10. Tzeentch disciples

11. Ogor Mawtribes

12. Skaven

13. Beasts of Chaos

14. STD

15. Seraphon

Bonus: Tyrants and Scions? 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Warcry-Tome-Of-Champions-EN-2019

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/12/03/eightfold-reasons-you-need-the-tome-of-championsgw-homepage-post-3/

I had a wonderful evening reading over the news and theoritising over the list of 15 new warbands that are about to be announced for the 2020.

Anything from all AoS factions in January, to half of that number being new types of Chaos warbands throughout the year really got me excited and I invite you to spend a few days making your predictions on what is coming. For the “Told ya!” purposes of course, and to make the suddenly frozen time go a bit faster :D

I’m guessing and hoping for AoS heavy list (although I do play Untamed and the old grumbler in me would prefer we stick to inner Chaos dealings). With what was announced they can cover the entire remaining range of AoS in that number 15. All of your ogre, dwarf,  aelf, and human prayers answered. Admittedly many of them can be used with the current rules and many other have been masterfully home brewed by the great minds of TGA. 

Edited by Groomy

There's been one of those shipping leaks confirming some of the coming card packs:

01f281366fe5b8d09f3f552b1350ab40_2920.jp

Beasts of Chaos

Ogor Mawtribes

Slaves to Darkness

Bone Reapers

Kharadron Overlords

Disciples of Tzeentch

Stormcast Warrior Chamber (sigh...)

Skaven

Happy of most of those, but the weird slow roll-out of Stormcast continues. I'm actually slightly less annoyed that they've split Stormcast into (at least) three factions as I am that they are apparently rolling them out in reverse order of popularity. Starting with Vanguard that almost no one owned, then Warrior Chamber which is honestly just outdated at this point, while the widely available Sacrosanct chamber probably will be reserved for the third wave. Not even getting into how the Mercenaries book blatantly pulled it's roster of Stormcast Heroes almost entirely from the list of bad heroes no one owns or uses.

Anyways, at this point definitely picking up Ogors and KO, hoping that Fyreslayers get included in this wave.

Edited by madmac
  • LOVE IT! 1

I really just hope they are smarter with the card pack releases. I hope it's like AoS where there are warscroll cards people buy because they are handy, but they publish the unit stats for everything  online or in an app. 

I am also really surprised cities of sigmar is not in that list too.

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, madmac said:

There's been one of those shipping leaks confirming some of the coming card packs:

01f281366fe5b8d09f3f552b1350ab40_2920.jp

Beasts of Chaos

Ogor Mawtribes

Slaves to Darkness

Bone Reapers

Kharadron Overlords

Disciples of Tzeentch

Stormcast Warrior Chamber (sigh...)

Skaven

Happy of most of those, but the weird slow roll-out of Stormcast continues. I'm actually slightly less annoyed that they've split Stormcast into (at least) three factions as I am that they are apparently rolling them out in reverse order of popularity. Starting with Vanguard that almost no one owned, then Warrior Chamber which is honestly just outdated at this point, while the widely available Sacrosanct chamber probably will be reserved for the third wave. Not even getting into how the Mercenaries book blatantly pulled it's roster of Stormcast Heroes almost entirely from the list of bad heroes no one owns or uses.

Anyways, at this point definitely picking up Ogors and KO, hoping that Fyreslayers get included in this wave.

I’m with you on SCE but I’m so happy I can make myself ignore their presence altogether. Definitely doing both KO and Ogors and hoping for Fyreslayers. I’m going to use the new Gotrek model as a Fyreslayer :D

In fact, I’m gonna have a go at Skaven as well. 

54 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

I really just hope they are smarter with the card pack releases. I hope it's like AoS where there are warscroll cards people buy because they are handy, but they publish the unit stats for everything  online or in an app. 

I am also really surprised cities of sigmar is not in that list too.

Wel, I’m a bit uneasy with the fact that varanscribe hasn’t been updated with the roster from MM book. Let’s hope you are right. 

Cities are likely to come given that they recently got a battletome. At least I’ll be surprised if I’m wrong. 

8 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

As much as I have listed them, I don't expect Cities. The only new models they made for cities (from the Silver Tower set) have all been discontinued.

As much as I keep clamoring for them, I don't have a realistic hope of getting anything new until the Old World.

Who says something about new miniatures? Non-cultists warbands will get only rules.

Exactly, the new rules are for existing models in GW's model range. So far they've not even hinted that other armies would get Warcry Warbands and it seems that GW is quite loud that they are not intending to even go down that pathway. Warcry Warbands and the new monsters are going to be the new "warcry new things" for at least the next year or two of GW's development plan. 

The only downside is that it means for other armies variety is going to be more expensive, however at the same time it means that you can take a small number of your regular models and put them into Warcry very easily. 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Exactly, the new rules are for existing models in GW's model range. So far they've not even hinted that other armies would get Warcry Warbands and it seems that GW is quite loud that they are not intending to even go down that pathway. Warcry Warbands and the new monsters are going to be the new "warcry new things" for at least the next year or two of GW's development plan. 

The only downside is that it means for other armies variety is going to be more expensive, however at the same time it means that you can take a small number of your regular models and put them into Warcry very easily. 

Could you expand on the “hinted” sentence? I’d really like to understand what you mean. 

Its possible that the new warbands might be expensive to put together but isn’t it probable that we all will have the models from our favorite armies already to play Warcry the day the rules drop? At least I’m guessing that I have enough KO built and painted to field them day 1.

Edited by Groomy

Demons and mortals maybe? Gaunt Summoner and Thamaturg are in MM if I’m not mistaken. Sets us up for horrors, Tzangors (especially since beasts are all the rage now) and cultists. Maybe Chaos manta rays too. 

