OBR - Aegis Immortal vs Katakrosian Deathglaive?

T e e t h p a s t e

What points level are we talking about for this scenario? Nagash, 3x10 Mortek Guard for fulfilling minimum battleline requirements and either of these battalions comes to 1960 points. So assuming we are considering a 2000 point list I would give preference to the Katakrosian Deathglaive over the Aegis Immortal. The Katakrosian Deathglaive takes aggressive units and gets them up the board quicker, making it harder for the enemy to claim objectives or just flat out killing everything that gets in their way. The Aegis Immortal I really want to like as it takes character protection to a whole new level but it sucks up 690 points which is just over 1/3 of a standard 2000 point list to make an already quite resilient army a little bit tougher.  With Nagash added to the mix taking another big chunk of points up in the list the last thing he needs is a high priced bodyguard battalion from which only one of the constituent units can keep up with him, the Katakrosian Deathglaive at least puts another threat on the board to try and draw the opponents attention away from Nagash. 

• 4 weeks later...

In 5000 point games I prefer the aegis.  At that points value you can actually field it, and the risk of the enemy having enough firepower to blast even your big heroes off the board turn 1 is enough to warrant the extra protection.

At 2000 points it's just too pricey, especially with nagash, but the same could probably be said for the deathglaive.