What is the most popular army ?

Jamie

Well there is a very limited number of armies and 100.000's of players. So there is a good chance you will encounter a similar army at some point.

Exactly this.

Only other option is to scout out whoever you are most likely to play, from what I've seen there's a huge variety however the newer releases tend to be quite popular.

I actually haven't seen many bloodbound armies about.

I've learned the hard way, that you shouldn't worry about this too much.  I mean unless it in one way or another drives your passion for the game.  For me, the first question I have to ask myself is do I like the look of the models, and then can I get behind the lore?  If the answer to either is no, then the army will never see glue, let alone a paintbrush or the table.

Don't get me wrong, I would hate to end up playing the same army as everyone else, or get stuck with the army that is most likely to loose, because the current popular army has an answer to anything I can put out.  But neither of those things matter for me, if my models never even get built.

I have seen quite a lot of Khorne chaos armies and stormcasts. I guess it is driven by the starter box and to some extent the fact that chaos can be used in AoS and 40k.

Obviously the fact that the figures are fantastic also has something to do with it.

Hard to say. 

Here's one personal impression of what's popular so far:

• Stormcast 
  • Khorne (Bloodbound + Daemons)
  • Ironjawz
  • Sylvaneth

Sylvaneth have been selling incredibly well in particular. The latest Heelanhammer episode said as much.

Fyreslayers seemed (and still seem) lackluster as a solo faction from the view of general-purpose competitive play. Hopefully the rumored Allegiances of the Realms book will improve them considerably through unique Battle Traits, Command Traits, and Artefacts of Power.

When you combine their relative lacklusterness, the lukewarm view many had/have regarding their models, and their higher cost (they don't have – understandably [I stand corrected, see below] – a Start Collecting box), all of those things have cut into the collective interest.

I'm hopeful the rumored steamhead duardin will combine an amazing aesthetic with a distinct, exciting, competitive style (or styles) of play.

Yeah Stormcast, sylvaneth and mortal chaos seem to be the most popular in my experience. 

Least popular would be Fyreslayers, elves and bretonnia. 

Faction wise I think going from most to least popular would be. 

Order > Chaos > Death > Destruction 

however with the new battletomes destruction could over take death. 

I think rather than what army is most popular around your local area, it's more what grand alliance.

Lets say for instance I'm interested in playing either Seraphon or Ironjawz. Well if your area has like 7-8 regulars and 6 of them are playing Order, you might want to pick Ironjawz just to get a bit of variety in what alliances people are a part of (Even if there are no Seraphon players).

But if you're really keen for a particular army just do it. No point collecting an army that you're not really keen on just so you can diversify for the sake of your opponents.

I think it depends entirely on where you're going to be playing :)  Have a look at the results PDF on the Warhammer World Facebook page for Sundays "Seeds of Hope" event and you'll see a lot more Order armies than anything else.  There was quite a bit of diversity in them though.  If you look at Death they had the least players and highest win ratio - but lowest favourite vote too.  But this was just a tiny snapshot

Are you not wanting to face a similar army because you're concerned you'll not enjoy the game or dislike the "fluff" of two similar armies fighting together?

8 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

They (Fyreslayers) don't have – understandably – a Start Collecting box

Why understandably?  Sure the centerpiece Magmadroth might be too much to fit into a Start Collecting, but why not pile a couple of units and character in there?

Vulkite Berzerkers + Auric Hearthguard + Grimwrath Berzerker    would be a nice deal

14 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

Stormcast seem popular, Fyreslayers seem the least popular.

I wouldn't say Fyreslayers, as they have a devoted following and you see them in store and at tournaments (albeit not doing very well). I personally have not seen any 'Dark Elves' this year, at all, though if rumours are to be believed I imagine this will be changing soon.

8 hours ago, BrAiKo said:

Why understandably?  Sure the centerpiece Magmadroth might be too much to fit into a Start Collecting, but why not pile a couple of units and character in there?

Vulkite Berzerkers + Auric Hearthguard + Grimwrath Berzerker    would be a nice deal

Great point. Consider the comment rescinded. :) That seems like an excellent Start Collecting box.

The question is one of solely local scope.  Every area will have a different answer.

Warhammer World had Death leading the summer campaign right up to the very end.  I've played against Death fewer than ten times in over 100 AoS games to date.  That's about as far a swing as you could imagine.

Great point. Consider the comment rescinded. [emoji4] That seems like an excellent Start Collecting box.

That would be excellent except for the fact you'd end up with about 10 Grimwrath berserkers.

To be honest just a box of vulkites and a box of Hearthguard would be a welcome deal [emoji23]. Although I already have 30 models of each so would also be very upset.

27 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

That would be excellent except for the fact you'd end up with about 10 Grimwrath berserkers.

To be honest just a box of vulkites and a box of Hearthguard would be a welcome deal emoji23.png. Although I already have 30 models of each so would also be very upset.

Wait...what's wrong with 10 Grimwrath Berzerkers? 

:D

5 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

To be honest just a box of vulkites and a box of Hearthguard would be a welcome deal emoji23.png. Although I already have 30 models of each so would also be very upset.

Well I wasn't going to go with the Auric Runemaster since he's already in the Silver Tower bundle.

I'll add my 2 cents. I think the newest releases are certainly driving the most popular new armies. And here's the thing, within a given faction you can build a list that plays so different than someone else playing that faction, AND you can paint/model/give narrative that's so different, that I think you'll still enjoy facing off against them. I think Stormcast, bloodbound, and sylvaneth have the most variety within their faction to achieve this.

On 8/16/2016 at 4:09 PM, Redmanphill said:

Stormcast seem popular, Fyreslayers seem the least popular.

SE are popular. I seem to be one of the only guys fielding Fyreslayers solo though I see so many building Fyreslayers for GA and even more for solo Fyreslayers like me. Haven't faced much death lately but it of course always depends on where you game.

Archived