Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

9 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

I think it's probably a way to defend the Intellectual Property to the Old World.  Keep it as an actively used by the company IP which protects it from others.

Also there is a big crowd of folks who still follow GW but haven't made the switch from the Old World to AoS.  Grabs those customers back. 

As well as keep people from Vermintide and Total War in the fold.

I'm psyched about this, i loved 8th ed rank and flank and the old world law.

Hopefully it'll be something that allows cross compatibility of based models with aos somehow. Imagine the possibilities of doing multibase units with models with the quality GW is putting out now! Done well it would look amazing but i doubt they'd go down the KoW unit design route.

Warhammer total war 3 is out next year, dlcs for a further year or 2 after that. Coincidence that this timeline will coincide with a possible relaunch of the old world ready for TW: warhammer origins? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

Yes but why do we need two fantasy systems?  Why do we want to divide the community up like this?  Why do we have to pull in people that hate AOS and just let them play kings of war or whatever is being played instead?  My AOS group has people that are going to be leaving AOS for this and it sucks.

Why? People who hate aos and love fantasy rigth now are playing at 9th age(warhammer fantasy) and dont play to aos.

If people are playing to aos now gonna play to both new fantasy and aos i guess.

So aos wont loose players,people as me that hate aos and havent played for one year gonna jump to fantasy for sure,but i am not playing to aos so it isnt a lost. And maybe those new players that gonna come from 9th or other fantasy game when they play to fantasy maybe they gonna jump also to aos.

So i think is a win for gw because they gonna get all the playerbase of 9th age and a win for aos because they gonna get more players(for sure many of those new players gonna play aos and fantasy at the same time) and gw gonna have more money so more releases for aos.

But in twitch they said gonnna be a forgeworld release,so if it is 100% forgeworld in my opinion gonna be a disaster.

Only gonna bring new players if it is regular gw and plastic minis

Given that they're investing at least three years into developing this (possibly more), I suspect it's going to require mostly new models and won't just be a rule system you can slot old AoS and Fantasy models into. Comparisons to Horus Heresy suggest some major dough on the line.

I like the idea of a game focused on the time period with Sigmar as a mortal. Offers an opportunity for fresh looks at old factions.

6 minutes ago, prochuvi said:

But in twitch they said gonnna be a forgeworld release,so if it is 100% forgeworld in my opinion gonna be a disaster.

Only gonna bring new players if it is regular gw and plastic minis

Forge World games no longer mean they're only resin. Blood Bowl, Necromunda, etc are handled by them and have mostly plastic kits. Lord of the Rings is also handled by them and the new Battle of Pelennor Fields is in plastic. Horus Heresy received plastic MK3/4 marines, etc.

My guess is that it's going to take a Lord of the Rings route - mostly old kits, but with a new plastic starter box. Certain models will come in and out of production as per demand rather than be permanently available (but for a longer period than LCTB) and we'll see brand new units/characters in plastic and resin.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

26 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

Yes but why do we need two fantasy systems?  Why do we want to divide the community up like this?  Why do we have to pull in people that hate WHFB and just let them play 40k or whatever is being played instead?  My WHFB group has people that are going to be leaving WHFB for this and it sucks.

-Scead Dribe, c. 2015

Although I completely understand (and tbh agree with) the core point you're making through parody, it might be worth not being condescending about it.. I don't think we have to ridicule each other to explain your side..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skyeline said:

I don't envision GW firing up production of those plastic kits again.  Who knows what this means for Tomb Kings / Brettonians.

I'm guessing it'll end up similar to how they've done MESBG at this point. With an at time messy rotation of models coming back and disappearing, though they did say something recently on the lines of they're going fix that mess for MESBG and have a more fixed line. So maybe it won't be that bad. There may be some models come back, probably a few waves of made to order too.

14 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Forge World games no longer mean they're only resin. Blood Bowl, Necromunda, etc are handled by them and have mostly plastic kits. Lord of the Rings is also handled by them and the new Battle of Pelennor Fields is in plastic. Horus Heresy received plastic MK3/4 marines, etc.

My guess is that it's going to take a Lord of the Rings route - mostly old kits, but with a new plastic starter box. Certain models will come in and out of production as per demand rather than be permanently available (but for a longer period than LCTB) and we'll see brand new units/characters in plastic and resin.

If this is true and we gonna can play with our plastic dispossesed per example more some new hero or unit of plastic of forgeworld(that be sold by gw because people out of england have to pay one kindney for the traveling fees out of england)  then i gonna be the most dude in the world.

A box of beard wards with dwarfs vs high elf?? Omg if this would be true.....

I hate everything about this. 

The wounds of the WHFB to AOS transition are starting to heal. They announce CoS and get all the oldhammer players excited, yanking their high and dark elf armies and Empire armies out of the attic... Then they announce the old world is coming back? Like who thought this was a good idea? How can this NOT devolve into splitting the community in half? Horrid decision, terrible timing. Classic GW. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 3

Random guy in 2015: 

- GW secrecy is bad, I want to know!

- GW blew up the Old World to protect their IP.

-  You can still play WHFB (without official support), no one forces you to like AoS.

Random Guy in 2019:

- GW revealing their plans years ahead is bad, why would I want to know?

