Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

My knee-****** reaction was that this is bizarre given they're still in the long proccess of squatting old world stuff,  a load was removed with CoS and it seems strange to be planning to restore stuff at this stage. 

But logically,  this probably isn't gonna be a restoration in the sense of letting people use their old models or having dual warscrolls for models.  That wouldn't take years to introduce and it wouldn't make GW much money. 

More likely this is gonna be very much it's own thing with it's own models. A different scale seems very possible as that would prevent people using models they already own. 

Edited by Orsino

The timing of this seems odd to me considering all of the cities of sigmar / greenskins models that were discontinued this year.  I don't envision GW firing up production of those plastic kits again.  Who knows what this means for Tomb Kings / Brettonians.

The biggest question for me right now is who is spearheading this? Is this a GW or Forgeworld project? I'm assuming the latter, but we don't really know for now. 

Overall, I'm skeptical about all of this. I suppose if this gets me new sculpts of old models I really liked then I'll be happy. It'll certainly be interesting to see how this plays out over the years to come given how far away all of this realistically is.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

3) GW knows that its a long way off and every day since the end of Old World meant more of that fanbase either drifts away from GW or even model making. So this news is designed to engage them before more are lost. Remember in 2 or 3 yeares time the idea of GW bringing the whole game back (let alone any removed factions) is likely to be near impossible without this bit of news

4) It's a warning to GW's competitors in the rank and file market; they've now got a few years to either shift tactics or really solidify themselves. GW is basically throwing down a gauntlet at them. It also might help discourage some 3rd parties even starting up the idea if they think that GW is going to muscle back in (of course at the same time others are going to rub their hands with glee at being able to 3rd party supply GW fanswith a fresh wave of model types

My own guess goes in that direction. I still think BB was revived just to prevent other companies from making money from it.

50 minutes ago, Nostok said:

Is it possible that it is also they intend to have a whole swath of novels to cover this period of Old World history.

No need for new novels when tehy have tons setled in the Old World. The lore needs almost 0 investment.

13 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

If they announce that it's going to be a 6mm "Epic" system, then I'll agree with the above.

I know you already know this, but there's little chance of GW moving away from the 32mm heroic scale. They have to play their strengths, and great sculping is hard to appreciate at that scale.

That being said, I'd love something like Warmaster, even if it keeps a more popular scale as @sandlemad suggested. Heck, whatever keeps us away from individual miniatures removal would be great for me.

51 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

I wonder how, psychologically speaking, players are effected by now knowing that eventually the world ends and all these little battles and rivalries are pointless from a fatalistic perspective.

I guess players play historical games when the real-world end result is known, so maybe it's not a big deal.

It's GW- If they're fine with alternate dimensions, I'm sure they wouldn't be opposed to alternate timelines...

As much as I love the Old World, I am all in for Age of Sigmar. I almost can't believe my own reaction but hearing this new news this morning I was like 'meh, that's nice I guess'.

Happy for all the people who are excited about this though.

Edited by Greyshadow
  • Like 1

Hey, we can play both settings!! 
We don't know how are they going to design the mechanics of the game or what type of bases are going ot use. So imagine if we have round bases with square movements trays. that means A LOT of new possible miniatures for both settings (and a lot of bits for conversions). I'm really optimistic about this reveal.

Here's one possible idea of a reasonable scope for an Old World game (I'm only interested in setting here, not shapes of bases or potential rulesets).

• The Empire, stripped down to the core conflicts.
  • Initial offering is a box with Empire stuff and Chaos stuff (whatever mix of Chaos stuff they fancy - Warriors, Gors, Daemons, whatever).  All new sculpts.  Some of them (but not all) would be AoS compatible to help drive initial sales.
  • Later, add on some Greenskins.
  • Later, add on some Vampires.
  • This would be the entire initial commitment.  If it does well, then maybe make a second pass, with some Dwarfs and Elves, maybe Brets.  Expand Chaos.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

What do people think about how early this was announced?

No idea what to make of it. It strikes me as premature since there's virtually no substance to it, but maybe gauging the reaction was largely the point. Trying to build hype for something SO far away feels downright silly. 

