Hits of a 6 are doing 2xD3 mortal wounds which is very scary and will literally melt units that have high attacks before they can swing back. This is one of the benefits of having big blocks as unless your opponent wants to stretch to hit charters they are forced to engage 20 warriors of 10 Knights that are most likely reflecting damage over multiple rounds of combat. 

With double Sorcerer Lords you can also teleport one into the opponents backfield if need to support and unit sent in the round prior to ensure you maintain re-rolling saves. They also count as 2 units out of the 7 needed for the battalion. 

Edited by Gibs

8 hours ago, Gibs said:

Been enjoying this list in casual play against some friends. We call it exploding 6s as your opponent never wants to rolls sixes in combat! Reminds me of playing a Thorns Crusader in Diablo haha. 

Despoilers

Plaugetouched Battalion

Nurgle Daemon Prince

- Radiance of Dark Glory

- Diabloic Mantle

Nurgle Daemon Prince

- Etheral Amulet 

Chaos Lord

Sorcerer Lord

Sorcerer Lord

Exalted Hero

Chaos Knights x10

- Ensorcelled weapons

Chaos Warriors x20

- Shields x2

- Great Weapons x12

- Halberds x6

Marauder Horsemen x5

Marauder Horsemen x5

1960 pts

It’s quite challenging to fit 7 units in without taking blocks of Marauders. MVPs are the Daemon Princes and Chaos Knights. The knights in units of 5 constantly under performed but in a block of 10 they are surprisingly effective.

Tried running a Harbinger of Decay and Warshrine but the list becomes too defensive and lacks punch. The second Nurgle DP with the Etheral Amulet can cause units to destroy themselves and is better than the Harbinger. 2x D3 healing can be game changing on him also.

Being a little cheesy with the Warriors and only taking two Shield as they give the unit a 5+ for Mortal wounds. You don’t need extra hand weapons when 6’s are dealing damage so the -1 rend form Great Weapons is superior when fighting armies with more elite units that throw less dicez The Sorcerer giving +1 to hit and wound makes them even better.

The army can be very command point heavy. Considering dropping a sorcerer for another exalted hero and taking the extra command point. However, Diabolical Mantel so far has been good enough.

The weakness of this army are elite units that don’t throw  tones of dice or if there are lots of objectives. Against hordes I have yet to lose a game as even if you don’t deal much damage the exploding 6s just melt whole units. Through 5 Marauder horsemen into a big block with the DP command ability and watch the look on your opponents face, technically it can be stacked which is about the only broken thing the army has. Where there are multiple objectives being aggressive is key and teleports from Sorcerers become critical. 

Basics:

Warriors, Sorcerers and Lord hold a central objective.

Daemon Prince and Knights invade.

Marauder Horsemen are cruise Missiles that can be used as screens, objective grabbers, or if you are lucky rammed into an expensive horde exploding with help from the Nurgle Daemon Prince command ability/s

Sorcerers provide flexibility with either buffs or teleporting. 

Exalted Hero is to get 7 units and is actually pretty amazing for 90 points! Another good option late game to teleport  towards an objective in a pinch.

Daemon Princes spend most of the command points to reflect damage and there are plenty of units in the army to buff and throw into enemy units and watch the 6s explode. However, the threat from a second attack from the Chaos Lord cannot be underestimated. Without the Daemon Princes reflecting damage the list falls apart as none of the units are spectacular for their points alone. Even 10 Chaos Knights are not that amazing for 360  points...

Have tried playing Khorne but Blades if Khorne is just a better base to start with. Same with Slaanesh, Hedonites just has more powerful rules and can use Chaos Mortals. Nurgle, Despoilers  and the Everchosen are the only unique things in this book. 

May i ask how the Sorcerer ads +1 to hit and wound to the warriors?

1 hour ago, Kurrilino said:

May i ask how the Sorcerer ads +1 to hit and wound to the warriors?

Daemonic Power cast on a 6

Pick a Mortal Slaves to Darkness unit wholly within 18”. You can re-roll hit and wound rolls  unit until the next hero phase. Mistyped further up but re-rolling failed attempt achieves a similar outcome. 

This is the spell on the warscroll so both inherently know it so it’s fantastic when you get into combat.

Edited by Gibs

1 hour ago, Gibs said:

Really hard to fit everything you want into list haha. With Plaugetouched if you want to keep a unit alive just stack Bloated Blessings on it. There is no FAQ saying this cannot happen YET.

Knights on the charge with 2x Bloated blessings will probably kill most things in combat and your opponent isn’t going to want to counter charge the unit with anything valuable in their turn. Hits of a 6 are doing 2xD3 mortal wounds which is very scary and will literally melt units that have high attacks before they can swing back. This is one of the benefits of having big blocks as unless your opponent wants to stretch to hit charters they are forced to engage 20 warriors of 10 Knights that are most likely reflecting damage over multiple rounds of combat. 

With double Sorcerer Lords you can also teleport one into the opponents backfield if need to support and unit sent in the round prior to ensure you maintain re-rolling saves. They also count as 2 units out of the 7 needed for the battalion. 

Oh yeah brain ******, forgot you were playing Nurgle. Bloated Blessings and Ensorcelled weapons are definitely the way to go.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila