Does anyone know how to clean up mistakes with citadel contrast paints?

So i just got some contrast paints and they are great for all my fleshy barbarians, but I am a crappy painter with a shaky hand and I make a lot of mistakes and I spend a lot of time painting over those mistakes.  My question is how do I do that with contrast paints.  Since part of what they do is let the base coat shine through do I just paint over with base coat and then hit them with contrast again?  Also I messed up on one and did too many coats of contrast and as a result it doesn't look how I would like it.  I am hesitant to base coat the whole thing again because that would clog a lot of detail.  

Any help would be appreciated and thanks.

I would suggest a painting handle (GW one is really popular) to help you hold the model. Watch some videos and look how painters hold their hands and practice; A good desk height (tip your standard table is a rubbish height to work on because its too low) can give you a high solid resting platform to bring the model to your eyes instead of forcing you to bend your back and head to the model. 

A powerful light helps and some people also use those magnifying glasses with torches in them to help see clearer. 

All that is aiming to help reduce your chances of errors taking place to start with. 

For mistakes you can wipe off contrast if you make an error early. If you make mistakes that then dry you can coat over them again with a base coat and start again; however when you start getting to the point where your'e doing this multiple times with layer after layer of paint then I think reducing the chance of errors is important (practice is also invaluable and the one thing you can't rush). If it really gets bag look up paint-stripping for models - strip and restart. 

• Like 2

In addition to what Overread wrote, water will pretty much dilute Contrast paints while they are still wet - if you ****** something up, just get a wet brush and wipe as much away as you can. Wraithbone and Grey Seer in pots also are good for covering smaller mistakes.

As for the model you're not happy with, you can try to respray with the Contrast color. It goes on pretty fine, so if you aren't heavy handed, you might be able to get away without obscuring detail.

If you need to strip, if you're in the US, I recommend Super Clean - it's in a purple jug and you can get it at Walmart or auto stores. Put your model(s) into a (preferably) sealable glass jar or other container and add enough Super Clean to cover the model. Let sit for a few days and you should be able to lightly scrub the paint off with a toothbrush.