General Hobby Reminder: Sharp Blades Are Safer

Sleboda

21 minutes ago, Still-young said:

Must be quite the callus considering I once managed to put an exacto blade through my thumbnail. 

Firstly - OUCH - 
Secondly - tell us the story!

I've got the old GW scalpel with the thick handle (love that thing really surprised they don't make it any more); however because the top end with the blade has the metal locking ring and the base section is thicker plastic, the thing will always fall blade down. One time it was on my desk and I just nudged it off the edge. It rolled, aimed itself downward and then stabbed right into my leg - blade going most of the way in! 

I was actually surprised how fast the wound sealed up and that I wasn't left having to resort to superglue or something. However it felt really rough and nasty for a good while because of how deep the blade had cut into muscle/fat/whatevers in your upper leg. 

Otherwise I've got the odd cut and scrape on fingers, but never otherwise managed to stab myself with a blade.

That said sharp blades are best, even if they have to dull just a little bit to get to a perfect edge for scraping off mould lines.

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

Firstly - OUCH - 

I think I was trying to cut through an Infinity base, which are slotta bases but the slot has a thin bit of plastic in it that’s generally easy to get through. There was a batch that was thicker than usual though. I was trying to get the blade through and it slipped and buried itself in my thumb through the nail. It was incredibly painful. It was also at an angle, so when my nail grew out there was a big diagonal catch through it for a while which didn’t help either. 

Similar to your story, my uncle does model railway, and once dropped a new scalpel in his lap, gashing his inner thigh pretty close to his femoral artery. My mum had to look after my cousin while he went to hospital. My brother did a similar thing on his finger with my grandads model knife (he also does model railway). My grandad got a lock on his hobby room after that. 

I think we might just be a clumsy family...

Edited by Still-young

Oh, and about bigger blades: once, when I was sharpening my swirds, I left one on the couch sticking out a bit with the point, and brushed past it while walking.

I did not feel anything, but I had a gash through trousers, skin, and bit of the muscle. Only when I squatted to pick something up and the wound tore further did I feel it. This was the tip of a sword lying down, very little pressure.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Firstly - OUCH - 

I've got the old GW scalpel with the thick handle (love that thing really surprised they don't make it any more); however because the top end with the blade has the metal locking ring and the base section is thicker plastic, the thing will always fall blade down. One time it was on my desk and I just nudged it off the edge. It rolled, aimed itself downward and then stabbed right into my leg - blade going most of the way in! 

I was actually surprised how fast the wound sealed up and that I wasn't left having to resort to superglue or something. However it felt really rough and nasty for a good while because of how deep the blade had cut into muscle/fat/whatevers in your upper leg. 

Otherwise I've got the odd cut and scrape on fingers, but never otherwise managed to stab myself with a blade.

That said sharp blades are best, even if they have to dull just a little bit to get to a perfect edge for scraping off mould lines.

59 minutes ago, Still-young said:

I think I was trying to cut through an Infinity base, which are slotta bases but the slot has a thin bit of plastic in it that’s generally easy to get through. There was a batch that was thicker than usual though. I was trying to get the blade through and it slipped and buried itself in my thumb through the nail. It was incredibly painful. It was also at an angle, so when my nail grew out there was a big diagonal catch through it for a while which didn’t help either. 

Similar to your story, my uncle does model railway, and once dropped a new scalpel in his lap, gashing his inner thigh pretty close to his femoral artery. My mum had to look after my cousin while he went to hospital. My brother did a similar thing on his finger with my grandads model knife (he also does model railway). My grandad got a lock on his hobby room after that. 

I think we might just be a clumsy family...

This is one of the benefits of not using a handle on your blade. Most of the time I just hold the blunt end of scalpel blades, I find it gives me better control than using a handle and if I drop the blade it's not gonna go through my foot.

9 hours ago, Dolomyte said:

I switched to using just clippers and workshops moldline remover after I dropped my exacto through my foot once. 

go bladeless!

That's pretty good advice. If so many of the small parts on plastic sprues were not so incredibly delicate, I think I would try that. As it stands, I need a tiny, sharp blade to remove some parts so that the pressure of a clipper making the cut doesn't snap them.

5 hours ago, Sleboda said:

That's pretty good advice. If so many of the small parts on plastic sprues were not so incredibly delicate, I think I would try that. As it stands, I need a tiny, sharp blade to remove some parts so that the pressure of a clipper making the cut doesn't snap them.

100%. Right tool for the job is easily as important as quality tools. 

I went bladeless for a long time, but in those days I was only cleaning the connecting points off models. Ergo those chunky bits of plastic that connect it to the sprue. Those are pretty easy to clean off with a good pair of hobby clippers. In those days I couldn't "see" mould lines. Or rather I saw them but didn't see them as something to remove. Now I do and a scalpel is about the only tool that works for GW's models all round. It's sharp, and importantly has a fine point to get into all the tight spots that clippers could never get into and which even other blades or the mouldline removal tool simply can't get into.

4 hours ago, NinthMusketeer said:

While well aware that sharper blades are safer in a general context, I cut myself worse and with greater frequency with sharp hobby blades. Not blades in general--just for hobby blades the trend somehow reverses itself for me. It must be something to do with how I use them.

This happens to me all the damn time, lol. I seem to be a much greater risk to myself with a fresh blade. Either accidentally stabbing myself with the sharper point or slicing into my thumb when scraping mould lines. The blunter blades tend not to break the skin when the same thing happens.

Edited by Gareth 🍄

This is a basic principle in cooking. Always have your knives as sharp as possible. A properly cared knive will give you full control were you are cuting. A dull one will slip and you'll end up aplying much more force that will translate in injuries when the obvious happens and you lose control. 

I've always been a fan of retractable snap-off blade knives.  Easier to keep a sharp point as you can just quickly snap off the dull bit and keep working.  I always have a problem with exacto knife blades being too fragile, so the points last about two cuts.

Edited by Aegisgrimm

On 11/30/2019 at 3:50 AM, Dolomyte said:

I switched to using just clippers and workshops moldline remover after I dropped my exacto through my foot once. 

go bladeless!

Same! Dropped mine so that it lodged itself into my thigh while working on a Megaboss :D

Been using clippers ever since, and even ended up giving my exacto away. 

I wear nocry gloves, designed for chefs, as soon as I start on anything more than sprue nubs.

Still have nerve damage in my first finger from 6+ months ago when I tried cutting through scenery plastic and slipped.  Stitches were required.

I now have a hobby saw too, which is great fun for the thicker stuff.