Starcast - The Thread

Turragor

I like this, it's a pretty sweet spot between the big characters and a few extra units.

Is it legit to use the Slann CA to give the Skinks fly? That's also cool.

I have the models to try this out and might! When covid lets up  :)

Practically I find TTS time hard to allocate - its weird that at the computer you really notice that a game takes a looong time but at the table it feels like time flies by.

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

I wouldn't consider it really (rerolling saves for damage >1 seems overkill when you have +2 to saves and rr1s already) but the list clearly worked well for him so 🤷‍♂️

Thinking about it:

• High rend often goes with high damage so you would be mitigating the risk to some extent there.
  • Lower rend or Higher rend with damage 1 isn't something you worry about (plate of perfect perfection is shoring up your strengths rather than weaknesses in that sense - a bit)
  • Full rrs also probably help on the charge when you're only on +1.

So I actually kinda like it, but you'd need to test it. Or run the math properly. Which I am not great at :)

Was the tournament blocking the new realm artefacts? If so then I think its as good as any Stormcast only choice. When blocked from plate of perfect protection I find myself gravitating to Mirror shield but in those matches with no shooting facing you you're effectively taking no artefact.

18 hours ago, Turragor said:

Thinking about it:

• High rend often goes with high damage so you would be mitigating the risk to some extent there.
  • Lower rend or Higher rend with damage 1 isn't something you worry about (plate of perfect perfection is shoring up your strengths rather than weaknesses in that sense - a bit)
  • Full rrs also probably help on the charge when you're only on +1.

So I actually kinda like it, but you'd need to test it. Or run the math properly. Which I am not great at :)

Was the tournament blocking the new realm artefacts? If so then I think its as good as any Stormcast only choice. When blocked from plate of perfect protection I find myself gravitating to Mirror shield but in those matches with no shooting facing you you're effectively taking no artefact.

The tournament allowed realm artifacts, so it was a deliberte choice to go for this over the PPP (or mirrorschield). Maybe fear of the Gargants? :D Otherwise, considering the meta, it could help survive a charge from attack eels (but there's the zaps...) and against the big KO guns. The game he lost was against a bridge + irondrakes army.

11 minutes ago, Turragor said:

interesting, I played a tight game against a bridge and sisters army (I had 2 dragons and prime) 1 yr ago so not sure how an irondrakes version would differ.

the runelord gives irondrakes rend -2 (with a 2+ prayer) so they can quite reliably point at the Stardrake and kill it -with rr1s to hit they will do on average 13 wounds to a 2+ rr1s save and the bridge in cities gives them 40" range (so they might even be out of unbind range if you didn't bring Kroak / get first turn)

On 12/14/2020 at 4:42 PM, Marcvs said:

I wouldn't consider it really (rerolling saves for damage >1 seems overkill when you have +2 to saves and rr1s already) but the list clearly worked well for him so 🤷‍♂️

Drakescale Armour: Reroll failed save rolls for attacks that target the bearer that have a damage characteristic greater than 1.

As rerolls happen before modifiers, and the artefact specifically mentions "rr failed save rolls", wouldn't that mean you only get to reroll 1s and 2s? 🤔

So the list we were discussing played against the other finalist in the Grand Finale of the League. It was a Cities army with bridge and irondrakes, notably this:

Spoiler

Anca
Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar

- City: Hallowheart
LEADERS
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Artefact: Whitefire Tome - All Spells
- Lore of Whitefire: Crystal Aegis
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Sear Wounds

Runelord (90)
- General
- Command Trait: Veteran of the Blazing Crusade

Battlemage (110)
- Lore of Whitefire: Ignite Weapons
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Roaming Wildfire
- Mortal Realm: Ghur

Knight-Incantor (120)
- Lore of Whitefire: Elemental Cyclone
- City Role: General's Adjutant

Lord-Exorcist (90)
- Lore of Whitefire: Elemental Cyclone

UNITS
30 x Phoenix Guard (420)
20 x Irondrakes (300)
10 x Longbeards (100)

- Ancestral Weapons & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Ancestral Weapons & Shields
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)

10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Soulscream Bridge (100)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

The game was set in Chamon (yup, the Stardrake had +3 to save at a certain moment) and they played Starstrike (which, I'd argue, is a wonderful battleplan for a Starcast-ish list). The game was incredibly close and in the end the Stormcast player won by getting a double turn 3 -> 4. Probably a deciding moment was the fact that the cities player choose to go first (he had less drops) but the Stardrake was out of range of the irondrakes because of screening.

