Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

I'm not fully clued up with GWs business structure but the last paragraph of the old world article mentions people in the warhammer studio  will be working on it.

I assumed that meant it will be a core studio game and not FW? I'm confused where people are coming from with the HH references as the article doesn't really state it will the same structure as HH just that they're similar in that they are the old stories from a core game brought to life I  a game and models?  

If I've missed anything please let me know! I'm very much eager for this to be  a GW not a FW  produced game!

The line between FW and GW is blurry at best. Basically if it uses plastic and is stocked by GW stores even if its FW Designed and made then it will sell differently to if its identical to the HH and made of resins and sold only through FW (esp on the international market) 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, CDM said:

I assumed that meant it will be a core studio game and not FW? I'm confused where people are coming from with the HH references as the article doesn't really state it will the same structure as HH just that they're similar in that they are the old stories from a core game brought to life I  a game and models? 

Nobody knows.

The only thing that we know is that they talked about a new "group" in the Main Studio and that one of the lead designers of Forgeworld was in the video and talking in the stream about TOW. 

People can play whatever they want and like, they won’t keep playing the game they dislike because of what you want

That said, if what you said is true, that last weekend more people in your community were interested in TOW than in AOS, to me it seems aos is just a substitute  of whfb to them. Tow is just a excuse for them to go back, and I am quite happy for them, Sigmar be praised.

+++ MOD EDIT +++ Please refrain from being rude in your replies

Edited by RuneBrush

Gave it some thought, and honestly, who cares.
The kicker being, 3 or more (probably in 2023) years away. It is entirely possible most of the people here may be on hobby hiatus well before then.

Something with nothing but a logo and is a long time away is nothing to really care about. Maybe come 2022 you'll wanna think about it. But until then, just enjoy yourselves while you're still in the hobby rather than concern yourself with almost half a decade out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indecisive said:

Gave it some thought, and honestly, who cares.
The kicker being, 3 or more (probably in 2023) years away. It is entirely possible most of the people here may be on hobby hiatus well before then.

Something with nothing but a logo and is a long time away is nothing to really care about. Maybe come 2022 you'll wanna think about it. But until then, just enjoy yourselves while you're still in the hobby rather than concern yourself with almost half a decade out.

I get what your saying but in three years time look how much AOS has changed I could have been happily collecting high elves and orcs and goblins until this year. 

Now those armies are gone never to return  where are the people who were collecting those armies going to go??? Dwarf cannon lines. Gone. Goblin wolf rider army. Gone. Devoted of sigmar. Barely exists anymore. AOS has torn out a lot from its starting line up and replaced it with armies whose popularity I find questionable. FYreslayers, kharadron, idoneth have good gimmicks but very few people I know collect them. And I have never in my area met an ironjawz collector. 

I think people should be more worried than they are about this. 

52 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

I get what your saying but in three years time look how much AOS has changed I could have been happily collecting high elves and orcs and goblins until this year. 

Now those armies are gone never to return  where are the people who were collecting those armies going to go??? Dwarf cannon lines. Gone. Goblin wolf rider army. Gone. Devoted of sigmar. Barely exists anymore. AOS has torn out a lot from its starting line up and replaced it with armies whose popularity I find questionable. FYreslayers, kharadron, idoneth have good gimmicks but very few people I know collect them. And I have never in my area met an ironjawz collector. 

I think people should be more worried than they are about this. 

Just because those armies aren't popular in your area it doesn't mean they aren't popular elsewhere. In germany WHFB was more popular than 40k in many parts as well but that didn't nearly reflect the sales numbers GW had on a global scale.

1 hour ago, CDM said:

Was there a reveal today? I know it's the open day on the 30th but I could  swear something 40k or AoS was today (20th)?

There’s a bit more about the next part of Psychic Awakening being teased this weekend and the 40k open day is next week.

Im not expecting anything about Warhammer The Old World until next year and even then it could be anything.

