Starcast - The Thread

Turragor

So I took this to major victory today, and it was rough. Played Total Commitment which really screwed with my drop plan.  Ended up 6 to 4 for the Starcast. Played against Sylvaneth with 2 Durthus, Treelord Ancient, Branchwraith, 6x Kurnoth Scythes, and 50 Dryads with Forest Folk battalion, Heartwood grove.  He cast throne of vines turn one and I double turned turn 2 to shoot the branchwraith  with rain of stars 4 times and the cometstrike sceptre before it could start pumping out more dryads. Vesperal Gem on Treelord Ancient is very annoying to my play of giving him -3 to cast with comet and both drakes.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Storm Lance
Celestant-Prime (340)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Castellant (120)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
Balewind Vortex (40)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)
Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 81

Incantor on a Vortex is very nice. Also starting off between 2 drakes for +2 to cast feels so good.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

So I took this to major victory today, and it was rough. Played Total Commitment which really screwed with my drop plan.  Ended up 6 to 4 for the Starcast. Played against Sylvaneth with 2 Durthus, Treelord Ancient, Branchwraith, 6x Kurnoth Scythes, and 50 Dryads with Forest Folk battalion, Heartwood grove.  He cast throne of vines turn one and I double turned turn 2 to shoot the branchwraith  with rain of stars 4 times and the cometstrike sceptre before it could start pumping out more dryads. Vesperal Gem on Treelord Ancient is very annoying to my play of giving him -3 to cast with comet and both drakes.

How did you manage all the durthus/treelords with the drakes? Was the peppering of MW's enough?

56 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

He cast throne of vines turn one and I double turned turn 2 to shoot the branchwraith  with rain of stars 4 times and the cometstrike sceptre before it could start pumping out more dryads. Vesperal Gem on Treelord Ancient is very annoying to my play of giving him -3 to cast with comet and both drakes.

Are you sure you can target the same unit several times with the dragon falling stars ?

11 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

How did you manage all the durthus/treelords with the drakes? Was the peppering of MW's enough?

At the end of the game the durthus were still alive. One took out my templar after a few turns of combat, but he was too slow to make it to the other until the bottom of 5.

6 minutes ago, Maturin said:

ISn't he too far away, even on a vortex, to help from the deployment zone ?

I don't know what you mean here. He cast balewind and comet turn 1, turn 2 he cast halo because my stardrake wasn't far enough away yet, turn 3+ he was just trying endless spells.

5 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Are you sure you can target the same unit several times with the dragon falling stars ?

I didn't target it more than once per stardrake. My turn 1 hit the wraith with both drakes, then on double turn each one targeted it first and the cometstrike sceptre as well. Each drake was only targeting it once, but I got my turn 1, then went first turn 2 and did it again. So the wraith was targeted a total of 4 times.

Edited by SleeperAgent
  • Like 1

The problem I encountered when trying LCoSD, Prime and Convocation (lots of fun btw, thanks for sharing the idea!) was with big multi wound models (notably, mawcrusha, stonehorns). From my very limited experience, I find I lack the means to kill them, screen them or slow them down.  I always end up missing my ballista platoon :D

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

The problem I encountered when trying LCoSD, Prime and Convocation (lots of fun btw, thanks for sharing the idea!) was with big multi wound models (notably, mawcrusha, stonehorns). From my very limited experience, I find I lack the means to kill them, screen them or slow them down.  I always end up missing my ballista platoon :D

An experienced ironjawz player can most likely make a sad goop out of a starcast list rather quickly with no screening. It is easy to move a Mawkrusha or Gordrakk even 24" in one turn and then charge, 18"+ with gore gruntas all buffed with +1 damage to all weapons and a whaagh for good measure. It is basically unlikely they will not kill whatever they run into, staunch stardrake or whatever it might be.

Same goes for a good beastrider list, with everything moving 15"+ with tough multi wound beasts with a decent save againt MW as well. Stardrakes doing silly low damage against single models really hurts here. The fluff says they can bite greater demons into mush, yet in the game the bite is completely useless against a stonehorn including the tail. A stardrake models melee profile is unlikely to do any more than 2 damage total to a stonehorn with the melee attacks. The tail cant hit, the bite cant do anything.

A Mawkrusha with Ignax scales can basically just have its way with a starcast list ;) The celestant prime would need to be at least in turn 4 with 9 attacks to have some hope hurting the thing enough for an average of 12 damage against it.

Edited by Scurvydog

5 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Yes there are lists starcast shouldn't do well against. 

I think those are the lists that give stormcast issues fullstop though. 

I look forward to seeing what I can or can't do v 6 stonehorns :)

The beastriders on stonehorn are not all that dangerous, the heroes with mount traits and artifacts are by far the biggest problems, especially the metal cruncher one, as that one likely deals out 7-8 mortal wounds if charging before any model is even selected to fight. If it also has etheral amulet there is little hope of hurting it at all in any significant way.

Taking the charges is not really viable either, due to the massive mortal wound output a decent monster charge will do to you, missing the staunch will most likely be way better than being crashed into for several mortal wounds on top, but it is a hard call. Libs can screen a little bit and maximizing those will be key, also having them in the heavens as a deployable wall where needed or to threaten backline objectives will force him to commit an entire beast to that, so you got a slight edge in some battleplans due to this, but in turn will lack screening.

Anything to control the battlefield would help, such as shackles too.