If you speak French or just want to see the game, you can find it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1OoeL1XjW0

Can someone tell me what logic stand behind pricing Evocats for 300 (now 260) and gore gruntas 160???? IJ/Big Wagh have unlimited bigger number of easier buffs than SCE and yet we pay more... 

Duck, I supposted to write it in general... 

Edited by Nizrah
  • Sad 1

On 12/24/2020 at 4:52 AM, Nizrah said:

Can someone tell me what logic stand behind pricing Evocats for 300 (now 260) and gore gruntas 160???? IJ/Big Wagh have unlimited bigger number of easier buffs than SCE and yet we pay more... 

Duck, I supposted to write it in general... 

Because people will complain. Evocators do more damage but are squishier and not battleline, but people will complain more about being killed by evos than a unit of gore gruntas

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, nice to meet you. Got into AoS majorily in 2020 and I will be going to a shop tournament in February. I've played one home game before but never a tournament. This is my version of Starcast that I will (hopefully) have painted up by then. I've watched a lot of battle reports and am aware of the ability of the units but could anyone give me any points on how to play this army in general for a tournament? Or with having such a low wound count is this army not good to use since I don't have extensive knowledge of other meta armies?

LEADERS

Lord Kroak (320)

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)

- General
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender - Celestine Hammer
- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection - Mount Trait: Storm-winged

Celestant-Prime (300)

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (200)

- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield - Mount Trait: Thunder Caller

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (200)

- Mount Trait: Wind Runner

Lord-Exorcist (90)

UNITS

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warhammer & Shield

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warhammer & Shield

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warhammer & Shield

Everblaze Comet (100) Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 8:20 AM, Tridon said:

Hey guys, nice to meet you. Got into AoS majorily in 2020 and I will be going to a shop tournament in February. I've played one home game before but never a tournament. This is my version of Starcast that I will (hopefully) have painted up by then. I've watched a lot of battle reports and am aware of the ability of the units but could anyone give me any points on how to play this army in general for a tournament? Or with having such a low wound count is this army not good to use since I don't have extensive knowledge of other meta armies?

LEADERS

Lord Kroak (320)

- General

Celestant-Prime (300)

Lord-Exorcist (90)

UNITS

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warhammer & Shield

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warhammer & Shield

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warhammer & Shield

Hi! Sorry I missed this, have been a bit busy. My recommendation would be that you've a lot of casters there and no castellant. Lack of bodies is normal for Starcast so that's not necessarily a problem - though when you start playing it it can be unforgiving. Extra bodies as a cushion as you move towards a more "herocast" character heavy list is not a bad idea.

LAoGC is decent healing but Id not take him and an exorcist I think (with Kroak in the mix). Maybe drop him for more libs.

LCoD is also cool but I'd argue for a more efficient choice - increased bodies or a Lord Castellant (makes LCoSD v strong).

It all depends on what you've painted and what you meet tbh - If you're starting and have only so much bought and painted you would get a feel for the style with this list. You may meet some nasty counter and feel out-gunned but maybe you'll get off some nice mw combos :)

A lot of folks are guilty of closely guarding the strongest choices in a faction when ppl ask for army tips, I think that if you know your own army and playtest as much as you can you'll potentially do better than taking what folks tell you to.

Alternatively, you'll experience firsthand what weaknesses you need to shore up and move towards more efficient choices yourself.

Good luck!

Edited by Turragor

On 1/16/2021 at 8:20 AM, Tridon said:

LEADERS

Lord Kroak (320)

- General

Celestant-Prime (300)

Lord-Exorcist (90)

UNITS

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warhammer & Shield

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warhammer & Shield

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warhammer & Shield

This had also flwon under my radar!

