Starcast - The Thread

Turragor

Starcast with Kroak could definitely have legs. 

Tonight I'm going to try LCoD, Kroak, Incantor and Castellant. 

Everblaze comet, spell portal, purple sun. 

3x Libs and 4x Desolators that can either bunker up in the Staunch Defender bubble or use their speed to grab objectives or deepstrike and do further chip damage with the dracoths' bad breath. 

Will report back. 

• Like 1

What about something a little more conservative than Double Dragon?

Maybe something like:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
- General
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales OR Sword of Judgement
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged

Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Chain Lightning OR Stormcaller
Lord Kroak (430) -> will be (320)
- Allies

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield

10 x Evocators (440)
- Spell: Speed of Lightning

Everblaze Comet (100)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Would still have +1 to casting for Kroak and the Incantors, for Comet/MW spam, but also has the 10-strong Evo unit to counter charge whatever your opponent sends at your casters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sleepa said:

What about something a little more conservative than Double Dragon?

[...]

Would still have +1 to casting for Kroak and the Incantors, for Comet/MW spam, but also has the 10-strong Evo unit to counter charge whatever your opponent sends at your casters.

Nice! My 2 cents: if you go for less bonuses to cast, I would swap an incantor for either a) an heraldor, which would help the evocators get in to combat when needed, or b) upgrading the templar to celestant and gravetide to something more useful (spellportal or geminids maybe). I think those would be more useful than chain lightning or stormcaller going off on 6+

Edited by Marcvs

41 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Nice! My 2 cents: if you go for less bonuses to cast, I would swap an incantor for either a) an heraldor, which would help the evocators get in to combat when needed, or b) upgrading the templar to celestant and gravetide to something more useful (spellportal or geminids maybe). I think those would be more useful than chain lightning or stormcaller going off on 6+

Thanks for the advice! I'm not actually working on a list like this yet, just love theory crafting and offering my ideas. Honestly the second Incantor was just in there for Everblaze Comet redundancy, in case the opponent manages to assassinate the first Incantor. The auto-dispel never hurts either. Gravetide was just in there because there were 20 points left over, but it's a decent piece of area denial for the Slaan to throw between itself and a flanking cavalry unit.

• Like 1

Ok, if I was  to play with Kroak, that's what I would bring :

- Mortal Realm: Aqshy

LEADERS
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait : Storm-winged

Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)

- Spell : Azyrite Halo
Celestant-Prime (340)
Kroakausurus Rex (340)
Celestant-Prime

UNITS
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Shooting star from Dragon + Comet from Incantor + Half a comet from Kroak + Another 10" half a comet from Kroak (use spellportal)+ Scepter from Celestant Prime :

First turn, they shouln't be any support heroes left on the table.

Edited by Maturin

So I'm playing with a sSarcast list right now. What I'm wondering is what if I try to put in a thunderhead brotherhood with my battlelines and open up the opportunity to use celestial warbringers as a stormhost? So I'm fiddling with a list and this is what I'm getting so far as a base

Celestant on Stardrake with Ignax scales

Lord Arcanum on Tauralon with Hammer of Augury

Slann Starmaster

5xJudicators

5xJudicators

5xLiberators

5xLiberators 

Thunderhead Brotherhood Battalion

Everblaze Comet

That leaves me with 140 points left for something. Maybe I get a Knight Vexillor and go for a T1 alpha strike with the meteor standard? That'd be 5 drops total, CP generation so I can give the Arcanum +2 to cast (Drake bubble and Warbringers Command Ability) 

Or does the loss of staunch and casteklant in this list just make it totally unusable? 

And for transparency's sake, I'm primarily building a list to play against a friend's Hermdar Fyreslayers list. 

8 minutes ago, DeadpoolNakago said:

Or does the loss of staunch and casteklant in this list just make it totally unusable?

Commenting only on this point and on the basis of my (limited) experience: I have found the loss of staunch defender quite important, because as soon as you are facing rend 1 attacks (that is, quite frequently) you are on a 3+ rr1 save, which means that you take around 20% of the incoming damage and cannot recover wounds from the castellant's lantern... which, ah, I notice now you are not taking. Then, again IMHO, I would say that taking the stardrake in such a configuration is not really viable, as I fear it will just die too easily to the bersekers :/ (possibly in one turn of combat)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Commenting only on this point and on the basis of my (limited) experience: I have found the loss of staunch defender quite important, because as soon as you are facing rend 1 attacks (that is, quite frequently) you are on a 3+ rr1 save, which means that you take around 20% of the incoming damage and cannot recover wounds from the castellant's lantern... which, ah, I notice now you are not taking. Then, again IMHO, I would say that taking the stardrake in such a configuration is not really viable, as I fear it will just die too easily to the bersekers :/ (possibly in one turn of combat)

Fair enough. As far as I know anyway I wouldn't beat the guys drops still. So I wouldn't be going first, still. And all the battalion would give me in return is allow me to take scales and run a stormhost for another +1 to cast for the Arcanum. 

