AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

29 minutes ago, Mikkl said:

You can see all the units on GW's homepage under 'age of sigmar > slaves to darkness' all the remaining units are there, except for the Warcry/slaves to darkness units that are released at the start of new year. (Ogroid Myrmidon, Sphiranx, Fomoroid Crusher and the Spire Tyrants).

I don't think anything has been removed, they have actually added a ton of models, like the Archaon, Varanguard, Be'lakor, Gaunt Summoner,  Soul Grinder, Vortex Beast, Slaughterbrute, Dark Oath heroes  and all the Warcry models.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I noticed that the gaun summoner is....NOT in the book, only the gaunt summoner on disc! That is strange. And that make him super expensive (260pts?). I know that kinda includes the cost of the summoned unit but it is not cheap.

Speaking about him:

- what is the best unit to summon? is there one that is far superior to others? 

10 Pink Horrors
10 Bloodletters
10 Plaguebearers
10 Daemonettes
6 Furies

- is there some other way to summon something in StD army?

- I've read in the pink horror warscroll that "Chaos Wizards know the Summon Pink
Horrors spell, in addition to any others they know." Can we spam it? (once per turn, that means 10*Xturns of pinks? All my chaos wizzard can do this (example: wizzard on manticore, daemon prince etc...)?

- pink horrors: are they any good? they are wizzards, they only cast "Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield spells" ? they can't summon some other pink or ES?

20 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

- I've read in the pink horror warscroll that "Chaos Wizards know the Summon Pink
Horrors spell, in addition to any others they know." Can we spam it? (once per turn, that means 10*Xturns of pinks? All my chaos wizzard can do this (example: wizzard on manticore, daemon prince etc...)?

You're looking at an old warscroll. At the start of AoS, wizards could summon daemons (and yes seraphon can summon themselves) but that was an Open Play rule/reinforcement point thing.

Those rules no longer exist as AoS 2.0 made summoning "free" (doesn't cost matched play points).

As for the Gaunt Summoner thing, it's a tad confusing but the Gaunt Summoner on Disk is an Everchosen model (which means now he's slaves to darkness). The non-disk Gaunt Summoner isn't, he's just with Tzeentch.

And then theres the Gaunt Summoner with Chaos Familiars....but he's not around anymore.

9 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:
34 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

You're looking at an old warscroll. At the start of AoS, wizards could summon daemons (and yes seraphon can summon themselves) but that was an Open Play rule/reinforcement point thing.

Those rules no longer exist as AoS 2.0 made summoning "free" (doesn't cost matched play points).

I don't understand what you mean: the warscroll was not only the one I just downloaded from GW shop UK but also the one on the GW French shop . Both say the very same thing in English AND in French. (copied above).

The summon rules on daemon scrolls were made defunct with AoS 2 and the GHB 2018 which introduced the Khorne and Tzeentch  summon rules.

when pinks die you gain blue horror points which are spent on the Tzeentch summoning table. This is only available to disciples of Tzeentch armies not Slaves alligience 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I don't understand what you mean: the warscroll was not only the one I just downloaded from GW shop UK but also the one on the GW French shop . Both say the very same thing in English AND in French. (copied above).

Thats because GW never bothered to update the warscrolls to match the actual rules. All Summon X abilities such as the one listed on the Pink Horror warscroll (were pretty much on all daemons, undead, and lizardmen) have been stricken from the game.

Edited by AverageBoss

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

That warscroll on the website is out of date. I believe the FAQ clears it up, but the app has the correct version.

Edit: Yup, Tzeentch Errata page 3:

image.png.b9f527a10556f43a09b1b3e0551dc3df.png

Edited by relic456

Ok. I got it. What's about the other questions? (I copy/paste them again)

I noticed that the gaunt summoner is....NOT in the book, only the gaunt summoner on disc! That is strange. And that make him super expensive (260pts?). I know that kinda includes the cost of the summoned unit but it is not cheap.

Speaking about him:

10 Pink Horrors
10 Bloodletters
10 Plaguebearers
10 Daemonettes
6 Furies

- pink horrors: are they any good? they are wizzards, they only cast "Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield spells" ? they can't summon some other pink or ES?

10 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Ok. I got it. What's about the other questions? (I copy/paste them again)

I noticed that the gaunt summoner is....NOT in the book, only the gaunt summoner on disc! That is strange. And that make him super expensive (260pts?). I know that kinda includes the cost of the summoned unit but it is not cheap.

Speaking about him:

10 Pink Horrors
10 Bloodletters
10 Plaguebearers
10 Daemonettes
6 Furies

Ravagers have a command ability that lets you summon Marauders or Cultists each turn.

One of the Eyes of the Gods rewards lets you summon the same units as the Gaunt Summoner.

Mutalith Vortex Beasts can convert enemy units with one of their mutation rolls.

Pinks can cast generic endless spells.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

I think everything but bloodletters has its uses

Deamonettes: killiest choice

Furies: fastest, interesting fallback option for screening

Plaguebearers: sturdiest

Pink horrors: 9 inch deploy gets them in range for endless spells turn 1 and with +1 to cast from being near the summoner himself. I think this will be strongest in a tzeentch arcanites. Makes a great screen even after their spell goes off. Anyone know if they can take a lore spell as well?

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Archaon: when rolling two sixes to wound with his Slayer of Kings he can oneshot a Hero.

I‘ve heard several times that this would not work for heroes on monsters. But why? I don‘t see any rule stopping a hero on monster to be oneshotted?

