Question about pre-orders and retail releases

So while this is about 40k it applies to Sigmar because I may want to pre-order certain items.  I went to my local retailer (not a GW store but one that stocks it) and pre-ordered the sisters of battle box.  Now the sisters sold out online in 1 minute does that mean the retail stores won't get any.  In the rumor thread it sounded like that but it doesn't seem right to me.  Anyway I am thinking that retailers will have a different channel to pre-order stuff, but I don't know because GW has such strict rules about what you can sell and for how much.  I am asking this because I desperately want the nighthaunt battleforce and I assume that will sell out in minutes online, so should I pre-order that from my retailer or will that be a ****** shoot as well.  Thanks to any help I can get on this as I am currently in a state of nerd panic about this.

I wouldn't panic. It is my understanding that local,  non-GW shops get a portion of the print run independent of GW's online store.  Depending on how may boxes get allocated to your store, you should get the SoB (Sisters of Battle) box. This should be true for the battle force boxes this Xmas as well. Plastic Sisters of Battle figures have been requested for a long time and the army has a huge pent-up demand.  It is unclear night haunt has that level of demand currently.

BTW: The local GW stores will also get a portion of the SoB print run (probably no more than 1 or 2 boxes) but that will probably sell out within hours of the store open on the 29th.

• Thanks 1

You should be fine ordering from your local retailer, unless it is shady. There have occasionally been issues of retailers promising customer more stock than they have been  allocated by gw. 

Also I would be extremely surprised if the battleforces sell out nearly as quickly as the sisters box. They aren’t new minis after all. 

• Thanks 1

Imperial ( or space marine really...) battle forces tend to sell out quickly, but AoS ones tend to have a longer shelf life, and there is usually at least one that never sells out at all. They are limited sets, but don't contain new or limited content, thy are just a discount. I've never had trouble preordering from an flgs, or just picking one up when they came into the shop.

• Thanks 1

IIRC, over the last two years, all the battleforces have been available until at least mid-January. As EccentricCircle said, the 40K ones go faster, especially power armor factions. The AoS ones tend to hang out until February or March. There were still Slaves to Darkness forces available at the online retailers until last week! Another comp would be the Apocalypse bundles that came out over the summer. The knight and Tau ones sold out quickly due to relatively high value pieces, but there are still 20+ copies of Eldar, Necron, Mechanicus, and Ork boxes at MiniatureMarket, demonstrating that not all bundles sell out in minutes. The simple fact of diluting demand across 10 SKUs vs. one makes it a more laid back process. Not to mention that they raised prices this year and slightly diminished the savings...