I'm limited with options to run myself, I only got one Stardrake so I don't have the second large threat like a celestant prime or second Stardrake. I'd either run the Arcanum or more Wizards and heroes like a heraldor and/or Vexillor if running the meteoric standard would be viable for a first turn alpha comet explosion. 

31 minutes ago, DeadpoolNakago said:

Fair enough. As far as I know anyway I wouldn't beat the guys drops still. So I wouldn't be going first, still. And all the battalion would give me in return is allow me to take scales and run a stormhost for another +1 to cast for the Arcanum. 

I'm limited with options to run myself, I only got one Stardrake so I don't have the second large threat like a celestant prime or second Stardrake. I'd either run the Arcanum or more Wizards and heroes like a heraldor and/or Vexillor if running the meteoric standard would be viable for a first turn alpha comet explosion. 

Ok so, I don't think aphastrike is a good option against fyreslayers, unless you can get to their support heroes (you shouldn't unless your opponent really deploys badly). So this leaves shooting and magic to kill those, plus the Stardrake as anvil to tie up the bersekers. I don't know what you have but you can surely do something without the prime or a second drake. Just to give you some ideas to play with, when I did not have access to these I tried the following options (essentially using ballistas to complement the damage from comet and rain of stars) and was quite satisfied with both:

1)

Spoiler

Knight-Azyros (100)
Lord-Castellant (120)

- General

Lord-Ordinator (140)
Lord-Exorcist (120)

Spellweaver (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
10 x Skinks (70) (<- skinks are much less interesting now I'd say)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Everblaze Comet (100)

2)

Spoiler

Knight-Azyros (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Lord-Ordinator (140)

- General

Lord-Castellant (120)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)

Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Everblaze Comet (100)

Edited by Marcvs

21 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Ok so, I don't think aphastrike is a good option against fyreslayers, unless you can get to their support heroes (you shouldn't unless your opponent really deploys badly).

Alright. Thanks for the assessment, there. It was looking for trying to off the supports but yeah maybe too unfeasible. 

Thanks for the ideas.with the ordinators+azyros+ballista. I have two ballistas and the heroes so it can be an option. I'm at least settling then on a base Fielding of a Stardrake, castellant, slann Starmaster, exorcist, 3x liberator units, and everblaze comet. I'll still have 600 points available to play with after that. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DeadpoolNakago said:

I'll still have 600 points available to play with after that. 

That's a cool core I'd say (one more ballista might be interesting in the future so that the investment in the Ordinator has better returns).

For the last 600 points, maybe one more endless spell since you have the slann (like geminids), raptors with Aetherwings to stop some charges, dracothian guards (concussors) who profit from the Drake's CA, or 10 Evocators and an heraldor for a countercharge. Or a Gotrek, because why not: the drake should be tanky enough to give him time to get in combat (in that case, maybe include an heraldor and/or cogs)

2 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Or a Gotrek, because why not: the drake should be tanky enough to give him time to get in combat (in that case, maybe include an heraldor and/or cogs)

I think Gotrek locks all other allies right? Otherwise I'd do Gotrek, Kroak, LCoSD lol

/Edit Exactly, boooo! :)

image.png.a53ed8c2c0bb7f606a3e07c4f0eb11df.png

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 1

For those who don't have double dragon, or really see the potential in the prime:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Everblaze Comet (100)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 80

This and my first list are the two "branches" I want to test. There will be small tweaks to each ofc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marcvs said:

Oh true, my bad, I forgot the Slann already in the list!

Is ok, I was equally as sad when I realized this possability LOL. Heraldor and Evocs may be where I'm going at. I'm definitely adding a Heraldor, but I'm also wondering about maybe upgrading exorcist to Arcanum on Tauraline, and adding a Celestant on Dracoth. Sort of go for 1 more spell, another large body, and theres the stormbreath on the celestant on dracoth for more shooting attacks that do d3 MW that aren't missile weapons.

Honestly though might just keep the exorcist (Or make him Knight-Incantor), but keep LC on Dracoth

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

Why a relictor and not the cogs like in my list ? What would you use translocation on ?

Main thought would be obj grabbing after r3. Tbh the last 100 points are very open. I could just remove the relictor as a selection. I don't think it's important. Endless spells or perhaps the good old Heraldor could be better.

Edited by Turragor

5 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Thats why they shouldnt nerf it, ppl buying Stardrakes is a WIN

Well, I was tired of asking my friend to lend me his Stardrakes, soooooo.
DAMN YOU GW!

I hate you for the incoming nerf!

100% customers would give money and happily be nerfed again.

Edited by Maturin