Starcast - The Thread

Turragor

1 minute ago, Nozdormu said:

Is it possible to combine Starcast list witch strong shooting like 4 Celestar Balistas with Ordinator (580 pts) or Anvlis with 9 Longstrikes (560 pts with Aetherwings)? It should solve problems with killing monster. 

IF you mix the two concepts, then you have to play an Anvilcast. It's easier said then done. You lose staunch defender+ignax scale or ethereal brooch.
Makes your life way harder!

1 minute ago, Maturin said:

IF you mix the two concepts, then you have to play an Anvilcast. It's easier said then done. You lose staunch defender+ignax scale or ethereal brooch.
Makes your life way harder!

That's why I prefer ballistas (with prime and LCoSD, wish I could fit a comet too though) with no stormhost

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nozdormu said:

Is it possible to combine Starcast list witch strong shooting like 4 Celestar Balistas with Ordinator (580 pts) or Anvlis with 9 Longstrikes (560 pts with Aetherwings)? It should solve problems with killing monster. 

The core of a starcast list is this:

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake
Drakesworn Templar (or maybe Celestant Prime)
Lord-Castellant
3x 5 Liberators

This comes out to be 1260-1340 points depending on if you went 2 drakes or ran the prime.  Now, after this, you can put in whatever you want - ballista's, longstrikes, wizards + comet, etc.  However, a lot of people focus on getting the MW chip damage going with the Incantor + comet, and then a little more, because this allows you to clear off small hero's at the start of the game, and those hero's are usually the buffing kind.

If you wanted to go with longstrikes, a block of 9 of them will deal 11 damage on average to a 5+ save, and 8.3 to a 3+.  This is... not really enough to accomplish much.  However, making that 22 or 16.6 by going with anvils is a lot more appealing.  However, the downside of this is then you have to go anvils, which means you aren't running staunch defender.  Then your Celestant only had a 3+ save, or a 2+ save with the Castellant.  This also means that you are only healing due to the castellent when you roll a 6 and are facing no rend, rather than a 5+ against no rend or 6+ against rend 1.  This makes the Stardrakes notably less tanky, and while it makes taking down bigger monsters easier, it isn't noticably better at clearing off the smaller support heroes.

As for the ballista plan, this can be done while staying with Staunch.  Damage wise, they deal about the same as longstrikes, but are a lot spikier with their damage.  Additionally, there is no way to get them to benefit from something like the anvils command, so there isn't an easy way to boost their damage.  I would look to add ballista's if you want to have something that can deal with screens, and shoot monsters, but I feel that they are really unreliable at shooting down hero's, even with the Ordinator helping them.

Another option to consider if you want to add a shootcast element is to run Judicators.  Yes, a block of 20 judicators is 640 points, but compared to Longstrikes/Ballista's, we can count it as 540 points because we can drop a block of liberators to run them.  Damage wise, Judicators do less damage than either longstrikes or ballista's (against a 6+ save, Judicators do ~10.56, Longstrikes ~11, and Ballista's ~11.56), but they somewhat make up for this due to much of their damage hinging on the shockbolt bows, and the fact that they can give you 20 bodies on an objective, with a 24" range (which is better than ballista's rapid fire range).

Overall, if I were to run any of these, it would be the ballista's.  I wouldn't really want to give up the benefit of Staunch + Castellent to run the longstrikes.  However,  I would need to play around with the more traditional lists that have Incantor + comet more before I would bring the ballista list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, readercolin said:

The core of a starcast list is this:

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake
Drakesworn Templar (or maybe Celestant Prime)
Lord-Castellant
3x 5 Liberators

This comes out to be 1260-1340 points depending on if you went 2 drakes or ran the prime.  Now, after this, you can put in whatever you want - ballista's, longstrikes, wizards + comet, etc.  However, a lot of people focus on getting the MW chip damage going with the Incantor + comet, and then a little more, because this allows you to clear off small hero's at the start of the game, and those hero's are usually the buffing kind.

If you wanted to go with longstrikes, a block of 9 of them will deal 11 damage on average to a 5+ save, and 8.3 to a 3+.  This is... not really enough to accomplish much.  However, making that 22 or 16.6 by going with anvils is a lot more appealing.  However, the downside of this is then you have to go anvils, which means you aren't running staunch defender.  Then your Celestant only had a 3+ save, or a 2+ save with the Castellant.  This also means that you are only healing due to the castellent when you roll a 6 and are facing no rend, rather than a 5+ against no rend or 6+ against rend 1.  This makes the Stardrakes notably less tanky, and while it makes taking down bigger monsters easier, it isn't noticably better at clearing off the smaller support heroes.

