How to stop losing

Tibus367

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

@Tibus367 out of curiosity, what board size are you playing on and how much terrain are you using.?

Standard 4' x6'.  Usually 10 pieces of terrain (4 larger pieces and 6 smaller).  We tend to avoid using scenery rules like mystic, deadly, volcanic, etc as to keep the game less complicated.

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

@Tibus367 

Lastly - how does your Ironjawz friend get on playing against you?

Its harder to convince him to play recently.  Before the Ironjawz got their new battletome I would win every time.  Since the Orruks new battletome I have played him once with my incomplete Sylvaneth army.  He easily won that battle but I don't think it was a great indicator of things to come.  We were playing "Battle for the Pass" which starts both armies pretty much clumped together on opposite ends of the table longways.  I didn't have any wyldwoods built yet.  Ironjaws went first, sent in his Mawkrusha with a really lucky charge roll and killed off 20 dryads in the first turn.  He had the Mawkrusha buffed such as to have a 2+ save and -3 rend.  Being that is was a small 1000 pt battle (that's all he has right now) and everything pretty much fell apart on my side of the table against it.  It was the first time for me playing Sylvaneth and I made several tactical errors.  I knew I would be at a disadvantage from the start but I wanted to get some experience figuring out the best way to play my new faction and it was the first time the Ironjawz player had won in a while so I consider it a "win/win" all around.

13 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Can Goretide Bloodreavers run and charge?!  I didn't think Khorne could do that anymore with anything (more of a Slaanesh and Beasts of Chaos vibe now)?

Yes, it's the Slaughterhost specific command ability that applies to Bloodreavers and Blood Warriors. It's absolutely incredible.

3 hours ago, Tibus367 said:

Standard 4' x6'.  Usually 10 pieces of terrain (4 larger pieces and 6 smaller).  We tend to avoid using scenery rules like mystic, deadly, volcanic, etc as to keep the game less complicated.

One suggestion I will make then is to use a 4' x 4', it's what GW recommends for 1000 point games and for Khorne will make a massive amount of difference.  Based on the issues you're having it could help to balance out the problem where you don't have enough board control to stop the Seraphon bringing up new units all over the shop 😉  Don't get me wrong, I love playing on a full sized 6x4, but for some armies it doesn't do any favours at smaller game sizes.

It's a shame your friend has fallen out of love for AoS, hopefully it's a temporary moment and one day the new battletome will enthuse them to dust off the old greenskins again!

• Like 1

After the new book I can hardly get people to play my Ironjawz or Big Waagh (with just ironjawz units). I have to very deliberately softball them by simply brining few warchanters.

Mighty destroyers is extremely powerful. In a 1k game your friend should avoid a clan and just get the cunning warlord trait instead for 1 free use of mighty destroyers per turn. His Mawkrusha can then move 12"x2 every turn guaranteed and just wreck whatever it wants. Next gore gruntas is king, buff them up with a warchanter for +1 damage to all weapons, mighty destroyer move them twice, so they can move 18" in one turn. Now you got a Mawkrusha and Double damage grunta unit right in the face of the opponent turn 1. Smashing and Bashing will also serve him to easily clear out skink screens for example.

On an equal skill level the Ironjawz player would probably run with at least 2/3 wins against the other armies from what I can read here, unless he runs with 0 warchanters then the issue is quite clear on his part.

This is as much understanding the army than just the composition. You could go to youtube and look up some battle reports as well, quite a few newer ones with the orruks obviously, not that many with seraphon though of high quality, but did see at least one really interesting competetive game with them on rerolling ones, who brought in a tournament winner with his seraphon.