- GW is bringing back the Old World to protect their IP.

- You can still play AoS (with official support), no one forces you to like WHFB.

GW: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  (I just want your money)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Eevika said:

Im dissapointed. I dont see any reason to go back to the old world. I was hoping for Forgeworld Godbeasts to be played in the age of myth and more stories about the early stages of the realms. 

Well, nothing has been confirmed yet. Except for something something Old World.

1 hour ago, Jator said:

I know you already know this, but there's little chance of GW moving away from the 32mm heroic scale. They have to play their strengths, and great sculping is hard to appreciate at that scale.

That being said, I'd love something like Warmaster, even if it keeps a more popular scale as @sandlemad suggested. Heck, whatever keeps us away from individual miniatures removal would be great for me.

I can't really see how two concurrent fantasy battle games set in very similiar worlds with similiar characters can work for GW if the models are the same scale.  They're not gonna bring all the models they've just scrapped back into production. They're not gonna want to confuse the branding by having the same models represent different units. They're not gonna let players use the models they already have if they can get them to buy more.  A different scale would seem to solve all these problems. 

• Like 1

GW only sells AoS on round bases and after next year when they update the last of the range to full 2.0 there won't be a single square or rectangular base left except possible in a forgeworld kit or any legacy stock. 

Basically GW already knows that most of its customers will be on rounds. They can easily get around this by designing a game system that uses movement trays (which most people want to use in rank and file armies anyway) and then simply design the trays so that whatever the base size ;they can fit the right number in each rank and file. 

Of course we are assuming that GW will make the two compatible; which is very likely (it lets them cover some armies - like demons - automatically; whilst also meaning that if one fails they can asborbe it into the other game). Of course where they will differ is that I'd wager we'll see Old World lean toward older style and more "low magic" design ethos. 

Just thinking out loud but this could also be GW future proofing themselves incase they lose the Lord of the Rings contract or it expires and is not renewed. It's an outside contract so its always at risk of changing. If GW knows its under risk they might push their own lower magic setting to replace it. Another angle might be that they feel there just isn't a long life to the Lord of the Rings stuff now that they've covered many of the models and themes from the books and the Silmarillion - whilst a wealth of resources - is a niche of a niche. In addition because its not "their baby" they might not feel inclined to push into new narrative areas for it and be as creative as they might be with their own creation that they've full control over and won't suddenly vanish. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I wonder how, psychologically speaking, players are effected by now knowing that eventually the world ends and all these little battles and rivalries are pointless from a fatalistic perspective.

I guess players play historical games when the real-world end result is known, so maybe it's not a big deal.

I mean, Horus Heresy players know how the Heresy ends. I know my Sons of Horus and Iron Warriors get sent packing into the Eye of Terror, but that doesn't mean each game is 'pointless'.

52 minutes ago, Orsino said:

I can't really see how two concurrent fantasy battle games set in very similiar worlds with similiar characters can work for GW if the models are the same scale.  They're not gonna bring all the models they've just scrapped back into production. They're not gonna want to confuse the branding by having the same models represent different units. They're not gonna let players use the models they already have if they can get them to buy more.  A different scale would seem to solve all these problems. 

Pretty much the same way how two concurrent sci-fantasy battle games set in the very same universe with similar characters and even similar units work for GW. It's really not that big of a deal.

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I hate everything about this. 

The wounds of the WHFB to AOS transition are starting to heal. They announce CoS and get all the oldhammer players excited, yanking their high and dark elf armies and Empire armies out of the attic... Then they announce the old world is coming back? Like who thought this was a good idea? How can this NOT devolve into splitting the community in half? Horrid decision, terrible timing. Classic GW. 

30k didn't split the 40k community.

Chances are by the time this releases, the Cities of Sigmar forces will have evolved into their own AoS-only specific armies anyway.

Also, this will do more to heal the transition. Not to repeat myself, but I think we'll see a lot more WHFB players who were still burnt by AoS' existence considering giving it a try, knowing their old, favourite game is coming back in the future.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

People need to stop comparing to 30k and saying that didn't cannibalise 40k.

This is completely different. 30k starter from scratch with nothing but some lore/background. It's always been an expensive, mostly resin niche. AND a fair bit of it is cross compatible with 40k. 30k also wasnt around for 30 years then killed off 5 years ago. 

This announcement will absolutely affect AOS especially if the models are on different bases and not cross compatible. I feel that would be an enormous mistake. 

This is anecdotal, but with this announcement being so far out, I don't know what I'll do over the next few year after I finish my current army. 

It's impossible to know what will happen to the local community so there's no point buying and building armies now with an uncertain future. 

I'll probably go play underworlds and star wars legion instead, and continue using existing armies but not buying new stuff. No matter how cool hysh elves are, no point investing if 80% of local players go back to WFB. 

It's also a weird business decision. You're announcing a new product that's actually an old product to bring back old players who already have all the old product and just like 10 years ago they probably won't buy whole new armies since they already have them... So what's the point? Obviously that's a huge generalisation but that's part of why WFB died in the first place. That still hasn't changed. People went to Total War because it offered a better WFB experience without the cost. 

You still need new blood or to convert AOS players for this to work. New blood in WFB was always tricky and cannibalising AOS seems counter productive. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1