As for the ballista plan, this can be done while staying with Staunch.  Damage wise, they deal about the same as longstrikes, but are a lot spikier with their damage.  Additionally, there is no way to get them to benefit from something like the anvils command, so there isn't an easy way to boost their damage.  I would look to add ballista's if you want to have something that can deal with screens, and shoot monsters, but I feel that they are really unreliable at shooting down hero's, even with the Ordinator helping them.

Another option to consider if you want to add a shootcast element is to run Judicators.  Yes, a block of 20 judicators is 640 points, but compared to Longstrikes/Ballista's, we can count it as 540 points because we can drop a block of liberators to run them.  Damage wise, Judicators do less damage than either longstrikes or ballista's (against a 6+ save, Judicators do ~10.56, Longstrikes ~11, and Ballista's ~11.56), but they somewhat make up for this due to much of their damage hinging on the shockbolt bows, and the fact that they can give you 20 bodies on an objective, with a 24" range (which is better than ballista's rapid fire range).

Overall, if I were to run any of these, it would be the ballista's.  I wouldn't really want to give up the benefit of Staunch + Castellent to run the longstrikes.  However,  I would need to play around with the more traditional lists that have Incantor + comet more before I would bring the ballista list.

Indeed I find blending tough, I think either extreme (Starcast or Shootcast) is stronger when pure. 

That said, I am considering a test with 6hurricane raptors and 2x3 Aetherwings. 380 pts. I'd drop the drakesworn (which is often clutch with tempest axe pile in reduction) first test. 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Exorcist (120)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (280)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 94

The way I play and what I don't like meeting, this could be useful.

I'd drop them to be in position to block charges, they could hold objectives and let libs act as speed bumps. 

They're not bad against the likes of gotrek either. 

Edited by Turragor

What do you think about this kind of roster? Its my first try into starcast. I ussualy play shootcast ;)

- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Stormbound Blade
- Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Castellant (120)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 91

Its little on bodies but my LcoSD should hit like a truck with all buffs and amount of mortal wounds output is sick.

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

What do you think about this kind of roster? Its my first try into starcast. I ussualy play shootcast ;)

Leaders
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
- Stormbound Blade
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Castellant (120)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Everblaze Comet (100)

Its little on bodies but my LcoSD should hit like a truck with all buffs and amount of mortal wounds output is sick.

Test  it out and let us know how it goes! It looks solid

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

They don't

But wait now, we can see the plan he (or she) is going for with the stormwing, stormbound blade and vindicators combo:

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

- Stormbound Blade

It will work now and again - the exact amount of times it is worth it (and fun!) is the thing you want to playtest to find out.

The full combo is lovely: 

Hero phase

• Celestial blades for 3+ to wound

Move phase

• 2+ for d3 mw

Charge phase

• 2+ for d3 mw
  • rr hits of 1
  • D3 extra attacks on blade

Combat phase

• Activate CA for +1 Attacks on melee weapons (is this the claws too? I think it is, it's only artefacts and traits that don't affect mounts unless stated iirc)
  • You could activate LCoSD CA for rr wounds on great claws
  • Activate artefact for +2 Attacks on the blade
  • Activate drake & pile in - 2+ d3 mw
  • Eat if possible
  • & Swing away Merrill
  • Hits of 6 are 3 wound rolls at damage 3
  • Then swing tail

image.png.ea1d2f747339ba4f852b6f3086210905.png

Stars align and you do 9 mw with stormwinged then you might humbly ask your opponent to make 27 save rolls or take 81 damage from the sword alone :P

I've allowed for all buffs and input with (max 3) and without inescapable vengeance (charge), and the reality is more like:

image.png.42d73f4a184bcbd60d5217ef454a829c.png

Source - https://aos-statshammer.herokuapp.com/

That's for the sword alone and 14.5 is not shabby at all but as you can see, the main downside is the low rend.

It will do more damage than a defensive drake list for sure but my only word of caution is that it's adding a tasty offensive bonus to a warscroll that's amazing at holding up against unbelievable odds, reflecting damage and peppering mw from afar, occasionally coming out with the full 3 mw on a target. So I tend to build to support that. The range of staunch is more in keeping with holding the drake within range of buffs - warding lantern and casters in range of arcane lineage (celestial blades range in your list too) and not going all in fast.

I think with what you lose out on you need to be more aggressive with the drake as opposed to defensive - each round you're not charging (I think a Heraldor would accentuate your list) into combat is wasting all this focus on a melee beatstick LCoSD.