6 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

I personally don’t mind how early it is. But I do how little info it is. See the negativity in this thread. Same goes for the positives. All of that is based* on massive assumptions. And that is a shame in my mind. 
*hehe see what I did there

4 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

I think it was a mistake, honestly; even if only from a business standpoint, they just telegraphed a project they'll be working on for 2+ years to everyone for some reason.

Also, I feel AoS is finally on its feet with 2.0, and could only seem sturdier in two years; this doesn't help with AoS feeling "legitimate" to people who remember oldhammer. I'd have waited, anyway.

Eh it's not silly but sensible; esp since this is a big project. Now GW's customers know this big thing is coming and we'll do more work marketing and hyping it up than GW ever could. Heck look at the threads we've got here on an AoS site as well as all the stuff in other forums and FB - its erupted and all GW has siad that in 3 or so years it might happen. 

• Like 1

Yes but why do we need two fantasy systems?  Why do we want to divide the community up like this?  Why do we have to pull in people that hate AOS and just let them play kings of war or whatever is being played instead?  My AOS group has people that are going to be leaving AOS for this and it sucks.

Edited by Dead Scribe
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

Yes but why do we need two fantasy systems?  Why do we want to divide the community up like this?  Why do we have to pull in people that hate AOS and just let them play kings of war or whatever is being played instead?  My AOS group has people that are going to be leaving AOS for this and it sucks.

Yes but why do we need two fantasy systems?  Why do we want to divide the community up like this?  Why do we have to pull in people that hate WHFB and just let them play 40k or whatever is being played instead?  My WHFB group has people that are going to be leaving WHFB for this and it sucks.

-Scead Dribe, c. 2015

Edited by Deepkin
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

Eh it's not silly but sensible; esp since this is a big project. Now GW's customers know this big thing is coming and we'll do more work marketing and hyping it up than GW ever could. Heck look at the threads we've got here on an AoS site as well as all the stuff in other forums and FB - its erupted and all GW has siad that in 3 or so years it might happen. 

Totally agree; I’ve lost count on the number of times I’ve read people lamenting the lack of communication from GW, or the sudden new releases that triggered fear of missing out, or the lack of visibility in their release schedule, or that they don’t listen to the community...

Announcing this early allows them to gauge reactions, anticipate pitfalls, see what people want / fear... they’re listening to us. 

I also don’t believe it’s a cynical cash grab. Sure they have determined it should be financially viable before deciding to invest millions into it; but I have zero doubt that it will be a labor of love for the designers, writers and artists involved. They are as nerdy as we are :)

Finally I agree that a « historical » approach focusing on different periods of warhammer history would be the most interesting and easy to add to.

I think it's probably a way to defend the Intellectual Property to the Old World.  Keep it as an actively used by the company IP which protects it from others.

Also there is a big crowd of folks who still follow GW but haven't made the switch from the Old World to AoS.  Grabs those customers back. 

34 minutes ago, Jator said:

I know you already know this, but there's little chance of GW moving away from the 32mm heroic scale. They have to play their strengths, and great sculping is hard to appreciate at that scale.

That being said, I'd love something like Warmaster, even if it keeps a more popular scale as @sandlemad suggested. Heck, whatever keeps us away from individual miniatures removal would be great for me.

Well first of all, GW games are 28mm heroic scale and secondly, they have a game called Adeptus Titanicus that is 8mm scale.

• Like 1

Ahahahahahaha. This is the best news in years. Brilliant.

I don't think this will split the playerbase. Remember how poor AoS first year was? The majority of AoS players are new to the system. Most WHFB players who're playing AoS probably still have the vast majority of their collection in storage, particularly since by the time many returned from the initial shock of AoS, much of the old range had been squat'ed. Also, as has been said, 30k didn't split the 40k playerbase.  Another thing to consider is that many WHFB players who swore off AoS due to it's lingering taint of having killed off the game they loved will probably consider dipping their toes into it for the first time.

I predict in the coming years we'll see quite a few "I've been staying away from AoS after WHFB died for it, but now it's coming back I thought I'd try it..." posts on the Introduction forum..

What I am curious about is how the kits will work. Is this going to be a LotR situation where older moulds are brought back (and occasionally withdrawn, then put back in) from those that have since been squat'ed, or are we going to see whole new ranges of new miniatures? 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1