Apart from agreeing on all @Turragor 's comments, here's what I would do (so, just my opinion and all that) if I were to change stuff around. The main point is that experience remains the best way to understand what to change in a list. Anyway:

-the celestant on dracoth isn't doing much for you (you also have one mount trait too much since you have no battalions) so it would be a prime candidate to get the axe

-the malevolent maelstorm could even be counterproductive because you are rather spell heavy (6 casts per turn) so I would also take it away

What to do with these 210 + the 10 spare you still have?

My suggestion would be: a lord castellant to complete the stardrake combo, a balewind vortex for kroak and 10 allied skinks (or aetherwings if you don't have them + might deny a triumph to your opponent). If you don't want the balewind (or just can't find the model :D ), you can take khinerai heartrenders instead of skinks as they still fit into the allies cap and offer some more deepstriking

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the new stormkeep rules? I was wondering if getting access to slightly cheaper battle line would help out. Perhaps freeguild guard could act as better chaff/blockers than liberators?

What are peoples opinions on the following list? I have a friend who really dislikes facing named characters so I'm trying to make a list without Kroak :/

I popped in the protectors as a little extra protection for the slann. I've never used them before so not sure how effective they are really.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders

- General

- Celestine Hammer

- Command Trait: Staunch Defender

- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection

- Mount Trait: Storm-winged

Drakesworn Templar (420)

- Tempest Axe

Lord-Castellant (120)

Lord-Exorcist (90)

- Spell: Chain Lightning

Slann Starmaster (260)

- Allies

Battleline

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warblade & Shield

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warblade & Shield

10 x Freeguild Guard (80)

- Swords and Shields

Units

5 x Protectors (170)

- 2x Starsoul Maces

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

- Allies

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs

Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 340 / 400

Wounds: 100

On 2/8/2021 at 9:02 PM, SentinelGuy said:

Has anyone tried the new stormkeep rules? I was wondering if getting access to slightly cheaper battle line would help out. Perhaps freeguild guard could act as better chaff/blockers than liberators?

What are peoples opinions on the following list? I have a friend who really dislikes facing named characters so I'm trying to make a list without Kroak :/

I popped in the protectors as a little extra protection for the slann. I've never used them before so not sure how effective they are really.

Leaders

- General

- Celestine Hammer

Drakesworn Templar (420)

- Tempest Axe

Lord-Castellant (120)

Lord-Exorcist (90)

Slann Starmaster (260)

- Allies

Battleline

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warblade & Shield

5 x Liberators (90)

- Warblade & Shield

10 x Freeguild Guard (80)

- Swords and Shields

Units

5 x Protectors (170)

- 2x Starsoul Maces

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

- Allies

Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Allies: 340 / 400

Wounds: 100

I would run saurus guard with the slann in order to increase the survivability (much better than what's offered by protectors, which can be replicated by... being in cover). This means taking out the tree revs. I am not sure that the 10 points and 5 bodies gained with freeguild guard is worth losing the possibility of keeping 2 units of liberators in the sky to threaten objectives in the first 3 turns

• Thanks 1

Hi all, new stormcast player here. Been directed here by the stormcast thread as I have the following models already and am keen for list building advise:

Prime, stardrake, 25 libs

anything even slightly competitive would be nice (used to playing Sylvaneth so anything will seem powerful)

from what I’ve read lord castellent seems a no brainer? Can’t fit in all the goodies I want so would appreciate what people think work well and what certain things bring to the list. I am thinking about adding: slann, lord-arcanum & comet or 6 evocators on dracs?

all advice appreciated 

2 hours ago, Will Rogers said:

Hi all, new stormcast player here. Been directed here by the stormcast thread as I have the following models already and am keen for list building advise:

anything even slightly competitive would be nice (used to playing Sylvaneth so anything will seem powerful)

from what I’ve read lord castellent seems a no brainer? Can’t fit in all the goodies I want so would appreciate what people think work well and what certain things bring to the list. I am thinking about adding: slann, lord-arcanum & comet or 6 evocators on dracs?

all advice appreciated 

Hey!

So you'd have base 3x5 libs, LCoSD, Prime, Lord castellant, slann, LA on gryph charger - I'd think on the gryph charger even with extra cost. On foot he won't get where he needs to be and you'd be wiser taking Lord Exorcist (just for comet casting) - and a comet.

