Leaders Limits Question...

MadCat

Question

Hi all: 

I have a question with the limit of leaders, if the battle were 3000 points or more.  With 2500 (+500) I could use up to a maximum of 8 leaders, but with 5000 points, would it be the same? or the limit of leaders also grows, as a proportion?

Pls Help me...

9 answers to this question

There are only official rules going up to 2500 + 250 for 2750.  The limit there would be 8.  So for 3000 or 5000 you're not going to have an official number to use.  

That said, I think either 9 or 10 would work at 3000 and 15 or 16 for 5000.  Which number you pick depends on if you choose to scale off the 2k rules or the 2.5k rules.

Edited by willange
  • Like 1

Not quite on point ( but relevant),  but it seems to me that at 5000 points the number of Command Points gained automatically each round should rise from one to two at least.  This can be reflected by the General being great enough to lead such a large army, for instance, and would reduce the imbalance for armies that have less capacity to generate CP in other ways.  At high points levels, such discrepancy could have an eggagerated effect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Not quite on point ( but relevant),  but it seems to me that at 5000 points the number of Command Points gained automatically each round should rise from one to two at least.  This can be reflected by the General being great enough to lead such a large army, for instance, and would reduce the imbalance for armies that have less capacity to generate CP in other ways.  At high points levels, such discrepancy could have an eggagerated effect.

You also might need to allow 2 of each spell to be cast in a round since with that many wizards you might start running into issues there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, willange said:

You also might need to allow 2 of each spell to be cast in a round since with that many wizards you might start running into issues there.

Good thought.  Perhaps only for the generic Mystic Sield and Arcane Bolt, though.  You might also need to increase the amount of dispels available if you go down this route.  Then you would also have to consider Prayers in the same way, which is a bit more complicated as there are no generic versions.  But then a large point game will most likely have a narrative flavour, so these thing should be able to be woven into (and add to) that narrative quite easily.

• Like 1

Oh I wasn't saying that each wizard would cast more, I was saying that you could have 2 wizards casting the same spell in a turn.  Therefore the number of dispels wouldn't need to go up at all because I'm assuming each player's number of casts/dispells/unbinds would just scale with the points.  But yeah something for prayers is probably needed too.

The problem is that if I were to just double, say my Ironjawz army, I'd run out of useful spells to cast pretty quickly once I got down to my 4th weirdnob.  With realm rules maybe not, but it would just depend on the army.

Edited by willange
  • Like 1

We're already pretty deep in houserule territory here. But I want to add that a regular 2k Tzeentch army already runs into the problem of having more casts than spells. So they take half a dozen Endless Spells not because they need their effects but because they need their casts. And they're paying a lot of points for those, giving up taking more units.

So all I'm saying is that if you incorporate this twice-castable rule that not even the owners of magic get, your houserule is as poorly balanced as... anything that GW does. Huh, nevermind than. Disregard what I said and go on. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1