AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

9 hours ago, Asamu said:

Yeah, but that requires a CP, which won't always be available for them, and there are better uses of a CP for output, like the chaos lord letting them fight twice. Doesn't seem appropriate to compare buffed knights to unbuffed Varanguard. You also listed the graphs as "vanilla", which implies no buffs for either unit.

Fair enough

On 12/19/2019 at 10:57 PM, Sinfullyvannila said:

It’s 20.42 damage on 5+. So you’d need the 2nd pile in.

A skilled opponent isn’t going to let you get that though.

I think 6 has legs in an everchosen list where you know how aggressive you can be or not. It’s not super competitive and will fall down in some scenarios but in the 2 games I’ve used it in, it did very well (against petrifix and IJ’s). 

Like I say I appreciate it’s not top of the pile. Saying that though, I think people under estimate how effective a combo of dark prophecy, the dark master and 6 varanguard with spears can be. 

So guys what do we have now for StD? What juicy shenanigans have you tried out or seen?

Really big book, can take in other units from other books to buff&synergize stuff.

For me i feel i am all about the despoilers probably nurgle.

This is what i have been thinking about for my project to build, but im open for other suggestions tips/trix, mix/swap/remove units.

Despoliers

DP - MoN
Harbringer of Decay
Chaos Sorcerer Lord - MoN (Teleport spell)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore - MoN (Whispers of chaos/Binding Damnation)

15 Chaos Warriors, Shield/HW - MoN
40 Marauders, Shield - MoN or 15 Chaos Warriors, Shield/HW - MoN
40 Marauders, Shield - MoN

Chaos Warshriune - MoN

No idea how good it is but its around 1810 points atm. Would love the Plague touch warband...

Things i am wondering/exited about

Nurgle 
Strong for DPs, but how many and do you really need them?
Worth getting a low drop army with "Battaltion - Plagetouched Warband" If so what would synergize it?
Is it worth taking a khorne DP or Be'lakor?

Other
Chariots?
Khorne?

6 hours ago, FattBooM666 said:

So guys what do we have now for StD? What juicy shenanigans have you tried out or seen?

Really big book, can take in other units from other books to buff&synergize stuff.

This is what i have been thinking about for my project to build, but im open for other suggestions tips/trix, mix/swap/remove units.

Despoliers

DP - MoN
Harbringer of Decay

Chaos Warshriune - MoN

No idea how good it is but its around 1810 points atm. Would love the Plague touch warband...

Nurgle 
Worth getting a low drop army with "Battaltion - Plagetouched Warband" If so what would synergize it?

Other
Chariots?
Khorne?

Are you relying on the Bloated Blessings to do your work? Because honestly I dont see a whole lot of threat in that army. There will be loads of bodies, but if you are blocked from parking those bodies on an objective, you will likely have a hard time getting to them as I see it. Wheres the hammer? 

4 minutes ago, Superking said:

I have managed to get two godsworn bands (the box set from last year) for dirt cheap  - what should I build them as in terms of weapons/options? Should I sell any of it on eBay?

That's what I did. I just tried to sell one warshine and a manticore, but only one warshine was sold. It is a super solid base that I completed with the old SC (to get one more charriot, love them) and a wizzard. And I bought recently a new SC and the ES. This is a complete army now. Just ....have to build/assemble/paint it hahahha

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Superking said:

I have managed to get two godsworn bands (the box set from last year) for dirt cheap  - what should I build them as in terms of weapons/options? Should I sell any of it on eBay?

So, 2 warshrines, 2 chariots, 2 manticores, 20 knights, and 32 warriors?

Personally, I'd wait a bit to see what they do in the FAQ, but... a mix of dual hand weapons and shielded warriors is probably safe. You could use lances to make 10 or so halberds; it's a super easy swap, since you can just cutoff the gauntlet/forearm and glue it in place. Currently, I'd default to running warriors in units of 15 with 2-5 halberd/shield warriors and 10 or more dual weapon warriors, but if the shield rules get an errata to work per model as I expect, I'd probably run less dual weapon models in favor of more shields (minimum of 5 shields in a unit of 15).

On the Knights, I'd go ensorcelled weapons every time, but some people seem to like lances because they're a bit better on the charge. With the above point on halberds though, you get a bit more mileage out of ensorcelled weapons anyway though.

1 sorc manticore and 1 combat manticore (I'd go lance + blade or lance + shield probably), Both chariots as regular chariots with greatblades.

There's merit to running 2 warshrines in a list, because the prayers are so strong, and they're just reasonable for the cost compared to a lot of monsters.

I'd only sell maybe 5-10 knights, assuming you don't have anything else already, especially if you plan on picking up the new starter set. I can't see a list ever running more than ~15 of them.

Edited by Asamu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Asamu said:

Personally, I'd wait a bit to see what they do in the FAQ, but... a mix of dual hand weapons and shielded warriors is probably safe. You could use lances to make 10 or so halberds; it's a super easy swap, since you can just cutoff the gauntlet/forearm and glue it in place. Currently, I'd default to running warriors in units of 15 with 2-5 halberd/shield warriors and 10 or more dual weapon warriors, but if the shield rules get an errata to work per model as I expect, I'd probably run less dual weapon models in favor of more shields (minimum of 5 shields in a unit of 15)

I would be careful with the different weapon options, they have generally been moving away from units with different weapon options. I know the subject has been discussed endlessly, and I'm not trying to make an argument either way, but the FAQ is due this weekend, so I'm just suggesting that people hold off for a day or so before they assemble the mixed units.

