Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sleboda

Custom Bonereapers Chessex Dice

Recommended Posts

Hi all.

Way back when, I was an organizer for an order of over 3000 custom Tomb Kings dice. We made a video. It was a thing. It was fun.

Now I want to do an order for Bonereapers dice. I don't want to do something as complicated as last time, with international hubs, redistribution, multiple colors and symbols, etc., but I do want to see if anyone else wants to get in on it.

It will probably have the Mortek Guard symbol on the 6 face. It will probably be purple with white pips or some other simple combo. (I highly value ease of reading the dice on the table.)

 

Interested?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely be in for something like that, the basic prototype of purple w/ white pips and the Mortek symbol sounds perfect.  

Edited by Dreilide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds like a great idea! Great colours too.

Assuming you order 3000+ dice again, how much would a set of 25 cost me? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's early, and I really doubt we will hit 3000 dice. That old order was a huge effort, with international sub-shipping stations, local coordinators, and, frankly, a whole lot more work than I'm willing to put in. :)

That said, they start at $1 each and go down from there. Per their website:

10-25 dice: $1.00 per side
26-99 dice: $0.75 per side
100-199 dice: $0.60 per side
200-499 dice: $0.50 per side
500 + dice: $0.42 per side

I'm likely to order 100 on my own, so we're down to 60 cents each right away.

I'll keep checking here for responses and to update folks. I expect to place the order before the end of 2019, likely mid-December.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, and this is important - I am a huge believer is protecting copyright. I don't think this crosses the line, but on the off chance that it does, I will not in any way challenge it.

That means we should be prepared to use an alternate design. I would love, love, love for folks to submit their simple line art icons for the dice just in case we can't use the little bug-and-dot shape.  Post your grx here!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better ask Chessex whether they are still doing something like that first. I've heard they don't do GW symbols on dice anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The general shape of the ossiarch cartouches is generic enough to probably not be an issue, especially squashed & widened a bit to better fit into a square die face.  What you do want to do is come up with a unique symbol for the center of it.  Honestly, something close to the standard 6 pips arranged in two vertical rows of three would look cool while also being immediately recognizable as a six, so there'd be no confusion over whether the special character represented a six or a one.  Maybe instead of circular pips more flattened lines such that the overall effect might vaguely suggest a rib cage.

Quick mock up in paint:

cartouche_small.png.4f9f37e737b3e5a6055c7f7cca1f7e73.png

Simple, clear OBR aesthetic, easily readable as a 6, shaped to fit a square die face, doesn't directly copy any of the published GW symbols.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 7:53 AM, Sception said:

The general shape of the ossiarch cartouches is generic enough to probably not be an issue, especially squashed & widened a bit to better fit into a square die face.  What you do want to do is come up with a unique symbol for the center of it.  Honestly, something close to the standard 6 pips arranged in two vertical rows of three would look cool while also being immediately recognizable as a six, so there'd be no confusion over whether the special character represented a six or a one.  Maybe instead of circular pips more flattened lines such that the overall effect might vaguely suggest a rib cage.

Quick mock up in paint:

cartouche_small.png.4f9f37e737b3e5a6055c7f7cca1f7e73.png

Simple, clear OBR aesthetic, easily readable as a 6, shaped to fit a square die face, doesn't directly copy any of the published GW symbols.

Really nice work! 

Care to do another version with a dot under it, ala the GW symbol?

 

FYI to all- 

Based on the feedback so far, I am planning to order 100-200 each of 2 or 3 of the colors shown. Preferences?

I will order probably 500 dice, keeping 200 for me and taking care of others with the rest. I plan to put the order in some time in December,

Please speak now.

 

 

purple.jpg

purple2.jpg

purple3.jpg

red.jpg

regenred.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these going to be the 12mm, or the 16mm D6 size?  I'm partial to the first (purp w/ white) for most of what I'd want, and a few of the third (swirl purple w/ gold) for special weapons and characters and the like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case I'd be down for 40 of the purple/white, and 10 of the lighter purple swirl w/ gold (number 3).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final call for design submissions. If you have a nice piece of line art you'd like to suggest for the dice, please post it here by midnight Dec 31. If nothing comes in, I'll make something, order a bunch of dice, and then post here what comes in so folks can get some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm down for 40 black-red and 20 black-purple or swirling purple with gold pips

EDIT: And I'll need another 60 black-red

Edited by XReN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, XReN said:

I'm down for 40 black-red and 20 black-purple or swirling purple with gold pips

Cool! Got any art to suggest/provide as an option for the 6 face?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sleboda said:

Cool! Got any art to suggest/provide as an option for the 6 face?

Unfortunately not really talented with drawing :)

I'll also update my post in a minute, a friend of mine want some dice too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's ok. 🙂

Don't worry too much about being exact with colors and quantities. I mean, it's helpful to give me an idea,  but in the end I'm going to order 500 to 1000 dice in a variety of colors and then come back here to let people know what I got in and take "orders" for them. I'm not planning a profit. I will take what I pay, add in shipping to wherever you are, and ship as people ask. When they are gone, they are gone, and if I'm stuck with 700 dice, oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 11:09 AM, Sleboda said:

That's ok. 🙂

Don't worry too much about being exact with colors and quantities. I mean, it's helpful to give me an idea,  but in the end I'm going to order 500 to 1000 dice in a variety of colors and then come back here to let people know what I got in and take "orders" for them. I'm not planning a profit. I will take what I pay, add in shipping to wherever you are, and ship as people ask. When they are gone, they are gone, and if I'm stuck with 700 dice, oh well.

Did you order these in the end? I would also be keen on a set if available 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a sight delay, but will be ordering in the next week or so. I'll update when it happens. I'm excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not where I would like it. I'm struggling to create a design I really like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, what is the color combo for the second one down? Dark purple and gold. I think the cartouch with six dashes

on the 6 would look sharp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few minor variants on my original sketch:

Spoiler

cartouche.png.376bdc4a3814bbb33767b5da066a2747.pngcartouche2.png.1e2d60902b146660cfe19ce9380ceefa.pngCartouche3.png.6927f3bdc3093393c8a70b6b9de33f07.pngCartouche4.png.22abcf47508064ca15988a1fa943a5c8.pngCartouche5.png.3b3cc07547e37383ac5b17bfd1d42df0.pngCartouche6.png.a6504af298fa97d2ee0290b00bc99c9b.png

My preference is still the first, since it can be so clearly read as six pips, and thus avoids the momentary confusion that sometimes comes with custom dice over whether the symbol is in place of a one or a six.  The extra dots don't work as well in these designs because they tend to make the overall symbols read as weird/silly faces instead of stylized rib cages.

These are all done in mspaint with a touchpad.  I could do a few slightly more complex symbols on Saturday when I regain access to my proper supplies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...