Starcast - The Thread

Turragor

19 hours ago, mmmbbb3 said:

i have been considering building a starcast list with kroak, stardrake and prime, but i don't really know how they play against list that don't run too many heroes. i'm really not sure how they would deal with objectives, and how they would handle hordes.

If anyone could point out the general stragedy, or meaby throw a link to a batrep my way i would be super happy! 😀

@mmmbbb3

So about your questions. You could go for something like this:

Spoiler
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Chamon
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Spell: Chain Lightning
Celestant-Prime (300)
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
2 x Concussors (220)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 82

The Concussors can be swapped to try other stuff (more liberators? shadowstalkers and skinks for chaff?) but you could also swap the incantor + comet block and have a solid 4-men unit of concussors.

How does the list work against armies with few heroes? Depends from the army, but in general it would work as normal: use the dragon to tie up the biggest threats and whittle down the rest with mortal wounds at safe distance. Then drop liberators on objectives while concussors can go on a flank and do work.

How do you deal with objectives? Badly :D After the GHB2020 there are more battleplans with multiple objectives so this list is even harder to play. In general the strategy is to play the long game, banking on your superior attrition and continuous MW spam while using liberators so score/deny points in the meantime

How do you deal with hordes? Pretty well! The stardrake is GREAT against hordes, unless they have rend 2 ^^" cavernous jaws can put their cohesion at risk (bonus combo if you stop them from piling in with the concussors) and a lot of attacks means a lot of healng and reflected wounds. In the meantime you can kill their support heroes with your MWs and let battleshock do the rest. Again, don't be afraid of being behind on points after 1 or 2 turns as long as you can see a path to victory in the remaining time.

Not many batreps show this list being played. Also, I would advise *against* watching batreps in the strict sense to learn strategies. To my knowledge there are two tournament games recorded with Starcast being played, one IRL with @Turragor (a bit old by now but you can still see how the list plays and a wonderful trick to kill an akhelian king :D ) here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HXUBp31pIk

and one on TTS with myself playing against Legion of Chaos Ascendant back when it was spamming pinks all day long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2yQzW46w0&t=1s      They are both defeats for Starcast sadly ^^" , but hopefully still interesting!

you can also check a few pages back, I posted some write downs of my games with the list on TTS and at one IRL tournament.

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rosa said:

@Scurvydog       

Could you post your exact list please?

Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Celestant-Prime (300)
Lord-Castellant (120)
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
4 x Concussors (440)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 87

Sure there is no everblaze, but I really like the dual hammers of the drake and concussor unit, I have had opponents baffled by the damage the concussors can do and they can hammer units the drake has trouble dealing with and vice versa.

This list can win against plenty of things, but is also vulnerable to some of the most nasty meta lists, Mortal wound spam in return is of course extremely dangerous, the constant influx of MW spamming archers is a real pain and last I played this was in the fall, before lumineth archer spam and now snake archers really took hold, however this list is also mobile and very long range and can quickly engage when needed. If you can eliminate the largest sources of incoming mortal wounds you are golden. Remember the concussors can always deep strike and all use their storm breath to help focus down some pesky character etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi all guys im working on stardrake list for like 1 month atm. this is what i wanna play on tts saturday

Lord Celestand on Stardrake 

- mirrorshield

-general

- struch defender

Lord castellant

incantor

-azyrite halo

heraldor

relictor

- teleport prey

vexillor

-teleport once per battle pennant

2x5 liberators

5 judicators

4 fulminators

10 shadow warriors 

allies

chronomatic cogs

tot 2000

what do you think about that? there is a classic combo to make stardrake super tanky , i wanna add relictor for healing preyer plus another possible teleport. heraldor is good for retreat and charge , expecially on fulminaotrs and eventually on stardrake. i wanna play cogs because when i pop fulminators they have to charge. another option is play 4 concussors but i think this list need fulminators so mutch, we need a good hammer to kill something. shadow war are best ally for SCTE when u wanna play stardrake imo. we need them to steal objectives or kill little buffer units. 