• Like 1

I can arrange my collection into fully armed and operational armies for Lizardmen, Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Night Goblins, and all three flavours of Elves (just about) so hopefully all or most of those will get support. Tomb Kings would naturally be my first pick for what to play, just because of how awkward it is to play them in Age of Sigmar. Classic Dwarfs and High elves would also be close contenders for similar reasons.  The only classic Old World faction which I don't have a single miniature for is Chaos Daemons, everything else I've got at least a couple of heros for RPGs and painting projects!

If it ends up being Empire centric then I can probably just about scrape together a force of that using the human bits of my Cities of Sigmar army, but it wouldn't be the best empire army really as half of them are Brettonians, and most of the rest are quite wizard heavy! Maybe the empire troop kits are something to work on in the next 3 years!

18 minutes ago, AaronWilson said:

The real question - what will people be playing!?

I'm going for some sort of elves, Dark elves are my current pick!

Depends on what will be available. If it's the same as in WHFB then it will be Tomb Kings for sure. If it's just factions from the Old World then I'm hoping for Kislev.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AaronWilson said:

The real question - what will people be playing!?

I'm going for some sort of elves, Dark elves are my current pick!

It depends on what the game will be.

• 6/10/15/20mm scale? Wood elves have a good chance, I can use them as fey creatures in other games. Lizardmen are also an option for the same reason (if I am going to bother with the game at all if the scale is different, which isn't a given).
  • Heroic scale requiring lots of mini's? Empire. I have enough to probably field one army in this scale (some 5.5 to 6k points)
  • Heroic scale similar amount of minis to AoS? Probably still Empire, but Bretonnia, Dwarves and Lizardmen are also contenders.  Vampire counts or Beastmen would come knocking for their ability to be used as D&D minis.
  • Heroic scale small amount of models neccessary? Some undead faction or beastmen would rank quite highly, as well as lizards (if the models are good enough).
Edited by zilberfrid

2 hours ago, madmac said:

If I do go for the old world, I imagine it would be broadly the same as my AoS armies-Elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen, and Ogres.

Though a brand new set of Empire or Brettonian models would certainly be tempting.

I don’t see GW or Forgeworld releasing redesigned units from existing mode kits and well  supported AoS armies. Maybe some special characters, command units or signature units.

the only full releases I think we’ll see will be Tomb Kings, Bretonnia, and Lizardmen and they might even just be re-releases of the old line.

Based on nothing but speculation of course.

13 minutes ago, Vomikron said:

I don’t see GW or Forgeworld releasing redesigned units from existing mode kits and well  supported AoS armies. Maybe some special characters, command units or signature units.

the only full releases I think we’ll see will be Tomb Kings, Bretonnia, and Lizardmen and they might even just be re-releases of the old line.

It's a three year wait, so there's got to be some kind of new models, probably an entire army(or more than one) basically getting the Sister's Battle treatment and getting completely redone. Other that I expect it to look a lot like the relaunch of Lord of the Rings where some old kits are brought back in to production, new sculpts for heroes and characters (the ones that aren't in a wholly redone army) and a healthy dose of made to order. 

Either way, I'm not super worried about new models since I've got a Dwarf army of mostly circa-3rd and 4th edition models that I need to get repainted.

7 hours ago, Vomikron said:

Unlikely. Those models are really old compared to todays standards. GW is releasing systems to sell models. Putting in the effort and ressources of 3+ years to create a new system just to sell outdated models makes no sense whatsoever.

32 minutes ago, Panzer said:

Unlikely. Those models are really old compared to todays standards. GW is releasing systems to sell models. Putting in the effort and ressources of 3+ years to create a new system just to sell outdated models makes no sense whatsoever.

Creating new models is really expensive. Its not viable for GW to pump a lot of ressources into a game that may bomb. 

Just look at 30K. That game was/is a cash cow and GW only produced a handfull of plastic kits! 

2 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Creating new models is really expensive. Its not viable for GW to pump a lot of ressources into a game that may bomb. 

Just look at 30K. That game was/is a cash cow and GW only produced a handfull of plastic kits! 

If they think it may bomb they wouldn't do it at all obviously.