250 points over then.

Given you mention libs, and given Starcast style can feel like a lot of fiddly combos or moving parts when you pick it up, you might just go for 5x 5 libs (not big blocks maybe as they are not at all brave despite the lore).

Or 4x5 and some aetherwings.  There's actually a lot to do with 250. It depends on what you've got models wise and what you're willing to invest money and paint time wise before a new book - which I have to believe is due this year.

Something thats just for sitting on objectives and letting you have more deployed in the stars (as more can be on the field).

If you test that out and feel youre missing something, I'd consider looking at some of the 'pure' starcast lists with 3x5 libs. If you already feel like you don't want to run so many bodies, you could do Knight Heraldor for terrain-tootin'. Also helps with mobility of some pieces allowing running and charging for the drake.

The Prime scepter, rain of stars, slann with comets call and the everblaze comet is already pretty potent though.

There are some pinned lists in the first post  -including a 6 dracoline build (Starkitties). I've got some details for how you might think when deploying/ playing in my honestwargamer list rundowns buuut Ive not played much AoS with the pandemic etc for the past year so I am not sure of some of the nuances of the current meta.

@Marcvs has been very active on TTS though so has great, current tips.

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Rogers said:

all advice appreciated

Hi and welcome!

While a Starcast build is not top-tables material, it surely fits the definition of "slightly competitive", especially once you acquire a little bit of experience playing it.

You conclusion for the next buy is correct: the Lord Castellant is very useful in Starcast (and is a good buy in general, as he fits in many SCE configurations).

As for the next steps:

- A slann is a good choice. Kroak is probably better at the moment so you might want to consider him instead but be aware that you might only get to enjoy him at current points for 6 months. If you go for the Slann, you might also consider 5 Saurus Guards to provide survivability -the Slann being otherwise very squishy.

- The Everblaze Comet is another safe buy: it's great in Starcast, but also can fit other SCE lists. As for the wizard, since you are running Liberators, I would go for the Knight Incantor instead of the Arcanum: he's cheaper and the auto-unbind scroll is amazing. Alternatively you can also get a lord exorcist (or proxy a lord arcanum on foot for him).

- If you want to include some cavalry, the Draocthian guard synergises better with a Stardrake but they are also expensive (in terms of money and points). A Knight Heraldor is also a good investment if you bring cavalry, and overall another safe buy

This could be a starting base if you go for the Slann option (can replace him and the guards with Kroak). The remaining points can be used to experiment: more liberators, an heraldor, 2 concussors...

Spoiler
- General
- Celestine Hammer
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (120)
Celestant-Prime (300)
Slann Starmaster (260)
- Allies
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Saurus Guard (100)
- Allies
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1770 / 2000
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 82

If you don't go for the Slann you might instead go for more cavalry like this:

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
- Celestine Hammer
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Spell: Lightning Blast
Celestant-Prime (300)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
2 x Concussors (220)
2 x Concussors (220)
3 x Aetherwings (40)

Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96

Of course these are just quick ideas, the best is just to experiment and try stuff to see what works for your playstyle!

• Like 1

Thanks for the useful feedback. 

looks like a slann/kroak is worth getting then (not sure about using saurus guard as I’m trying to keep it a bit themed)

then it’s a toss up between Knight incantor (loving that scroll) or lord exorcist for comet casting? Also like the idea of trumpet guy

Are evocators of any kind worth it? Their mortal ability just seems so good?

is the general tactic for deployment to keep the libs in the sky for late game drop down and objective capture? Also, would you start the prime in the sky and bring him down turn 2?

sorry for all the questions 

On 2/15/2021 at 11:40 AM, Will Rogers said:

toss up between Knight incantor (loving that scroll) or lord exorcist for comet casting?

Incantor is always better unless your list has some other really good ideas that need points that make the exorcist the best caster choice.

Are evocators of any kind worth it? Their mortal ability just seems so good?

They were great when the scroll was introduced - then most other releases caught up (in a big way). So they're not a scroll that wins matches alone.