However, ppl say the drake's aren't playable at all and they are wrong. Who's to say this combo (which I've considered) won't work out nicely on the tabletop?

I experienced this last Saturday, I could have played without Anvils and not noticed. The threat of it kept ppl on their toes though - they didn't want a protracted drake engagement.

Note - I'm terrible at mathhammer and working out what is likely to be good before a game with a list. Hence this whole thread and 2019 / now going into 2020 Starcast project. I need to feel a game before I know good or bad. At least in execution - broadly speaking I know good and bad ideas beforehand.

Edited by Turragor
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Combat phase

• Activate CA for +1 Attacks on melee weapons (is this the claws too? I think it is, it's only artefacts and traits that don't affect mounts unless stated iirc)
  • You could activate LCoSD CA for rr wounds on great claws
  • Activate artefact for +2 Attacks on the blade
  • Activate drake & pile in - 2+ d3 mw
  • Eat if possible
  • & Swing away Merrill
  • Then swing tail

Can you really use both characteristics of the artifact and the regular LCoSD 's blade at the same time ? Doesn't the artifact replaces entirely the sword ?

2 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Can you really use both characteristics of the artifact and the regular LCoSD 's blade at the same time ? Doesn't the artifact replaces entirely the sword ?

That is a good question :) I'm glad I don't have to get to the bottom of that one just at the moment - bed time haha

58 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

It would be:

3+1+2+d3 attacks with sword. Each 6 give you 3 hits which 1 of 3 will with dmg 3. Or all of them? Idk xD

3+(rr1) / 3+ / -1 / d2 

And claws:

4+1 attacks 

3+(rr1) / 2+  / -1 / dd3

I couldn't have explained Planck's Constant better!

• Confused 1

Joke aside it's a very risky proposition you're toying with. You're drake would be 4+ save when you use the artifact. If you use it last and got the castellant's lantern on him, why not, He'd be 2+for the whole turn of combat, then 4+ when you activate. If all enemy's units have swung without killing him, then good!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Turragor said:

It was clarified somewhere ( can't recall where sorry!) that exploding hits does not count extra hits as triggering the effect of a specific dice roll. So the additional hits in this case do not count as 6's. In this case that means the first hit of a 6 will have +1 damage, but the 2 exploding are just "hits".

We should be tankful for this though, considering the Slaanesh command trait to auto choose 1 attack to be an auto 6, which explodes, a they will always use that on their rend 2 dmg 5 claws to ensure 2 auto hits. If that extra hit also counted as a 6, then it would result in infinite hits!

• Like 1

Would a Drakesworn Temple list even be worth considering? 🤔Something like

Mortal Realm: Shyish
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- General
- Tempest Axe
- Trait: Staunch Defender
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Storm Lance
- Artefact: Goblet of Draining
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Chain Lightning
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
Drakesworn Temple (140)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 83

6 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Would a Drakesworn Temple list even be worth considering? 🤔Something like

Mortal Realm: Shyish
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- General
- Tempest Axe
- Trait: Staunch Defender
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Storm Lance
- Artefact: Goblet of Draining
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Chain Lightning
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
Drakesworn Temple (140)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 83

It sounds fun to try. But competitively, I don't think the Nova Surge does enough. If it was something like "Deal d3 to each enemy within range then each Drakesworn Templar on the battlefield heals equal to the mortal wounds dealt" it would be good. Once per battle makes it really poor in its current state.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

It sounds fun to try. But competitively, I don't think the Nova Surge does enough. If it was something like "Deal d3 to each enemy within range then each Drakesworn Templar on the battlefield heals equal to the mortal wounds dealt" it would be good. Once per battle makes it really poor in its current state.

You do heal a bit though and it's all stormcast units within 3" not just the templars. Which is something. 

You get double stormwing as well. 

I've been considering testing it tbh but in the potential new change host meta I'm not sure it'd survive. 

Contrast to my main list which I think has a chance to take out the Lord of change quickly. Need to play a test match or two though :)

Edited by Turragor
  • Thanks 1

So I have to submit my core 1350 list soon for a friendly but semi competetive weekend event, and I think I have a decent all around list which also looks cool on the table:

Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Arc Hammer
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Knight-Incantor (140)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
4 x Desolators (400)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (180)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins

Total: 1340 / 1500
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 76

This should allow me to do a bit of everything and also presents 2 massive threats to the opponent, instead of just 1. I am really torn on what to do with stormhosts still though. No artifacts are used, so can be ignored from the equation.

Staunch would be the safe choice, it does however encourage some conservative and maybe even cheesy play and I suspect the custom scenarios will be highly mobile. 

