The History of Fantasy Miniatures

Of late I've been reading a fair amount about the history of Warhammer, Games workshop and Citadel Miniatures recently, and its fascinating to see how the modern fantasy minis scene has come about. What I'd really like more information on though, is what came before Games Workshop. Clearly early Citadel got a big boost from D&D, and I'm aware of a few other brands which were around back then, such as Grenadier, Minifigs and Ral Partha, but they all seem to have really gotten going when D&D took off in the mid seventies, and its not clear what if anything was around before that.

So what figures did people use to play chainmail? Were fantasy figures available before that, or did you just convert medieval figures from historical games? How did fantasy gaming, as we know it today, evolve out of historical wargames etc?

If anyone knows of any good write ups of those early years, or a good source of history or commentary on the very early days of our hobby I'd be very interested to hear. I've found the Realm of Chaos blog (http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/) to be a very useful resource in this regard, since it has a lot of interviews with various GW designers and modellers. However I've not delved much deeper into the Oldhammer scene, since I'm not quite sure where to start.

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 1