AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

5 minutes ago, JangutzKhan said:

What do you guys think is the best Nurgle support units to ally into our lists? 

Harbinger casts a FNP

Lord of Blight can do Plague of Flies giving you avoidance against shooting (and melee for blocks of Marauders)

Epidemius against horde armies is cool 

• Like 1

Almost ready to roll........  (wish I could field all 15,  Alas, 4x3 and Archaon will provide for some glorious, if not futile, games!)

(I'm going 6th Circle/Mark of Khorne. If I go bottom of 1 and top of 2, (and I'll use both command points to try to get it ), holy hell is stuff gonna die.....)

IMG_7272[1].JPG

Edited by annarborhawk
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 7

9 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

Almost ready to roll........  (wish I could field all 15,  Alas, 4x3 and Archaon will provide for some glorious, if not futile, games!)

(I'm going 6th Circle/Mark of Khorne. If I go bottom of 1 and top of 2, (and I'll use both command points to try to get it ), holy hell is stuff gonna die.....)

IMG_7272[1].JPG

That’s a lot of Varanguard!! 

Hopefully they release some new poses soon if big V-builds are gonna be a thing. 

53 minutes ago, JangutzKhan said:

That’s a lot of Varanguard!! 

Hopefully they release some new poses soon if big V-builds are gonna be a thing. 

Luckily, you can mix and match the bits enough to make them fairly distinct, especially if you use weapons from other kits.   

they really do look like individual heroes more than units. 

Gotta say, very time-consuming to paint.  There’s more trim than non-trim, and tons of little details.....

So my first crack at a list with the new book.

Idea is to use the Nurgle command ability on the fast cav who will have reroll saves (hopefully 3+) to pin in the enemy and have them kill themselves. Use the big block of warriors to hold central ground and be a second target for Nurgle command ability late game.

Despoilers terrain ability, Belakor Sorceror and Khorne Prince wreak havoc on key units movement and use their own speed to pick fights.

Despoilers
Extra Command Point

Belakor Whispers of Chaos

Nurgle Daemon Prince
General
Ethereal Amulet
Radiance of Dark Glory

Nurgle Sorceror Lord on Manticore:
Binding Damnation

Khorne Daemon Prince.

10 Knights
Nurgle
Ensorcelled
Command

Chariot
Nurgle

15 Warriors
Nurgle
Sword/Board
Command

Warshrine
Nurgle

Eightfold Doom-Sigil
Shackles

1 hour ago, Ragnar72 said:

I have  already 6 so far,..  maybe 3 are missing ? I am waiting for good stories of people using them in combat ?

I have seen people tabling OBR with them in Archaon's host with Archaon. Turns out 9x2+/2+/-2/4 reroll everything fight again is pretty damn good. All the while Archaon himself goes around and kills all the heroes.

Without having played it yet I reckon 6 is probably the sweet spot of keeping that theme whilst maintaining effectiveness. So much of the Varanguard power is locked into them charging that having a decent screen seems fairly key. Even a couple of units of untamed beasts to help stop them getting tagged might be worthwhile.

23 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

I have seen people tabling OBR with them in Archaon's host with Archaon. Turns out 9x2+/2+/-2/4 reroll everything fight again is pretty damn good. All the while Archaon himself goes around and kills all the heroes.

Swapped armies last weekend with my friends Sylvaneth. One thing I learned very quickly is not to let Durthu with full wounds get the charge off on Varanguard or Archaon. The rest of the Sylvaneth crumbled pretty easy though. Varanguard are brutal when they get the charge and can attack twice with all the re-rolls. Even units of 30 Dryads couldn’t withstand the carnage on a Varanguard charge. 

Despiilers:

40 Marauders are amazeballs. I used them yesterday buffed by a Warshrine (reroll hit & wound + Slaanesh Mark) and they evaporated 25 ardboys (after battleshock). Though I only had 13 Marauders left standing afterwards ^^ —> pretty much fully buffed Witch Aelves

the Chaos Lord on foot with M.o. Slaanesh is pretty solid in melee and he killed 2 heroes (getting a 6 each time which was a waste since he already killed the Orc sorcerer...), then he was turned to red crease by a megaboss xD

the demon prince was okay, he lacks damage (I used the axe since I used Ssyl‘esske as Slaanesh DP)

Edited by JackStreicher

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Despiilers:

40 Marauders are amazeballs. I used them yesterday buffed by a Warshrine (reroll hit & wound + Slaanesh Mark) and they evaporated 25 ardboys (after battleshock). Though I only had 13 Marauders left standing afterwards ^^ —> pretty much fully buffed Witch Aelves

the Chaos Lord on foot with M.o. Slaanesh is pretty solid in melee and he killed 2 heroes (getting a 6 each time which was a waste since he already killed the Orc sorcerer...), then he was turned to red crease by a megaboss xD

the demon prince was okay, he lacks damage (I used the axe since I used Ssyl‘esske as Slaanesh DP)

Witch aelves have some good durability that should not be ignored 

Yeah the daemonn prungess are not punchy, but 4 working to get her can act like 1 rather killy unit. But I think they are there most for the command abilities 

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I agree, but he does have a decent chance at killing most heroes in one round so I think that's his  goal. The general DP in a despoilers list is surprisingly useful for this. The extra 5+ save and d3 heal actually makes him pretty tanky, so he can happily crash into almost any foot hero and be able to survive the retribution from surrounding units. The 12" move, flight, and small base also make him decent at line hopping and targeting backline support  if you roll decent on your charge.