14 hours ago, FattBooM666 said:

Despoliers

DP - MoN
Harbringer of Decay

Chaos Warshriune - MoN

Nurgle 

Other
Chariots?
Khorne?

One auto include for me is surprisingly the Exalted Hero.

I have the 6+ caused D6 mortal wounds sword  on him and he has shining moments.

One game he had his lucky day and i rolled yazzies. First attack where 6 attacks with 5d6 and he cause 30 mortal woundsdamage.

2nd attack was way less with 3d6 but 14 mortal wounds. He stood right beside Nagash and Archan the black because they ignored him.

1st Eye of the gods he turned into a demon prince, 2nd Eye of the gods he turned into a Spawn 🙂 I assume killing Nagash and Archan is simply not enough for the gods.

This guy is super fun to play with but i am suspicious i oversee something. From what i checked on the FAQ the sword is still on 6+ so modifiable.

Any insight on the sword? Or any ideas where i could find more +1 to hit buffs i can turn him into a reliable max 36 mortal wounds machine to put Archaon's hero killing to shame for micro fraction of points

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

Apologies if this has been asked previously - is there a preference on axe or sword for a Daemon Prince?

As a main unit in many chaos builds including AoS AND 40K, I've done my research in video to magnetize mines (2 of them probably buy one more in the future).

Then, you are game proof and future proof. The only thing that I won't magnetize is the wings.

51 minutes ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

Hey all :)

Apologies if this has been asked previously - is there a preference on axe or sword for a Daemon Prince?

I've done some math and it seems like the sword does more damage against 4+ and 3+ saves. The axe is a lot more consistent though so you could go either way.  

On 12/27/2019 at 4:35 AM, Kurrilino said:

5 Knights vs 3 Varanguard vanilla lance charge

10 Knights vs 3 Varanguard vanilla lance charge

Knights hitting on 3+ issue aside

What this tells me is that 5 knights < 3 varanguards < 10 knights in accordance with their points.

So you should get yourself varanguard when you don' have points for full 10 knight unit.

All mark buffs and shrine/sorc affects them equally, so I assume it stays that way unless you go for Archaon host that starts favoring varanguard.

Another thing to be noted here is that double fighting varanguard will catch up with 10 knights in damage. Obviously frontloading damage is better to avoid counterattack inbetween activations, but you can have a sphinx or fight last spell to make that irrelevant.

Edited by Smooth criminal
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kasper said:

Are you relying on the Bloated Blessings to do your work? Because honestly I dont see a whole lot of threat in that army. There will be loads of bodies, but if you are blocked from parking those bodies on an objective, you will likely have a hard time getting to them as I see it. Wheres the hammer? 

Idk its a cool model and have some good stuff going, but maybe there is other stuff that is better.
Well to me the marauders seem to be the hidden gem with all stuff going around. MoN buffs, buffs from sorcerer, the rend fight in 2 ranks, Warshrine.. Has a high chance of getting in the charge, you have the teleport and to have that threat, to me seems pretty strong.

13 hours ago, Kasper said:

Idk its a cool model and have some good stuff going, but maybe there is other stuff that is better.
Well to me the marauders seem to be the hidden gem with all stuff going around. MoN buffs, buffs from sorcerer, the rend fight in 2 ranks, Warshrine.. Has a high chance of getting in the charge, you have the teleport and to have that threat, to me seems pretty strong.

So if we take cabalist/ravagers/despoilers

Whats the more strong key units/relics/thoughts?

Worth having a battalion or not?

3 hours ago, Smooth criminal said:

Knights hitting on 3+ issue aside

What this tells me is that 5 knights < 3 varanguards < 10 knights in accordance with their points.

So you should get yourself varanguard when you don' have points for full 10 knight unit.

All mark buffs and shrine/sorc affects them equally, so I assume it stays that way unless you go for Archaon host that starts favoring varanguard.

Another thing to be noted here is that double fighting varanguard will catch up with 10 knights in damage. Obviously frontloading damage is better to avoid counterattack inbetween activations, but you can have a sphinx or fight last spell to make that irrelevant.

I would agree here but Varanguard only fight twice once per game so i wouldn't consider it.

And 10 Knights are far superior to 3 Varanguard for 60 points more. Downgrading to save 60 points is not worth the loss i will come with.

The point was more or less that Varanguard are not that super duper unit everyone makes it out to be and many will be disappointed

when trying to play without Archaon

6 hours ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

Hey all :)

Sword every time. I did the math earlier in the thread. It averages better damage against all save values both on and off the charge. Though the axe is a bit more consistent, so if you don't care about the 2" reach, and would rather do a more consistent amount of damage than a higher average amount of damage, then going with the axe could make sense.

Edited by Asamu

If I want to run a khorne army am I better off running bladed of khorne or STD (with allies from the other). Like, I love the look of the khorne marked warriors from that conversion vid gw did a while ago. So I'm gonna be using chaos warriors and knights. What should I build around them?