Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

As fantasy lover (but that i never played it) i am very excited and moreover as city of sigmar player.

I really want try as fantasy was played  and even if the game isnt played here where i live or i dont like, i gonna get every human,dwarf, high elf etc mini that i like to use it in my citys army in aos.

But its a shame that it be in that timeframe, i love the heroes of end times as ungrim,thorgrim etc that arent in this old worl time

I think they'll have all the classic races, probably they learnt the lesson from 30k. Plus this is not 40k, where by virtue of marketing and releases they accomplished the awesome feat of having incredible SM dominance in the number of lists.

I also love that they chose to highlight Bretonnia; I recently acquired some old Bret sculpts for a thematic small force and I would be very happy to combine them with new sculpts for a force full of flavour.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Man this looks so great- Bretonnia and Wood Elves so prominent ! I think having a good mix of races is what makes fantasy work so well [as it does in AoS]. Nice they are setting it in an earlier period. Really looking forward to seeing the miniatures they bring out for this - the leap forward in the quality of sculpts recently they could do amazing things. I wonder how will be plastic and how much resin? Norse Dwarfs/dwarfs/Wood Elves/Brettonia... all very appealing.. Plus the options of kit bashing across systems- a lot of these things could find their way into AoS..

50 minutes ago, silverstu said:

Man this looks so great- Bretonnia and Wood Elves so prominent ! I think having a good mix of races is what makes fantasy work so well [as it does in AoS]. Nice they are setting it in an earlier period. Really looking forward to seeing the miniatures they bring out for this - the leap forward in the quality of sculpts recently they could do amazing things. I wonder how will be plastic and how much resin? Norse Dwarfs/dwarfs/Wood Elves/Brettonia... all very appealing.. Plus the options of kit bashing across systems- a lot of these things could find their way into AoS..

And Chaos Dwarfs don't even need redoing. They are already here. With square bases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Isn’t it crazy that OVER A YEAR has passed sonce the original announcement for this? It feels like just a few months ago. COVID life has really compressed the year for me...

Per the original announcement we still be 2 years away from release though. The anticipation is... guuuuuuhhhhhhh *incoherent groaning intensifies*

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Two years feel like a very short timeframe for the release date. I'd feel more confident in the release date, if they'd shown CAD models and the scale of the ToW project with this update.

It's probably safe to assume that everything will be delayed by another year due to COVID. All other GW releases sure seem to be about a year late, judging from rumour engines and how long Sons of Behemat took to come out.

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

I would add that they started showing Adeptas Sororitas one year before the release with some Z models. If The Old World is 2 years away, It's understandable to only see some concepts, some maps, etc... and wait for a more juicy things in one year (or more).

True, but they could at least tell us the scale of the miniatures.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's probably safe to assume that everything will be delayed by another year due to COVID.

The virus isn't helping, however two years are rather short even in a normal scenario. If it's the scenario where multiple tools need to be developed, approved and run without taking technological shortcuts or overtime for factory workers, a single year to the timeframe is more than welcomed.

They said themselves in the article the game is still in very early stages. I don't see it coming in two years.

Honestly, their "hype engine" is getting silly at this point. We have articles showing us a map and say "hey we're still working on the Old World !". That's all, really. There is nothing to hype about for such a long term plan.

They really have to fill the Warhammer Community with daily articles at all costs, that's why they're writing about the Old World so early.

• Like 1

Is anyone a bit intimidated by The Old World "so called" Comunity? I just checked some forums and there is a lot of hostility towards anyone that enjoys AoS. I'm not saying: "I don't like AoS"  but "I hope AoS is retconned and everybody moves on as it never happened".

I really want to play The Old World (currently playing 6th edition from time to time), but I it's hard to be part of a toxic community.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Is anyone a bit intimidated by The Old World "so called" Comunity? I just checked some forums and there is a lot of hostility towards anyone that enjoys AoS. I'm not saying: "I don't like AoS"  but "I hope AoS is retconned and everybody moves on as it never happened".

I really want to play The Old World (currently playing 6th edition from time to time), but I it's hard to be part of a toxic community.

Yeah that is the thing that worries me the most. I remember fantasy having a fair few toxic players like that back in the day and it seems it has become significantly worse over the years. Conversely, I think a number of people who have started in AOS seem more open and inclusive and maybe we will win over a few people by letting them proxy their High Elves as Lumineth or run their empire soldiers as free guild. Assuming that the scale and models are easily proxied.