51 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

hi all guys im working on stardrake list for like 1 month atm. this is what i wanna play on tts saturday

Lord Celestand on Stardrake 

- mirrorshield

-general

- struch defender

Lord castellant

incantor

-azyrite halo

heraldor

relictor

- teleport prey

vexillor

-teleport once per battle pennant

2x5 liberators

5 judicators

4 fulminators

10 shadow warriors 

allies

chronomatic cogs

tot 2000

what do you think about that? there is a classic combo to make stardrake super tanky , i wanna add relictor for healing preyer plus another possible teleport. heraldor is good for retreat and charge , expecially on fulminaotrs and eventually on stardrake. i wanna play cogs because when i pop fulminators they have to charge. another option is play 4 concussors but i think this list need fulminators so mutch, we need a good hammer to kill something. shadow war are best ally for SCTE when u wanna play stardrake imo. we need them to steal objectives or kill little buffer units. 

weak spots are
- 1 lord relictor... nothing is going to be in range for him to heal or teleport.. better drop him.
- knight vexillor is pretty useless for you when you can start stuff in the sky. You could spend these points on other things
-1  knight incantor isnt really going to get cogs of in this meta. You probly help your opponent more then yourself. i do like the incantor for the auto dispel

fulminators just want a knight heraldor/ and/ or lord castellant for that buff. They are solid enough.

get rid of the shadowwarriors and get shadowstalkers.. way and way better.

What ypu suggest for a better chance to cast cogs? You roght about that, against seraphon is impossible to cast for example? Feel like i need cogs so mutch because if I fail charge with fulminators im in a bad spot! 

About shadowstalkers the 6" missile range  is very bad for what im planning, with warriors i can shoot the same turn I pop! 

On 3/23/2021 at 8:26 PM, Tizianolol said:

What ypu suggest for a better chance to cast cogs? You roght about that, against seraphon is impossible to cast for example? Feel like i need cogs so mutch because if I fail charge with fulminators im in a bad spot! 

About shadowstalkers the 6" missile range  is very bad for what im planning, with warriors i can shoot the same turn I pop! 

Fulminators should not go in the sky then. They are quite tanky against shooting and with an heraldor you can give them a decent threat range. Counting on cogs is not just dangerous because you might not be able to cast it, it also still gives you a 7" charge which, especially if you haven't got a hero around for the reroll, might still fail.

As for the shadowstalkers vs shadow warriors, I wouldn't overestimate the shooting damage of the second. If they are in cover and get their bonus, they will still do 3.6 wounds to a 4+ save and that's not counting look out sir if you shoot a hero. Basically, they won't kill anything of value, while the shadowstalker with their teleport every turn will force the opponent to always cover their objectives.

• Like 1

Hello Starcasters!  Here's my first army that I'll be trying tomorrow vs a Beasts of Chaos Darkwalkers Warherd army.  I'll report after I play and learn what they can do:

Stardrake Celestant (general, hammer, Staunch Defender, Thunderlord, Drakescale armor)

Lord Arcanum on Gryph (Celestial Blades)

Knight Heraldor

2x5 Liberators (blades/shields)

1x5 Liberators (hammers, shields)

2 Concussors

2 Fulminators

3 Evos on Dracos

3 Palladors w javelins

Extra CP

Vs

Brass Despoilers/Doombull/Doombull/Shaggoth/2 Bray Shaman/Khorne Daemon Prince ally...6x3 Bullgors (half great axe, half axe n shield), Mindstealer Sphiranx ally, Doomblast Dirgehorn and Ravening Direflock.

It'll be like Animal Crossing :D

• Like 2

At the end i changed with that

Stardrake 

Lord Castellant 

Incantor 

Haraldor 

Relictor

Vexillor

3x5 liberators 

4 fulminators

2x 10 shadow warriors

Tot 1980

Relictor  prayer are within 12" i think its not so hard keep stardrake in range to prey. Vexillor give me 1 free teleport that I  an use to save my drake or my fuminators or keep relicor in range for a important heal or for debuff prey to hit. I think this list is very well rounded.  Guys what do you think to add balistas from limineth as ally in a list like that?:)

On 3/30/2021 at 2:39 PM, Tizianolol said:

Guys what do you think to add balistas from limineth as ally in a list like that?

Hallo!

I think that there are a few things I'd like to try (once I play again) ally wise from Lumineth book. However, I am also still leaning towards waiting on a reboot or a new SC tome before I delve in more and paint more non-SC units.

So my input would be theory only and non-tested and I do so prefer TESTED input and decisions.

So what you can do is check out all those tools available to see what those of us who are actively building lists in the current meta are taking, like:

https://aoslistbot.herokuapp.com/analyzer/

&

https://aosreminders.com/stats

And ofc the Honest Wargamers stats & or rundowns:

https://thehonestwargamer.com/age-of-sigmar-tts-stats-15-2-21/

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/faction/stormcast-eternals/

Note: Even if some of those are out of date due to the pandemic.