I think I've settled on a list for the time being, but there are so many options in this book I'm never really sure which way I want to go. The flexibility in the trait/artifact list in Despoilers is quite intriguing. Bonus move to set up buff auras or threaten objectives, bonus command points, and the Doombringer Blade is great for late game targets when you've moved out of your auras or they've died. I'd love to squeeze in another monster or two but I just can't figure out a good way to do it without sacrificing too much hitting power. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on it. 

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Despoilers

Leaders
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Sword
- Trait: Paragon of Ruin
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (250)
- Artefact: Doombringer Blade
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
- Spell: Binding Damnation

Battleline
10 x Chaos Knights (360)
- Cursed Lance
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield
- Javelin & Shield
1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
- Greatblades
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Ruinbringer Warband (140)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

On 12/23/2019 at 3:30 PM, TALegion said:

Good luck, man. That list is basically the dream right now. Can't hold objectives for ******, but neither can dead enemies 😂

Would you guys for the love of god tell me where the Varanguard hype is coming from ???

3 guys get 18 attack with enscorcelled and cause 12 hits then 8 wounds. Against a 4+ unit it's roughly 6 wounds going through.

After 30 reavers hit back there are no Varanguard left. And the meta is hordes right now.

Same with lance. 9 attacks 6 hist 4 wounds, 3 wounds going through makes 9 wounds.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Would you guys for the love of god tell me where the Varanguard hype is coming from ???

3 guys get 18 attack with enscorcelled and cause 12 hits then 8 wounds. Against a 4+ unit it's roughly 6 wounds going through.

After 30 reavers hit back there are no Varanguard left. And the meta is hordes right now.

Same with lance. 9 attacks 6 hist 4 wounds, 3 wounds going through makes 9 wounds.

Did you allow for buffs?

Chaos Mark benefit? 

The fact they can attack twice?

Mount attacks?  

you have glazed over everything except the basic attack profile. 

Edited by Gibs

14 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

They have A LOT of buffs you can stack.

+1 hit from Archaon, +1 wound from Khorne makes them 2+/2+.

Then you reroll 1s from Khorne for hit and reroll 1s for wound from Archaon.

So basically everything they put out goes through. At this point it becomes the issue of taking the biggest stick they can have and gettin off a charge with it.

With lances that's 25 wounds on the charge with rend -2. That's a dead any unit other than buffed death star ones and if anything is left standing they can repeat for free, they are durable enough to survive retalation. Circle gives you another 9 wounds or you make take the fly to get around screens.

Archaon can give them death frenzy to circumvent fight first enemies.

They are not unbeatable, but list of Archaon+Varanguard is surely playable on some level. Maybe even the list with circle battalion instead of Archaon. That's honestly all the people who bought bunch of varanguard dreamed of, hence the hype.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Archaon gives +1 to hit, mark of  khorne reroll 1 to hits and +1 to wound , host of everchosen six circle +1 to damage on the charge.

and they can fight twice once per battle.

so on the charge, they will do around 26 damage, before they receice some damage and then fight again.

but you only have 3•3 plus Archaon on the table,....

I am aware of all the buffs. But if i calculate buffs into the equation i also have to consider the points.

Archaon and 3 Varanguard are 1100 points for 26 wounds. This is madness.

Archaon and 3x3 Varanguard are needed fo full potential. This is 1700 points and no way to cap an objective.

How people intend to win here is far beyond me

Edited by Kurrilino

5 hours ago, Grimrock said:

I agree, but he does have a decent chance at killing most heroes in one round so I think that's his  goal. The general DP in a despoilers list is surprisingly useful for this. The extra 5+ save and d3 heal actually makes him pretty tanky, so he can happily crash into almost any foot hero and be able to survive the retribution from surrounding units. The 12" move, flight, and small base also make him decent at line hopping and targeting backline support  if you roll decent on your charge.

I think I've settled on a list for the time being, but there are so many options in this book I'm never really sure which way I want to go. The flexibility in the trait/artifact list in Despoilers is quite intriguing. Bonus move to set up buff auras or threaten objectives, bonus command points, and the Doombringer Blade is great for late game targets when you've moved out of your auras or they've died. I'd love to squeeze in another monster or two but I just can't figure out a good way to do it without sacrificing too much hitting power. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on it. 

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Despoilers

Leaders
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Sword
- Trait: Paragon of Ruin
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (250)
- Artefact: Doombringer Blade
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
- Spell: Binding Damnation

Battleline
10 x Chaos Knights (360)
- Cursed Lance
- Javelin & Shield
- Javelin & Shield
1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
- Greatblades
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Ruinbringer Warband (140)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

Imo the Lord on Karkadrak does not add much to the army (should be 190 pts), you can almost switch him for a war mammoth or add a mutalith + Sorcerer

edit: I might also go for Aura of Dark Glory instead of paragon of ruin since it adds even more surcivability

Edited by JackStreicher

2 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

I am aware of all the buffs. But if i calculate buffs into the equation i also have to consider the points.

Archaon and 3 Varanguard are 1100 points for 26 wounds. This is madness.

Archaon and 3x3 Varanguard are needed fo full potential. This is 1700 points and no way to cap an objective.

How people intend to win here is far beyond me

Not sure that you actually take 3 units of Varanguard in a competitive list though?

Archaon

Sorcerer

Varanguard 3

Varanguard 3

Chaos Warriors 20

Maurader Horsemen 5

That is 2000 points