But overall I feel like AOS fans seem very keen on getting people interested in the system and it is pretty pick up and go. I assume that Old World will be streamlined from Fantasy which will be enough to make a few former Fantasy players I know upset. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

If it’s a success I think you’ll find enough people who play both and probably the community will become more open. Or at least you’ll find other like minded players. 

Having their toys back alone might changes things a bit. Part of it is definitely sulking because Fantasy was abandoned for THAT. I felt the same for a long time. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Beliman said:

That's a weird thing I have been seeing too. Although frequetly it has not even been "I hope The Old World replaces Age of Sigmar" but "No point getting into AoS anymore now that The Old World will replace it". Some of this has come from people who have only played Total War Warhammer and have never played any tabletop games at all, and I think in that case it's mostly confusion about the announcement of TOW. For anyone who pays attention, it should be obvious that GW won't discontinue AoS anytime soon with how well the game sells. But I have seen the same sentiment from highly enfranchised Fantasy players (grognards) as well, where I can only assume it's caused by a dwarf-level grudge against AoS.

• Like 1

Folks, it is only natural that some people hold a grudge against AoS. Not only it changed the way the game was played, it also instantly deleted support to people's collections and a setting they were invested in. I would expect something similar would happen if now AoS gets replaced by TOW, and bobobobs (KO), along with some other factions, get squatted. And this, keeping in mind AoS is 5-6 years old, whereas WHFB had 2-3 decades behind!

Of course, you already know all of this, but I think it needed to be said. Now, if GW can truly support both systems, I think this seems like a win-win situation. For those preferring skirmish and AoS, some extra sculpts for bits or cool conversions, the chances to play other systems with the same minis (or part of), this is all good. Then the "grognards" can come back home. Or not! I hope this doesn't kill KoW, as I believe we truly need more competition, though.

• Like 3

Honestly it's the internet, you're going to get people who say silly things, but personally as an old whfb player, I've moved on. I don't know how people can get excited about something we know nothing about. I will also be surprised if GW will let people use their old armies in some capacity. According to people who worked at the company even though it's better, they're very focused on profit, after all they're still a business. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

The AoS community has been and often is just as toxic towards TOW. Every time an old WHFB kit is squat'ed, even without replacement, there's a vocal number of people who cheer for it and WHFB players are often dismissed as 'grogs' who need to 'get with the times' and especially on Facebook groups a lot of AoS players will gleefully rant about how WHFB is a dead game, they hope TOW will fail, etc. Hell on TGA it didn't feel like TOW's announcement was received well, there was a good deal of support but most of it was lukewarm-to-negative.

If anything I'd say the former community WHFB has become far more open minded about AoS because of TOW, simply because it's no longer "the game that WHFB died for" and will be "the game that exists alongside it."

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

• Subscriber

Showing off progress so early on could be a double edged sword. I'm not sure if they are good examples, but I'm thinking of No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk 2077 showed how not to do it. By over hyping years in advance, by the time it's released it will never live up to what people are expecting. I guess they did a similar thing with a long lead in to the Sister of Battle release, but at least we knew the game and scale, etc those would be in.

One good thing is that GW/FWW have experience of managing two games systems before, such as 30k and 40K. 30k is even running on an older set of 40k rules. Now I'm not as much of a gamer as such, but I think those rules work ok. I could see TOW and AOS working the same way. Some stuff might be able to cross over, but I see no reason they can't be separate game systems and people play either, both or neither. 

As for AoS I didn't like it when it first happened, didn't like the destruction of the background I'd grown up with, but eventually once they started fleshing out the mortal realms, I found myself liking parts of it. 2+ Tough on youtube helped with that, with his videos explaining the new fluff getting me to care about it. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The AoS community has been and often is just as toxic towards TOW. Every time an old WHFB kit is squat'ed, even without replacement, there's a vocal number of people who cheer for it and WHFB players are often dismissed as 'grogs' who need to 'get with the times'. TOW's announcement was not received well here at all.

Completely disagree.

You are in the most AoS fan forum that I know and you can count in one hand how many people trash-talked about TOW. That's not even close to anything that I read today. And I'm not defending them, I really want TOW to be a BIG thing (I'm a Fantasy fan btw and that behaviour should not be tolerated).

I never saw anyone in this forum that wanted Fantasy players to get hurt (post from 2019).

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1