Celestial vindicators is not a bad choice, although the trait for +1 dmg on 6 to hit is very meager and the command ability is just decent for this list.

Knights Excelsior has a pointless command ability, reroll 1 to hit only after having destroyed a unit with attacks (so battleshock wont do), can be cool, but you would probably already have the upper hand if this really comes into play on multiple units at all. I do really like the trait though, as +1 damage against heroes covers some weaknesses for the drake, bumping the damage from 4,5 against a 4+ on average to 6,5, which is quite significant and all the difference on taking out a support hero or bracket a Keeper of secrets in an epic duel.

Anvils I considered, but usually it comes down to getting the upper hand in the first round of combat and without staunch obviously, I don't want to take a huge charge to then possibly hit again in a subsequent hero phase, unless I get double turned, then a Drake would need to take hits for 2 combat rounds before this is even a factor at all.

Finally I have taken keen clawed here, yes it is hardly 0,5 damage increase in a combat phase, but I just suspect arguments might happen from stormwinged, as from my test plays against other players so far, most complain it seems gimmicky, silly and like rule loophole exploits It has given gameplay success, but game experience issues sadly, I sure hope they errata this in some form (did anyone write the FAQ team on this yet?).

3 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

So I have to submit my core 1350 list soon for a friendly but semi competetive weekend event, and I think I have a decent all around list which also looks cool on the table:

Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Arc Hammer
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Knight-Incantor (140)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
4 x Desolators (400)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (180)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins

Total: 1340 / 1500
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 76

This should allow me to do a bit of everything and also presents 2 massive threats to the opponent, instead of just 1. I am really torn on what to do with stormhosts still though. No artifacts are used, so can be ignored from the equation.

Staunch would be the safe choice, it does however encourage some conservative and maybe even cheesy play and I suspect the custom scenarios will be highly mobile. 

Celestial vindicators is not a bad choice, although the trait for +1 dmg on 6 to hit is very meager and the command ability is just decent for this list.

Knights Excelsior has a pointless command ability, reroll 1 to hit only after having destroyed a unit with attacks (so battleshock wont do), can be cool, but you would probably already have the upper hand if this really comes into play on multiple units at all. I do really like the trait though, as +1 damage against heroes covers some weaknesses for the drake, bumping the damage from 4,5 against a 4+ on average to 6,5, which is quite significant and all the difference on taking out a support hero or bracket a Keeper of secrets in an epic duel.

Anvils I considered, but usually it comes down to getting the upper hand in the first round of combat and without staunch obviously, I don't want to take a huge charge to then possibly hit again in a subsequent hero phase, unless I get double turned, then a Drake would need to take hits for 2 combat rounds before this is even a factor at all.

Finally I have taken keen clawed here, yes it is hardly 0,5 damage increase in a combat phase, but I just suspect arguments might happen from stormwinged, as from my test plays against other players so far, most complain it seems gimmicky, silly and like rule loophole exploits It has given gameplay success, but game experience issues sadly, I sure hope they errata this in some form (did anyone write the FAQ team on this yet?).

Post it in standard threat plz ;)

On 1/27/2020 at 12:01 PM, Turragor said:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Exorcist (120)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (280)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 94

Played this list in a casual game against a Changehost today and won.

The way Tzeentch is built now it's actually easier for the kinds of lists I like. Previously it was next to impossible against changehosts.

In this particular game I was unsure about aetherwings and raptors and double caster. But it wasn't a great test.

Edited by Turragor

On 1/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, Nizrah said:

Leaders
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
- Stormbound Blade
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Castellant (120)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Everblaze Comet (100)

Played some games with it today. Wrecked bloodgullet list, its amazing so fast support heroes are melting. And get wrecked by Stonehorns list.

The only thing which was bothering me was lack of 2 cast. I was always struggling between comet and celestial blades... Have to tweak points to find a way for second caster.

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

Played some games with it today. Wrecked bloodgullet list, its amazing so fast support heroes are melting. And get wrecked by Stonehorns list.

The only thing which was bothering me was lack of 2 cast. I was always struggling between comet and celestial blades... Have to tweak points to find a way for second caster.

downgrade the incantor to exorcist and take a balewind vortex :D -not sure whether losing the dispel scroll is worth it though

10 hours ago, Marcvs said:

downgrade the incantor to exorcist and take a balewind vortex :D -not sure whether losing the dispel scroll is worth it though

I agree here, Balewind Vortex is probably the best endless spell for Stormcast. Getting a second cast and adding some range is clutch. Plus, if you take Relictor you can teleport the wizard on Balewind and most of our heroes go to a 2+ save on it.