If you want to try them, the ones on kittys have the speed you need but are dearer. Most SC lists (now) don't have a lot of room for pointsinks (400+ point units) after the essential tools. Starcast takes 2 or 3 off the bat so you're left with little to spend. There IS that starkitty list though, I've just not tried it myself.

is the general tactic for deployment to keep the libs in the sky for late game drop down and objective capture?

Depending on what I face, I shield the dragons with my libs (in which case they can't be in the sky) or my libs with my dragons (so they can be). You'll get a feel for which your opponent will target. If they can't easily kill a Stardrake they will look to the Prime and your objective cappers.

I usually have the LCoSD on the field to get LC buff - watch for indicators your opponent may take the first round. Even if it opens you up to a double turn quickly, Starcast loves to go first.

"Late game" capping is coming down r3 (can't come down 4 or 5) and then you've to 'move' onto objectives in some cases so they don't cap on the way down unless maybe they find a way to move after setup.

Also, would you start the prime in the sky and bring him down turn 2?

Matchup dependent again but often yes, or turn 1. The comet is very nice and gains value the longer he can use it. There are edge cases for using the prime as a r3 assassin. I think I wrote in my rundown I've never left him off to r4 or 5 even with the bonus to attacks. R3 is usually enough to take out a bunch of models in melee - if chip damage won't cut it.

That's the prime's biggest strength in the list, for those matchups where you don't favour chip damage (I really missed him in one of my last tournament games where I faced terrorgheists, that said, I don't think he'd have gotten to swung first there anyway at that stage of the "activation wars" so its kind of a moot point).

One thing I think is important to emphasise is:

On 2/15/2021 at 11:11 AM, Marcvs said:

While a Starcast build is not top-tables material, it surely fits the definition of "slightly competitive", especially once you acquire a little bit of experience playing it.

That's the key takeaway with Starcast right now I think, but a new book is due any month now, covid/brexit and chaos depending :)

I am pretty confident that Starcast as a playstyle will still be viable with a new book but I believe that they shouldn't buff the core concept (chip mw damage without counter play) because of how non-interactive it is.

I would rather have them buff the baseline SC units so starcast becomes a way to add a bit of reach and flexibility to a hammer list or gives long reach to a static anvil type list.

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 11:11 AM, Marcvs said:

Hide contents

Leaders
- General
- Celestine Hammer
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Spell: Lightning Blast
Celestant-Prime (300)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
2 x Concussors (220)
2 x Concussors (220)
3 x Aetherwings (40)

Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96

Of course these are just quick ideas, the best is just to experiment and try stuff to see what works for your playstyle!

I love the second list you got there Marcus, the question i have i simple, why would you use two units of 2 concussors and not one big unit of 4?

4 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

I love the second list you got there Marcus, the question i have i simple, why would you use two units of 2 concussors and not one big unit of 4?

My reasons for the 2x2 instead of 1x4:

-Big bases: it's harder to get them all in combat in a unit of 4

-The list is already low on bodies so more board control is very useful (concussors are "sole operator" so they can go around while the Stardrake + friends occupy the centre)

-Bravery: sadly they're only bravery 7 so if you lose 2 (or 3) you risk losing another one on a 6 (or 5). That's BIG at a 110 pts per model

The only element in favour of going 1x4 in this list is the heraldor: you can give them all run and charge.

In any case the best thing is to experiment and see what works for you!

I prefer concussors in units of 4, unit activation is so important and 2 will not really kill anything and open yourself up to a counter attack, 4 actually stands a chance of devastating a unit or monster completely. It also makes them a good alternative target for the +1 save from a castellant and increases the chance of landing those 6s to hit, which disables enemy unit pile-in, I can say from experience that is a BIG deal, in addition to giving them reroll 1s to hit.

Using a list with a stardrake celestant, kroak, prime and 4 concussors as the main pieces I have done quite well in tournaments and tabled everything from eel spam to hearthguard fyreslayer spam lists. The drake gets the plate of perfect protection and staunch, so if not charging it will have a 2+ reroll 1s save against anything but rend 2 or more. This opens up more to give the dracoths the +1 lantern save, making them super terrifying, stand these 2 units together and they are invulnerable if not charging to anything but the highest rend and ofc mortal wound spam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1