Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

3 hours ago, karch said:

It ticks the old world and square bases boxes, and I'd certainly love new minis for it but:

1.- I don't see big centerpiece plastic GW going back to 10mm

2.- The base in the video is very much a WHFB base.

GW just released Aeronautica Imperialis and Adeptus Titanicus is rather popular too. I think an epic style fantasy game has become more likely recently. 

But I think the mortal realms would be better suited since GW has so much more space to play in. Kharadron Skyfleets, big Idoneth monster, Ironweld Arsenal constructs, etc... 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MOMUS said:

Everyone getting so heated about what kind of basing has obviously forgotten

”bases don’t matter”

Exactly. Most of our AoS minis are in squares, and although we measure base to base we try not to gain an unfair advantage about it (although in my worldview a wall of pikes/spears should be exactly that).

2 hours ago, Still-young said:

10mm doesn’t preclude big centrepieces. It just means they’re bigger in relation to troops.

My warmaster HE dragon is barely taller than a SCE mini.  I really don't think that's where they're going.

This is an obvious bone thrown to the people still playing in square-base world (whatever the ruleset). Bringing warmaster back is a much smaller addressable market.

Edited by karch

10 minutes ago, karch said:

Exactly. Most of our AoS minis are in squares, and although we measure base to base we try not to gain an unfair advantage about it (although in my worldview a wall of pikes/spears should be exactly that).

My warmaster HE dragon is barely taller than a SCE mini.  I really don't think that's where they're going.

This is an obvious bone thrown to the people still playing in square-base world (whatever the ruleset). Bringing warmaster back is a much smaller addressable market.

Warmaster was made years ago with different technology and before the “centrepiece” era. I don’t think it’s particularly likely to be Warmaster scale, but warmaster scale doesn’t preclude big models inherently. 

Edited by Still-young

I'd love it to be Warmaster.

It would scratch the "rank and file war simulation" itch, while being completely distinct from AoS (i.e. no chance of confusing cross-contamination or direct threat to AoS).

That said, I guess GW will want to double-dip on the miniatures, so I guess it will be 28 mm or 32 mm, or whatever.

Edited by Kyriakin

7 hours ago, Moldek said:

Can we please not get into a fantasy vs aos match, especially based on the idea that one is good and the other bad? Especially while getting upset at the completely imaginary harm that one would do to the other?

GW really should've waited until they had something a bit more concrete than a logo. Absolutely nothing to go off breeds speculation wild as nothing else.

As someone who loves 30k (I love the aesthetic, the narrative, and the community) I am excited for this. In the US anyway, 30k has created a way for folks more interested in the hobby and narrative to come together that would otherwise be hard to create if we all spread out in the broader 40k community. 

For many of us in the 30k community, I’m not sure we would necessarily be big consumers of 40k even if 30k didn’t exist. I personally wouldn’t really engage in 40k even if 30k didn’t exist. I wouldn’t be worried about the old world fracturing the AoS community.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

GW really should've waited until they had something a bit more concrete than a logo. Absolutely nothing to go off breeds speculation wild as nothing else.

I don’t know why they announced it like that, but maybe they want to gauge the community’s reaction before deciding their guidelines from the game. Let’s be honest, there’ll always be some crazy speculations. I find it interesting to hear everyone’s expectations and fears.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I wouldn't want Warmaster back anyway. That game had serious design flaws that often made it no fun at all to play.

I want it back - even more so for AoS. See its the ideal scale to do really big battles. To siege a castle; to have godbeasts on the table; to really get a flavour for rank after rank of undead warriors or marauding chaos bashing against a thin line of tough stormcast. You can't recreate that in the current scale without spending a whole weekend playing in a big area which will often end up being more of a social event where every few hours you stop talking to take your part of the turn.

Sure the rules can be updated, that's not an issue in my view. The issue is purely GW delivering such a product and making it profitable, popular and lasting.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Gecktron said:

GW just released Aeronautica Imperialis and Adeptus Titanicus is rather popular too. I think an epic style fantasy game has become more likely recently. 

But I think the mortal realms would be better suited since GW has so much more space to play in. Kharadron Skyfleets, big Idoneth monster, Ironweld Arsenal constructs, etc... 

An Epic scale warhammer fantasy game is all I've ever wanted. But yes, AoS really would suit a small scale game. It's a shame it's unlikely to happen. Even if they did I'd presume they would go 10mm as too not push away the warmaster crowd.

I already have a huge collection of 6mm fantasy and I've been really tempted to push all my other projects out of the way and finally get a lot of it painted. I'd love to run something like war of the beard or the battle for black fire pass in 6mm with some truly spectacular terrain.