There is nothing in the ability that indicates this, so can't see why this would be. In fact the ability states it is 2 sixes in the same phase, so you could have Archaon fight multiple times and as long as you score 2 against the same target, the hero will die. Chaos Lord has the "Spurred by the Gods" that allow him to fight twice. If you for some crazy reason had a Keeper in there, you'd be able to have him attack three times since he now got the Hedonite keyword. :P

3 rounds of attacks in hopes of scoring 2 sixes vs Nagash?

2 minutes ago, Kasper said:

There is nothing in the ability that indicates this, so can't see why this would be. In fact the ability states it is 2 sixes in the same phase, so you could have Archaon fight multiple times and as long as you score 2 against the same target, the hero will die. Chaos Lord has the "Spurred by the Gods" that allow him to fight twice. If you for some crazy reason had a Keeper in there, you'd be able to have him attack three times since he now got the Hedonite keyword. :P

If Archaon is attacking 2-3 times in the same turn getting double sixes is probably 'win more' anyway. Its still a cool feeling when it happens though but it can also warp the game and ruin it for others when you roll doubles early on. 

34 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Nagash also dies against the rest of his attacks.

I am a hardliner against instant Death abilities, those ruin games (not competitive ones though)

edit: #BadGameDesignStrikesAgain 🤣

Edited by JackStreicher

Just now, JackStreicher said:

Nagash also dies against the rest of his attacks.

I am a hardliner against instant Death abilities, those ruin games (not competitive ones though)

Yeah but you could have the remaining attacks go into another unit and just rely on getting at least 2 sixes. :P

21 minutes ago, Gibs said:

If Archaon is attacking 2-3 times in the same turn getting double sixes is probably 'win more' anyway. Its still a cool feeling when it happens though but it can also warp the game and ruin it for others when you roll doubles early on. 

It is a situation that is just about never gonna happen. :DPretty much your entire army would consist of some heroes with zero meat for objectives etc. It could be fun against armies with super tanky heroes. Khorne dragon army?

8 hours ago, Mikkl said:

I like them. They might not get a mark, but that also means that there is nothing wasted when they are outside the aura of a hero. Combined with their cheap cost, +2 bravery and  high defence, there is really very little lost when they are just sitting on a backfield objective or screening som more valuable unit. Furthermore, their shooting attack (the best one of the cultist units), whilst very poor, it is just as good as their melee attack. So there is nothing lost when you move them up the board and shoot instead of charging. This way, there is very little risk of them ever being in a fight without their save reroll.

This gives Iron Golems their own niche, whilst most of the other cultist units do similar jobs to marauders, marauder horsemen or furies, which are all way better at it. Though I'm sure that you could find good use for the pre-game movement of Untamed Beasts  or possibly the (unreliable) debuff from Cypher Lords.

I think the snake dudes have some potential as chaf too. One a 1 v 1 comparison they outperform marauders in damage ever so slightly against well armoured targets before you start applying the buffs. Large units or marauders do better than large units of snake cultists though.

That said, the role they fill there isn't really needed. Basically they make okay-ish screens or roadbumps at only 70 points and basically trade the resilience of golems for a small amount of MW output. Worse at holding objectives but slightly better at being a nuisance to elite units that want to be maximising their efficiency each turn.

Edited by Rors
clarification

2 hours ago, Kasper said:

Do the abilities say 'attack twice' or 'attack again'?  That would make a difference.

I'm probably gonna have to get another Archaon.   Sold mine off a while back.  

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

Has someone plaid Archaon at 800pts since battletome dropped? Successfully?

I have used him yeah. He pretty much walked through a slaanesh army by himself along with my 40 marauders. His damage potential is quite a lot higher now with the additional rend and the + to hit on dhorgar. 

Still need to work out if he is actually worth the 800 points now - the death frenzy command ability is also really useful especially on marauders 

7 hours ago, Lightbox said:

I'm looking at Cultist units to use alongside my armoured boys because I really do not like the marauder models (rip) but love the warcry models. Looking at the warscrolls I'm really considering unmade with the amount of attacks they can throw out (and the scythes on the blissful ones). My favourite looking warbands are the corvus cabal and the cypher lords but they just don't really look like they'll be able to do enough in terms of attacks unfortunately (though the fly on the corvus could warrant them as early objective grabbers) 

I know marauders are generally the go-to because they do the job better but is there much potential for something like the unmade to be able to throw down alongside an army? (rather than being the main focus etc)

You can use cultists as screen. Marauders are a bit unwieldy for that with the minimum size of 20. Cultists also have better tanking abilities such as reroll save, -1 to hit or recursion (that one is particularly nice for cabalists).

I would also consider the untamed dudes with warqueen as turn 1 charge option that doesn't require you to cast teleport.

With shrine or sorc buff cultists have meaningful damage and can hunt opposing screen units.

Edited by Smooth criminal
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frowny said:

I think everything but bloodletters has its uses

Deamonettes: killiest choice

Furies: fastest, interesting fallback option for screening

Plaguebearers: sturdiest

Pink horrors: 9 inch deploy gets them in range for endless spells turn 1 and with +1 to cast from being near the summoner himself. I think this will be strongest in a tzeentch arcanites. Makes a great screen even after their spell goes off. Anyone know if they can take a lore spell as well?

Pinks only get lores in Disciples of Tzeentch.

4 hours ago, Kasper said:

This is not true.

Edited by whispersofblood
Clarity.