But everything I’ve listed could easily go into one warband so I’m at a loss. 

Edited by Groomy

I'm glad they're bringing most of aos armies into warcry, I hope this will sustain the game's popularity if most people can play their minis.
@madmac I agree about the sacrosanct chamber. You could easily make a warband (above 1000 pts even!) out of the 2 existing easy to build kits, which would be an awesome starting point for new players. Vanguards made sense thematically but I don't really like their style; plus if they can fit IDK in the eightpoints, sacrosanct shouldn't be a problem... I've been using sacrosanct models anyways haha.

The only downside to me is that the original theme and setting of the game is going to lose some of its strength : if they were going to have all factions anyways, why set it in the eight points instead of shadespire or some other more generic place? It does feel like they started with a chaos skirmish game, and then decided to change it into aos killteam mid-development.

I'm hoping that as the game grows they add new campaign settings that explore various places in the mortal realms. The system is light enough that's it's easily doable.

It seems the way going forward is to release new warbands with models, and cards throughout the year, and at the end of the year compile all of that into the annual tome. I kinda would've liked at least one new AoS warband in this year's tome, rather than it mostly being a compilation of all the past cards, but oh well. 

12 minutes ago, smartazjb0y said:

It seems the way going forward is to release new warbands with models, and cards throughout the year, and at the end of the year compile all of that into the annual tome. I kinda would've liked at least one new AoS warband in this year's tome, rather than it mostly being a compilation of all the past cards, but oh well. 

When you say "new", do you mean other than Scions that are haunting us since core book?  :)

8 minutes ago, smartazjb0y said:

Haha I meant more like the AoS factions where the models already exist and it’s just the cards that they need to be played in Warcry. 

I see now. Yes, I’m hoping for at least Tyrants, Ogroid, One-eyed Gorilla and batsh*t crazy Cat to be in this years Tome statswise. I mean, they are coming out entirely soon and not including them would make me saltyish and thinking that another book will be released in a month or two. 

However there is precedent. Chimera wasn’t in MM which is sooooooo strange imo. 

On 12/5/2019 at 8:17 AM, Moldek said:

The only downside to me is that the original theme and setting of the game is going to lose some of its strength : if they were going to have all factions anyways, why set it in the eight points instead of shadespire or some other more generic place? It does feel like they started with a chaos skirmish game, and then decided to change it into aos killteam mid-development.

I'm hoping that as the game grows they add new campaign settings that explore various places in the mortal realms. The system is light enough that's it's easily doable.

I agree that it could dilute the current setting.  I am a huge fan of the current setting and am playing Cypher Lords myself, so I hope the 8-points will continue to grow and develop as it has rich opportunities.   However, my over-arching hope at the start of all of this was that they would eventually release rules for all the different factions so that we can use this nice Skirmish rule-set anywhere we want and so we could make our own campaigns etc.  We could even tie-in skirmish games to an overall AoS campaign.  So, this is headed that direction and I'm glad for it.  Now we just have to wisely use the tools given to us! 

• Like 1

Slaves to Darkness, Ossiarch Bonereapers, Ogor Mawtribes, Kharadron Overlords, Disciples of Tzeentch, Skaven, Stormcast Eternal Warrior Chamber, Beasts of Chaos, Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth, Stormcast Eternal Sacrosanct Chamber, Blades of Khorne, Maggotkin of Nurgle, Hedonites of Slaanesh and Seraphon

5 hours ago, Groomy said:

Slaves to Darkness, Ossiarch Bonereapers, Ogor Mawtribes, Kharadron Overlords, Disciples of Tzeentch, Skaven, Stormcast Eternal Warrior Chamber, Beasts of Chaos, Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth, Stormcast Eternal Sacrosanct Chamber, Blades of Khorne, Maggotkin of Nurgle, Hedonites of Slaanesh and Seraphon

It's a good list. Right off the bat I'm +5 Warbands, with a sixth one doable with a bit of work. Also seems to reinforce that Seraphon and KO are probably getting their updated books very soon given their inclusion with the other recently updated factions.

No Cities is sad, but not unexpected. In 2020 I think we'll see at least 1-2 armies that will start expanding some of the Cities subfactions into new books.

Same here. I've counted +5 warbands. Just didn't count where to find time for all of them :D

Here's to hoping. I'd like a more "classic" dwarf faction be it even SCE looking dwarves. I'd like a bit more "warrior" range for elves and a lot of my friends just identify with reg people without steroids. 

18 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

It’s literally everyone but Cities.

Makes me think that they have a Cities expansion planned.

That makes one of us.

Cities is getting quite a bit of attention despite GW's efforts, I don't think they started any models before 2019, so that's a few years away by what we know of the production cycles. Warcry would have been a relatively easy inclusion because it does not require plastic, the only hard part is choosing models. That they didn't speaks of the almost complete lack of acknowledgement that Cities is a thing I've come to expect (in the half of a year I've done Warhammer) 

I am thinking that they will go with a 'Denizens of the Realms' approach in  the summer and release warbands based on *normal humans from each realm. They wouldn't all have to be from the Cities of Sigmar but they would all have to be from Order I think.

* as far as anyone from the Realms could be considered

47 minutes ago, Redmanphill said:

I am thinking that they will go with a 'Denizens of the Realms' approach in  the summer and release warbands based on *normal humans from each realm. They wouldn't all have to be from the Cities of Sigmar but they would all have to be from Order I think.

* as far as anyone from the Realms could be considered

Non-cities order humans do not exist*, it would mean a whole new faction. Which I am entirely okay with, mind you, but it does mean a bit more work

*Outside of Legends and soon-to-be legends like the Excelsior Warpriest

Edited by zilberfrid