Godbeasts and cogforts would be amazing to see on the table in small scale. Certainly 6mm AoS is something that makes me want to get a 3D printer even more (though I'm getting close to getting one anyway for Epic)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Don't get me wrong, I want Epic-scaled fantasy. I just don't want Warmaster. Any game where a single roll can mean you don't get to play with any of your toys in a given turn ... well ... that's just misery on the table top.

I have most of my warmaster minis rebased for minihammer (basically half-scale warhammer or in this case 9th age, the advantage being you can play it on your average kitchen table.)

I've always thought kow works better in smaller than 28mm so there's an option there too.

Edited by karch

The more I see and read the more I want it to be whfb, with new rules but in warmaster scale. Rank after rank with gun lines and buckets of dice is what I want from rank and flank. They could create some great centerpieces never seen before. Siege engines! Fortresses! War mammoths on Masse! But I dont want all this for a huge upfront cost, I'd like to see all the TWW crowd come on board with big armies. Would be great for the game.

I really do see the appeal though of cross play minis but i dont think we'll get the range if it is. Probably restricted to 4-6 factions unfortunately .  

Not sure if I've missed something but I dont see this as a FW studio game and I dont think we will see square bases in 28-32mm, if they're doing that scale and it's new models, then they're doing round bases, they would want you to use them in both systems, I see round bases on square trays 

• Like 3

I see the issues with very positive eyes.

Lets think about the best case scenario, shall we?

- Modern models for classic Heroes (Settra returns!)

- Insert trays for both square and round bases

- Fans of the Old lore, Total War and new players will be able to experience WHFB lore!

- What if the AoS 3.0  gives rules to interchange armies bettwen systems? AoS Brettonians! Idoneth in WHFB games! No lore, just rules so we can play with our toys and create our own lore.

- New models to proxy or conversions! (currently FW barely does AoS stuff anyways)!

I see a very positive future regarding this news!

• Like 2

Yeah I agree that a 10 or 6mm epic battle game could be awesome; but I’d be really surprised if they did that.

for one, the old warhammer fans would go ballistic about having no way to re-use their old armies

secondly, I don’t think they’ll go back to making very small infantry, as a huge part of GW’s appeal is the beautiful sculpts. Way harder sell on very small models, and there’s a lot of competition already existing, pretty cheap, at that scale you don’t see that much difference.

I’d be willing to bet it’s going to be the same scale as aos, which also allows them to recoup their losses if the game fails, by integrating at least part of the models into aos.

48 minutes ago, Panzer said:

Warmaster scale could be nice with modern miniature production methods but I prefer the regular 28mm scale and imo it's much more likely to be the case too.

For me, the problem would not be the skill of the miniature maker, but the skill of the painter to make it look good. ie myself.

That, and the compatibility of course.

29 minutes ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

I'd love to see some of the classic greenskin characters of the 90s redone :D

Oh for sure, yes!

For the most part, goblin heroes still remain great but I'd love a redone plastic Grom. I love the original model a lot but it's just so small and far too compact!! I'd love to see it redone with a chariot fit for the goblin king!

The elven dragons would be another set I'd like too see redone. The dark elves plastic dragon is lovely and even that is pretty old now.

3 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

For me, the problem would not be the skill of the miniature maker, but the skill of the painter to make it look good. ie myself.

That, and the compatibility of course.

I found, surprisingly, after painting 6mm exclusively for a few years, I learnt more about painting and it helped increase my skill in 28mm scale a lot more than any amount of practice I put into the larger stuff before.  And my 6mm stuff was never the stuff of high legends! There are some truly mind blowing 6mm painters out there. But 6mm (and 10mm) can look just as good with a wash and a drybrush as larger scale stuff does. The amount of detail on new 6mm models is insane. I've even managed to paint eyes on some of my orcs & trolls at that scale, though it's not something I'd do all the time as it would drive you insane!

But compatibility is the main issue. I'd love warmaster to come back, but I very much doubt they would, not at first at least. There would be an outcry of hatred if GW did that- I'm sure people would feel they had been led on.

I would just like to say that I have been heartened by the overall sensibility and thoughtfulness of this thread.  This was quite a big stone that GW threw in the pond and the responses, whilst articulating possible fears and worries alongside future speculation, have been pretty much thoughtful and without hyperbole, generally reasonable in tone.  When I compare this to some of what was said when AOS was formed, I have to say it makes me happy to see this community taking things like this in its stride and be able to discuss it with such consideration.  Long may it continue. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • LOVE IT! 2