6 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

The beastriders on stonehorn are not all that dangerous, the heroes with mount traits and artifacts are by far the biggest problems, especially the metal cruncher one, as that one likely deals out 7-8 mortal wounds if charging before any model is even selected to fight. If it also has etheral amulet there is little hope of hurting it at all in any significant way.

Taking the charges is not really viable either, due to the massive mortal wound output a decent monster charge will do to you, missing the staunch will most likely be way better than being crashed into for several mortal wounds on top, but it is a hard call. Libs can screen a little bit and maximizing those will be key, also having them in the heavens as a deployable wall where needed or to threaten backline objectives will force him to commit an entire beast to that, so you got a slight edge in some battleplans due to this, but in turn will lack screening.

Anything to control the battlefield would help, such as shackles too.

The tournament has realm artefacts banned. I'm running anvils starcast experiment build so no staunch! 

Means he has no ethereal though

I've some ideas that might work but he reads the forums so I'll wait till after the match to share ^^

3 hours ago, Maturin said:

Dayum. Dat no kool

What happened exactly ?

Everything was bad ^^

3 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

My guess is something along the lines of a truck hitting a deer on the road xD

Ish, I had v bad dice luck but honestly this isn't the list to beat 6 stonehorns 

Met great waagh r2. Major win. Lots of synergy from support heroes is my match up of choice lol

Met sc list with 6 desolators and 6 dracolines last match. Major win on total commitment scenario. 

List is still grand. To improve to beat the stonehorn type lists (my pal was undefeated with his 6 and came in 3rd. Another list with 4 was 2nd place) would be more experiments. And I think its more than stormcast has in them at the moment. 

Spontaneously thinking of hurricane crossbows and aetherwings but the vultures and crossbows still mean you're not as protected as you think. 

Hm.

Back to planning and otherwise painting ossiarchs. 

Lists from one day event: here

Results for the one day event :

https://tabletop.to/stockholm-slaughter-iii/ladder

Edited by Turragor

That Ironjaw player was totally asking for a beating with his list. Against Starcast he didn't have a chance!

Once he gets rolling other lists have no chance v him I think!

But starcast takes the head off the snake, no general no waagh pts. He did try to split his heroes but the comet reaches like 22" in total diameter 

Anyway, my next plan is double caster as I want the comet every turn, it's already so impactful Rd 1. 

Maybe even a balewind. I didn't dispel and recast the comet at all on sat as I preferred to cast mystic shield or azyrite halo. 

I feel that with a very defensive prime (I misplayed him again in 2 matches) will improve my results again. 

'm on the fence about losing out on double drake. It really feels like my list is "perfect" for what it aims to do. Its just learning to pilot it more and more. 

I'm 14 wins and 7 losses with starcast variants at 5 tournaments the last Yr. That's good but there are still some matches where I feel I could do better

Edited by Turragor

4 hours ago, Turragor said:

I feel that with a very defensive prime (I misplayed him again in 2 matches) will improve my results again. 

'm on the fence about losing out on double drake. It really feels like my list is "perfect" for what it aims to do. Its just learning to pilot it more and more. 

I'm 14 wins and 7 losses with starcast variants at 5 tournaments the last Yr. That's good but there are still some matches where I feel I could do better

The prime is very expensive for what he does. But if you place him on the table T1, and if he doesn't die, then you've got yourself at least 15mW over the course of the game. That is if you fail miserably your radius roll or there isn't anything near what you're targeting. Good placement with him is paramount.
As mine always fails his melee attacks, I almost don't bother using him in cqc. But he can be useful, if you manage to put him in a terrain (forest is perfect) and with a castellant or staunch. He becomes quite good, but would still need a mystic shield on him to be on par with the drake.

I'm not sure going for two wizards with a pure SCE army. Incantor + Exorcist + comet = 360. 20 points more than the prime. And you can't be really sure the comet won't be dispelled by your opponent ...

Except match ups with lists comprised of monters only, Starcast is strong. And it's funnier than anvilstrike! Anvilstrike would certainly lose to Starcast btw.

Edited by Maturin
  • Like 1

And you can't be really sure the comet won't be dispelled by your opponent ...

You mean unbind (post r1 where you place them to be sure it's not unbound)?

If the opponents would just dispell my comet in my current 1 caster list Id be sooo happy :P

Except match ups with lists comprised of monters only, Starcast is strong. And it's funnier than anvilstrike! Anvilstrike would certainly lose to Starcast btw.

This is true :) the best order/SC player on Saturday ran Anvilstrike and we had a laugh about how he did not want to meet me at all. He's a good player though and I'd not consider it a done deal right off. He's good with the list, a good SC player and the last two tournaments we've been at together we've matched results. Our specific weaknesses are different just.

I'm not sure going for two wizards with a pure SCE army. Incantor + Exorcist + comet = 360. 20 points more than the prime.

I was thinking more of dropping the 2nd drake but then you lose more nice things. Rain of Stars isn't always a failure, bites are supreme right now in many matchups, hordes aren't a problem with only chip damage when you've 2 drakes AND +2 to cast is part of what makes the comet reliable.

With 1 drake less it's 5+ instead of 4+ which doesn't seem like much but your success rate goes from 75% to 66% or something

21 minutes ago, Turragor said:

You mean unbind (post r1 where you place them to be sure it's not unbound)?

If the opponents would just dispell my comet in my current 1 caster list Id be sooo happy :P

Yeah, But unbinding makes no sense! In all RPGs or TTgames it used to be called "dispel" ;)