The Defiled Ruins as a starter?

Greasygeek

So at the moment im looking to buy the Defiled Ruins set as a starter but I have one major concern I hope you lot might help me out on.

Thing is that I also own the Shattered Stormvault set and to my surprise I found out that a great deal of the terrain cards from that set need the original starter set  (belltower, Sad Sigmar face statue, spiky bits etc.) to be set up correct. From what I hear, the same thing goes for the Corpsewrack Maosoleum. 

1.   Of the 12 terrain cards that require ruins from the original Warcry Starter set, how many are matched play cards (has the symetrical symbol).

2. Will the Shattered Plaza and Ruined Chapel terrain sets be enough to be able to use ALL the terrain cards from the Defiled Ruins set?

3. If the answer is: not ALL of them, then how many terrain cards will these upcoming AOS scenery sets support?

Thank you all and keep warcrying🤘

Edited by Greasygeek
Visiting youtube before asking questions takes you a long way🙄

6 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

You don't need to follow those terrain cards in anyway, they are more of a suggestion than a rule.

I know. But wont it ****** the balance completely if you just put scenery on as you like?I mean fine for narratives, but so far it seems that Warcry is very often about taking objectives or fleeing/hunting. Warbands like Iron Golems will suffer greatly if the board isn’t set up in a symetrical way. But I admit that I have only a little experience in Warcry, so you might have another opinion on this matter. Please do enlighten me🙂

Yes. While you can make the decision to ignore the cards, I, personally, believe that doing so comes with great risk to fairness.

At the very minimum, you should endeavour to follow the layout of the terrain on the card, including rough shape and size of all pieces. That said, you should be fine using a different specific piece of terrain.

As an example of what I'm talking about, think about the spiked walls. They have rules that allow a player to toss models onto them from above, which helps lesser models harm better ones. If you don't position those near elevated terrain as shown on many cards, you remove a tactical option the rules otherwise would have given the players.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

As an example of what I'm talking about, think about the spiked walls. They have rules that allow a player to toss models onto them from above, which helps lesser models harm better ones. If you don't position those near elevated terrain as shown on many cards, you remove a tactical option the rules otherwise would have given the players.

True. So thank you GW for not giving those without the starter set options to buy scenery pieces with similar effects. 

The only piece remitely vlose to the spike traps would be the Shardwrack spines.. but it would take som effort to fit them in.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:38 PM, Greasygeek said:

I know. But wont it ****** the balance completely if you just put scenery on as you like?

lmao! Warcry has no balance and that's the awesome beauty of it.

On a more serious note, no, it won't change much given that Warcry is all about the random side of things and you can never know what's gonna happen. There is some balance but you really shouldn't think that playing on the same terrain setup will lead to the same games. Hell they might not even be similar games. 

On 12/10/2019 at 9:02 PM, Sleboda said:

Yes. While you can make the decision to ignore the cards, I, personally, believe that doing so comes with great risk to fairness.

At the very minimum, you should endeavour to follow the layout of the terrain on the card, including rough shape and size of all pieces. That said, you should be fine using a different specific piece of terrain.

Your scenario assumes a thought-out plan for each part of the scenery on each card. The fact that Egyptian Ruins set exists in Warcry demolishes that assumption into nothing more than wishful thinking. Reason being: No vertical play at all. Whatsoever. Nothing in that box can be treated as a 3" platform which removes falling and spiking people altogether. One may say that in combination with starter set terrain, the cards that combine those could be balanced but the starter set terrain isn't even sold fully anymore.  

This is a misconception that the terrain cards affect your games that much. Just throw in a fitting location that includes all the game mechanics (>3", LOS, deadly etc) and hope that SCE will get a Dead of Night Twist :D   

I think @Sleboda makes a good point about the spikes. But overall I don’t think it would affect the game that much. The main thing imo would be to set up the terrain before drawing any deployment, twist and victory conditions. That way no player can consciously influence the layout in their advantage. 

@Sleboda Aye you remove one option by not having the spikes but then again you replace them with loads more. If you limit your self to what was in the box then you aren't really experiencing the richness of the game. That goes as far as the miniatures in the warbands too. What is probably most important for this arguement is definig what game play we are taling about:

Matched Play: Follow the rules exactly with the terrain layout.
Narrative Play: Have fun! (I'm aware that this is a flippant answer). Still focus on the fun part of the game rather than winning!