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 1

Leaders
- General
- Celestine Hammer
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
Celestant-Prime (300)
Lord-Exorcist (90)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Slann Starmaster (260)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
- Allies

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Everblaze Comet (100)

Wounds: 92

This is how you build Starcasts now? I didint played it for long and dont remember X D

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys a question about celestant prima. If I decide to set up him is riserve, and i pop him in the 1 turn I got +2 attacks. If I decide to pop him in the second turn, i got +4 attacks? Thx

no, second turn he gets +2 attacks, for every turn he is in reserve he gets +2 attacks. Else he would be a good minature...

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 12:19 AM, Nizrah said:

Leaders
- General
- Celestine Hammer
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
Celestant-Prime (300)
Lord-Exorcist (90)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Slann Starmaster (260)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
- Allies

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Everblaze Comet (100)

Wounds: 92

This is how you build Starcasts now? I didint played it for long and dont remember X D

that or you use kroak and no prime (and get the castellant too)

Spoiler

- Mortal Realm: Chamon
LEADERS
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact : Plate of Perfect Protection

Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
- Mount Trait : Storm-winged

Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (120)

- Spell : Chain Lightning
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies
UNITS
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

3 x Aetherwings (40)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Everblaze Comet (100)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if Kroak will be getting a points hike with that new model?  Seems like a popular ally for the Starcast.

But I fought the Beasts of Chaos with my:

On 3/26/2021 at 5:37 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Stardrake Celestant (general, hammer, Staunch Defender, Thunderlord, Drakescale armor)

Lord Arcanum on Gryph (Celestial Blades)

Knight Heraldor

2x5 Liberators (blades/shields)

1x5 Liberators (hammers, shields)

2 Concussors

2 Fulminators

3 Evos on Dracos

3 Palladors w javelins

Extra CP

Vs

Brass Despoilers/Doombull/Doombull/Shaggoth/2 Bray Shaman/Khorne Daemon Prince ally...6x3 Bullgors (half great axe, half axe n shield), Mindstealer Sphiranx ally, Doomblast Dirgehorn and Ravening Direflock.

Mission was Starstrike (the one where the objectives crash down turns 2 and 3.  Stardrake at 4 Bullgors over 3 turns, and the Beasts just couldn't hit very well.  Summoned Gors captured the 2nd objective as they were teleported courtesy of Darkwalkers, but couldn't hold it vs Concussors and the Lord Arcanum.  The Palladors went Doombull hunting but ended being lunch for a unit of Bullgors and the Doombull.  Pretty relaxed non-tournamenty game but a good test drive.  

Had another game with 4 Fulminators, instead of the Palladors, vs a Gloomspite Gitz army with 2x6 Rockgut Troggoths, 60 Grots, 15 Boingrot  Bounderz and Troggboss.  Knife to the Heart.  Once again the Stardrake got constipated and ate 4 Rockguts!  I was dum and didn't deepstrike anything into his backfield, thinking the Fulminators combined with Heraldor could storm through the lines to the backfield objective.  But the Gitz held the line with Itchy Nuisance, excellent Boing-smash, and Hand of Gorking Troggoths against whom no Liberator can stand.  So it was an auto-loss after turn1/round 3.  Great game though.  

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 9:59 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm wondering if Kroak will be getting a points hike with that new model?

Pretty sure he will as its not just a model but warscroll changes if I remember right.

The old model that I have is a good subsitute for a Slann anyways if necessary. Tbh I think the last reveal day (mystery? day) is going to be AoS 3.0. Just a hunch though.

On 4/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, Turragor said:

Pretty sure he will as its not just a model but warscroll changes if I remember right.

The old model that I have is a good subsitute for a Slann anyways if necessary.

Yeah pretty certain he will get new (probably higher) points. But I was ready for this at ghb2020, then again at non-FaQ 2021, I have made my peace with that. As for the old model, I'll just stick it on the new base and add some funky columns to fill the space 😅

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 9:36 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

While Kroak is appealing, I'm liking the looks of that Lord of the 7th wind fox from Lumineth.  Seems like the best hero sniper possible.

I see some interesting rules on that warcsroll. Might be useful in some specific matchups.

On 4/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, Turragor said:

Tbh I think the last reveal day (mystery? day) is going to be AoS 3.0. Just a hunch though.

Not only did I guess this but I built this 4 yrs ago (ish) :D

image.png.dbbd4ce9968c1f199268155527c93288.png

Interesting times! Who knows if a Starcast- like approach as SCE will survive?

• Like 2