SC Vanguard vs Skaven

Milano

Hi,
next week I have my first 2k game coming up (yay). I play a mostly SC Vanguard army, the other player an undefined Skaven army. Combing all my available models, I tought about bringing one of the following 2 lists. What do you think, which one should perform better? Any other ideas? Do Anvils make sense with 6 Raptors or to go without host and Staunch defender? I appreciate any feedback :) (Ps. I have only Van.Hunters as battleline). Cheers

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Lord-Aquilor (180)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Soulthief
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Venator (120)
Neave Blacktalon (120)
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (110)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (180)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Wounds: 115, 2000pt

or to drop the Incantor and Comet and go with more Palladors and an additional unit of Aetherwings:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Lord-Aquilor (180)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Soulthief
Knight-Venator (120)
Neave Blacktalon (120)
6 x Vanguard-Palladors (360)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)
Wounds: 131, 1990pt

Edited by Milano

Skaven have some good wizardry, so I think keeping the Incantor is wise.  Also keep the Everblaze Comet and position the caster far enough away from any other wizards to prevent unbinding (since you can drop the comet wholly within 36" away).  

I also might consider dropping the Knight-Venator and Neave for the Vanguard Angelos Conclave battalion.  It's a pretty crappy battalion but lowers the number of deployment drops a little bit, also nets  you an extra relic for the Lord Aquilor and a Command Point.  Then you'll have a few extra points for some more Aetherwings perhaps, which while not super awesome, are SOOOO annoying to enemies with their move during their charge phase, effectively negating their charge in most cases unless they can fly themselves and roll a huge charge range.

Can't go wrong with those allied eels.  They'll provide hard hitting mobility to make up for no Neave or Venator I think.

Good luck!  I'm in the process of assembling my Vanguard force.  Kitbashing my Knights for the super battalion, because I really just don't want to spend another $90 on them.  And I want butterfly wings for mine :D

I would recommend the first list of the two.  The utility of the Incantor to shut down enemy casting (don't forget about that 1/game auto-dispel!) is huge, and the Comet pulls double duty as a source of trouble for their wizards as well as giving you a nice block for the Skaven to have to move around, helping you control the engagements and potentially limit the amount of Clanrats that can get into melee at a time. Anvils is almost certainly worth it for the Longstrikes, the ability to snipe out key enemy units is crucial, especially if you can remove the Skaven units that are providing the Bravery immunity/buffs.

Suggestion: If you like the Blacktalon model (I don't blame you) and want to use it, I would run her as a generic Zephyros instead of the named character. You aren't playing Hammers, so that keyword on her doesn't matter, and giving her the Anvils artifact makes her an excellent blender to charge in with the Hunters. This can let you keep the Lord-Aquilor by the Longstrikes to use his command ability as needed to redeploy them. In case the Skaven leaders are doing some cowardly tricks like 'taking cover behind terrain'.  You could also consider using the Hammernado instead of the Comet. Sure, it's Predatory and everything that entails, but the point difference just between that can buy you an extra command point or set of birds (Plus Skaven are Chaos, so you get the improved MW chance).

As a Vanguard player, don't apologize for only having Hunters as Battleline! They are fine units, provided you don't use them the same way you would use Liberators or Sequitors. They aren't a 'stand and hold the line' unit, they're a 'pop up by that hero you hid in the back, time to assassinate him' unit. Vanguard is all about popping up in the places they don't want you and killing the things they left exposed.

• Like 4

@Lord Krungharr@Ironblaze Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will certainly implement them the next games. 

The game was yesterday. I went with list nr1. Savage until the end, agsinst pure skaven skryre tournament army..with 2 bells, 6 warplock jazzails, 3 ratling guns and 2 add. casters..uff, got even double turned (2nd round)..toughest match so far, but I won!!😃 unbelievable 

How? Relocation Orb. I took first turn to block gnawholes left and right, dropped comet with 36”. Bluffed location of Raptors and relocated immediately with Aquilor, Venator landed star fated, both bells 9dmg. But then double turned 😐 Could save the eels and dropped again the comet (he dispelled prev). Teleporting Aquilor and dropping out of sky Neave, Azyros and 3x Hunters in his open back. Keeping 40” from his jezzails. The Orb also favoured me a bit..but not too much.

I was really surprised how important movement is on 2k scale with shifting objectives. And Hunters..finished off both bells, I need to give them prob more credit 😅

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

They do. Was love on the first sight for me 😍 😅 They would need some warscroll love from GW tough...but hey it is what it is,  so lets do the best with the tools they have available

3 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

NICE, vanguard have such cool models

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 6:40 PM, Milano said:

They do. Was love on the first sight for me 😍 😅 They would need some warscroll love from GW tough...but hey it is what it is,  so lets do the best with the tools they have available

There is of course the chance GW will over swing the other way next tome. Just got a start collefting, more raptors and a box of dogs as well. Gotta go for the rule of cool.